Metroid: Other M (Wii) $19.99 at Amazon FSSS

I'm still trying to figure out the sweet spot for me. I didn't pick it up when it was $17 (after tax) on GF and I don't have any Amazon credit right now. Hmmmmm...

[quote name='snowmint']My B Js has it for 18. Which to choose.[/QUOTE]

There is a BJ's down the road from me. I might stop by on friday & see if they have any. Especially for that price.

I don't have a membership but I do have a temporary pass until you get a card...only thing is I never paid sales rep that came to my work for it. She was just like here's your pass to use until we get your application processed. :lol:

Well, crap, so much for anguishing over the very quick to sell out BF deal, then to taste victory by getting it during the Cyber Week lightning deal, only to be let down that it is so readily available for that price now. Now that $19.99 is just sort of regular price, I don't want my copy any more :lol:.

If you buy this, check a FAQ carefully-there's a game breaking bug that's easy to trigger and you won't know about until hours after you trigger it.

I'm on the fense about getting this. One the one hand, it looks fun and I like my games to have a story. On the other hand, I have a huge backlog, which includes the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Should I just play that instead?

Neither's anywhere near as good as the real Metroid series IMO. I can't really decide which is better...PROBABLY Metroid Prime 1 is the best stab at a 3D one, though I appreciate how much story this has. The story gets sort of weird in the Prime series.

Of the Prime series I'd say probably Prime 1 > 3 > 2.

Will this go even lower? Seems unusual for a first-party Nintendo game to even hit $20, so I wonder if $10-15 new is even possible. This game is a definite buy for me but it would also get heavily backlogged, so I can wait for a better price if it might go lower.

I'm kind of disappointed this game dropped so fast. Nintendo made games don't normally drop like a lead balloon. Still, I had loads of fun with it and it's well worth $20.

Argh, I finally bit at this price. I really saw no point in waiting any longer, since I didn't grab it at $17 used.

[quote name='illennium']Will this go even lower? Seems unusual for a first-party Nintendo game to even hit $20, so I wonder if $10-15 new is even possible. This game is a definite buy for me but it would also get heavily backlogged, so I can wait for a better price if it might go lower.[/QUOTE]

This isn't unusual at all. First party Nintendo games MADE by Nintendo don't typically fall too much (unless a Players Choice edition comes out).

First party Nintendo franchises MADE by OTHER developers besides Nintendo DO drop.

Two examples: (1) F-Zero (developed by Sega, published by Nintendo) - you could easily find this for $9.99 brand new during the Gamecube's hey day, (2) Star Fox Aramada (developed by Namco, published by Nintendo) - Best Buy had this one for $7.99 at one point ... and people still didn't buy it.

This game being made by Team Ninja, it's NOT actually a Nintendo-developed game.

[quote name='dc_fortythree']in for 1. ive spent more than 20 bucks before on crappier games (splinter cell conviction im looking at you :) thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Wait -- Splinter Cell Conviction crappy? I never thought one could use that adjective to describe SC:C.

Conviction was an amazing game and easily the best 3rd person shooter I've played (and I've played a whole lot of 'em) and the best in the SC series.

Very much looking forward to what Ubisoft and Ms. Jade Raymond do with SC6 :)

Yeah, Splinter Cell Conviction looks great (it's in the backlog...)

Regarding this not being a Nintendo game...well, sort of, though I assume there's still TONS of oversight on it at a minimum. It's certainly more fun than I had with the demos for Ninja Gaiden, if nothing else.

[quote name='romeogbs19']

Conviction was an amazing game and easily the best 3rd person shooter I've played (and I've played a whole lot of 'em) and the best in the SC series.

[/QUOTE]

presentation wise i thought it was fantastic. the way the mission objectives were imposed on the scenery was ingenious. but the gameplay was overly repetitive IMO. im glad you dug it. i guess it just wasnt the right game for me (hence crappy).

Does this game have any chance of permanently dropping like that in the foreseeable future, even though it's a Nintendo game and they almost never drop in price? I'm really tempted to get this game, but I've spent so much on games for the past few weeks, that my wallet needs a break lol.

I haven't heard of any fix, and I don't think my copy was a launch copy. If you do get it, I'd follow a walk through that explicitly mentions the bug REAAAAALLY carefully until you're past that section. First I heard of it was when I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what I wasn't triggering right, go "oh man, I have to resort to an FAQ AGAIN?", and then the walkthrough goes "here's that glitch I mentioned earlier".

[quote name='dc_fortythree']in for 1. ive spent more than 20 bucks before on crappier games (splinter cell conviction im looking at you :) thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Ditto the other poster - SC: C was a solid game.

I always like having balanced opinions and recognize that yours is totally valid, but in the severe minority (just putting it out there for anyone considering SC: C).

Back on topic, can anyone who's played Other M compare it to other games? I loved the Prime games, but this one seems weird and the controls seem awkward. Story doesn't particularly interest me at all - how's the gameplay?

[quote name='S_DOG34']Ditto the other poster - SC: C was a solid game.[/quote]

I HOPE I like it. It sure looks awesome. I like the earlier Splinter Cell games, and it looks like this may have a stronger story, faster gameplay, better graphics, and...just kind of looks like a modern Bourne/Bond thing, which is awesome!

Yes...it's in THE BACKLOG :lol: But really looking forward to it.

Back on topic, can anyone who's played Other M compare it to other games? I loved the Prime games, but this one seems weird and the controls seem awkward. Story doesn't particularly interest me at all - how's the gameplay?

I actually found the whole thing a lot better than I was expecting. The basic controls work just fine, to my surprise. It only runs into issues with the missile controls. It's janky when you have to use them, and that makes a lot of boss fights WAY more frustrating than they should be. They could have let you use missiles with the normal controls and view.

Another thing I didn't like was just the sheer number of boss fights-they're just constant, every few minutes basically, which made me think back on the original Metroid which had just three in the entire game! Many are frustrating, and I like the exploration better than the boss fights (although one in particular was pretty cool because it was actually interesting in terms of the story, and not just another giant monster).

The story was surprisingly interesting to me...I didn't even mind the "thumbs down" thing particularly (maybe I was just steeled for it, knowing about it ahead of time :lol:)

So I'd say the story and basic controls and exploration (what there is of it) are the high points. The camera controlled missiles and constant boss fights the low points.

All four mainline Metroid games are vastly superior in terms of gameplay, IMO.

Compared with Prime? I don't know...I sort of liked the story in this a lot more than Prime, which got so bogged down in this mystical stuff. I'd say I liked the gameplay better in Prime 1 and 3. 2....not sure. Graphics and music are better in the Prime series (or mainline Metroid for that matter).

If you play it, just be absolutely sure you check an FAQ for how to avoid the game breaking bug, that you know exactly where it is and how to avoid it. Dumping 10 or 20 hours or whatever into it, almost giving up a few times but soldiering on, only to unceremoniously be stopped by...a stupid door that won't open, is lame.

I don't think it (or Prime) is absolutely necessary for mainline fans though.

[quote name='S_DOG34']Back on topic, can anyone who's played Other M compare it to other games? I loved the Prime games, but this one seems weird and the controls seem awkward. Story doesn't particularly interest me at all - how's the gameplay?[/QUOTE]

It isn't really a Metroid game, it just uses the Metroid name to try to sell the game. If you are looking for the standard Metroid game, where exploration and finding secrets is a big part of the game, look elsewhere.

[quote name='jeremy517']It isn't really a Metroid game, it just uses the Metroid name to try to sell the game. If you are looking for the standard Metroid game, where exploration and finding secrets is a big part of the game, look elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

????

it's ok to evolve the game. You can always buy Metroid on VC if you just want the same thing over and over. I thought this game was fantastic and worth the $40 or so I paid. The glitch scared the crap out of me but luckily I avoided it.

For those worried, I think the game ending glitch has been patched. I just bought "Other M" recently and I was forced to download a system update before I could play the game.

[quote name='Blips']For those worried, I think the game ending glitch has been patched. I just bought "Other M" recently and I was forced to download a system update before I could play the game.[/QUOTE]

I got that too, and that's nothing to do with the game. Wii games don't patch (which actually is largely a good thing I kind of think, although not if they don't recall stuff...)

That's just a system update like all games can do.

The bug will still be there, so make sure you consult an FAQ BEFORE starting the game, so that you know exactly where you trigger the bug, and how to avoid it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I HOPE I like it. It sure looks awesome. I like the earlier Splinter Cell games, and it looks like this may have a stronger story, faster gameplay, better graphics, and...just kind of looks like a modern Bourne/Bond thing, which is awesome!

Yes...it's in THE BACKLOG :lol: But really looking forward to it.
[/QUOTE]

It's pretty awesome. If you liked the SC series, you will definitely like this one. It has a much grittier feel to it, which makes sense since you've 'gone rogue' and are not chock full of crazy gadgets. It's more action oriented and a little less tactical. I prefer tactical games, but had tons of fun with this one.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I actually found the whole thing a lot better than I was expecting. The basic controls work just fine, to my surprise. It only runs into issues with the missile controls. It's janky when you have to use them, and that makes a lot of boss fights WAY more frustrating than they should be. They could have let you use missiles with the normal controls and view.

Another thing I didn't like was just the sheer number of boss fights-they're just constant, every few minutes basically, which made me think back on the original Metroid which had just three in the entire game! Many are frustrating, and I like the exploration better than the boss fights (although one in particular was pretty cool because it was actually interesting in terms of the story, and not just another giant monster).

The story was surprisingly interesting to me...I didn't even mind the "thumbs down" thing particularly (maybe I was just steeled for it, knowing about it ahead of time :lol:)

So I'd say the story and basic controls and exploration (what there is of it) are the high points. The camera controlled missiles and constant boss fights the low points.

All four mainline Metroid games are vastly superior in terms of gameplay, IMO.

Compared with Prime? I don't know...I sort of liked the story in this a lot more than Prime, which got so bogged down in this mystical stuff. I'd say I liked the gameplay better in Prime 1 and 3. 2....not sure. Graphics and music are better in the Prime series (or mainline Metroid for that matter).

If you play it, just be absolutely sure you check an FAQ for how to avoid the game breaking bug, that you know exactly where it is and how to avoid it. Dumping 10 or 20 hours or whatever into it, almost giving up a few times but soldiering on, only to unceremoniously be stopped by...a stupid door that won't open, is lame.

I don't think it (or Prime) is absolutely necessary for mainline fans though.[/QUOTE]

Based on your reply - I think I'll add it to the huge backlog. Your post is one of the reasons I like this community. Thanks for taking the time to pour out your thoughts.

[quote name='S_DOG34']It's pretty awesome. If you liked the SC series, you will definitely like this one. It has a much grittier feel to it, which makes sense since you've 'gone rogue' and are not chock full of crazy gadgets. It's more action oriented and a little less tactical. I prefer tactical games, but had tons of fun with this one.[/quote]

That sounds great! You know the only weird thing about all that is that isn't that kind of the exact same setup as the LAST game in the series? :lol: I guess in that he was just playing at it, and this time he's actually outside the agency (well, obviously I don't know for sure since I've tried avoiding spoilers).

Based on your reply - I think I'll add it to the huge backlog. Your post is one of the reasons I like this community. Thanks for taking the time to pour out your thoughts.

Cool! Really glad if I can be of help! :)

[quote name='ferris182']Just picked one up....I don't see it getting much cheaper for a new copy.[/QUOTE]

Not so sure about that. I can see this going lower (at least $14.99). Other M hasn't sold well and it hasn't been well-received by the Metroid diehards. Even Nintendo admitted that it was a disappointment in terms of sales.

I do think $19.99 will become standard fare for this game and we'll see that price at the B&Ms soon enough.

I'm going to hold out since it's not as if this one is becoming rare anytime soon (if ever) and while the gamplay is okay, the story is rubbish and the voice acting is, well, uninspired -- though I chalk that up to the ho-hum script that just has Samus rambling and rambling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfpup, you're very adamant about that needing a walkthrough for some reason.

Granted, I found out about the bug prior to getting to where it occurs, but I still don't think it's as easy to trigger as people claim. You have to go against the natural gameplay in order to trigger it.

[quote name='Altanis']Wolfpup, you're very adamant about that needing a walkthrough for some reason.

Granted, I found out about the bug prior to getting to where it occurs, but I still don't think it's as easy to trigger as people claim. You have to go against the natural gameplay in order to trigger it.[/QUOTE]

She has every right to be... even if it's not easily triggered (or maybe it is, since a lot of people complained about it), it's still worth knowing about since it's really annoying when you have to start a game over because of a bug.

Will eventually pick this one up, but I'm convinced we'll see this one for $9.99 eventually (or at least $12.99). It's one of the worst received Nintendo franchise games of recent memory and easily the most controversial.

From what I've seen of this, it seems Team Ninja injected way too much girl anime drama into the storyline, and the subjective female characters the developers are known for ringed true in their iteration of Samus.

[quote name='Vinny']She has every right to be... even if it's not easily triggered (or maybe it is, since a lot of people complained about it), it's still worth knowing about since it's really annoying when you have to start a game over because of a bug.[/QUOTE]
It's okay to remind people that a game has a bug a couple times. However, I have noticed that in every thread about this game being on sale, Wolfpup is posting the same thing over and over.

If you're buying Metroid Other M now, 6 months after release, and you don't know there's one bug in this game, that's your fault as a consumer.

My problem lies in that Wolfpup is making it sound like the bug is triggered exceptionally easily. That isn't the case.

[quote name='Altanis']It's okay to remind people that a game has a bug a couple times. However, I have noticed that in every thread about this game being on sale, Wolfpup is posting the same thing over and over.

If you're buying Metroid Other M now, 6 months after release, and you don't know there's one bug in this game, that's your fault as a consumer.

My problem lies in that Wolfpup is making it sound like the bug is triggered exceptionally easily. That isn't the case.[/QUOTE]

Still, nothing wrong with being cautious. A game ending save bug is pretty rare and it wouldn't surprise me if a few people didn't know about it as most people probably don't expect games to have such a serious issue... especially one with such a rich (and now tarnished) series as Metroid and one published by Nintendo.

But I digress. I'll drop it since I'm probably derailing this thread.

I would only recommend this to Die-hard Metroid fans who absolutely have to play every Metroid game or people who want a decent action game and have run out of other options. As a Hardcore Metroid fan who has played every game in the series I can say I really wanted to like this game, but I walked away dissapointed.

multiple things are mapped to the same button so sometimes it can get annoying when you're doing things, for instance you dodge by moving the dpad rapidly in a direction so sometimes it doesn't dodge when you want it to and just registers it as walking. The A button when the wimote is held horizontally is to turn into morph ball when the wiimote is held vertically it is to re-charge your missiles. In intense battles when you have to switch between 3rd person and first person things can get really annoying, say you only have a few seconds to aim a missile at your enemy but when you switch to FPS mode samus is facing the wrong direction and you miss the shot so you have to weaken the enemy again

You can only use missiles and super missiles in FPS view, also you cannot manually shot missiles/super missles/seeker missles, you can only shot them when locked on also the game decides for you whether it wants to shot a super missle or a seeker missile.

The game auto aims, and it mostly does a good job, but sometimes it can get really frustrating when there's multiple enemies and its shooting in the opposite direction. also because of the auto-aim sometime the game feels like it's playing itself and things can get really boring.

This game is extremely linear exploration is minimal as most places are locked and you can only move in one direction except for the occasional hidden passage. This isn't like in Metroid Fusion where it's linear, but it lets you explore at your own pace. In this game it is mandatory that you have to move from point A to point B and there's only one path to get there

you don't spend alot of time picking up energy tanks and missle expansions like in other metroid games. Instead you can replenish your missiles anytime and when you're health drops below 40 you can recharge your health by holding A, so searching for suit upgrades seems meaningless when you have an infinite ammount of missiles and health, so long as you can find an area where you aren't being attacked to recharge

The atmosphere does not feel like Metroid, the music isn't spacey ambiance or catchy, most of it's orchestrated and sounds like a God of War, but not nearly as good. there were a few good tunes, but those were just remakes of old Metroid songs though. This part really bothered as one of my favorite things about the Metroid series is it's amazing music. The music isn't bad, but it mostly sounds like generic orchestrated videogame music

90% of the character designs are bad you fight purple iguanas, and deer like animals with antlers. I kept forgetting I was playing a Metroid game because most of the enemies didn't look aliens they either looked like Lizards, Mutant Deer, or Giant Bugs

The story was good, but not great very cliched and predictable, but I still enjoyed it, one thing that pissed me off though was that Samus was constantly messing things up and had to be saved , which seems out of character because she is usually the one doing the saving

I could ramble on further but I'll stop here, I would recommend avoiding this game unless you absolutely have to play it. It's not bad and there's some fun to be had but the lack of exploration, crappy music, bad character designs, auto aim, and having multiple things mapped to the same button ruined the experience. There was a few moments where things clicked, but they were unoften and to far inbetween

I would only recommend this if you already beat Trilogy and have no other Wii games that interest you.

Once again I wanted to Like this game I'm not the kind of person who plays a game just to complain about it, Team Ninja brought some great ideas to the table, but unfortunately things weren't executed as seamlessly as other Metroid Games

Last edited:
[quote name='KornKid91']90% of the character designs are bad you fight purple iguanas, and deer like animals with antlers. I kept forgetting I was playing a Metroid game because most of the enemies didn't look aliens they either looked like Lizards, Mutant Deer, or Giant Bugs[/QUOTE]

The story is that Samus is exploring a research facility. Most of the things you fight are results of experiments that likely occurred on animals and the such. That's why the monsters look somewhat like the animals in real life.

The game wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty enjoyable. Apparently, you either really like it or really hate it. I'm in neither group. For the most part the game is enjoyable, but yes, it has its issues. One thing I didn't like was the way that, when in first person mode, it often was difficult to aim the missiles correctly. Whether that was related to my setup or not was hard to tell though, as some people I talked to about the game didn't experience that problem.

bread's done
Back