Metallica Sues Red Octane/Activision & Harmonix (GHIII)

sleepy180

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://www.dailygaming.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=230

Attorneys for the Grammy award winning heavy metal band Metallica filed a lawsuit yesterday against Harmonix and Activision (who recently acquired Red Octane) for copyright infringement. The suit accuses the three gaming companies of illegally distributing copies of Metallica songs in the upcoming and highly anticipated games Guitar Hero III and Rock Band, both due out in late 2007.

The suit alleges that both companies planned to package and distribute Metallica music through their video games in what lawyers characterized as a "licensed music to player" system, or LM2P network. Metallica is fearful that album sales could decline if their fans were able to simply walk into any Gamestop or Best Buy and purchase an $80 video game that contained one of their songs.

"The band learned its lesson the hard way with file sharing in the late 90s," counsel for Metallica told reporters in a statement released soon after the filing. "This time they want to do a pre-emptive strike before the music gets out there."

Metallica's attorneys neither confirmed nor denied reports that they had issued subpoenas to major video game retailers asking for lists of customers who had pre-ordered copies of Guitar Hero III and Rock Band. When asked to comment, Gamestop representatives asked reporters if they were looking forward to Halo 3 and if they would like to maybe pre-order a copy to make sure they got one at the release.

Attorneys for the gaming companies named in the lawsuit were bemused. "Our company paid a licensing fee to feature the track 'One' by Metallica in Guitar Hero III," counsel for Activision/Red Octane told reporters. "We don't understand why Metallica would turn around and sue us, unless they've gone from insane to completely batshit insane since 2001, but we're confident that the law and our contracts will be enough to have this thrown out."

The band infamously blamed file-sharing programs, which were quickly rising in popularity at the exact same time that Metallica was quickly disappearing from the mainstream consciousness, for the decline in their records, believing that it was Napster, not their own douchebaggery, that stopped fans from buying their albums.

Man thats such BS. Metallica is a joke now. Was really looking forward to playing 'one' in GHIII. Hope its thrown out.

btw did they ever sue that kid who air drummed to Sad But True on the internet and got famous over it?

there are no words for how idiotic this is. Please tell me this is a joke article :lol:

"When asked to comment, Gamestop representatives asked reporters if they were looking forward to Halo 3 and if they would like to maybe pre-order a copy to make sure they got one at the release."

Damn, almost too bad it's a joke; it would have been just about the best thing ever if a lawyer released an official statement claiming that Metallica is "completely batshit insane"

[quote name='jkam']Man, how fucking incredibly bad was St. Anger?[/QUOTE]

If you're addicted to unmixed snare drum, it's the cat's pajamas.

For the rest of the free world, it's dog balls.

[quote name='jkam']Man, how fucking incredibly bad was St. Anger?[/QUOTE]

Man, how fucking incredibly bad was Metallica's whole career? Those guys sure did get lucky with their watered down thrash in the 80s.

I think the REALLY sad part is that an article that is so clearly a joke has such a high level of plausibility. If this actually happened, I wouldn't be surprised.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Man, how fucking incredibly bad was Metallica's whole career? Those guys sure did get lucky with their watered down thrash in the 80s.[/QUOTE]

I'm not even a metallica fan, but this is a pretty dumb statement. Yes, they have sucked for quite a while, but during the 80s and early 90s, this wasn't the case.

p.s. thrash was underground for most of the 80s.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm not even a metallica fan, but this is a pretty dumb statement. Yes, they have sucked for quite a while, but during the 80s and early 90s, this wasn't the case.

p.s. thrash was underground for most of the 80s.[/QUOTE]

Oh, come off it. Hindsight is 20/20, and, apparently, pretentious as fuck. I loves me some DRI, but to act like Metallica has always sucked is absurd.

Besides, their new album is being produced by Rick Rubin. That will be the telltale sign, because *EVERY* album he produces is fucking legendary. If he can't revitalize their career, then we'll know for sure what their legacy is.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, come off it. Hindsight is 20/20, and, apparently, pretentious as fuck. I loves me some DRI, but to act like Metallica has always sucked is absurd.

Besides, their new album is being produced by Rick Rubin. That will be the telltale sign, because *EVERY* album he produces is fucking legendary. If he can't revitalize their career, then we'll know for sure what their legacy is.[/QUOTE]

huh? I think you may have quoted the wrong guy...

They have a legacy but a "History of Metallica" list will have some thick white out covering mostly everything after the black album :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']
Besides, their new album is being produced by Rick Rubin. That will be the telltale sign, because *EVERY* album he produces is fucking legendary. If he can't revitalize their career, then we'll know for sure what their legacy is.[/QUOTE]

Luckily for you, you didn't hear Make Believe by Weezer.

While I can't diss their music or their reputation, the band members themselves are stupid fuckheads, which makes this joke all but too believable.

It's so funny because it's soooo true that these dumbasses would do something like this.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you're addicted to unmixed snare drum, it's the cat's pajamas.

For the rest of the free world, it's dog balls.[/QUOTE]

Myke, did you lose your Limey to 'Merican dictionary?
Bollocks is bad but Dog's bollocks means good.

I thought it was kinda fishy after I read that gamestop had asked the press to pre-order halo 3. funny article though, good for a laugh.

oh so it was a joke haha.... i was about to say metallica is a fucking joke for getting all whiney and pissy over their songs. i hate metallica ever since they sued napster way back when.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm not even a metallica fan, but this is a pretty dumb statement. Yes, they have sucked for quite a while, but during the 80s and early 90s, this wasn't the case.

p.s. thrash was underground for most of the 80s.[/QUOTE]

Hey the first three albums were watered down thrash, they got lucky with Ride The Lightning and made thrash commercialized. Oh and no shit thrash was underground for most of the 80s, but there were better bands than Metallica who were doing the music way before and better than they did.

Reality's Fringe;3313850]I think the REALLY sad part is that an article that is so clearly a joke has such a high level of plausibility. If this actually happened said:
Agreed to the fullest. St. Anger...ugghhg..It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Let's not forget that they forever will be known for what they did to Napster. Since then, most people have seen them in a different light. They're a band full of douches that some how got lucky and managed to pull out of the ether some great songs, but overall really are overrated and under-talented (not really sure if that is a word, but screw it).

[quote name='mykevermin']If you're addicted to unmixed snare drum, it's the cat's pajamas.

I think the songs could have been good if the production wasn't total shit. I'd be interested in hearing a cover of the entire album by Metallica, in their old style. How funny would that be?

Edit: Talking about St Anger, since it's not obvious from the post I quoted.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Hey the first three albums were watered down thrash, they got lucky with Ride The Lightning and made thrash commercialized. Oh and no shit thrash was underground for most of the 80s, but there were better bands than Metallica who were doing the music way before and better than they did.[/QUOTE]

yeah, sorry, I just don't argue with people with your kind of perspective when it comes to music anymore.

--it isn't a fucking race
--one band doesn't fucking null out another
--completely ignoring a band's good qualities doesn't mean they "got lucky" or that they suck. and just for aesthetics: fuck

maybe today the albums don't hold up as well today to you? I don't know, but they influenced tons of people and hold a lot of pretty timeless songs.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, sorry, I just don't argue with people with your kind of perspective when it comes to music anymore.

--it isn't a fucking race
--one band doesn't fucking null out another
--completely ignoring a band's good qualities doesn't mean they "got lucky" or that they suck. and just for aesthetics: fuck

maybe today the albums don't hold up as well today to you? I don't know, but they influenced tons of people and hold a lot of pretty timeless songs.[/QUOTE]

Hey I have my opinion and you have yours. Who said it was a race? I was merely stating that people hail Metallica as "THE BEST THRASH BAND" which is really quite sad. But, hey I guess Metallica is great for those who have a small interest in metal or want to get into metal. Kill 'em all had some good qualities thanks to Mustaine, but by the time Ride The Lightning came out and Metallica ran out of Mustaine riffs to use that's when they truly started to become unoriginal and commercialized thrash. I'm by no means a fan of Mustaine, but I commend him on keeping real bay area thrash alive and original for awhile in the 90s. And come on, Metallica influencing tons of people? Sure if by that you mean nu-metal and metalcore acts. I'm not an elitest, to each their own but face the facts. Listen to Bonded By Blood, The New Order, Feel the Fire, and Metal Church and then talk to me.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']So anyone else actually like some songs off St Anger? No? Okay then . . .[/QUOTE]

"INVISIBLE KID, NO ONE SAW WHAT HE DID!"

Any CD that includes those lyrics is hereby a frisbee to be thrown at cars in the hopes that it will be crushed by said cars.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Man, how fucking incredibly bad was Metallica's whole career? Those guys sure did get lucky with their watered down thrash in the 80s.[/QUOTE]
That they invented. Watered down. Yeah......

Yeah, and Metallica is such an inventive and clever target for people to poke fun of.....bravo, internets. :applause:

Shit I loved that Metallica vs Napster 209 flash video way back. It was on Newgrounds or Ebaums. "We got our hair cut short, we're cool, we're cool!!".

[quote name='TC']Shit I loved that Metallica vs Napster 209 flash video way back. It was on Newgrounds or Ebaums. "We got our hair cut short, we're cool, we're cool!!".[/QUOTE]

FIRE BAD!

[quote name='jkam']Luckily for you, you didn't hear Make Believe by Weezer.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was better than Maladroit or the green album.

[quote name='dastly75']Reminds me of the hoax where metallica sues over the chords E and F:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/07/17/ctv.metallica/[/quote]

Whereas Metallica sings about dark themes like death and suicide in songs like "Sanitarium," "Kill 'em All," and "Unforgiven," Unfaith's poppy Christian rock tunes feature decidedly un-Metallica lyrics like "I wanna be Jesus now/Let me be your Jesus now" over techno and guitar-flavored riffs.

It's hilarious that Metallica, with their commercially-cultivated bad boy image, were one-upped by a no-name Jesus freak.

[quote name='Gameboy415']"INVISIBLE KID, NO ONE SAW WHAT HE DID!"

Any CD that includes those lyrics is hereby a frisbee to be thrown at cars in the hopes that it will be crushed by said cars.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to act like there lyraics weren't complete trash (in St Anger), but I did like some of the songs.

And so what if they killed Napster, we've gotten much better options since then.

What?? You don't like the "middle school garage band" style? GET WITH THE TIMES!

Highlights of "St. Anger":

"FRAN-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TOCK"

(edit - someone already beat me to Invisible Kid)

"KILL KILL KILL! KILL KILL KILL KILL KILLLLLLLL KAAAIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

Remember when we DIDN'T want his throat to explode?

[quote name='Stoneage']That they invented. Watered down. Yeah......

Yeah, and Metallica is such an inventive and clever target for people to poke fun of.....bravo, internets. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that Metallica started Thrash.

I am 100 % sure but pretty damn sure Death and Vemon were way before them.

Everytime I Die > Metallica.

[quote name='Logg']Are you saying that Metallica started Thrash.

I am 100 % sure but pretty damn sure Death and Vemon were way before them.

Everytime I Die > Metallica.[/QUOTE]

Nah Metallica was basically an American Motorhead. Venom did have an influence on Metallica, but so did other NWOBHM bands and of course Mercyful Fate. Death isn't even thrash and they started performing as Mantas the same time as Metallica were performing in small bay area clubs, and as with a lot of the Florida Death Metal bands Death/Mantas were influenced by stuff like Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Venom, Possessed, Bathory, and the list goes on. I think the starting point for bay area thrash and for death metal was Seven Churches from Possessed.

bread's done
Back