Metal Gear Discussion Thread

punqsux

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
Ok, the past few days ive finally got around to playing mgs3 and i was totally blown away by it. recently most games have felt like more of a chore than entertainment, but i have trouble putting this game down.

ive been doing alot of reading on the mythos behind the series as well as the history of the development of the series, and i figured id start a thread and see if anyone else wanted to share idea/information/theories.

one of the things i found out that made me most pleased was that the re-release of mgs3 will contain msx ports of mg and mg2:ss. this is incredible imo as ive been wanting to play a non-emulation mg2:ss for YEARS, so im actully going to *gasp* per-order a game! (also see the new sig ^^)

I thought MGS3 was the worse in the series, and the INTRO oh GOD the intro! Why did they have to bite 007 so much? Snake/Big Boss was so cool before and then they do that. I hope MGS4 is good because it looks great!

im glad i picked it up at $20 because if i hadnt played it, i doubt i would have picked up Subsistence (at full launch anyways) and usually i cant stand re-releases...but damn...3 discs?! thats just crazy...

im not through mgs3 yet, im on the boss fight with the end.

its hard because i missed the sniper rifle so im .45ing him, and it takes so long. i did hold him up though and get his camo ^^

another tough fight was the fear, because i didnt have heat vision goggles...

man i wish i was using a guide (i HAVE the guide, just refuse to use it)

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I thought MGS3 was the worse in the series, and the INTRO oh GOD the intro! Why did they have to bite 007 so much? Snake/Big Boss was so cool before and then they do that. I hope MGS4 is good because it looks great![/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I thought MGS3 was the worse in the series, and the INTRO oh GOD the intro! Why did they have to bite 007 so much? Snake/Big Boss was so cool before and then they do that. I hope MGS4 is good because it looks great![/QUOTE]
i think the music fits (cheesy as it may be..) its a cold war spy story, that (was) james' bread and butter

plus kojima's a little crazy anyways ^^

[quote name='punqsux']im glad i picked it up at $20 because if i hadnt played it, i doubt i would have picked up Subsistence (at full launch anyways) and usually i cant stand re-releases...but damn...3 discs?! thats just crazy...

its hard because i missed the sniper rifle so im .45ing him, and it takes so long. i did hold him up though and get his camo ^^

man i wish i was using a guide (i HAVE the guide, just refuse to use it)[/QUOTE]

I recommend going back for the sniper rifle. The battle took me long enough with it, I couldn't imagine without it. I guess it also depends on the difficulty you are playing.

Anyway, as you can tell from my avatar and sig, I think MGS is the best gaming series out there. It really would've helped if you played them in order, but MGS3 is also ok to start on. I really recommend playing MGS1 and 2 after you are done, it explains so much more of the story, although it might seem kinda hard since they are downgraded in the gameplay department.

Also, I think all the MGS's deserve at least a second play through, not just to see the amazing cut-scenes and the awesome story, but to find all the little secrets and easter eggs hidden in the game. I'm sure you can go to gamefaqs and find a list of the easter eggs. There are some funny hidden cut-scenes and radio sequences.

I too have never given Metal gear a solid chance, but last week I finnaly got around to playing my copy of Twin Snakes. I couldnt put it down, and blasted through it with my jaw on the floor the whole time from the damn right sexy feeling of the game. The only thing i found dissapointing about the game was the AI, and the ending boss but other then that I finnaly felt entertained from a game which hasnt really happened lately. I think this game reminded me what it feels like to be entertained by a game, its been so long I mainly forgot what it feels like :p .

I love metal gear! It's the series that got me back into gaming again. I will pick up mgs 3 at some point. Maybe when it's 10.00 or less(I rented it and beat it) and mgs 3 substance , might get when it come out(if I have the money,might have to wait until x-mas) But the Metal Gear games are the main series I have collected, and will never get rid of.

Metal Gear series holds a special place in my heart... I love the games and the story it portrays. I'm very excited about MGS4 and look forward to playing it at next year's E3.

Can't wait til it hits in 2006.

I hate having to wait for Subsistence.

But by then, my sound system should be pretty much complete, so I can play Virtuous Mission LOUD.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are some of the few games that i paid $50 for. I just couldnt wait to play them after all the hype. It was worth the money though.

It is an awesome game. Not the worst in the series. The sniping boss battle was my best gaming moment in history. It's better then the 2nd one. But will never hold the magic I felt playing the 1st one.

[quote name='punqsux']im glad i picked it up at $20 because if i hadnt played it, i doubt i would have picked up Subsistence (at full launch anyways) and usually i cant stand re-releases...but damn...3 discs?! thats just crazy...

man i wish i was using a guide (i HAVE the guide, just refuse to use it)[/QUOTE]

Be like a normal person and set the clock on the PS2 ahead a month. (By normal person I meant extremley lazy person.)

[quote name='dpatel']I recommend going back for the sniper rifle. The battle took me long enough with it, I couldn't imagine without it. I guess it also depends on the difficulty you are playing.

Anyway, as you can tell from my avatar and sig, I think MGS is the best gaming series out there. It really would've helped if you played them in order, but MGS3 is also ok to start on. I really recommend playing MGS1 and 2 after you are done, it explains so much more of the story, although it might seem kinda hard since they are downgraded in the gameplay department.

Also, I think all the MGS's deserve at least a second play through, not just to see the amazing cut-scenes and the awesome story, but to find all the little secrets and easter eggs hidden in the game. I'm sure you can go to gamefaqs and find a list of the easter eggs. There are some funny hidden cut-scenes and radio sequences.[/QUOTE]
eeh im not using guides so i have no clue where the rifle is ^^ im playing it on easy because im SOO bad at stealth games, so its not that bad, i actully had him to half health before he snuck up on me...

ive played them in order, the only core games i havent beat are the old msx games (and 3 but give me a few days ^^)

the reason im playing through w/o a guide (and on easy) is because its my first time through, i beat mgs2 a few times, never made it a full two times through mgs1 but maybe sometime soon.

[quote name='punqsux']another tough fight was the fear, because i didnt have heat vision goggles...[/QUOTE]
He uses stamina to stay invisible, and he keeps comming down to eat.

I just fed him poison dart frogs and tranquilized him while he was vomiting.

Stamina "kills" make the boss fights super easy.

The end is a lot easier if you just use a tranq gun and heat goggles.

The fear is easy if you take advantage of his eating habits by killing all of the poisonous animals and leaving their food around for him to eat.

I have a theory about MGS 4 , I have a feeling that this might be another "simulator" like part 2 was I dunno cause its seems crazy that solid snake hasnt done anything in ten years.

Also I have no doubt that olga's child will probably be in the game maybe a villian maybe not who knows.

Ditto on preordering the special edition, oh hell yes... for those MGS1 and ESPECIALLY MGS 2: Solid Snake ports. MGS3, itself was wonderful too... that survival aspect is just sooooooooo good.

The series just gets better and better.

... MGS2 had a good story, IMHO. There, I said it. You either love it, or hate it. And I can easily see why many hate it. But dammit, go get Substance and enjoy the VR Mode if naught else! :p

[quote name='punqsux']eeh im not using guides so i have no clue where the rifle is ^^ im playing it on easy because im SOO bad at stealth games, so its not that bad, i actully had him to half health before he snuck up on me...

ive played them in order, the only core games i havent beat are the old msx games (and 3 but give me a few days ^^)

the reason im playing through w/o a guide (and on easy) is because its my first time through, i beat mgs2 a few times, never made it a full two times through mgs1 but maybe sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

ah ok. I thought you were new to MGS completely. WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO BUY MGS3 if you had played MGS2?!?:bomb::lol:

[quote name='jam3582']I have a theory about MGS 4 , I have a feeling that this might be another "simulator" like part 2 was I dunno cause its seems crazy that solid snake hasnt done anything in ten years.

Also I have no doubt that olga's child will probably be in the game maybe a villian maybe not who knows.[/QUOTE]

There will definitely be a child in the game. I duno if you saw the teaser artwork that was released at E3 but it showed artwork of characters in the game. They showed Raiden and he was holding a baby in his arm. Could be Olga's or Rose's.

I'm really excited about MGS4 too. What I really want to see is Ocelot and Liquid seperated. IMO, they are two of the best MGS characters but when they combined in MGS2, it made them pretty lame. Liquid needs to find a way to free himself from Ocelot.

[quote name='dpatel']ah ok. I thought you were new to MGS completely. WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO BUY MGS3 if you had played MGS2?!?:bomb::lol:[/QUOTE]
i got mgs2 on launch and beat it the next day, but there was such a large gap between 2+3 that i basically lost intrest in most games in that time, i picked up mgs3 back when it was $20 at kb and just started playing it

[quote name='dpatel']There will definitely be a child in the game. I duno if you saw the teaser artwork that was released at E3 but it showed artwork of characters in the game. They showed Raiden and he was holding a baby in his arm. Could be Olga's or Rose's.

I'm really excited about MGS4 too. What I really want to see is Ocelot and Liquid seperated. IMO, they are two of the best MGS characters but when they combined in MGS2, it made them pretty lame. Liquid needs to find a way to free himself from Ocelot.[/QUOTE]
see i thought the pairing was good, ocelot is a pawn of the patriots, and liquid wants to destroy them, it leaves the door open for ocelot to betray the patriots in 4

Well this is a letdown. Its Metal Gear SOLID talk, not Metal Gear. Got all excited to jabber on about rations with the fellas and it was instantly dashed. *sigh*

[quote name='dpatel']T

What I really want to see is Ocelot and Liquid seperated. IMO, they are two of the best MGS characters but when they combined in MGS2, it made them pretty lame. Liquid needs to find a way to free himself from Ocelot.[/QUOTE]

I too would like to see the apart again, although it was quite a suprise when you found out that they"merged"..

[quote name='supadupacheap']Well this is a letdown. Its Metal Gear SOLID talk, not Metal Gear. Got all excited to jabber on about rations with the fellas and it was instantly dashed. *sigh*[/QUOTE]
you can talk about any game in the series you want, american gamers are just more familiar with the solid games, however ghost babel was imo pretty close (gameplay wise) to mg2:ss

[quote name='punqsux']eeh im not using guides so i have no clue where the rifle is ^^ im playing it on easy because im SOO bad at stealth games, so its not that bad, i actully had him to half health before he snuck up on me...

the reason im playing through w/o a guide (and on easy) is because its my first time through, i beat mgs2 a few times, never made it a full two times through mgs1 but maybe sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

Metal Gear on the MSX is amazing. I love how much they added compared to the NES version. The only thing that sucks is accidently hitting the wrong key after you die and having to start over.

Edit: I know you have played it, but to others who have not just pointing out how great it is.

-- Possible Spoiler For Metal Gear Solid 3 --

Is Ocelot The Boss and The Fear's son or is Snake their son? I was confused about this.

correct answer is:

Spoiler

spoiler

Fear + Boss = Ocelelot

oddly enough, after I played part 2 I loved all the crazy story twists that happened pretty much every second (most people hated it, but I huink it made the story all the more better/deep). I got part 3 hoping it would have as many twists as 3, but was kinda disapointed that it didn't. I still think part 3 was better than 2 though. 1 and 3 were more cinematicly charged and emotion driven than 2.

Anyone who wants a story that blows away even MGS should pick up Killer 7. It's more akin to MGS2 than 3.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']correct answer is:

Spoiler

spoiler

Fear + Boss = Ocelelot

oddly enough, after I played part 2 I loved all the crazy story twists that happened pretty much every second (most people hated it, but I huink it made the story all the more better/deep). I got part 3 hoping it would have as many twists as 3, but was kinda disapointed that it didn't. I still think part 3 was better than 2 though. 1 and 3 were more cinematicly charged and emotion driven than 2.

Anyone who wants a story that blows away even MGS should pick up Killer 7. It's more akin to MGS2 than 3.[/QUOTE]

from what i read, its speculated that hes the son of the boss and the sorrow

ha, i just remembered that part in MG 2 were you see one of the soldeir guys peeing off the edge of a balcony, and u can walk through his pee but then he spots you. Yup, Hideo is a genius.

[quote name='jawman311']ha, i just remembered that part in MG 2 were you see one of the soldeir guys peeing off the edge of a balcony, and u can walk through his pee but then he spots you. Yup, Hideo is a genius.[/QUOTE]
actully, if we're talking about the same part, you can stand under it so hes peeing on you and the use the tranceiver for a bit of a joke.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']I hate the MGS series.[/QUOTE]
Too Funny

I cant wait, Im going to be doing some extensive MGS2 + 3 playing in prep for some online ownage

[quote name='punqsux']actully, if we're talking about the same part, you can stand under it so hes peeing on you and the use the tranceiver for a bit of a joke.[/QUOTE]

another good one is calling otacon while snake is wacking off.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Is that in MG2?[/QUOTE]
yes, in the locker with the poster in the tanker mission (also on the demo of mgs2)

[quote name='punqsux']yes, in the locker with the poster in the tanker mission (also on the demo of mgs2)[/QUOTE]

I remember now, when you push your head against the pic in the locker he kisses it.

Did anyone play the "Secret Game" in MGS3? I played it purely by accident. I was playing for like 6 hours got tired so I saved it in the jail cell. Started playing again a couple hours later and the weird hack n' slash goth game came up. I was clueless but figured it must be one of Hideo's little easter eggs. I'm glad I found out by accident instead of reading about it.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I remember now, when you push your head against the pic in the locker he kisses it.

Did anyone play the "Secret Game" in MGS3? I played it purely by accident. I was playing for like 6 hours got tired so I saved it in the jail cell. Started playing again a couple hours later and the weird hack n' slash goth game came up. I was clueless but figured it must be one of Hideo's little easter eggs. I'm glad I found out by accident instead of reading about it.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I remember that part. I too didn't know about the easter egg. After getting tired of trying to the kill The End I just saved and shut it off. Turned it back on later and started freaking out. I was wondering what happened to my game, but I played the demo anyways. ;)

I thought SNake died at the end after falling of that cliff with the Metal Gear battle in MGS 2 whats he doing in MGS4?

bread's done
Back