Meijer Sales/Clearance Thread

SaberMatrix

CAGiversary!
Meijer in Colerain Ohio had Steel Black, Wave Blue and Silver Dualshock 4 Controllers on Clearance for $50.

Labo customization kit was clearanced at $2.49

Final Fantasy Royal edition on Xbox One was on sale for $9.99.

Didn't see a thread of anything like it, so figured i'd give it a whirl.

For those who are not sure what Meijer is: It's a retail chain out of Michigan that is similar to Walmart, without the feeling of being a warehouse. They currently operate in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. They are very behind in the online push, so dont expect much to be online.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mejier is a sad miserable place to shop. The game section is non-existent.

Toys seem to be decent at a lot of them, so long as you don't want the more collector focused stuff... in those cases you'll be pretty disappointed.  

Their videogame selection has just gotten so bad that I tend to not even consider it on the list of places I'd go buy games, as even when the run sales they end up being pretty mediocre. 

Thankfully, it's still a good grocery store, and doesn't exude sadness like Walmart does.  Even the nicest, newest Walmarts just have the depressing air about them. 

I miss the days at Meijer where they had one or two aisles of floor to (not really) ceiling of display cabinets. Games on the top half, systems and accessories on the bottom. I loved pursuing those.

It might depend on the store. I went to a Meijer I don't frequent and they were having a B2G1F sale on $20 Switch, Xbox and Playstation games, but the Meijer at the other end of the (long) road wasn't doing it.

Meijer mperks has a $40 off Nintendo Switch OLED coupon valid through tomorrow, 12/10. I haven’t noticed too many sales on the OLED model.

They gotta have games to put them on clearance.  The local store has barely carried anything in stock for the past year or so.  Lots of empty pegs.

It might depend on the store. I went to a Meijer I don't frequent and they were having a B2G1F sale on $20 Switch, Xbox and Playstation games, but the Meijer at the other end of the (long) road wasn't doing it.
Did they actually have anything? Sounds like a worse version of the BOGO Free they've run thr past couple years.

They did have some decent titles. I picked up Mortal Kombat XL and Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (the latter I traded for a game I wanted on GameTZ), but there was Katamari Damacy Rerolled, Mutant Year Zero on Switch (which I wish I picked up). Many I had either played on Game Pass or gotten free somewhere at some point digitally, but for physical collectors there was a good variety with next to no sports titles.

i cant fins anything about this in their ad
It is in the Holiday ad, the Meijer app makes it easy to see the multiple ads they run, they usually have their weekly ad and then an additional such as pet week, car week, house week, they get creative haha. But I can confirm the Holiday ad shows the $49.99 Dualsense

Clearance went on sale on last Monday from what a employee told me, i know my local store probably put 20 games on clearance.  So depends what hasn't been hit yet.

I know at my store i managed to get

Switch

Pokemon Sword $20

Street Fighter 30th Anvi $10

Mega Man 11 - $15

Sonic Forces $10

Monopoly $10

Xbox

Star Wars Squadrons $10

I know pokemon Diamond and Pearl for the switch were marked at $45.  I want to see i remember last of us part II PS4 was marked at $15. 

Clearance went on sale on last Monday from what a employee told me, i know my local store probably put 20 games on clearance. So depends what hasn't been hit yet.

I know at my store i managed to get

Switch

Pokemon Sword $20

Street Fighter 30th Anvi $10

Mega Man 11 - $15

Sonic Forces $10

Monopoly $10

Xbox

Star Wars Squadrons $10

I know pokemon Diamond and Pearl for the switch were marked at $45. I want to see i remember last of us part II PS4 was marked at $15.
sounds like i can skip checking out meijer then

My local Meijer has barely had any clearance games since they reorganized/reduced the video game section a year or so ago.  There's only been like a few mixed in with the regular games on the pegs, but ALL the games are locked up under glass.  What few games were actually on clearance, I couldn't tell if any of them had a further price cut.

When I went yesterday one Meijer had nothing, the other has all their clearance stuff (none for switch, white w few for PS4/5 and Xbox) on a separate pegboard free standing in the middle of the department.

My local Meijer (West Bend)has almost all their Xbox/PS4/5 games on "Clearance" I dont know if they are running a % off clearance sale on Electronics atm

PS4:
Battlefield 2048 7.50
COD Vanguard 15

Rainbow 6 15

Xbox:

Gears 5 9.99
NBA 2k 9.99

[attachment=37776:pXL_20230218_232416914.jpg][attachment=37777:pXL_20230218_232356181.jpg]

Bye bye games section I'm guessing.
No surprise there. Haven't bothered to walk into a Meijer's (let alone for games) in years.

Sadly, we're going to see games sections at the big box stores get cut down significantly soon enough. Just like how stores have pretty much removed or reduced bluray/dvd movie/show aisles to one shelf/kiosk, that's also coming for video games.

It simply doesn't make business sense to stock a deep inventory for video games at retailers when all the data shows we're way passed the tipping point with digital copies now making up 70-80 percent of software sales. The footprint right now in stores like Target and Best Buy are such a giant waste of space.

To be clear, the good news is that retailers will still sell this stuff -- just mostly online through their warehouses. At least for now.

My local Meijer is pretty much like this, cut down to like 10-15 titles per system about a year or so ago.  Mine doesn't even have them hanging on pegs, the actual games are locked up behind glass.  They're all pretty much on clearance (though not much of one), I figured because no one was buying them since they're all locked up.

I miss the days where I'd go into the Meijer video game section, and games were hanging behind glass in displays taller than employees could reach. The choices were overwhelming. 

I miss the days where I'd go into the Meijer video game section, and games were hanging behind glass in displays taller than employees could reach. The choices were overwhelming.
I truly miss it, too. I found a lot of fantastic stuff at Meijer. They drastically scaled back out Meijer's in Toledo as well. There's next to nothing, and I don't know why I bother going down the isle, but it's a habit I guess.

Grabbed Halo Infinite today.  Clearance stickered at $12.99, rang up with an additional 25% off.  Pretty nice deal, I thought.  Only other game on clearance was Zelda: Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity on Switch for $49.99, but maybe the 25% off would've worked for that too, not sure.

Grabbed Halo Infinite today. Clearance stickered at $12.99, rang up with an additional 25% off. Pretty nice deal, I thought. Only other game on clearance was Zelda: Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity on Switch for $49.99, but maybe the 25% off would've worked for that too, not sure.
Which location was that?

Grabbed Halo Infinite today. Clearance stickered at $12.99, rang up with an additional 25% off. Pretty nice deal, I thought. Only other game on clearance was Zelda: Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity on Switch for $49.99, but maybe the 25% off would've worked for that too, not sure.
I hope you know that there is no game on that Halo Infinite disc. You're basically buying a coaster that just downloads the game.

That's basically every Xbox game though.
Not really. The Halo Infinite disc is an exceptional case because it really has nothing playable on it. We're not talking about a massive patch or even a big bug - the disc has absolutely no playable game on it.

The Escapist article:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/the-halo-infinite-physical-edition-is-worthless-and-microsoft-must-own-it/

"... ecause when you purchase the physical edition of Halo Infinite, you’re not getting a game. You’re getting half a game that is unplayable unless you go online and download an additional 25 GB or so of data. Fail to comply and you’re left gawping at an “Installation Incomplete” message. ...

Day zero patches have, disappointingly, become the norm, but with some extreme exceptions (I’m looking at you, Cyberpunk 2077.) you can assume games will be in a reasonably playable state. Yes, your Assassin’s Creed Unity target might have their eyeballs floating six feet in front of them, but at least you can still stab them in their stupid, skinless face.

Not so with the Halo Infinite physical edition. At best it’s misleading, and at worst it’s downright deceptive. There’s absolutely nothing on the front of the case to indicate that you need to be online to play the campaign. A tiny, tiny line on the back advises that it “requires download,” but Microsoft seems to have made the bare minimum of effort to alert would-be purchasers to this situation."

Not really. The Halo Infinite disc is an exceptional case because it really has nothing playable on it. We're not talking about a massive patch or even a big bug - the disc has absolutely no playable game on it.

The Escapist article:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/the-halo-infinite-physical-edition-is-worthless-and-microsoft-must-own-it/

"... ecause when you purchase the physical edition of Halo Infinite, you’re not getting a game. You’re getting half a game that is unplayable unless you go online and download an additional 25 GB or so of data. Fail to comply and you’re left gawping at an “Installation Incomplete” message. ...

Day zero patches have, disappointingly, become the norm, but with some extreme exceptions (I’m looking at you, Cyberpunk 2077.) you can assume games will be in a reasonably playable state. Yes, your Assassin’s Creed Unity target might have their eyeballs floating six feet in front of them, but at least you can still stab them in their stupid, skinless face.

Not so with the Halo Infinite physical edition. At best it’s misleading, and at worst it’s downright deceptive. There’s absolutely nothing on the front of the case to indicate that you need to be online to play the campaign. A tiny, tiny line on the back advises that it “requires download,” but Microsoft seems to have made the bare minimum of effort to alert would-be purchasers to this situation."
Why does it matter this isnt the first game like this and wont be the last....

Why does it matter this isnt the first game like this and wont be the last....
At this point, perhaps it's a non-issue since most folks have accepted that it's fine for publishers to "lease" games to consumers through digital sales, patches, and dlc add-ons, vs. preserving ownership of some complete offline experience on a disc or cart that can be played long after consoles expire or servers shut down.

That said, I know the latter still matters for some folks, so this info is for them. I mean, why else are people botherng with publishers like LRG, right?

At this point, perhaps it's a non-issue since most folks have accepted that it's fine for publishers to "lease" games to consumers through digital sales, patches, and dlc add-ons, vs. preserving ownership of some complete offline experience on a disc or cart that can be played long after consoles expire or servers shut down.

That said, I know the latter still matters for some folks, so this info is for them. I mean, why else are people botherng with publishers like LRG, right?
there is only so much people can push back on this because that is the direction everything is going. If you dont accept it to an extent well gaming is ending for you soon at least for the new generations,etc.

there is only so much people can push back on this because that is the direction everything is going. If you dont accept it to an extent well gaming is ending for you soon at least for the new generations,etc.
I think it's delusional to think any of us who care about this would be able to turn this trajectory.

And yes, for me, anyways, buying games is coming to an end.

Wow looking at our info we have both been on this site a long ass time
I'm kind of in this mindset increasingly. I do have a lot of digital titles, especially more online-centric games, but I get discs when I can. But as I get older, I have less of a desire to buy games. I rarely find the time to play them, so why amass more? The classic conundrum. And it may change as my kids get older, but ... I know me. I rarely get around to even a fraction of my backlog, so why add to it?

Was getting food and saw some clearance ...  

Saints Row (Xbox) $6

Borderlands 3 (Xbox) $7.50

That Extraction Spinoff ($7.50)

Just Dance 20 something (Xbox) $6.50

Crash Bandicoot 4 (PS4) $5

Had a bunch of Sealy sound machines on clearance as well for like $7 if someone needs that for sleep

Was getting food and saw some clearance ...

Saints Row (Xbox) $6

Borderlands 3 (Xbox) $7.50

That Extraction Spinoff ($7.50)

Just Dance 20 something (Xbox) $6.50

Crash Bandicoot 4 (PS4) $5

Had a bunch of Sealy sound machines on clearance as well for like $7 if someone needs that for sleep
Which Meijer was this? I got Saints Row and the Rainbow 6 game, but didn't see any Sealy Sound machines (and I wouldn't mind having one for that price)

bread's done
Back