MGS: Twin Snakes $34.99 used on gamestop.com

On the other hand I think I saw this for 9.99 used at blockbuster or so can't really recall the price for sure

[quote name='davyd']Huh, did this jump in price? I sold mine about 6 months ago for only $25...[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the release of MGS4 caused a surge.

Nah, it was always about $35 used. Since Snake Eater (EDIT: Subsistence) came out. The Metal Gear Collection probably prevented any spike, since the PS1 original was included, for anybody that had to rebuy it to catch up.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Nah, it was always about $35 used. Since Snake Eater (EDIT: Subsistence) came out.[/quote]
That's not true at all. o_O The game used to be $19.99 before MGS4 was close to release. It was just last week when GameStop spiked the price up AGAIN.

[quote name='Tsukento']That's not true at all. o_O The game used to be $19.99 before MGS4 was close to release. It was just last week when GameStop spiked the price up AGAIN.[/quote]

What? It's been at a premium for quite some time, it's not like Gamestop is the only place selling it like that. I saw an auction close at like 75 for it...

[quote name='saintpale']What? It's been at a premium for quite some time, it's not like Gamestop is the only place selling it like that. I saw an auction close at like 75 for it...[/quote]
There's a difference. eBay is an auction site, GameStop is a retail store. The prices on eBay are the result of what people are willing to pay for (or some sellers are just fucking greedy). The prices at GameStop are decided by corporate...who like to use eBay as a reference.

This isn't the first time they spiked up prices for GameCube games. Just recently Pikmin 2 and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance sky-rocketed to the $40 and $30 marks respectively.

[quote name='Tsukento']There's a difference. eBay is an auction site, GameStop is a retail store. The prices on eBay are the result of what people are willing to pay for (or some sellers are just fucking greedy). The prices at GameStop are decided by corporate...who like to use eBay as a reference.

This isn't the first time they spiked up prices for GameCube games. Just recently Pikmin 2 and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance sky-rocketed to the $40 and $30 marks respectively.[/quote]

I still don't think they "spiked" anything, it's becoming harder and harder to find, of course the price wil go up.

[quote name='saintpale']I still don't think they "spiked" anything, it's becoming harder and harder to find, of course the price wil go up.[/quote]
GameStop only bumps GameCube game prices when

1) The game has a sequel just released for a next gen console. It's used as the alternative to the unknown soccer moms that can't find the game their kid wants and are told it's "basically the same thing." Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash both jumped up in price at GameStop due to Brawl and MK Wii's releases. Once they were out after a while, the prices dropped about $5 (they went from being $30/$35 to $40 around Brawl and MKW's releases).

2) The game has a sequel planned (refer to the previous two games mentioned, as well as Metal Gear Solid 4.

3) The game has a RUMORED sequel (see Pikmin jumping to $25 and Pikmin 2 jumping to $40 when Miyamoto stated he wanted to work on a third Pikmin).

4) eBay prices jump. This doesn't always equate to a game being rare or hard to find. Chrono Trigger is far from rare, yet managed to stay high in bids. Why? Because the game is damn good. Because of that and some greedy sellers feeling they should charge an arm and a leg for the game, it's constantly stayed at a high selling price. You can pretty much find it anywhere on auction sites. It's just gonna cost you because everyone seems to think it's rare. This is where GameStop comes in.

i got all 3 MGS's for 30 on my ps2 brand new, now some scratched GS copy without a box... and it used to be like 17.99 not long ago.

I swear I bought this game for less than $10 2 years ago. Since I just bought all 3 in the collection I may part ways with my copy

All used game stores raise the prices of games that are in demand. They did raise the price of this one recently because I bought it about a month ago for $25 at gamestop.

Picked this up at brick and mortar a week ago, only copy in a 18 - 50 mile radius

The copy I got was a New copy converted to used so it had never been owned or played even though it was not sealed. It is a Greatest Hits version.

Freaking awesome deal as the cheapest Amazon price for a used copy is around $50 and new goes for $150.

EDIT: This game is Rare, I had to try like hell to find a copy, its been out of print for years. I tried to find one weeks before MGS4 released and Amazon prices were through the roof then too. $35 is a great price IMO, especially if you can find a new unplayed copy like I did

Just like Ikaruga, FF7, etc., a couple of years ago this game was everywhere! I got my copy brand new for $15 in 2006 @ Fry's Electronics. It is a great game and Silicon Knights did an amazing job developing the game. This game is not rare, because there were plenty of copies sold. It was even released as a Player's Choice! People are just holding onto their copies.

This game is just spiking due to MGS4. If you have a copy you want to get rid of this is the time to sell it. My suggestion is to wait for it to drop in price because it will.

Personally I thought this game was terrible compared to the original. I ran them side by side and the original is sooooo much better looking, so much more artistic.

If for some reason you don't have a Playstation 1, 2, or 3 though, or really, really, really love Metal Gear and want every version of all these....

The game ticked me off too because it was a phenomenal waste of Silicon Knights' talent. A developer capable of making Eternal Darkness should not be wasting their time porting some other company's game.
Now Eternal Darkness is worth tracking down if you don't own it. A must play if you're a survival horror fan. Definitely one of the best.

Darn, I've been looking for a copy of this for a while. If anybody has a mint copy they're interested in selling for a decent price (something along the lines of Gamestop's price or preferably a little less- not ebay prices) let me know.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Personally I thought this game was terrible compared to the original. I ran them side by side and the original is sooooo much better looking, so much more artistic.[/QUOTE] I'd say that if TS had anything going for it beyond the original, it'd be the graphics. Beauty is the in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

[quote name='CaoPi']On the other hand I think I saw this for 9.99 used at blockbuster or so can't really recall the price for sure[/quote]

you would be correct...i just found a copy a month ago at my blockbuster for ten bucks...it wasnt in bad condition and didnt have a manual but for 10 bucks ill take it

Got it a few years ago for around $20 used. This game is awesome. It's a worthy remake that's worth a price like that. I wouldn't go much hire though.

Thanks for the thread! Called around, found one Blockbuster near me that carries it. The lady told me they can't "sell" it to me, but that I can rent it and keep it for $10. Anybody know what the difference is? Leaving in a few hours to check the discs out. Wish it were complete/mint (unlikely), but for $10 I guess I can't really complain.

[quote name='joshythegreat18']Thanks for the thread! Called around, found one Blockbuster near me that carries it. The lady told me they can't "sell" it to me, but that I can rent it and keep it for $10. Anybody know what the difference is? Leaving in a few hours to check the discs out. Wish it were complete/mint (unlikely), but for $10 I guess I can't really complain.[/quote]

Is it 10 after renting?

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd say that if TS had anything going for it beyond the original, it'd be the graphics. Beauty is the in the eye of the beholder, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Compare them side by side. The remake has a higher polygon count and filtered textures and all that, but is a joke artistically compared to the original. Night and day difference. (And IMO the graphics in it aren't very technically impressive for a 'Cube game, while the original's are for a PS1 game-they're more than close enough that the HUGE difference in presentation and direction and general artistry more than throws it in the original's favor).

[quote name='ets']Is it 10 after renting?[/quote]

No idea. Even if it is, it should cost me $15, still much better than the prices they're looking for on ebay. Might even be able to talk them down to $10 total if they want me to pay the $5 extra or w/e they're charging nowadays. I just hope its in pretty good shape. $15 is fine, but if I've gotta go get a case for it and have it resurfaced, I might as well shell out a little extra and see if I can find a complete mint copy for relatively cheap (somewhere other than ebay)/

[quote name='Wolfpup']Compare them side by side. The remake has a higher polygon count and filtered textures and all that, but is a joke artistically compared to the original. Night and day difference. (And IMO the graphics in it aren't very technically impressive for a 'Cube game, while the original's are for a PS1 game-they're more than close enough that the HUGE difference in presentation and direction and general artistry more than throws it in the original's favor).[/QUOTE]

I'm not even a Twin Snakes defender (the original is better on the whole, especially the voice acting), but the graphics in TTS are a lot better. It isn't close by any stretch of the imagination.

xxmgscompare13.jpg

xxmgscompare24.jpg

[quote name='depascal22']Goozex has this for 350 points. Much better than a disc only copy at GS.[/quote]
Yea, Goozex has a lot of rare games for cheap points. The problem is that NO ONE will ship it unless they don't realize it is rare.

I'm kicking myself in the ass right now for buying TWO of these for $7 clearanced at K-Mart, selling one on here for $10 then trading one away for Dark Cloud 2.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Yea, Goozex has a lot of rare games for cheap points. The problem is that NO ONE will ship it unless they don't realize it is rare.[/quote]

Not true. I got at least two emails when I didn't have any points saying that one came through the system. They would've been mine if I had enough points. I've also received PowerStone 2, Persona 3, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and Guilty Gear X2, Guilty Gear X (DC), Capcom vs SNK 2 (GC), and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (DC) through Goozex. You never know unless you get in line and wait.

[quote name='depascal22']Goozex has this for 350 points. Much better than a disc only copy at GS.[/quote]

The only problem is that when you add it, it says "Long Wait." I've never used Goozex before (I'm usually buy my games new when they're cheap), but I'm assuming this means that you'll have to wait a while for it? If that's the case, then it might never come in.

[quote name='joshythegreat18']The only problem is that when you add it, it says "Long Wait." I've never used Goozex before (I'm usually buy my games new when they're cheap), but I'm assuming this means that you'll have to wait a while for it? If that's the case, then it might never come in.[/quote]

It will take awhile, but you'll get it if you wait. The only problem is that by that point, the game could go up points and reach the cap of 1000.

I've received games that said long wait. It just means that more than 100 people are in line ahead of you. Many people have games on hold though so it skips right over them and gets closer to you. Also, alot of people might not have enough points or trade credits which also skips them over and you get that dreaded email saying that an uber-rare game just went through the system and your ass was too broke to get it.

Even if the game caps out at 1000 points (which it might or might not do since the system is rarely logical), you can still ebay it for 70. That will allow you to play through the game and recoup some cost afterward. Sounds like a great deal to me.

[quote name='forumreader']I'm not even a Twin Snakes defender (the original is better on the whole, especially the voice acting), but the graphics in TTS are a lot better. It isn't close by any stretch of the imagination.[/QUOTE]

It has a better polygon count and better textures-compare them side by side (I mean on a TV, not in a still picture) and there's no question how much more artistic the original is. The remake uses bland, standard, completely uninspired framing, etc. The original also looks better than those screen shots make it out to be.

Question for those of you who've used Goozex before: In what condition are the games usually in? I'm all for buying some points to get a complete copy of MGS: The Twin Snakes, but a complete copy beat to hell isn't really worth it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']there's no question how much more artistic the original is. The remake uses bland, standard, completely uninspired framing, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh...you're saying the original has more artistic framing! I'm in for 12.

;)

Wow, I was just thinking of picking this game up. But I'm glad to be borrowing my friend's copy instead for free!

Even after finishing MGS4, the revamped cutscenes in MGS: TS are still very impressive. Still, I agree with many that the voice acting in the original is better than this.

Honestly, every time I see someone moaning about how TS isn't like the original, it just makes it seem like all of their arguments are basically for nostalgia's sake. :\

[quote name='Tsukento']Honestly, every time I see someone moaning about how TS isn't like the original, it just makes it seem like all of their arguments are basically for nostalgia's sake. :\[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with nostalgia. I was having a hard time believing it was really worse when I rented it, so I pulled the original and played them side by side. Night and day difference.

Claiming the remake looks better is like saying Rush Hour has better cinematography than Braveheart if you're playing the former on Blu Ray and the latter on DVD. Yes the technical aspects making up the picture are better, but it's artistic merit is far, far worse.

[quote name='Wolfpup'] The original also looks better than those screen shots make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

No, that's really how MGS looks. I love and prefer the game, but the graphics are rough (as they should be, it's the PS1 after all).

[quote name='Wolfpup']
and there's no question how much more artistic the original is.
[/QUOTE]

If anything, the remake is probably *too* artistic.

This is a decent deal if you're looking for it, but if you have a Playstation a better buy is getting the Essential collection with the first 3 Solid games.

bread's done
Back