Media Play's Closing: 70-80% off LAST FEW DAYS

[quote name='SaraAB']Hello,

I have been hearing rumors about Media play (the entire chain) possibly closing. Now i live in NY state, so this might just be for NY state i am not sure.

The rumor i keep hearing is that there is 50% off the entire media play store, i do not know if this is true or false, but if its true i am going to take major $$$$$ and go spend it!

We heard this on the local news so its not just a falsification, it said that all 5 media play's in the area are closing by Mid January.[/QUOTE]
Google News turned up a handful of stories on this, like this one and the one you saw, but it didn't turn up on anything bigger than local news sites. The first link was an AP story, though, so that's got to count for sometihng.

Unfortunately for me, there aren't any of them anywhere near my campus. :whistle2:(

I'd also be willing to bet that whatever merchandise can be shifted to other locations will be. That probably means that most of the music and movies won't be cleared out and will be sent to Sam Goody or Suncoast stores instead.

We'll see what happens, I guess. It's really kind of a shame - Media Play was more expensive than it should have been, but it was nice to have everything under one roof, and I always found the coolest things on clearance in the one by my house.

Was the only place to buy decent anime merchandise that you knew was legit and at normal prices

Also the only place in this town where you can actually buy cd's (other than target and walmart) so forget it if your looking for something that target/walmart doesnt carry.

I dont think they were overly expensive at least here, they are cheaper than FYE which i would have to go 45min to 1hour to access. The dvd's were expensive but music was reasonably priced, games were reasonable as well.

All i am gonna say is that i saw a couple boxes of DS games at our media while i was there a couple days ago!

Just got back from mediaplay and they said that they will all be going out of business. I just got a credit card from them to. And what about all my replay points. this sucks

Yeah, thats why i dont sign up with any of those membership "scams" is what i like to call them, since i know i wont use them that much, and i dont like to be tied to any particular store for shopping since the best sales can be found by shopping around.

I do have the ebgames edge card but i think everyone here would agree that thats a worthwhile purchase!

I dont know what will happen to your points, i am assuming since the store is going away that you will just lose the whole thing. Or you might be able to use them at Sam goody's/suncoast.

Did media play have any sale while you were in there, i am curious to know since i want to go tonight and load up if possible.

Hmm, they never really had any good deals and now right after their only good one, the $8.99 asle, they're going away. Hopefully there will be some good schwag on clearance, since I live within fifteen minutes of two Media Plays, and thirty minutes from two more.

Yeah, im within an hour of like, 5 media play stores, and 5 min from the nearest one.

Memorial day weekend 2005, they issued a coupon in a flyer for 50% off additional all clearance items (any item with a clearance tag). I was picking up 20-25$ anime plushies for like 2-3$ each, it was insane, i also got a couple good game sales that weekend, but i cleaned out 3 different media play's that weekend!

That and the 8.99 sales are the only ones i can remember though.

That sucks, I bought my Chrono Trigger and my FF6 at one of these places right when they came out, so this chain has a special place in my heart.

[quote name='Logain8955']That sucks, I bought my Chrono Trigger and my FF6 at one of these places right when they came out, so this chain has a special place in my heart.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I bought a lot of 16 and 32 bit classics at Media Play years ago, and used to browse around there almost every day during breaks at college, before moving out of my home town to an area without one. I haven't even been inside one in years, but this still sucks. :(

Just talked to the manager at Media Play, Milpitas (Great Mall). FWIW, she says that they're gonna go out of business around Jan/Feb.

As for discounts, she said starting tomorrow, everything in the store will be 20% off, EXCEPT high priced electronics (ie computer hardware, software, videogames...basically the good stuff), which will be 10% off. She mentioned that the discounts will continue to rise maybe every 1-2 weeks until everything's gone (or until they're gone!).

I'm gonna head out there tomorrow to see if they have any good headphones on sale (just got a new ipod)...probably gonna wait until their next discount before I look at games (I can still get $10 off at Bestbuy, which is better for now).

Hope this helps,

Toper

[quote name='toper']Just talked to the manager at Media Play, Milpitas (Great Mall). FWIW, she says that they're gonna go out of business around Jan/Feb.

As for discounts, she said starting tomorrow, everything in the store will be 20% off, EXCEPT high priced electronics (ie computer hardware, software, videogames...basically the good stuff), which will be 10% off. She mentioned that the discounts will continue to rise maybe every 1-2 weeks until everything's gone (or until they're gone!).

I'm gonna head out there tomorrow to see if they have any good headphones on sale (just got a new ipod)...probably gonna wait until their next discount before I look at games (I can still get $10 off at Bestbuy, which is better for now).

Hope this helps,

Toper[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this info. Hopefully someone else or you can confirm this tommorrow. Maybe I can get that life size master chief at my media play ;)

Musicland Group is definitely shutting down the entire MP chain. There probably won't be any clearance sales until after Christmas. I don't think there has been an exact date set yet but it will be at the end of January. This really blows since I go in there about once a week. I have some store credit that I'm going to have to use up now. I spent a lot of it during the $8.99 game clearance. I would expect books to have the biggest clearance markdowns since they can't be shipped back to the publishers. CD's will just be redistributed to Sam Goody stores along w/DVD's and games to a lesser extent. They may be clearanced some but not as much as books IMO.

I would expect a store that sold media at higher prices than all its competition to go out of business eventually. I would only go in there about once a year, and I could never believe the prices they were charging.

I wonder how all the pepole feel thar preorderd a xbox 360 ? They will get there down payment back but no 360 Now that really Sucks................

awww. i always loved Media Play. Picked up the Arc The Lad collection box set for $20 a few years ago. $20. The games themselves (no extras) still retail for about $50. Tons of other great deals (mostly toys) that don't immediately come to mind too. I'm sure going to miss it.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have been hearing rumors about Media play (the entire chain) possibly closing. Now i live in NY state, so this might just be for NY state i am not sure.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow! There are still Media Play stores? I thought that happened long time ago, since there hasn't been a Media Play in my area for YEARS. :cry: Then again, I was floored the 1st time I seen a Staples commercial on TV since the same thing happened to Staples in my area as well. :roll: Although, I didn't miss Staples as much as I miss Media Play. Staples tried to rip me off, and called me a bootlegger/pirate when I returned a defective translation program. I know it was defective since the program said that the Spanish to English translation of Gracias was Graces. :bomb: When I tried to get my money back they refused saying that I probably already made a dozen copies of it by then. At that time, I didn't have any kind of burner. Besides, why burn a ton of copies of a piece of crap that wasn't even worth a $1? :bomb: So when Staples went out of business,
I actually said "Good Riddance to bad rubbish". :lol:

Not so with Media Play. I got a whole bunch of Sega CD games, and Anime video tapes at Media Play. Yes, the last time there was a Media Play in this area, Sega CD games were the latest in video games. Yet, they were very reasonable in their prices. :D

[quote name='toper']Just talked to the manager at Media Play, Milpitas (Great Mall). FWIW, she says that they're gonna go out of business around Jan/Feb.

Hope this helps,

Toper[/QUOTE]

Thanks for saving me a trip. I would go if the PSP was suddenly $125, but
at $225 I can hold off.

[quote name='kenshinw95']Oh wow! There are still Media Play stores? I thought that happened long time ago, since there hasn't been a Media Play in my area for YEARS. :cry: Then again, I was floored the 1st time I seen a Staples commercial on TV since the same thing happened to Staples in my area as well. :roll: Although, I didn't miss Staples as much as I miss Media Play. Staples tried to rip me off, and called me a bootlegger/pirate when I returned a defective translation program. I know it was defective since the program said that the Spanish to English translation of Gracias was Graces. :bomb: When I tried to get my money back they refused saying that I probably already made a dozen copies of it by then. At that time, I didn't have any kind of burner. Besides, why burn a ton of copies of a piece of crap that wasn't even worth a $1? :bomb: So when Staples went out of business,
I actually said "Good Riddance to bad rubbish". :lol:

Not so with Media Play. I got a whole bunch of Sega CD games, and Anime video tapes at Media Play. Yes, the last time there was a Media Play in this area, Sega CD games were the latest in video games. Yet, they were very reasonable in their prices. :D[/QUOTE]

No, there are still a few around....There is one here in Fargo, ND and its the only one within 500 miles lol

[quote name='Rihan']No, there are still a few around....There is one here in Fargo, ND and its the only one within 500 miles lol[/QUOTE]

yeah Moorhead!!!

Have you checked out the fargo store yet? I got a few of the 8.99 games, but a total clearance could be nice. (although, being stuck with basically BB for games would suck)

Holy crap. I was just there today, and didn't even notice any sort of sales. I thought Best Buy and Media Play were partners, maybe I was wrong about that though. Going to be a bit sad, although I thought a lot of their stuff was overpriced to begin with. Hope I can get a lot of good stuff.

Media Play used to be a 30 minute drive for me (even longer now), but they'll always have a special place in my heart as the place where I made my first pre-order / reserved copy of a game.

Tecmo Super Bowl III (SNES, final game in the series).

I miss that franchise.....I have a feeling I'll miss Media Play almost as much. Might have to stop there sometime over the holiday season....for old time's sake. :)

as another poster mentioned, the Media Play in Milpitas, CA is going out of business. they had signs up stating that "Everything Must Go", not much on sale, but I'm sure that will grow in the upcoming weeks. no video game sales as of yet.

Stopped by at Ann Arbor, MI store and did not see any special sale except for aforementioned $8.99 bin (but store was indeed closing).
Picked up Viewtiful Joe 2 (GC) for that price though. Seemed like they had 50% off sale going on for most (if not all) of their "under $20" games.

My local store is closing, however they advertise "20-40% off everything". Go in and they are offering 10% off Video Games, CD's and DVD's. What a rip.

[quote name='Rihan']No, there are still a few around....There is one here in Fargo, ND and its the only one within 500 miles lol[/QUOTE]

There's one in St. Cloud.

Wow, I always thought they would close....the store always seemed dead. 10% isn't really enough to get me to buy anything, maybe if they increase it, but then probably most of the good stuff will be gone....I'd be interested in some PSP or 360 games.

From what I've been told, video games are only 10% off this week, while hardware is still regular price. Obviously as the weeks go by, the % will increase.
I forgot to check the guides, doh.

Good stuff if you have CDs and DVDs for people on your holiday shopping list, as CDs are all 20% off. DVDs are too I think but I can't confirm (d'oh!). 10% off video games, as posted. (this is from UT stores)

We have one in St. Cloud.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']We have one in St. Cloud.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I thought that one closed a long time ago. My bad.

As for checking for the $8.99 games, nope, I usualy just go in and see if anything new is on clearence over in the collectables. Occasionaly I'll go see if they bothered to clearence off those 11 GBA + E-reader bundles they have, but it still hasn't happened lol.

I call all the anime merchandise at the Fargo store by the way :p

[quote name='Forumchibi']I thought Best Buy and Media Play were partners, maybe I was wrong about that though. [/QUOTE]

They were partners, but Best Buy sold them, and the Music Land group (Sam Goody, etc) bought them.

[quote name='dorikyasu']Stopped by at Ann Arbor, MI store and did not see any special sale except for aforementioned $8.99 bin (but store was indeed closing).
Picked up Viewtiful Joe 2 (GC) for that price though. Seemed like they had 50% off sale going on for most (if not all) of their "under $20" games.[/QUOTE]

I went there too this evening, tons of signs around the store, kind of a weird deadness to the whole thing (lots of people flowing in and out but no speaking really). The sale was definately on though.

10 percent off games and consoles (only a PS2 and a gamecube left, both behind the counter. I think I saw 2 pink GBA's as well but they were 70 bucks a peice).
20 percent off used games, the catch? Most of their used games either suck or cost just as much if not more than their used counter parts)
20 percent off accessories
10 percent off digital cameras/mp3 players (a few ipods left, but mostly shuffles).
20 percent off CD's and DVD's (considering the mark up on their music and movies, this is hardly a deal at this point)
30 percent off clothing
20 percent off books

That's all I can remember, I never did find the 40 percent off stuff (probably something random like stuffed animals). If this is a rapidly progressing liquidation, there should be some good deals to be had once we hit higher precentages (the CD's and DVD's were rediculously stocked... they had things that just came out last tuesday, so this entire thing must have been a pretty last minute decision).

Went to a Media Play today outside of Buffalo, NY. Huge signs up saying "Everything 20-40% Off", except for games which are only 10%. But everything is a rip-off now. Besides the 20-40% (by the way, did not see one thing that was higher than 20% off), there are no more sale prices. So they went to their original prices on everything, which were extremely high to begin with.

I'll give you an example: The latest Family Guy DVD set has a sticker price of 36.99 there and is 20% off, so that's 29.59 before tax. However, before sunday it was on sale for 25.99 before tax. So if you went into the store Saturday, you actually got a better deal than with their closing sale on Sunday. All the signs say take the % off of the lowest sticker price, but the only price on everything is the original outrageous price.

Plus, they won't let you use your replay card on your purchase, despite the cashier telling me that it is still valid at Sam Goody, Suncoast and Mediaplay.com (which for some reason is not closing). I wanted to argue the point, but knew I wouldn't get anywhere with it.

The videogame clearance is a joke. Wow, 10% off of a 19.99 game is 17.99. Yes, it is a cheaper price, but I probably spent more in gas to get there. I say wait until higher markdowns come; right now it's a waste of time.

Hope this helps,

Toper[/QUOTE]

Is this a nation wide thing or is this just regional??????????????

[quote name='joeposh']I went there too this evening, tons of signs around the store, kind of a weird deadness to the whole thing (lots of people flowing in and out but no speaking really). The sale was definately on though.

10 percent off games and consoles (only a PS2 and a gamecube left, both behind the counter. I think I saw 2 pink GBA's as well but they were 70 bucks a peice).
20 percent off used games, the catch? Most of their used games either suck or cost just as much if not more than their used counter parts)
20 percent off accessories
10 percent off digital cameras/mp3 players (a few ipods left, but mostly shuffles).
20 percent off CD's and DVD's (considering the mark up on their music and movies, this is hardly a deal at this point)
30 percent off clothing
20 percent off books

That's all I can remember, I never did find the 40 percent off stuff (probably something random like stuffed animals). If this is a rapidly progressing liquidation, there should be some good deals to be had once we hit higher precentages (the CD's and DVD's were rediculously stocked... they had things that just came out last tuesday, so this entire thing must have been a pretty last minute decision).[/QUOTE]

The Media Play in Appleton, WI has basically the same deals. I was sooo damn tempted to buy a PSP for $225, but I passed and just settled for America the Book and seasons 2 and 3 of Sealab 2021. Oh, and a Sobe (also 20% off :D)

Damn, I wish I was still in toronto so I could go to buffalo. I don't have any here.

Though this is just media play right? It's wierd, all the sam goodies (except 1) around here were bought by FYE. Now 2 of the FYE's are closing to be replaced by sam goodies. So sam goody and suncoast aren't effected, right?

[quote name='WAJedi']They were partners, but Best Buy sold them, and the Music Land group (Sam Goody, etc) bought them.[/QUOTE]

That's partially correct. BB actually bought the entire Musicland Group which includes Sam Goody, Media Play, Suncoast and On Cue. They realized what a $ pit it is and basically sold them back their independence. MG closed most of the Suncoast stores a couple of years ago and is now shutting down the entire MP chain. On Cue is basically a smaller version of MP for smaller markets but I don't know if any of those are still open.

Mediaplay.com will probably stay up for a while to burn off any left over merchandise that's not liquidated and can't be sold at Sam Goody. My local MP said they will close at the end of January or whenever they sell everything, whichever happens first. I have about $100 in store credit that I'll need to use.

BTW, my local store also confirmed that all sales are final as of Sunday, 12/11 so make sure you want to keep what you're buying.

Interesting. I cought in on some deals whenj the Saginaw, MI Suncoast and Sam Goody closed down. But didnt get everything I wanted. I got alot of anime dvds for like $8.Basically the whole Hellsing set and half of Steel Angel Kurumi.

I'm hoping to see the Media Play in Saginaw close out soon. And hopefully catch in on some good stuff.

Might check them out on Tuesday or Thursday.

Is there a press release for this? Online article? I can't find anything. Are all the stores closing or are just some? A list? So many questions...

Hopefully my Replay points can still be used at Sam Goody. I signed up for the program in November, any idea how long it takes to send the first gift coupon for doing that?

[quote name='rywateska']Is there a press release for this? Online article? I can't find anything. Are all the stores closing or are just some? A list? So many questions...

Hopefully my Replay points can still be used at Sam Goody. I signed up for the program in November, any idea how long it takes to send the first gift coupon for doing that?[/QUOTE]

Here is a news story about the closing here from a local news station: http://wcco.com/business/local_story_343182623.html

bread's done
Back