Massachusetts' Cheap Ass Gamers Topic!

Kidtrunks1128

CAG Veteran
I've noticed over my time here at the forum that one of the largest problems is trying to locate where the deals exist. I recently had a problem locating an existing deal in my area, Massachusetts. So I propose this topic is for Massachusets Cheap Ass Gamers who want to help and can request it here. Here we go!d by

So far I've found that the Circuit City in Natick has the really cheap prices. What I mean is I've bought both Breath of Fire V and Freaky Flyers for $7 each.

I've checked out the Circuit City in Braintree, and they too have Breath of Fire V for around $7, although I don't know what other deals they have.

Target in Westboro has some cheap titles, although their selection is dominated by newer releases. I was able to pick up Summer Heat Beach Volleyball for $5.23.

I'm heading to the Marlboro Target tomorrow to see what they've got. I heard someone was able to purchase Arc the Lad for $5. If this is true, and I can find it, I'll be extatic.

For all the Cheap Ass Gamers in Massachusetts, let's give eachother a big hand. Thanks.

Anyway, to the moderators, if this topic doesn't belong here please move it.

Yeah the water thing was pretty crazy. They closed a good chunk of the street and it made for awful morning traffic. Any idea if they are planning to re-open before closing indefinitely, or are they pretty much done?

FYI for anyone in SE Mass. who doesn't have the original Phoenix Wright yet--I picked this up at the Brockton TRU for $19.99 the other day, and there were probably at least 4 or 5 copies left. Definitely worth a look if you're in the area.

The Cambridge Galleria Best Buy isn't supposed to open up again until like June or July. I heard they are going to renovate the store before opening it up again.

Has anyone tried to use the 40$ off 199 circuit city coupon around here? I have the 1/31 scan coupon. I am thinking of going down to the one in Natick and get the hd dvd player for xbox 360. LMK

Thanks
Chris!

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']The Cambridge Galleria Best Buy isn't supposed to open up again until like June or July. I heard they are going to renovate the store before opening it up again.[/quote]
Ahh, that's great news, thanks! I'm just glad they might be coming back at all. It's a very convenient location for me, and I was bummed when they closed.

[quote name='tubsy3']Has anyone tried to use the 40$ off 199 circuit city coupon around here? I have the 1/31 scan coupon. I am thinking of going down to the one in Natick and get the hd dvd player for xbox 360. LMK

Thanks
Chris![/QUOTE]
I got shot down in Somerville but no prob at the new 1 in South bay. Got me a Zen Vision:m for 160

Suburban Boston CAGer here. Anyone else raid Shopper's World/Natick Mall/ and the surrounding stores?

Anybody know which CompUSA stores are closing in Eastern Mass? I'm looking to get a new LCD and figured I might as well take a look.

Did the EB at Copley disappear permanently? And when? Should have known something was funky right before X mas or was it New Year's that it was paper'd up, racks down, games on floor and the drones scurrying about.

Figured they were just remodeling or being shuffled, but it's going to be A|X with no indication that it's gonna be back anywhere.

fucker's could of at least said something. What the hell happens to pre-orders with down payments? Transfer to GS or screwed?

Eh, if I hadn't been there in months then I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

-----------

ETA:

Damn, they got kicked out by the mall along with some other stores so they could go full snob. Pffft. I don't have the article, but it was in the Jan.15 Boston Herald (subsribes to B. Globe). I liked EB a lot more than the Pru GS. RIP.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']All of the MA Compusa stores should be closing except for the one in HolyOKe (sp?)[/QUOTE]

WHAT THE fuckING HELL!!!!

That one is shit, I mean shit!

First they close the only good TRU within like 50 miles, and keep the bad one open,and now they are keeping open the bad CompUSA!

I hate this! I miss all the fucking sales!

[quote name='moiety']Ahh, that's great news, thanks! I'm just glad they might be coming back at all. It's a very convenient location for me, and I was bummed when they closed.[/quote]

yea, i was really worried cuz thas the BB i go to the most often. i really dont like the one at South Bay. the game selection was pathetic when i checked a few weeks ago

[quote name='Hibiwa']Damn, they got kicked out by the mall along with some other stores so they could go full snob. Pffft. I don't have the article, but it was in the Jan.15 Boston Herald (subsribes to B. Globe). I liked EB a lot more than the Pru GS. RIP.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. I used to be an ASM there for a long time. I even got my Wii there.

[quote name='nazrad']That sucks. I used to be an ASM there for a long time. I even got my Wii there.[/QUOTE]

Only bought one thing in there (I, like most males, don't really go into Copley) a few years back, but it was nice knowing there was an EB around if I needed to get something.

Now there's what, 3 BB's in a mile radius?

[quote name='nazrad']That sucks. I used to be an ASM there for a long time. I even got my Wii there.[/QUOTE]

Were you there before or after the GS buyout? There was only one guy that was the assistant manager? (post takeover) that worked most days up until the EB closed.

The Copley EB was a great escape from the clothing stores. Better organized and easier to navigate than the way crowded overemployed Pru GS.

Need to add some spit for sending my EB preorder into limbo with no notice. I guess I have to head over to GS and ask for my $5. I can right?

I only found that EB a few weeks before they closed. Really pissed me off when they left. I work across the street from the convention center, so it's nice to have a game store nearby, but the GS in the Pru really sucks. Poor layout, pushy staff, and terrible selection.

The manager there is particularly bad. Up until last August, I spent four years managing an EB in western MA, so I know the sales pitches by heart. After getting hit with every line in the book by this guy, I finally tell him that I was a former manager, figuring that he would lay off, knowing that it's a waste of time. Instead of stopping, he tells me "Oh, then you know all about what a great deal preordering is. What can I put you down for?"

I also heard the ASM bragging about how he'd won a $100 bet because a kid got shot and killed over a PS3. This was in the middle of a crowded store at Christmas time.

I hate that store, and if there was any other convenient option in the area, I'd stay out for good. I hope the Best Buy moves into the Tower Records spot soon.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Were you there before or after the GS buyout? There was only one guy that was the assistant manager? (post takeover) that worked most days up until the EB closed[/QUOTE]

I left there about 3 1/2 years ago. So before the merger.

Hey all, I've been a CAG lurker but now that I found this form I will be posting more I think!

Anyway I live right near Cambridgeside mall and right now there is NOTHING in there and that place isn't getting open any time soon.

Anyway I don't spend more than $20 for games so I'm always looking around for deals. Other than the KMart in Somerville (killer7 for $10 etc) and a few $15 games at CC in Somerville I have not found any good spots for clearance items. The Sears at Cambridgeside has nothing.

Just saying 'hi' to all and hopfully I will have some good stuff to share.

Too many people in Boston are CAGs that are limited by public transportation. ( like myself. ) So usually, in order to get an even semi-decent deal, you have to find a means of transportation away from areas that are easily accessible via the T.

[quote name='BrandonMills']Too many people in Boston are CAGs that are limited by public transportation. ( like myself. ) So usually, in order to get an even semi-decent deal, you have to find a means of transportation away from areas that are easily accessible via the T.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, pretty much the only store I ever go to is Landmark BB, which is a black hole for any deals given the foot traffic in there. I end up even buying the stuff on sale in a week or two ahead of time and going back and price matching since they're so often out of what's on sale.

Could swear there's a BB coming up right on the Everett / Malden / Medford line right near Wellington circle...doesn't show up on the website store locator yet.

Ya O-Dog there is one near the Mellon Bank building around the rotery. I saw the sign about a week ago, no idea when it will be opening.

[quote name='Chadt74']Ya O-Dog there is one near the Mellon Bank building around the rotery. I saw the sign about a week ago, no idea when it will be opening.[/quote]

yea, that's about 5 min away from where i live so that's gonna be sweet. i dont need to drive all the way to the cambridgeside or saugus ones anymore. i'm curious when it'll open tho.

but i'm glad the cambridgeside one is gonna reopen soon too.

[quote name='lordwow']Agreed, pretty much the only store I ever go to is Landmark BB, which is a black hole for any deals given the foot traffic in there. I end up even buying the stuff on sale in a week or two ahead of time and going back and price matching since they're so often out of what's on sale.[/quote]

Went to Landmark and Cambridgeside recently and both are pathetic. I did manage to find the old Transformers game for $10. That was a nice surprise.

I imagined the redo would give the mall store a boost, but nope, it still blows. The old airplane hangar feel is intact. Now it comes with lighter grey carpeting and angled aisles. W00t! Bleh.

Let's hope the Newbury St. store becomes the flagship, but I doubt it. It's going to have even MORE foot traffic to thwart any deal finding.

Is there really any point venturing into these stores anymore?

[quote name='Hibiwa']Went to Landmark and Cambridgeside recently and both are pathetic. I did manage to find the old Transformers game for $10. That was a nice surprise.

I imagined the redo would give the mall store a boost, but nope, it still blows. The old airplane hangar feel is intact. Now it comes with lighter grey carpeting and angled aisles. W00t! Bleh.

Let's hope the Newbury St. store becomes the flagship, but I doubt it. It's going to have even MORE foot traffic to thwart any deal finding.

Is there really any point venturing into these stores anymore?[/QUOTE]

The only reason I venture to Landmark is because I am in college at NU, and I don't have a car, so right now, it's the only place within walking distance. (When Newbury opens that'll be closer for me, but I'll probably still hit up Landmark).

The thing with Newbury is that it won't even be a full store. It's going to be like 1/3 the size of Landmark or Cambridgeside (if you ever visited the Virgin Megastore when it was there, it has a decent sized first floor and two tiny floors above it. It seems much more like it'll be a yuppie version of Best Buy with a ton of CDs, DVDs and plasma tvs.

Virgin Mega actually had a decent footprint for fitting everything in nicely. The big box BB's and CC's are too cavernous IMO -- lots of wasted space. The layout bugs me for some reason so I'm biased against the latter two.

If you are up for an adventure to South Bay Mall to hit up BB, CC and Target at once, take the #10 bus from Copley (St. James St., across from the Fairmont Copley Hotel) for a quick and rather painless ride directly there. Reverse direction and you're safely back in the Back Bay.

That is a more preferred route over the Red Line to Andrew Station and then hopping on a shuttle or one of the other buses to the mall.

So according to this (completely un-official, found via Googling) site, Best Buy Everett is opening on June 1st:

http://www.bigboxwatch.com/category/best-buy/

Still not coming up on official store locator.

It's probably a 10-15 minute walk from Wellington Station on the Orange Line for those of you that are T-bound. Store looks a little on the small size, but haven't seen it up close. Probably closer to Square 1's size than the one in Framingham, for example.

To save some time if you're headed there... Cambridgeside EB moved temporarily up to level 3 on the opposite end towards Sears. And it's now a "Gamestop". Nice and roomy, but kind of hard to find the games with the high walls stacked to the top.

Went to Galleria yesterday and there is now a gamestop on the first floor where the EB used to be. I am pretty sure that the temporary EB has closed up. Also, this thread is really dead....

I don't understand how people say this CC is bette,r this BB is better etc. Stores like that are at a corporate level and prices are set.

There is a brick and mortar store in Revere, MA called AC's Sports Cards. It's near the beach and forget the street name, go look it up. They have good cash/credit ratio and usually can work out a straight up deal.

Jim's in Malden Sq use to be called 'Video Game Exchange' and located on Main St by the High School. Is the Malden Sq location astill there? I knew it was there about a year ago but heard it closed.

[quote name='LanceJr']I don't understand how people say this CC is bette,r this BB is better etc. Stores like that are at a corporate level and prices are set. [/quote]

Quality of people, location, store age and stock availability make the difference. Did I miss an ongoing conversation about this?

No clue about your other two statements/question.

------------------

Glad to hear the BB on Newbury might be opening at the end of July. :applause: It will be the bestest Best Buy ever brought to Boston's Back Bay - solely on the account that I could walk there in no time flat if needed.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Quality of people, location, store age and stock availability make the difference. Did I miss an ongoing conversation about this?

No clue about your other two statements/question.

------------------

Glad to hear the BB on Newbury might be opening at the end of July. :applause: It will be the bestest Best Buy ever brought to Boston's Back Bay - solely on the account that I could walk there in no time flat if needed.[/QUOTE]

Ya, where I'm living right now it's about a 15 minute walk (and about 20 to Landmark), but my fall housing is all of 5 minutes walk to Newbury.

The Everett BB opened last month. The Newbury/Mass Ave at the
(old Tower/Virgin building) location will be open by Aug so the store will be operational by the time the students come back for school in the area.

BB is TAKING OVER ! ! !

Back Bay BB has opened their revolving door.

July 27, 2007 marks the assimilation of the once funky corner into blue shirt central.

No game deals found. Hoped for a stash of frontlane games and sadly didn't see anything.

It's nice and clean, but so devoid of the character and charm of Tower and Virgin.

The aggressively cheery drones trying to make you want help was tiring at every turn. Must be armed with deflector shields and perform evasive maneuvers!

It really felt uncomfortable and sterilized on my first visit.

Anyone else gonna stop in for a peek? And yeah, the sight of these uniformed pod people spreading out onto neighboring streets on their way to lunch, etc. was weird. It's like they were escaping the institution in different sized groups.

I am heading to Bartley's tonight up at Harvard Square (food place), but I may get off the bus there to check it out on the way back.

The video games are on the third floor where the books used to be.

You know how the newer BBs look like they were dropped into an airplane hangar. It's not that.
Maybe I missed the directory, but I kind of aimlessly roamed around looking to see where things were. Pretty sure there's a smaller selection of stuff, or felt that way because of the somewhat mazelike separations between floors and depts.

So I went. Pretty underwhelming. It really did feel like they had a pretty small selection, but its also the first time I saw Wiis in stock at a store. Hell, when I went to checkout, someone had just gotten a Wii.

Their game section was pretty good, and they had GHII set up (PS2).. with no memory card. They also had a Wii set up, which was a nice touch, but you can only do VC stuff via Classic Controller. (The Wiimote was in a plastic box attached to shelf)

Their anime DVD selection was pretty crappy. They didn't have a whole lot, mostly newer release stuff. Not alot of boxes either, which sucked.

Did pick up that flyer with a coupon for $10 GC with $100 purchase. Might go scan that later.

[quote name='O-Dog']So according to this (completely un-official, found via Googling) site, Best Buy Everett is opening on June 1st:

http://www.bigboxwatch.com/category/best-buy/

Still not coming up on official store locator.

It's probably a 10-15 minute walk from Wellington Station on the Orange Line for those of you that are T-bound. Store looks a little on the small size, but haven't seen it up close. Probably closer to Square 1's size than the one in Framingham, for example.[/QUOTE]
Its a much shorter walk than 15 minutes, its right across the bridge. There is a large shopping center there as well, with a Target, FYE, even a Chucky Cheese. Very accessible from Wellington. You do have to venture across a busy street to get to Bestbuy, but there is a set of lights.

In the opposite direction from Wellington there is a new Gamestop and some other stores, that new 'station landing' development. They've got a pedestrian bridge right at the station.

The South Bay Center in Dorchester is right off Andrew Station, they have a free shuttle bus but its only a quick walk. Theres a Target, Bestbuy, Circuit City, I believe an Office Max, and some others. Bad neighborhood, though.

For a while my only shopping option on the T was the Galleria, at least now there are a couple other places to try. Anyone else know of any good malls or areas to shop on the T? Downtown Crossing isn't real appealing anymore.

[quote name='dafoomie'] Anyone else know of any good malls or areas to shop on the T? Downtown Crossing isn't real appealing anymore.[/quote]
Yeesh, you actually thought Downtown Crossing was appealing at some point!? It's always been ghetto. Everything is increasingly rundown or closed up. Wait till Filene's Basement closes up for the construction and it will be worse.

Tommy Menino is kidding himself with thoughts of revitalization.

Anyways, Harvard Square T stop gets you to some shopping in the area. There's Tokyo Kid at the Garage Mall for anime, import games, toys and such. Good for a browse even if you don't buy.

Then hop back on the Red Line to Porter Sq. and go to the Porter Exchange building and grab a bite at one of the Japanese or Korean (ChoCho's is the only Korean one) mini restataurant stalls for your ramens, bentos, etc. Pick up some grocery/snack items at Kotobukiya market and it's a day.

Other regular malls accessible by T would be Watertown Mall, Arsenal Mall (same street about a block away from Watertown Mall) and the Dedham Mall for the likes of either Target, Best Buy, FYE, GS and even a TRU at the latter. Never been to the Dedham Mall actually. Or at least I don't remember ever going by T. You have to hop on a bus from Forest Hills Station at the end of the Orange Line. There's also another Circuit City and Home Depot at Assembly Square Mall in Somerville where they also have a Kmart and Christmas Tree Shop for cheap junk. Some of these are an adventure to get to.

Haven't tried it myself, but you can also access Natick Mall aka whatever they're trying to upgrade the name to nowadays after remodeling and putting in higher end clothing retailers, etc. and Framingham's Shopper's World supposedly by Commuter Rail for a few bucks more than the average T fare.

Of course, I prefer online shopping where there is no border and no need to set foot onto a grimy, slimy and sometimes crowded MBTA transport of your choice. :mrgreen:

[quote name='Hibiwa']Yeesh, you actually thought Downtown Crossing was appealing at some point!? It's always been ghetto. Everything is increasingly rundown or closed up. Wait till Filene's Basement closes up for the construction and it will be worse.

Tommy Menino is kidding himself with thoughts of revitalization.

Anyways, Harvard Square T stop gets you to some shopping in the area. There's Tokyo Kid at the Garage Mall for anime, import games, toys and such. Good for a browse even if you don't buy.

Then hop back on the Red Line to Porter Sq. and go to the Porter Exchange building and grab a bite at one of the Japanese or Korean (ChoCho's is the only Korean one) mini restataurant stalls for your ramens, bentos, etc. Pick up some grocery/snack items at Kotobukiya market and it's a day.[/QUOTE]
I remember back in the 80s Downtown Crossing still had some appeal, but even then it was fading fast.

Haven't been to the Porter exchange building in a while, but I know of it. I'm mainly concerned with shopping within walking distance of train stations, anywhere on a bus is a hike. Used to go to Assembly Square back when it was a mall, and the Arsenal Mall once in a while, but thats very run down now too.

I usually hit up the BB at Landmark, but now this new one is actually closer to me, so I may go there if they have stuff in stock I want.

Other than that... ya South Bay, that's about it.

There is another CC by the Good Times Arcade if you take the orange line to the stop after the College there. I've only been once so I don't really recall.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Other regular malls accessible by T would be Watertown Mall, Arsenal Mall (same street about a block away from Watertown Mall)[/quote]

Arsenal Mall's pretty shitty, even though there's a pretty good GS and BB there. Only way to get to it via public transportation IIRC is taking the 70 from Central station on the Red Line

The CC in Somerville is actually not hard to get to. Take the Orange Line to Sullivan Square station and just walk there. Its right next to the Home Depot and near Good Times.

Hey everyone,
I'm not really new, just havn't posted much. I live in Malden and went to AC's in Revere MA the other day. I was able to pick up the following for the Saturn:

Nights Into Dreams (Case, Insert, not manual) 8.99
Virtua Cop 2 8.99
Virtua Fighter 2 8.99

Are there any other places around that have Saturn games or consoles for sale?

Oh yeah, AC's also had a Turbo-Grafx 16 for sale if anyones interested. I'm not sure of the price.

bread's done
Back