Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (360) $29.99 @ Newegg & Amazon (DEAD)

roymustang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Only the 360 version for now. Seems like a good deal, better than Kmart's $34.99 BF deal anyway.

360 Version on Newegg

Note: It says the regular price is $39.99 but that's a mistake it's actually $49.99 so it's $20 off.

UPDATE: Amazon matched Newegg on the 360 version but the PS3 version is still $49.99 sadly.

360 Version on Amazon

UPDATE2:Newegg raised the price to $39.99. I'm guessing that it was actually supposed to be $39.99 from the beginning. Amazon still has it for $29.99 but will probably switch it once they get wind of Newegg's change.

UPDATE3: Amazon adjusted it to $39.99 to match Newegg, the deal is dead, I doubt we'll see that price again for a while so I hope you got it while it was live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for cheaper, but couldn't resist since the cheapest it will be on BF is $35 at K-Mart. I've never actually played any of these games before, but loved MSG4.

[quote name='exaznkid']is the 360 copy of this game underselling or something? I'd assume that is the only reason they would cut the price already[/QUOTE]

Why would 360 owners buy this if they have no history with the MGS series?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Why would 360 owners buy this if they have no history with the MGS series?[/QUOTE]

Because it is generally accepted that it is an excellent series, and if someone does not own a PS2/PS3 they have not gotten a chance to play it yet.

[quote name='chunlirocks']Why do the SonyPony trolls keep posting in here. IT CLEARLY SAYS 360 in the fucking title[/QUOTE]
Nice, a troll callings other people trolls.

[quote name='62t']MGS2 was on Xbox[/QUOTE]

Yo, this dawg told all y'all off! Das waz good. Now wut huh? Das rite.

Caved in and bought one. >_> Might just keep it closed till I have time to play it, or maybe just give it as a gift to a friend.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Why would 360 owners buy this if they have no history with the MGS series?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, that is the stupidest question I've ever seen on CAG.

Haha yeah, its like asking why PS3 owners would want to buy ME2.

Okay so here's a noobish questionl; how do these games compare to the Splinter Cell series? SC is my favorite franchise, and I'm going crazy waiting for a new one. I've been considering getting Deus Ex or this to fulfill my need for some stealth action.

[quote name='roymustang']Honestly, that is the stupidest question I've ever seen on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think the SonyPony thing was worse.

[quote name='Jurassic425']Haha yeah, its like asking why PS3 owners would want to buy ME2.

Okay so here's a noobish questionl; how do these games compare to the Splinter Cell series? SC is my favorite franchise, and I'm going crazy waiting for a new one. I've been considering getting Deus Ex or this to fulfill my need for some stealth action.[/QUOTE]

If you like Splinter Cell a ton for the stealth you're probably better off going with Deus Ex, especially since it's a new game. Metal Gear is "sillier" in tone, more like older action movies from the 80's-90's versus what you see as stealth in the 00's and onward.

[quote name='Jurassic425']Haha yeah, its like asking why PS3 owners would want to buy ME2.

Okay so here's a noobish questionl; how do these games compare to the Splinter Cell series? SC is my favorite franchise, and I'm going crazy waiting for a new one. I've been considering getting Deus Ex or this to fulfill my need for some stealth action.[/QUOTE]

Gameplay wise it's kind of more arcade-ish than Splinter Cell. The stories are a little over the top too, but in that good Japanese way. There's a lot of cut-scenes so be sure that that's something you don't mind.

Check out sales of me2 on ps3...terrible- people don't like jumping into a series halfway

Mgs2 on xbox was great but the core mgs fans are on ps3. People that wanted to play mgs3 bought a ps2 years ago...

Anyone think it'll drop in price any time soon below the $30 here?

Normally I wouldn't jump at this price point despite wanting the collection, but I'm a little worried about the lack of Black Friday deals for the game. I have a feeling this will be one of those games that'll be overlooked for great deals this holiday season.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Check out sales of me2 on ps3...terrible- people don't like jumping into a series halfway

Mgs2 on xbox was great but the core mgs fans are on ps3. People that wanted to play mgs3 bought a ps2 years ago...[/QUOTE]

But you're assuming that PS2 owners are automatically PS3 owners now and original XBOX owners are now XBOX 360 owners.

Last generation I played mostly on the PS2, it was my system of choice, it had the best game lineup and online was not very important back then.

Now, this generation I mostly play on the 360 because I feel it's the better system this time. So even though I played games like Final Fantasy and MGS on PS1/PS2 and even though I own a PS3, I'm buying those franchises on 360 now because that's currently the system I prefer to play on.

[quote name='roymustang']But you're assuming that PS2 owners are automatically PS3 owners now and original XBOX owners are now XBOX 360 owners.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. ...And the assumption is quite wrong.

[quote name='Luxuria']Yo, this dawg told all y'all off! Das waz good. Now wut huh? Das rite.

Caved in and bought one. >_> Might just keep it closed till I have time to play it, or maybe just give it as a gift to a friend.[/QUOTE]

Ummm Looks like someone failed english multiple times here :lol:

[quote name='smilee0519']Ummm Looks like someone failed english multiple times here :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's no way he's gifting his copy of MGS

I bought this when it was released a couple weeks ago at regular price. Any chance that Amazon will refund me the difference if I contact Customer Service?

[quote name='boylover']I bought this when it was released a couple weeks ago at regular price. Any chance that Amazon will refund me the difference if I contact Customer Service?[/QUOTE]

That was a couple of WEEKS ago lol. I don't know, you can go ahead and try and maybe get lucky. Do chat, see where that goes, if nothing, do it the next day, and if still no, don't bother anymore.

For PS3 owners, are there full PS3 installs for these games or no? Any sort of install at all? If not, I'll just get it on the 360, I like my games fully installed.

Since i still had my Dark Souls Debacle $20 Credit from Newegg i decided to use it on MGS even though i prefer the PS3 version. But At least i have an order for the PS3 Metal Gear Solid Ultimate Collection from Zavvi.

if i was to buy this on the 360 and return it to a store without a receipt think there is anyway i could get it switched for the Ps3 version? lol

Yeah, the price seems to have jumped up. Maybe it was an error in pricing in the first place? I just snapped up a copy on Amazon for 29.99 before they got wise too.
I had been waffling over whether to get this or wait for a PS3 copy, but you can't go wrong for 29.99 here I suppose..

$30 is a great price and I eventually would like to play this but I really think by the time I have time I will be able to get it cheaper. I am trying really hard to not impulse buy this week...but I did get Fletch for $0.99 at BBY today.

[quote name='plutoknight']Before you bite on the 360 version though!

Know that a few concessions has to be made because of the differences between the 2 controllers (and the 360's lack of pressure sensitivity) -- It likely only affects menus in MGS2/3/PW, but MGs2 would be the most heavily affected (it's be hard to hold an AKS-74 at bay without firing!)

I think there are some other odd controller quirks that make it just less desirable on the 360. I don't think its by any means unplayable, but if that bothers you, don't jump on the 360 one.

Though, with a $20 price difference...I'd be heavily considering the 360 version too![/QUOTE]

I've also heard that the PS3 version comes with a code to download the original MGS - can anyone confirm this?

[quote name='plutoknight']Before you bite on the 360 version though!

Know that a few concessions has to be made because of the differences between the 2 controllers (and the 360's lack of pressure sensitivity) -- It likely only affects menus in MGS2/3/PW, but MGs2 would be the most heavily affected (it's be hard to hold an AKS-74 at bay without firing!)

I think there are some other odd controller quirks that make it just less desirable on the 360. I don't think its by any means unplayable, but if that bothers you, don't jump on the 360 one.

Though, with a $20 price difference...I'd be heavily considering the 360 version too![/QUOTE]

Normally I buy all Multi-plat games on the 360 but this might be the one time I wait. I have MGS4 (about 1/2 through) so it seems only fitting I get this on the PS3 also. I never played any of them so I think it would be best to stay on the PS3. This I will wait for a price drop.

[quote name='argyle']I've also heard that the PS3 version comes with a code to download the original MGS - can anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

That is only the Japanese version that gets mgs1. I bought this on release date and have no code,..to verify. Anyway mgs1 is ps classic game/ no trophy support / non HD/only 9.99 in psn.. Japan has two separate game collections cause peace walker is sold seperately in japan and includes the classic mgs.

As for being xbox only sale..xbox fans are always on live.,.So playing cod/halo/BF3 ONLY is the way to justify the live membership they purchased. Hence,,single player games especially classics wont sell good on xbox. ((opinion))

I was hoping for the PS3 version a well, but I had a $10 credit to burn and realized there wouldn't be much difference if any at all.

The absence of Twin Snakes is the real fault of this release. Still, I pulled the trigger. This game could go either way; 1) it drops to a bargin bin price after poor sales, or 2) it becomes one of those really hard to find and sought after titles.

[quote name='Blumpkin']The absence of Twin Snakes is the real fault of this release. Still, I pulled the trigger. This game could go either way; 1) it drops to a bargin bin price after poor sales, or 2) it becomes one of those really hard to find and sought after titles.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes Twin snakes the gamecube remake of mgs1 would have made this collection more meaningful and awesome. MGS timeline: MGS3__MGS peacewalker___MGS1___MGS2.

[quote name='BWeed560']Ah yes Twin snakes the gamecube remake of mgs1 would have made this collection more meaningful and awesome. MGS timeline: MGS3__MGS peacewalker___MGS1___MGS2.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing because silicon knights partnered with Nintendo had a big hand in twin snakes. Plus iirc there's a mario and yoshi doll in it

Hopefully amazon matches Kmart on the ps3 later this week. Id rather pay the extra $5 for the ps3 version.

[quote name='GUNNM']Its kinda weird its called a MGS collection but skip the first game =/, but you get MG 1 and 2 =/[/QUOTE]

Apparently because Nintendo published it for Gamecube that killed the chance of it being on the disc. I read that from an interview with Kojima, but I have NO clue where I read it.

Hmm I just picked up the CE at Gamestop for retail price. Damn, not sure if I can justify the book alone being worth $50. Even if I swap my 360 CE for a PS3 CE then get this, that's still a lot of scrilla sitting on a shelf.

I couldn't resist either... don't have a PS3... nice to have a chance to play these on the 360!

i had to bite as well, with credit i ended up gettinfg it for 15$ im not going to find it cheaper then that. What i am going to try and do is try and exchange it for the PS3 version at a local store.

bread's done
Back