Metroid Prime 3 - Do Mother Brains' Have PMS? - 9.5 From IGN!

I'm biased. I own every single Metroid game (pinball, MP2 Echoes demo, and hunters-demo included) and got Super Metroid on it's release date (paid $60 for it at Electronics Boutique - too much, but at least I still have the receipt somewhere for memories of price-gouging). I'm a huge Metroid fan, so much so that I'm taking off August 20 so I can play in peace while my wife has to bring home the bacon by herself that day.

Metroid Prime scared me on my first play, so much so that I played Fusion to completion thinking Prime changed the formula/gameplay too much for me. After taking a month off after picking up/playing Prime on the release date only, I started playing again and after an hour was immersed in the game - MP's concept of a first-person adventure seemed new to me - and didn't want it to end (even the back-tracking was fun for me, so I guess I'm in the minority here). After completing it, I moved onto games in my backlog and didn't pick it up again unless to listen to the music on the title screen sometimes.

After picking up Prime 2, day one, I beat it in 2 weeks (a record for me) and then played it again on Hard in a 100% run. After that, I went back to the original Prime and beat that on a 100% run on Hard as well. Those 2 games were my favorite 2 games of last generation.

I have complete faith in Retro with the third installment. Sure they could disappoint with MP3 and I know there's a population that will be disappointed -no game can ever please everyone. But when others we're screaming Kidtendo in the GameCube era, the Metroid Primes were the reason I stayed with the console when my friends were all playing Halo 2 the day it came out.

Looking forward to gameplay movies from E3 in two weeks or so.

Man I hope I can play this one better than the orginal metroid prime. I was having a blast with it till you ran into that one space pirate near the end that you had to blow off like 5+ pieces of armor then switch visors till you could see him regenning and shoot him with rockets while two other pirates attacked you. At that point I was like this craps getting ridiculous and put it away never to be played again. I didn't even touch the second one for fear of more of the same.

To me bosses should be tough but not involve "that" much crap in order to do damage to them. I don't remember a metroid game to date that I had played before that one that required that much effort to simply get the "opportunity" to damage a boss. I dunno it could be I just stick at the new style of metroid even though I beat the DS version *shrugs*.

Agreed about the bosses. Definitely became over difficult in the MP series IMO. I got through the first game, but as noted I never finished the second.

Hating the Dark World crap was the main reasons I quit (16 hours in, at the spider ball guardian), but struggling with the bosses contributed to it as it definitely sucked some of the fun out of the game for me.

The bosses are always hard the first go round. By the fifth time, once you figured out what you were doing, they became extremely easy. The only two that gave me issue were Ridley and the final boss.

I'm looking forward to this one and will probably get it day 1. I played through almost the entire 1st Prime. In fact I beat Prime but gave up when you had to use that whack phazon move while having to switch visors.

Prime 2 I played for about 30 minutes and remembered how I hated the end of 1 so I never went back (though I'm thinking I should). I'm interested to see if they add any more Wii-uniqueness to the game aside form the aiming and door opening.

I hope this game is better than Metroid Prime 2. I LOVED the first game (it's on the short list of my favorite games of all time - top 5 for sure) but the second one was a little disappointing and I still can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was too similar to MP1? I don't know - I definitely liked it but I'd give it a B+ instead of the A+++++ (that's right - 5 plusses) that I'd give the original. What really disappoints me is thinking how great a game like this could be with Gears of War type graphics...

I think it has a lot to do with the utterly bleak color palette Echoes used*, the tedium of dimension-flipping, and the difficulty of the bosses. Plus, it hit, what, a year after Metroid Prime and there's no way it could've captured that level of "My God, they got it RIGHT!!" exhilaration, could they?

EDIT: Okay, so they hit two years apart, but my point about the excitement diminishing severly remains.

*--No, really, I found myself getting depressed more than anything while playing it. The sand colors and the blacks and deep purples just wore on me after only a couple hours in.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Prime isn't an FPS. It's a First-person Adventure. Major difference.
[/quote]

Then how is it going to "revolutionize FPS GAMING" like Halo did?

Wow, what's weird is I only got halfway through Prime for whatever reason, but completely finished Prime 2 and thought it was a blast.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow, what's weird is I only got halfway through Prime for whatever reason, but completely finished Prime 2 and thought it was a blast.[/QUOTE]

Then go beat it. Now. Prime > Prime 2.;)

I can see that. I just personally have always hated hard bosses, and hard games in general.

Just don't have the patience to do them over and over, learn the patterns etc. I prefer bosses to be like the recent Zelda games where there may be a bit of a puzzle to figure out, but actually doing it is generally easy once you figure it out.

In the Prime games it takes a while to figure out what to do, and then even longer to be able to do it without dying. Being easier on second time through etc. is moot for me as I pretty much never replay games. Would rather move on to something else in my backlog.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I can see that. I just personally have always hated hard bosses, and hard games in general.

Just don't have the patience to do them over and over, learn the patterns etc. I prefer bosses to be like the recent Zelda games where there may be a bit of a puzzle to figure out, but actually doing it is generally easy once you figure it out.[/quote]

That's not a boss. That's just a regular bad guy.

I like my games a bit difficult.
Zelda's bosses are much too easy.

If I can't beat a game, I consider it my problem.

[quote name='dallow']I like my games a bit difficult.

If I can't beat a game, I consider it my problem.[/quote]

Tell 'um old man!

Does anyone else find it ironic that out of the three, Metroid Prime 1 is the only one that doesn't have a prime number next to it?

[/nerd]

Word. Nothing beats getting past a really hard boss after the 4th or 5th (or 49th or 50th) try. I'm usually like"take that biatch" and then I fling the controller in triumph.

What if a game is broken?

[quote name='MarioColbert']Does anyone else find it ironic that out of the three, Metroid Prime 1 is the only one that doesn't have a prime number next to it?

[/nerd][/QUOTE]

:rofl:

61kl2cm.jpg

The entire article is on page 01.

Wow... using the word "sucks" is pretty unprofessional.

What magazine is that, anyways? Poor writing style all around. If that's Play, I'm glad I read the synopsis you provided ;)

If I can't beat a game, I consider it my problem.[/QUOTE]

I used to, but I'm so busy these days I just don't have the patience for overly hard games.

If MP3 has an easy setting, I'll have no shame in using it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow... using the word "sucks" is pretty unprofessional.

What magazine is that, anyways? Poor writing style all around. If that's Play, I'm glad I read the synopsis you provided ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's Play. As you pointed out, you can tell by the atrocious writing.

What's wrong with using colloquialism's in a gaming article? It makes it sound more laid back and casual, instead of being strickly professional and 'facts only'.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Does anyone else find it ironic that out of the three, Metroid Prime 1 is the only one that doesn't have a prime number next to it?

[/nerd][/quote]
So will they stop at 3 or jump over 4 and go directly to 5?

One of my biggest bitches about the Metroid series in general is that Samus, as bad-ass a bounty hunter as she is, consistantly looses her gear and has to go retrieve it. At what point does she say "fuck it, I quit"? I mean, don't they have insurance for stolen merchandise or have extra equipment at the home-base?

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']So will they stop at 3 or jump over 4 and go directly to 5?[/quote]

I don't see why not. In the industry, they call that "pulling a Laffer." Har har, motherfuckers.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
One of my biggest bitches about the Metroid series in general is that Samus, as bad-ass a bounty hunter as she is, consistantly looses her gear and has to go retrieve it. At what point does she say "fuck it, I quit"? I mean, don't they have insurance for stolen merchandise or have extra equipment at the home-base?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how it is handled in MP2, but in the first one she got blasted full force by the monster in the research station.

In Metroid Fusion, her suit got infected, so it had to be removed.

That all said, she and Megaman should hook up. I'm sure he's sick of the same thing.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']So will they stop at 3 or jump over 4 and go directly to 5?

One of my biggest bitches about the Metroid series in general is that Samus, as bad-ass a bounty hunter as she is, consistantly looses her gear and has to go retrieve it. At what point does she say "fuck it, I quit"? I mean, don't they have insurance for stolen merchandise or have extra equipment at the home-base?[/QUOTE]

I think it was Fusion that did an excellent job actually justifying her losing all her shit.

Wow, I'm super fucking late to the party.

[quote name='seanr1221']This game is just the start of me possibly playing Wii more then any other system (combine with Mario and Smash Bros)[/QUOTE]
same here, MP3 is a definite pick up for me

My potential purchase of a Wii will definitely be influenced by how well this game and Super Smash Brothers: Brawl turn out. I for one am definitely looking forward to this game as I loved Prime, its sequel, and the DS game. Seeing as Retro is still at the reigns, I think that this game will turn out well.

I thoroughly enjoyed Metroid Prime. It was different, but I wasn't tempted to pick up again and go through the game another time. I didn't even want to try Metroid Echoes (sequel) because it seemed like the original Prime.

I am looking forward to another game for my Wii other than my copies of Zelda: TP, Wii Sports, and RE4.

I hated MP2 and I wasnt going to get this one because of the tired old you get to some place lose every item you always have and have to get them back game type. But after seeing all the vids and previews, hell I might just be drawn back in. Geez!

Yeah, I stopped playing Zelda because of the tired old "Go to eight dungeons and collect thingies to do stuff" too. *Rolls eyes*

Really. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That said, MP2 put me off on the series as well, but not because it stuck to the Metroid formula.

As noted I loathed the dark world concept and though the bosses were way too hard.

I can not stand that cover. It looks like it was put together by a Photoshop enthusiast. Not the first time, either: I think that Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin games have some of the worst video game covers ever. Eternal Darkness looks like they just stopped trying after figuring out how good the game is and how it's obviously not going to sell too well. I guess the better the game the less they care about how good or bad the cover is.

(Actually, I hated ECHOES cover, too - it looks messy. I like the cover for Metroid Prime, except mine has a dumbass TARGET logo on it, 'cuz it came with a coupon book and at a massive employee discount (massive like a shi-tzu) that was courtesy of a friend.)

[quote name='MarioColbert']I don't see why not. In the industry, they call that "pulling a Laffer." Har har, motherfuckers.[/QUOTE]

As in Larry Laffer and the missing disks?

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']As in Larry Laffer and the missing disks?[/QUOTE]
It's more or less the fact that there was never a LSL 4.

BJ

I need to go play through Metroid Prime 2 before this comes out. The Wii is going to be awesome soon with Strikers, This, and Smash Brothers coming out each of the next 3 months (I think?). Also will this game have online?

[quote name='The Crotch'] It is unknown what if any online support Corruption will have. [/QUOTE]

Don't get your hopes up for online Corruption. The chances of it happening are almost 0% I assure you. We've never heard there will be online except for the speculations drawn by the rabid game journalism crowd who - with little to no evidence - threw out the now infamous "hey it was a launch game and now it is delayed, I WONDER IF THERE BE ONLINE?" Reggie sort of added to the rumor with a very "no comment/it's up to Retro" sort of answer a few months ago, but outside of that, nothing else points to line.

Which is like saying almost nothing tells us there is online. Or rather, everything points to us not having online.

The point I am trying to make is that MP3 will not be online. And if it is, I owe someone something. Like myself a nice steak. Yes. If there is online in MP3 I'll cook myself a giant steak. That seems fair.

Only way it would happen is either a large download component later on, or a completely separate game from Retro posed to deliver online. And even then it might not be a Metroid title.

Aye. "Not in the way you'd expect."

I'll put my balls out there and say offline only certainly is a way I'd not expect online to be done.

Unless they find some badass way where you are given a giant planet with two players at different starting locations, and given missions in either coop or competitive modes, and making the planets massive such that a game could potentially last a few hours, but still retain the whole isolation aspect of Metroid...

Well if that happened I guess I'd have to cook myself two steaks.

Edit: Whoa, can't believe I left a "not" out up there. That changes the whole sentence!

Random insertion of others' Mii (plural form, I think) into the planetscape for scanning?

I wonder if the gameplay and statistics compiled will have something to lend themselves to leaderboards.

I could care less about the online stuff--just give me a solid, lengthy, Metroid-y single-player adventure and I'm a happy man.

bread's done
Back