Metroid Prime 2 : Echoes Does Less Than Impressive Numbers

They should've dropped the charade of "I'm a First-Person ADVENTURE" and embraced being a FPS by offering up a more accessible control scheme. They should've also used multiplayer as something more than a few bytes to pad the disc.

IMHO, of course.

Primarily because I've yet to beat the first Prime. And working in an electronics department I got to see just who owns a Cube, and it runs along the steroetype of little kids, because I couldn't tell you how many times we sold out of Spongebob or Lemony Snicket this holiday season.

I will buy it eventually, but probably at $20, just like I did with the first.

Maybe that's because it was less than impressive.

Seriously though, I bought the game, and I didn't find it to be as awesome as many claim. I like the first Prime much, much better. IMO, Prime 2's storyline was weaker and slower-paced.

[Flame shields on]

I didn't get it due the backup of games, and playing to much halo 2, and madden online....I can understand it doing poorly as the hype, marketing and everything about the release was horrible...I don't understand how madden on the ps2 and xbox sold so much combined...right around 1400 units combined moved....I thought that game had its run and was over by now for sales

To me, it feels like it came out too soon....I feel like I just played Prime, and don't need to return just yet. I will pick this game up, but only after I finish some of the other, "more fresh" releases. We really don't need sequels less than 2 years (or 1.5 years in some cases). Leave the audience wanting more, and they will come back....

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4115

Why Nintendo didn't give this game all the hype that money could buy is beyond me. For those of you with Gamecubes that didn't buy Metroid Prime 2 what was the reason (besides a backlog of cheap ass games)? How it got beat by The Spongebob Movie game is blasphemy.[/quote]

I didn't buy it because I bought the first one and didn't like it much..

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4115

Why Nintendo didn't give this game all the hype that money could buy is beyond me. For those of you with Gamecubes that didn't buy Metroid Prime 2 what was the reason (besides a backlog of cheap ass games)? How it got beat by The Spongebob Movie game is blasphemy.[/quote]

I didn't buy it, because quite honestly, I didn't like the first Metroid Prime. They can say whatever the hell they want and call it whatever the hell they want, but as far as I'm concerned it's a FPS and I don't really like many FPS. That's why I didn't buy it.

This is really sad. I thought this game wasn't as good as the first but it was still a great game none the less. Easily in the top 5 in my book. Should have been at least.

[quote name='"janglypangly"']I think that Nintendo franchises don't carry as much weight as they used to.[/quote]

I will second that. Back in the day I didn't know a single person who played games and didn't play LoZ and now I don't know a single player besides myself who has played OoT or WW.

They just aren't the games to get anymore. Which is a shame.

This makes me wonder how well Zelda will sell. How well Nintendo will market it, and how much of an impact it can make. Metroid Advertising was excellent, but overshadowed by just about everything out there. Is Zelda the only untarnished Nintendo franchise amoung the masses?

Way too many games came out this season; so some sacrifices had to be made. I would have gotten Metroid had I not been getting about 50 other games at the same time. I think all the competition just had an adverse effect on the game industry; where games that should have sold high didn't because higher profile games were outselling them. If Nintendo released Metroid next month, I think they'd do well in sales.

I purchased Prime near launch mostly as a spur of the moment thing. I never really got into 2D Metriod so Prime was a big risk for me since I was paying full price. It was good and I enjoyed it but I didn't pick up Prime 2. Why? It's not one of those must buy titles IMO. Looks too much like Prime with new weapons. Besides, I have too many games unopened/unplayed.

I agree with several of the posters that Nintendo's franchises just don't pull as much weight as they once did.

Thats not to imply that they're bad games, but 10 years ago if you had ask a 10 year old kid if he wanted the newest metroid game or GTA...he would have went with Metroid. But today's kids? I was surprised to see the amount of requests for GTA: San Andreas when work hosted a Santa picture display.

I did not buy or play it because I hated the first one. Give me something other then a FPS for Metroid but oddlly I love the DS demo of Metroid.

A real shame, it was one of the best games of 2004, but I'm not surprised it didn't sell that well. Let's just say, Nintendo games this generation haven't sold that well (aside from SSBM), or sold as well as they should have.

They put it out in a period stocked full of other games I'd rather get first: GTA, Nocturne, Star Ocean, Suikoden. That and I still haven't finished the first.

Damn shame that very few in here, or anywhere for that matter, decided not to pick up Prime 2. Excellent game, and a worth sequal. I loved it.

[quote name='Rig']Damn shame that very few in here, or anywhere for that matter, decided not to pick up Prime 2. Excellent game, and a worth sequal. I loved it.[/quote]

agree 100%

[quote name='pumbaa']This makes me wonder how well Zelda will sell. How well Nintendo will market it, and how much of an impact it can make. Metroid Advertising was excellent, but overshadowed by just about everything out there. Is Zelda the only untarnished Nintendo franchise amoung the masses?[/quote]

A lot of my more-casual gaming friends considered Zelda to be 'tarnished' when they saw the Windwaker graphics..

[quote name='pumbaa']This makes me wonder how well Zelda will sell. [/quote]

Remember that people were crying (crying for god's sake) at Nintendo's 2004 E3 press conference when it was revealed the next Zelda would feature an adult Link. With that kind of fanatical following, I can imagine the next GCN Zelda will not have much difficulty selling well.

OK, i am playing Prime 2 now, and it is a good game, but falls short of the Metroid legacy.

the one thing that made Metroid so great was it's exploratory nature, and the way that the game always managed to not feel "gamey". The worlds felt fairly believable for what they were worth, and the games were easy to get into.

Prime 2 fails to deliver in this respect. there are many cliches within 2 that detract from the overall experience. The first being the whole "dual world" this system seems heavily borrowed from Ikaruga. (Even to the point where you kill enemies with the "white gun", and you get black ammunition, kill them with the "black gun", blah, blah.....)

Also, the idea of "anti-Samus" was interesting in Fusion, but a franchise should really only do that once in it's history, if ever at all. Now it feels like that worked in one game, why not put it in another.

Overall, it felt like they had no real inspiration for making this game other than that it would sell a lot, and they made enough story and environment as was necesarry for a game, but not overboard, as is the metroid way.

Its a good game, just dont expect better than 1

Don't worry about the sales numbers of Metroid Prime 2. The MP series, despite their critical success, are selling just fine for the system. True, it won't be a blockbuster inthe same vein as Halo 2 or GTA:SA, but can anyone realistically expect it to? Nobody expected it to....even Nintendo. The only game to really worry and wonder about is Resident Evil 4. This HAS to sell well. It'll determine when the GCN's lifecycle will be ending, for better or worse.

[quote name='vanlandw'][quote name='Rig']Damn shame that very few in here, or anywhere for that matter, decided not to pick up Prime 2. Excellent game, and a worth sequal. I loved it.[/quote]

agree 100%[/quote]

3rded. And this is also after it was on sale after a few weeks instead of months later.

I got one for $16.88 via raincheck at Target. I've yet to open it and I had the thought the other day of dropping it on ebay (not likely to do it) because I don't have time for it.

I didn't get it because I don't care much for the first one, and furthermore there is no way I'm paying $50 for any game unless it is among a very select few I'm highly anticipating.

I didnt have time/ get into the first one. I was never a fan for the original series. I did like Zero mission but have yet to pick even that gaem back up and play it.

I recently repurchaed the first one complet for $9 and will beat it once its done being loaned out to my cousin and his new cube.

Then hopefully I can snag 2 (If indeed I like 1).

Main reason: backlog / will wait till its cheaper

Other: Eh, I liked Prime1 just fine, but Prime2 didn't look to bring alot to the table. That's not to say that it makes it a bad game by any means, but just not something that i need right away.

*sigh* Metroid Prime 2 is an amazing game that should sell better than it has been but too many years went in between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime to keep the series going strong. It's like it is an entirely new franchise to gamers under the age of 20 and it's almost impossible to get a following nowadays in such an overcrowded market.

I guess I've just never liked Metroid. It feels too solitary for me, and I like my games populated with characters with whom I can interact (like the first Half Live). I also didn't like that the first game made you switch to scanning mode to get so much info; it seemed like it would've been better if info had just come up on the HUD whenever you looked at (fewer) really important things.

I can see why people like it; I'm just not one of them.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']They should've dropped the charade of "I'm a First-Person ADVENTURE" and embraced being a FPS by offering up a more accessible control scheme.[/quote]

I assume by "accessible" you mean "dual analog aiming like Halo et al", which is actually quantifiably LESS accessible. Aiming at stuff with an analog stick is a pain in the ass... you may be USED to it, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating for newbies / people who prefer mouse + keyboard. It is a clunky, time-consuming, highly error-prone control mechanic, and Retro dropping it for Metroid Prime was the smartest design decision they made. MP is about using cool abilities, exploring and managing your position and orientation in a fire fight, and frankly that's infinitely more fun.

I loved the first Prime -- LOVED it. My favorite game on the 'Cube.

But that was when I only had the 'Cube and PS2. Now I've got the XBox, and I must say the online capabilities have me playing that console much more than the other two. So I figure I can wait until the price drops on Prime 2.

That said, I WILL eventually buy Prime 2, because the first was one of the best-looking, best-playing games I've ever seen.

(By the by, the game WAS on the Christmas list I provided my wife, along with MGS 3 and PoP2. She ended up getting me those games, but not Prime 2.)

My friend is playing it religiously. Even though he got his most wanted game for the past year (Resident Evil 4), he wont stop playing Metroid. That says something cuz he's a fREak (I just now made that fREak thing up :)).

I didn't get it for four reasons
1. I hadn't beat the first one yet, and this game is supposed to be much, much harder.
2. Too many other big releases to take my attention away.
3. Cheap ass backlog
4. Seemed too similar to the first - would have been an expansion pack on the PC.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']They should've dropped the charade of "I'm a First-Person ADVENTURE" and embraced being a FPS by offering up a more accessible control scheme. They should've also used multiplayer as something more than a few bytes to pad the disc.

IMHO, of course.[/quote]

I feel the exact same way. Although I'd like to add in.. I wasn't really a fan of the first one, so I really had no interest in the sequel.

I have purchased the game but not played it because I beat the First Prime two weeks before prime 2 came out and just don't feel like playing it right now. I really enjoyed the first game but I have a backlog of games to play and to play the same sytle of game again is something I don't want to do when I got POP WW and RE4 to play plus more . . .

But I supported and picked it up because I still dig the Big "N"

It's a damn shame really, because MP2 is a fine piece of work. If you've played it you know exactly what I mean. It's worth the $50.

Also the troops overseas are playing the online or LAN games.

I read a article about this, and one of the quotes said "stacks of Metroid 2 were left untouched, while others never made it to the shelves."

One of the main reasons I can think of is that it's more of a gamer's game. It's not one of those games where it's easy to pick up and play but once you get into it, you're hooked.

Definitely worth playing to see some of the level designs. It really makes you feel like you're on an alien world.

It was released in a flood of other games. That and I think a lot of people still resent it being first person (Adventure or shooter) it's a bit disheartening... it's still a good game if you can get past that of course.

They picked a really crowded time to release it, MGS 3 came out the same day. HL 2 came out a week earlier, and Halo 2 a week earlier than that, and GTA:SA two weeks earlier than that. If they could've release it at the end of November or in early December, they might've gotten some better sales from being a little further apart from the other blockbusters of the holiday season.

I think the hype/buzz was low for the game, but it would have been pricey for them to up the ante for releasing it when they did. Also, it's just not going to compare to mainstream games like Halo and GTA. Those games are bought by casual gamers whereas Metroid has become a franchise for the more serious gamer (and probably kids b/c they only own the cube).

I am playing MP2 (slowly) and think it's great. No real improvements over the first, but it's a decent story, enough differences in the weapons and puzzles and at least they didn't try to really 'zazz it up and ruin it some how.

I didn't like the first one, so I know I'm not going to like the next one. Also I'm a fan of the Metroid series, just not the Prime games.

bread's done
Back