Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']PS3 owners can save PS1 games to the hard drive using the virtual memory card system built into the PS3.

Man, they'd better reprint this game with the MGS3 Persistence disc in the future. Leaving it out of the package was stupid.[/quote]

Yeah that's what I said lol. NON-PS3 owners have to get a PS1 memory card or their SOL.

And this set is designed for people who never played MGS before and will be tempted to pick it up mainly for the bargain price of $30 for 3 games. They had no plans of making an effort to add MG1 and MG2 to the first disc of subsistence since most people buying this probably wouldn't even bother to play them.

I really think they should make a collector's edition for like $50-60 for you die hard MG fans who want everything. :)

I fit what you just said perfectly.

I've played bits and pieces of each MGS, but not enough that I know what the story is all about. I really could care less about the bonus disc that came with MGS3:S. I just want to be able to play the three main MGS games before MGS4 comes out so I know what's going on with the story. So, I ordered the Essentials Collection yesterday, and should have it sometime next week. Can't wait!

Has anyone found this at any other store than GS? I'd prefer to use my money somewhere that I don't feel raped just by walking in the door.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Has anyone found this at any other store than GS? I'd prefer to use my money somewhere that I don't feel raped just by walking in the door.[/QUOTE]

I'm totally with you on this one. I wanted it now though, so I went ahead and picked it up at GS. However, I'll be returning the copy I have ordered on Amazon back to GS when it arrives. I feel ill when I think of giving them my money.

[quote name='Apossum']Redoing the game with high def textures is easy? riiight.[/QUOTE]

Yep, super easy since the game was developed with hi-rez textures from the get go.

And I'm not asking for Twin Snakes, just MGS with PS2 engine something the Gamecube version proves that it has been done.

This is a budget offering. It's basically a greatest hits box set. I don't understand why people expected them to put any real work into it, besides throwing some new art on the box. Now, it would be nice if they released something like a 20th Anniversary deal for North America, but as others have pointed out, this particular item is just an attempt by Konami to cash in on the buzz around MGS4. Here is the chance for new comers to play the previous games that were on Sony home consoles.

[quote name='Fodder']I'm totally with you on this one. I wanted it now though, so I went ahead and picked it up at GS. However, I'll be returning the copy I have ordered on Amazon back to GS when it arrives. I feel ill when I think of giving them my money.[/quote]

Hmm.. your GS has it? I checked the locator and there is none at any of the nearby stores..

I'm still not sure if I wanna get this:

I already have MGS: Sons of Liberty , MGS: Substance , MGS: Snake Eater , MGS: Subsistence and MGS: The twin Snakes..

What i don't have is the original MGS for the PSX.

[quote name='spamfree2']Hmm.. your GS has it? I checked the locator and there is none at any of the nearby stores..[/quote]

Did you check today? It's updated overnight, so it wouldn't have shown up yesterday. Today, almost all the stores in my area have copies. Oddly enough, though, most of them are already showing 1-3 copies. Only a handful have 4+. Perhaps, this will end up being a bit scarce, if Komani doesn't press more copies.

Also, keep in mind that if all you want is MGS, Konami is suppose to release it on the PSN eventually. It's already confirmed for Japan and getting released tomorrow, I think.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']PS: lol I love how the MGS shot on the back of the box is the codec sequence sans the text "Maryl..." from the original. But how will they know!? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Meryl's codec code is in the instruction booklet now. I wondered the same thing, but flipped through it and found it listed with the others.

[quote name='J7.']I checked tons of stores none had it! So I went to Gamestop & got the last copy! They said they only got 2 shipped in! Amazing. I couldn't believe it. Did Konami really ship relatively nothing!? I really hope its Substance & Subsistence because on the boxes it does not indicate that.[/QUOTE]

They are Substance and Subsistence versions, just labeled as MGS 2 and MGS 3. The instruction booklet for part 2 mentions the Snake skateboarding and part 3 talks about the camera. I think it is cool how there is no mention of Substance and Subsistence and treats these like definitive versions.

[quote name='spamfree2']
What i don't have is the original MGS for the PSX.[/quote]MGS is the original.

I say it's well worth $30 alone.

[quote name='s0lid']Damn, I've had this ps2 forever and never had a problem. It's sad to see it go, especially at a time I actually want to use it. Oh well, I guess it's finally time to pop in Earth Defense Force 2017....[/QUOTE]

My PS2 did this about two years after I bought it; it still plays dvds and PS2 games just fine (I've had it now since Jan 2001).

I still have my original PS and original MGS disc, so I won't be buying this collection. I am nervous that my PS and PS2 may eventually die on me; perhaps I'll buy a PS2 slim once they drop to $99 or less.

[quote name='seanmcc']MGS is the original.

I say it's well worth $30 alone.[/quote]

You young whippersnappers. It makes me sad when MGS is constantly referred to as the first Metal Gear game.

Just bought this yesterday, even though I already own MGS:Twin Snakes, MGS2, and MGS3:Subsistence. So basically this was an awesome deal for the original MGS and for the Substance version of 2, and as for MGS3, well that's may favorite game of all time so an extra copy is nice. Absolutely killer deal even if I won't have time to play em for a while.

Man I love Google Checkout!

I have long sold/lost MGS1 and MGS2 but didn't want to pay $30 for the game. $20 for it makes it so much more appealing though.

[quote name='Vegan']You young whippersnappers. It makes me sad when MGS is constantly referred to as the first Metal Gear game.[/quote]

Amen to that! I don't know whether it's the fact I bought Metal Gear when it came out on NES or the emerging grays that make me feel older.

[quote name='Vegan']You young whippersnappers. It makes me sad when MGS is constantly referred to as the first Metal Gear game.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is the original Metal Gear Solid game.

[quote name='GiantYankees']can they release this for PS3 so i can play it?!?! i have the stupid 40 gig... :cry:[/quote]

At least you can play MGS1 discs on it :)

Tempted to bite. Wanna wait till I get home to use my "Coinstar" Amazon coupons. I really want substance again since I am not sure if I want go for the Xbox version since it's not on the BC list.

My collection so far includes:

Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge (NES)
Metal Gear Solid (GBC)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX) + Guide
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (PSX) + Guide
Bleemcast! for Metal Gear Solid (DC)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN) + Guide
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) + Guide
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2) + Guide
The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) + Guide
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LIMITED EDITION (PS2) + Guide
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot LIMITED EDITION (PS3) (PRE-ORDERED) + LE Guide (PRE-ORDERED)
Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection (PS2)
Metal Gear AC!D (PSP) + Guide
Metal Gear AC!D 2 (PSP) + Guide
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops+ (PSP)
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 (DVD)
Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2 (DVD)

DO I WIN?!?!?!?!?

All jokes aside, can't wait for the MGS4 Bundle. Finally I can dive into the world of PS3, and plus, I just graduated from college!

PS: I need the guide for Portable Ops, the limited edition guide for Snake Eater, and perhaps a copy of Substance for Xbox as well as its guide to further my collection.

[quote name='Caliburn']My pre-order on Amazon is on backorder. I'm on the fence if I should cancel at this point...[/QUOTE]

just cancel it and buy it at gamestop with the 10% coupon

no questions asked, no barcode to scan!

I agree that this seems pretty limited. My closest GS sold out so I had to go to another and got the last one or second to last. Wasted a little gas.

[quote name='Malice']Woohoo, Amazon sent me an email saying they've shipped it. Sooner than expected![/quote]

Heh, I ordered this back in the beginning of February and got an email saying it was taking longer than expected. It hasn't shipped yet and says it won't arrive until the 25th. I wonder when I'll get the same email as you.

[quote name='suko_32']I agree that this seems pretty limited. My closest GS sold out so I had to go to another and got the last one or second to last. Wasted a little gas.[/quote]

These things seem to be selling extremely well. Many of the GS/EB stores near me no longer have any copies showing up on the online search. When I got mine, I actually broke down and bought the floor unit, only because they hadn't even taken the discs out, yet. They had only opened it and never got around to putting it out. I had no intention of keeping the thing sealed, anyway, so this wasn't a big deal.

my copy shipped from amazon today. can't wait to play it tomorrow. i haven't played the first one in over 5 years.

They couldn't include disc two. Unless they wanted to get in deep shit for shipping a disc where a major portion of it doesn't work because Konami took down the online servers.

[quote name='pday1']my copy shipped from amazon today. can't wait to play it tomorrow. i haven't played the first one in over 5 years.[/quote]

Mine shipped today also. Supposed to arrive on the 27th. As someone who plays RPGs 99% of the time with the other 1% usually a baseball game, I'm really looking forward to playing something different.

I was supposed to get it on release but I delayed it and got it two days later aka today. I have played the begining of the first one and I already know im going to love this series.

To anyone that has access to a Frys Electronics. Today's ad for 3/20 and most likely on Friday's 3/21 ad states that the Metal Gear Solid Collection will sell for $27.99.

I picked one up today over at the Sunnyvale Frys store and if anyone is looking for the Nintendo Wii, they have them in stock as well provided that you have to buy it in a bundle set for $399.

--Michael

[quote name='crunchb3rry']They couldn't include disc two. Unless they wanted to get in deep shit for shipping a disc where a major portion of it doesn't work because Konami took down the online servers.[/quote]
Yea that's what I think it is... Konami didn't want to have to go back and rework the game by taking out the online mode,merging MGS1 and etc, so they just decided to not include disc 2 and just release it as it is, still a great collection for anyone who likes MGS or never had a chance to play it.

Ya sometimes I get a little upset when people act lik MGS was the first game. The original Metal Gear is still the best out of all of them imo.

For anyone that ordered from Amazon, has your copy been shipped yet? Kinda sucks that it suddenly got delayed until the 25th for some reason =\...

[quote name='UberNinjaz']For anyone that ordered from Amazon, has your copy been shipped yet? Kinda sucks that it suddenly got delayed until the 25th for some reason =\...[/quote]

My order shipped already and it should be here sometime today. Mine, too was delayed for the 25th, but got an email stating it had shipped yesterday.

i have a question. i have all of them, but i do not have substance, and substience.

does it matter? i mean basically its the same game except that theres addition content that doesnt look like a big deal.

mgs3 has the 3d camera though. is that worth the $30 lol

Father Time just punched me in the face! The "solid" series is a decade old already, yeesh! For those who can't find it, try Wal-mart, they had like, 8 copies when I bought my set today.

The artwork on the ps2 cases is wonderful, and it all really "gels" nicely. When 4 comes out, that'll be an odd bird in the blu-ray case, whatever, i'm sure in another 10 years every game in the series'll be on a single blu-ray, or whatever the format will be.

By the way, Mei Ling's voice in MGS is so goofy, it's hilarious! "Sneek,yo wadar isn't pwotected against da weh-duh"...

[quote name='UberNinjaz']For anyone that ordered from Amazon, has your copy been shipped yet? Kinda sucks that it suddenly got delayed until the 25th for some reason =\...[/QUOTE]

I got a shipping notification sometime yesterday (the 20th). I used the free shipping.

[quote name='probablysober']I got a shipping notification sometime yesterday (the 20th). I used the free shipping.[/quote]

Hmm I'm using the free super saver shipping as well but no shipment date. had it pre-ordered awhile, guess I'll wait a bit longer.

I got my copy yesterday and was wondering if I should pick up a second copy just to have one sealed. This IS MGS so I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end (though that Persistance disk from Subsistance I'm sure will be like gold ... I need to get that).

I got the delay email from Amazon, but later that afternoon got a shipping notice. The same thing happened with God of War on PSP. I have Prime and it is out for delivery now. Should be there when I get home from work.

100_1288.jpg

I almost feal like I waisted my money, almost. Also I don't think this will be too rare. Most Gamestop's tend to order new product on the low end, their business and profits come from used product and the profit margin on new is usually less than $5.

[quote name='(psp)snake']i have a question. i have all of them, but i do not have substance, and substience.

does it matter? i mean basically its the same game except that theres addition content that doesnt look like a big deal.

mgs3 has the 3d camera though. is that worth the $30 lol[/quote]

Substance has a ton of VR missions to play through if that's your thing, and Subsistence features the new third person view that you mentioned, which most people feel is a huge improvement over the top down view in Snake Eater.

I'm still iffy on purchasing it, no extras on subsistence is why...I've yet to really get into a MGS game though

For anyone who's yet to use GCO, it's offered on this collection for $20 on buy.com with gco here

bread's done
Back