Meowth's Voice Actor Passes Away... :(

freakyzeeky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
[quote name='What They Play']
Sad news in the Pokémon community: Madeleine Blaustein, the voice of Meowth, passed away from an illness last week. She was 48. Blaustein loaned her voice to Team Rocket's scheming feline from episode 32 of America's Pokémon dub up through episode 421. She was Meowth for the first eight movies as well.

Blaustein's family declined an autopsy, so there's no official statement on what caused her death. She passed away in her sleep after a short battle with a stomach virus. Blaustein contributed significantly to the voice acting community and has featured in dozens of anime dubs, including Yu-Gi-Oh, Sonic X and One Piece.

Relevant trivia: Most Pokémon in the anime simply communicate by saying their name in different octaves (“Pikachu! Pika pi!”). Blaustein's role was significantly more involved. Unlike the vast majority of his species, Team Rocket's Meowth has a full vocabulary. He taught himself human speech in order to impress a female Meowth. She wasn't impressed.
[/quote]

R.I.P. :(

I used to watch that show religiously at the height of it's popularity... :[

He taught himself human speech in order to impress a female Meowth. She wasn't impressed.

Very sad.

Wow that is sad (and surprising to learn it was a female)

I looooooved Pokemon when it started and would wake up to watch it everyday
Sad to lose something that you grew up with and enjoyed all those years

Thank you for bringing us so much enjoyment!
RIP

I actually thought the American voice actor for Meowth was a guy. Anyhow, that's rather unfortunate. My condolences to her family and friends.

Yeah, while I never really watched the show. I did like the VO they used for Mewoth. It was a very cool voice.

Did any of the pokemon games use the voices from the cartoon show?

[quote name='Frogurt.man']Your all wrong. Madeleine Blaustein was transgender. He became a she. I don't know why I know this.[/QUOTE]

Learn something new everyday

[quote name='coolsteel']Learn something new everyday[/quote]

Huh, agreed.

In any case, RIP. A great deal of my childhood was stuck watching that show, and of course a fond memory was the character and voice of Meowth.

I remember when I was growing up that I was pissed when they changed Meowth's voice actor(actress?). I didn't like the new one nearly as much back then. But I saw a clip of the old VA, then the new one, and I thought "What in the hell was I thinking, the new one is awesome!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJgeVGNd_Y

R.I.P. & Thanks for the memories.

Pretty much in most cartoons with young male characters, those characters are voiced by females.
Ash (Pokemon)? Female(s).
Bart Simpson (The Simpsons)? Female.
Timmy Turner (Fairly Odd Parents)? Female.
Naruto (Naruto)? Female.
Huey and Riley (The Boondocks)? Female.
Tommy (Rugrats)? Female.

..Just some popular examples..there are tons more....

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP :( very sad to hear, I was fond of the cartoon show back in middle school. Didnt realize it hit 400+ episodes in the US or 8 movies

Off topic, it should be of no surprise to anyone that young male characters are voiced by females. If they got young males to do it then they would be dooming the character in the future since the boy will grow into a man.

bread's done
Back