Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

[quote name='Apossum']Metal Gear is actually a very collectable series, aside from the normal versions of 2 and 3. Seeing how this is pretty much unadvertised and how retailers are getting fairly limited shipments, I bet the game sells out before 4 comes out, then shoots up in value once it does.[/QUOTE]

I know it's collectible as a series, but I'd put my money on the originals sealed as holding the true value. As far as value goes, this is as second print a copy as you can get. Cool and something I'll pick up, but I don't see it as valuable as some of you guys...

[quote name='prateeko']I know it's collectible as a series, but I'd put my money on the originals sealed as holding the true value. As far as value goes, this is as second print a copy as you can get. Cool and something I'll pick up, but I don't see it as valuable as some of you guys...[/QUOTE]

If it were a plain old box with GH labels slapped on the games, it probably wouldn't be anything special. The fact that it has redone box art and a DVD case for MGS1 makes it appealing. Collectors are weird ;)

[quote name='prateeko']Why? It's not like it's going to be worth anything.[/QUOTE]
I already own every game in this series minus the new version of MGS3. I own MGS2 on the Xbox and beat the PS2 version. I've beat MGS3 three times and I've played MGS on the PS1 and on the GC. I really gain nothing from opening this package.

[quote name='Apossum']Metal Gear is actually a very collectable series, aside from the normal versions of 2 and 3. Seeing how this is pretty much unadvertised and how retailers are getting fairly limited shipments, I bet the game sells out before 4 comes out, then shoots up in value once it does.[/QUOTE]
Exactly and even if it doesn't bump up in value I still have a pretty cool collectable. However I have a strong feeling this may become quit a prize in a year or two.

Yep, this package does nothing for me. It is a shame because I would be eager to buy some MSG goodness while waiting for MGS4.

Here are a couple of easy things Konami could have done if they gave a poop about the MGS fans:

1) Include the original MGS with the MGS2 engine upgrade as seen on the Twin Snakes from Gamecube.

2) Upgrade ALL games to hi-rez for the PS3. This could be done with minimal effort since they program the game on much higher definition than what is released. Anyone who has seen the pre-release screenies of MGS3 can attest that it looks almost like a native PS3 game.

What do they do? They reach in the trash bin of extra stock and slap a new sticker on it.

No thanks.

I'm really getting tired of the "they should have included Twin Snakes" complaint. It was developed by Silicon Knights, not KONAMI! It was written as a Gamecube EXCLUSIVE, and wasn't just a quick and dirty port into the MGS2 engine. It isn't a matter of laziness! It isn't their decision to make, and since Nintendo isn't jumping at the opportunity to have an exclusive game ported to another console, it really wasn't ever an option for this pack.
They should have at least moved it to a DVD, or changed the save to support PS2 cards. Those are matters of cost vs benefit, and since I don't manage their company, it isn't in my right to make assumptions to the cost of making those changes.

[quote name='Zimmy']Yep, this package does nothing for me. It is a shame because I would be eager to buy some MSG goodness while waiting for MGS4.

Here are a couple of easy things Konami could have done if they gave a poop about the MGS fans:

1) Include the original MGS with the MGS2 engine upgrade as seen on the Twin Snakes from Gamecube.

2) Upgrade ALL games to hi-rez for the PS3. This could be done with minimal effort since they program the game on much higher definition than what is released. Anyone who has seen the pre-release screenies of MGS3 can attest that it looks almost like a native PS3 game.

What do they do? They reach in the trash bin of extra stock and slap a new sticker on it.

No thanks.[/quote]

yepz... they should have but they didnt. and for those who are on the other side that say that twin snakes is a gc exclusive...

it doesnt matter. konami has the rights to use there own game they have licensed.
it should have been thrown in with mgs4 limited edition on the blu-ray disc. makes mgs4 extra good that way.

Just picked one up from Gamestop (looks like they only had 2).
I already have all these games, but I wanted this set just for my collection...should I open it? Are the instruction manuals any different than the original/Substance versions?

Also, I ordered it from Amazon last month...but they're not shipping out until next Tuesday (hence why I decided to buy at Gamestop). Do you guys think these are in limited production, or should I just cancel my Amazon order? I doubt the value will raise that much.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Just picked one up from Gamestop (looks like they only had 2).
I already have all these games, but I wanted this set just for my collection...should I open it? Are the instruction manuals any different than the original/Substance versions?

Also, I ordered it from Amazon last month...but they're not shipping out until next Tuesday (hence why I decided to buy at Gamestop). Do you guys think these are in limited production, or should I just cancel my Amazon order? I doubt the value will raise that much.[/quote]

me thinks its gonna be like making of mgs2 doc. that was super rare. i went looking for the doc of mgs2 and it was impossible to find 2 weeks after it was suppose to come out.

yet again this package is a game and not a doc dvd so its hard to say. the doc dvd was interactive though. u were able to pan and fly around the mgs2 envorments

Yeah, I picked up 2 copies myself. One to open and the other to keep sealed. I am still kicking myself in the ass for not picking up a second copy of MGS3S LE. But who knows if this one is gonna be rare or not. Time will tell I guess. Even if it's not, its a nice collection to have regardless, especially with the new art and stuff. If you already have the MGS3S, then you can always hand onto the 2nd disc for the classic 2 games.

[quote name='force_assassin']Yeah, I picked up 2 copies myself. One to open and the other to keep sealed. I am still kicking myself in the ass for not picking up a second copy of MGS3S LE. But who knows if this one is gonna be rare or not. Time will tell I guess. Even if it's not, its a nice collection to have regardless, especially with the new art and stuff. If you already have the MGS3S, then you can always hand onto the 2nd disc for the classic 2 games.[/quote]

My girlfriend works at Gamestop, and someone traded in the LE version (with the bonus DVD still sealed). She picked it up for me, I'm still debating on keeping it or selling it.

[quote name='(psp)snake']me thinks its gonna be like making of mgs2 doc. that was super rare. i went looking for the doc of mgs2 and it was impossible to find 2 weeks after it was suppose to come out.

yet again this package is a game and not a doc dvd so its hard to say. the doc dvd was interactive though. u were able to pan and fly around the mgs2 envorments[/quote]

I really doubt they'll make this a limited release. How many copies of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas have been sold... and how many copies of the compilation with all three games have been sold in comparison? Heck, I still find new sets at tons of places. Even Wal-Mart.

Konami's not stupid. They're going to release tens of thousands of copies and are going to make a KILLING out of these.

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']I really doubt they'll make this a limited release. How many copies of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas have been sold... and how many copies of the compilation with all three games have been sold in comparison? Heck, I still find new sets at tons of places. Even Wal-Mart.

Konami's not stupid. They're going to release tens of thousands of copies and are going to make a KILLING out of these.[/quote]

MGS hardly has the mass appeal that GTA does. Although MGS4 has had a lot of coverage to spread the series' potential fanbase, I don't think it's had that big of an effect.

Something tells me there won't be too much of a shortage for this game. I stopped by my local gamestop today to pick it up (I had a gift card, and I have not played MGS3). They had at least 5 more copies behind the counter.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']My girlfriend works at Gamestop, and someone traded in the LE version (with the bonus DVD still sealed). She picked it up for me, I'm still debating on keeping it or selling it.[/QUOTE]

Awesome find man! That is sweet! I opened mine up when I got it and I am glad to have it. If you are hardcore collector or if you want the cutscenes on a DVD (and can't find anyone to burn you a copy of the 3rd bonus disc) then I would keep it. Otherwise, I would think about selling it and making some good cash. People sell sealed complete copies on amazon and ebay for a lot of money. If the red box is in great condition and that DVD is still sealed, you can still probably get a good amount just for those (or try and locate a sealed copy of Subsistence and toss it in the box with it). Still, there are crazy collectors out there that will pay a lot for the sealed copy of the DVD you have, as well as that red box.

For this one though, I imagine that it could become hard to find in a year or two. I will wait it out and see. If not, then at least I have a nice sealed copy of 3 amazing games that I can give to my kids one day.

My GameStop looked like they had 2 more copies after I bought mine. Couldn't care less about the extra discs; just wanted all 3 MGS games and the nifty camera Subsistence has over Snake Eater. I keep hearing from a lot of fans the original MGS1 is better than TTS so don't really mind that either.

What is annoying is the fact Konami wasn't bothered to press MGS1 onto PS2 discs so I could just save using my PS2 memory card. Looks like I won't be playing this till I pick up a PS3 in the summer.

[quote name='V878']My GameStop looked like they had 2 more copies after I bought mine. Couldn't care less about the extra discs; just wanted all 3 MGS games and the nifty camera Subsistence has over Snake Eater. I keep hearing from a lot of fans the original MGS1 is better than TTS so don't really mind that either.

What is annoying is the fact Konami wasn't bothered to press MGS1 onto PS2 discs so I could just save using my PS2 memory card. Looks like I won't be playing this till I pick up a PS3 in the summer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with you about the putting the first game on a PS2 disc. That seemed like the best idea to me. Too bad they didn't do it.

[quote name='Dezlen']Something tells me there won't be too much of a shortage for this game. I stopped by my local gamestop today to pick it up (I had a gift card, and I have not played MGS3). They had at least 5 more copies behind the counter.[/quote]

i don't think so either. those RE and DMC box sets were never really popular

So, wait I'm kind of lost in this talking here...so I'm just going to ask. I have metal gear solid 1, metal gear VR missions (both PS1 black label), metal gear solid 2: substance, metal gear solid 3: subsistence LE (both PS2 black label)...is there any reason for me to get this because I have heard that it is those minus online. I have also heard that they are directors cuts w/e that means.

[quote name='PooperScooper1900']So, wait I'm kind of lost in this talking here...so I'm just going to ask. I have metal gear solid 1, metal gear VR missions (both PS1 black label), metal gear solid 2: substance, metal gear solid 3: subsistence LE (both PS2 black label)...is there any reason for me to get this because I have heard that it is those minus online. I have also heard that they are directors cuts w/e that means.[/QUOTE]

no you already got every game.

[quote name='PooperScooper1900']So, wait I'm kind of lost in this talking here...so I'm just going to ask. I have metal gear solid 1, metal gear VR missions (both PS1 black label), metal gear solid 2: substance, metal gear solid 3: subsistence LE (both PS2 black label)...is there any reason for me to get this because I have heard that it is those minus online. I have also heard that they are directors cuts w/e that means.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Not unless your copies are messed up/scratched, you want different cover artwork, you want the first game in a PS2 sized case, or you are a collector. Realistically you have a better collection than what is in here. This set doesn't have the VR missions from part 1, doesn't have the 2nd disc of MGS3S (with the original old school games), and no bonus DVD with the cut scenes of part 3 that came with the LE of MGS3S.

And the director's cuts mean they are "MGS2: Substance" instead of "Sons of Liberty", and "MGS3: Subsistence" instead of "Snake Eater". You already have the directors cuts in your collection. If all you had was Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, then I would recommend that you snag the Essentials collection.

[quote name='force_assassin']Nope. Not unless your copies are messed up/scratched, you want different cover artwork, you want the first game in a PS2 sized case, or you are a collector. Realistically you have a better collection than what is in here. This set doesn't have the VR missions from part 1, doesn't have the 2nd disc of MGS3S (with the original old school games), and no bonus DVD with the cut scenes of part 3 that came with the LE of MGS3S.[/quote]Well see I am kind of a Metal Gear Collector, but I dont want to spend 30 for some games I'm never going to play...but yet its so tempting. Also I'm going to be ticked off if I pass this up and unlikely skyrockets in price like MGS3 LE did.

[quote name='62t']well there is nothing to stop komani from printing more copies if it does get rare.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I think too man, but you know game companies. They always do that crap. There are a ton of rare games that wouldn't be rare if they only printed more. Hell, I wish they would print more copies of certain games so I could get them in my collection.

WTF? My copy hasn't shipped yet from Amazon and the shipping estimate is March 24th? I pre-ordered back in February....

[quote name='mick16']WTF? My copy hasn't shipped yet from Amazon and the shipping estimate is March 24th? I pre-ordered back in February....[/QUOTE]

If you used the free shipping option then that is why. Amazon takes their sweet time to send out anything with free shipping since it's technically the same as Standard Shipping, they just make you wait longer before they send it out.

[quote name='fifthcore']If you used the free shipping option then that is why. Amazon takes their sweet time to send out anything with free shipping since it's technically the same as Standard Shipping, they just make you wait longer before they send it out.[/quote]
I have Amazon Prime and they delayed my order, too..

I'm a little bummed to be honest, I was hoping to check this out on Friday. Ah well, it'll wait until Tuesday.

I checked tons of stores none had it! So I went to Gamestop & got the last copy! They said they only got 2 shipped in! Amazing. I couldn't believe it. Did Konami really ship relatively nothing!? I really hope its Substance & Subsistence because on the boxes it does not indicate that.

Amazon doesn't necessarily take their time, it could be their distributor/distribution system--it could simply be that they don't have the game yet. And yes, when you choose the free shipping it can take longer because those orders go out in bulk.

[quote name='J7.']I checked tons of stores none had it! So I went to Gamestop & got the last copy! They said they only got 2 shipped in! Amazing. I couldn't believe it. Did Konami really ship relatively nothing!? I really hope its Substance & Subsistence because on the boxes it does not indicate that.[/QUOTE]

My local GameStop had about 20 copies still when I went.

[quote name='fifthcore']My local GameStop had about 20 copies still when I went.[/quote]
Must be a large US city?

Picked mine up before. Didn't need it, but what the hell...add it to the collection of other MG crap I don't need. At least, I have a new copy of MGS, incase my scratched-up one decides to crap out on me.

My gamestop had a bunch and I grabbed one. I already own MGS for the PS1, Twin Snakes for the GC, & MGS2, MGS3 subsistence, which makes me wonder why the hell i did just buy this...

At least they are now all in one easy to find location (still recommend Twin snakes instead of the PS1 version - snake has a 3D nose in that one)

I prefer the original MGS over TTS. TTS has too much of an action movie feel. I mean, Snake rides a fucking missile in the game.

Plus I always preferred the sound in the original over TTS and the voice acting in the original, in my opinion, is far superior.

I just wish Amazon wouldn't have changed the shipping date. I'm debating on purchasing another copy to keep for resale/trading down the road.

Would be nice if they ported over Twin Snakes to PS2 + some extras for it instead of just the regular PS1 version. Bleh whatever, just buying it to add to my collection anyway

I've never played the original MGS, but I played the shit out of 2 and 3, so I thought this would be a good collection to pick up. Unfortunatley, about 2 minutes after starting MGS the game freezes. I reset my PS2 to find that it doesn't want to read PS1 discs anymore. I put in some of my other PS1 games and the disc drive sounds like it's scraping it up, and I get a disc read error. I then tried to put in some of my PS2 games and for some reason they read fine.

Anyone else have this problem or am I just extremely unlucky?

Twin Snakes is still available for purchase used. MGS1 has not been available for what 6-7 years? Majority of people believe MGS1 is better than MGS TS. MGS TS is also an exclusive title for Nintendo. Thus, much better that MGS1 is in the collection. Kojima did not have full involvement in MGS TS development neither. MGS1 is a much better decision. I used to own MGS1 but sold it, & I was able to pick up MGS TS cheap & easily last year. But the same cannot be said for anyone who wants the original MGS1 in great condition. It's also better that its on 2 CDs as it originally was rather than porting it onto a PS2 format DVD.

being just a Mgs whore that I am, the original Mgs for 30 alone makes a sweet deal

I have mgs2 and mgs3sub

So having mgs2sub is also worthly of my hard earn money.

Even when I'"ll hardly ever play the game.

[quote name='s0lid']I've never played the original MGS, but I played the shit out of 2 and 3, so I thought this would be a good collection to pick up. Unfortunatley, about 2 minutes after starting MGS the game freezes. I reset my PS2 to find that it doesn't want to read PS1 discs anymore. I put in some of my other PS1 games and the disc drive sounds like it's scraping it up, and I get a disc read error. I then tried to put in some of my PS2 games and for some reason they read fine.

Anyone else have this problem or am I just extremely unlucky?[/quote]
I had that problem. First it stopped reading cds, then dvds, then nothing. Your PS2 may be on its way to oblivion.

[quote name='J7.']I had that problem. First it stopped reading cds, then dvds, then nothing. Your PS2 may be on its way to oblivion.[/quote]

Damn, I've had this ps2 forever and never had a problem. It's sad to see it go, especially at a time I actually want to use it. Oh well, I guess it's finally time to pop in Earth Defense Force 2017....

When on earth can I get an official PS1 memory card to play MG nowadays? The local Gamecrazy does seem to carry used/new PS1 card anymore.

[quote name='eau']When on earth can I get an official PS1 memory card to play MG nowadays? The local Gamecrazy does seem to carry used/new PS1 card anymore.[/quote]

Used ones can be found online at places like Amazon. It's pretty funny Konami didn't even put MGS1 on PS2 discs and are making non-PS3 owners scramble around to find a PS1 mem card to play it. The only effort that went into the Essential Collection was designing new box art. At $30, not much reason to complain I guess.

[quote name='V878']Used ones can be found online at places like Amazon. It's pretty funny Konami didn't even put MGS1 on PS2 discs and are making non-PS3 owners scramble around to find a PS1 mem card to play it. The only effort that went into the Essential Collection was designing new box art. At $30, not much reason to complain I guess.[/quote]PS3 owners can save PS1 games to the hard drive using the virtual memory card system built into the PS3.

Man, they'd better reprint this game with the MGS3 Persistence disc in the future. Leaving it out of the package was stupid.

Eeekk man I just don't know for $30 I could probably pick up something new instead. I already have MGS1 and VR mission (got MGS1 way back when and VR was free from a friend way back in middle school). Unfortunately I only have the original non-sub MGS2 and and MGS3. I've already played MGS2: Subsistence to death on the PC when it came out so whats offered on the package has little to offer me thats "new". I love the box set packaging but I am really on the fence here on getting it with money being tight and expensive gas. But I'm happy that many whom haven't experienced the original MGS1 one in it's original form will finally be able to now.

Now, if only Capcom would come out with a PS1 collection that included RE1DC, RE2(Dual Shock), RE3, and throw in Gun Survivor just for the heck of it, now I'd picked that up in a heart beat. They could probably do the same for all the Cube ones being the Wii is backward compatible and all.

PS: lol I love how the MGS shot on the back of the box is the codec sequence sans the text "Maryl..." from the original. But how will they know!? :lol:

bread's done
Back