MGS4 Headed to Xbox 360

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']RESOLUTION IS NOT A FUNCTION OF DISC CAPACITY, YOU GOD DAMNED MORON. You are exactly the sort of easily fooled and manipulated consumer who is led to believe (and buy into) untrue bullshit by companies like Sony, and it's shit like that that's hurting the industry so bad. It's seriously disheartening that there are people who believe this crap.[/quote]It is if they're creating higher-res textures for 1080 over 720. I doubt they'll do that, but it's still possible.

No reason to get so upset, though. There's truth behin the statement even if the terminology isn't right. The PS3 will likely use uncompressed textures and audio for the game, the 360 rightly would avoid that. Now, done well, about 6 people in the world would be able to tell the difference between the game visually and aurally (and I daresay most people here don't have a professional enough setup to be able to even touch the difference quality. No, my friends, your PS3 hooked up to your Best Buy-bought HDTV and surround sound system isn't sufficient, regardless of what the sales clerk told you.)

The argument of "The 360 will have to be so downgraded to fit on a DVD!" is ignorant at best. It will need to be compressed, but unless it's done very poorly, that won't result in any image or sound degradation. However, there is truth that the PS3 assets won't just be able to be slapped on a DVD-9.

We could go round-and-round about whether using compression is good or bad, or whether the Blu-Ray disc is allowing new experiences or just lazy developing, but that's nor really the scope of this thread.

[quote name='KingBroly']If it's true, it's still a year-long wait. And I don't think Kojima wants to have downloadable content on a series he wants to end.[/quote]Actually Kojima has said that if fans really wanted another MGS he wouldn't mind working on it. He just wouldn't be the director for the game.

[quote name='daroga']It is if they're creating higher-res textures for 1080 over 720. I doubt they'll do that, but it's still possible.

No reason to get so upset, though. There's truth behin the statement even if the terminology isn't right. The PS3 will likely use uncompressed textures and audio for the game, the 360 rightly would avoid that. Now, done well, about 6 people in the world would be able to tell the difference between the game visually and aurally (and I daresay most people here don't have a professional enough setup to be able to even touch the difference quality. No, my friends, your PS3 hooked up to your Best Buy-bought HDTV and surround sound system isn't sufficient, regardless of what the sales clerk told you.)

The argument of "The 360 will have to be so downgraded to fit on a DVD!" is ignorant at best. It will need to be compressed, but unless it's done very poorly, that won't result in any image or sound degradation. However, there is truth that the PS3 assets won't just be able to be slapped on a DVD-9.

We could go round-and-round about whether using compression is good or bad, or whether the Blu-Ray disc is allowing new experiences or just lazy developing, but that's nor really the scope of this thread.[/QUOTE]

So what happens if MGS 4 is so large that it requires a dual layered blu ray... 50gb game... wonder how well that would port to a dvd anything.

[quote name='Thomas96']So what happens if MGS 4 is so large that it requires a dual layered blu ray... 50gb game... wonder how well that would port to a dvd anything.[/quote]If it's bloated with uncompressed audio and textures, pretty well. It might put it at a 2 DVD set, but as I said before, if anyone has an issue with one disc swap in a game the length of a MGS game, I don't know what to say to them.

You'd be amazed how out-of-control audio files get without compression. And how unnoticable it is when compressed well.

I'm curious if MGS4 will be developed with a 360 port in mind now. Still, I wouldn't worry about disc space if the game fills up a Blu-Ray disc. Konami will just put the 360 version over multiple DVDs. The first Metal Gear Solid was over two disc for the PSX.

[quote name='MadFlava']I'm curious if MGS4 will be developed with a 360 port in mind now. Still, I wouldn't worry about disc space if the game fills up a Blu-Ray disc. Konami will just put the 360 version over multiple DVDs. The first Metal Gear Solid was over two disc for the PSX.[/QUOTE]

It'll be interesting to see how compression plays into all that though. While yeah, if it's compressed well, everything will look and sound pretty close, nothing can beat uncompressed audio and I really don't think that's even a consideration even for multiple DVDs. Point is, I'd be surprised it MGS4 didn't lose something in the translation.

[quote name='Chacrana']It'll be interesting to see how compression plays into all that though. While yeah, if it's compressed well, everything will look and sound pretty close, nothing can beat uncompressed audio and I really don't think that's even a consideration even for multiple DVDs. Point is, I'd be surprised it MGS4 didn't lose something in the translation.[/quote]No doubt the PS3 version will be the supreme version in quality of content. But, will the difference be noticable to the vast majority of consumers? I think not. And certainly not enough to buy a $600 system if MGS4 was the one game you were looking forward to on the PS3.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']RESOLUTION IS NOT A FUNCTION OF DISC CAPACITY, YOU GOD DAMNED MORON. You are exactly the sort of easily fooled and manipulated consumer who is led to believe (and buy into) untrue bullshit by companies like Sony, and it's shit like that that's hurting the industry so bad. It's seriously disheartening that there are people who believe this crap.[/quote]

Don't blow up, you're wrong.

It takes more space to RENDER something at a higher resolution.
It takes much less space to render at a lower resolution, then upscale it to whatever.

[quote name='daroga']No doubt the PS3 version will be the supreme version in quality of content. But, will the difference be noticable to the vast majority of consumers? I think not. And certainly not enough to buy a $600 system if MGS4 was the one game you were looking forward to on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, realistically, I think only those with decent HT setups are going to notice the difference... though for them, the version to choose would be absolutely clear.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, realistically, I think only those with decent HT setups are going to notice the difference... though for them, the version to choose would be absolutely clear.[/quote]

The version for me is clear.
Besides, I'm not waiting a year to play it.

[quote name='dallow']The version for me is clear.
Besides, I'm not waiting a year to play it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's that too. It's not like I had to think about it for even a second myself either.

[quote name='dallow']Don't blow up, you're wrong.

It takes more space to RENDER something at a higher resolution.
It takes much less space to render at a lower resolution, then upscale it to whatever.[/quote]Unless they have a different texture set for 1080 resolution, it will make no difference space-wise. Unless I'm mistaken, the vast majoirty of games running in 1080 use the same assets as they do when running in 720 (likewise the same assets for 480, but you lose a lot of the detail), much like a PC game does.

Resolution in and of itself will not require more disc space, but depending on how the team handles it, it might.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Assuming this is true (could go either way it seems), I'm excited at the possibility of playing the next MGS without having to fork over the money for a PS3.

No rant. No rave. No flaming.[/QUOTE]

NOW I'M PISSED!

...err, actually, it's nice to see something reasonable written for a change. You welcome MGS on the 360, you don't make the fallacious conclusion that this means the PS3 is dead, and you don't use this as an opportunity to espouse your belief in the inherent superiority of one console over the other.

Good lord n' butter, I do believe we've discovered a *reasonable* post in a thread about current-gen systems. I think we should pay to have it bronzed.

I have a gripe about 360 games... For some reason, I can spend 60 dollars on a ps3 game. in blu ray, but I can reservations about doing that for the 360 and buying a 60 dollar dvd.

before the ps3 came out, I was hoping that ps3 games since being on blu ray would have more game. GTA IV on blu ray... I was hoping that the ps3 version would have a bigger, or a seperate city to roam to.

but, if MGS 4 comes out on both ps3 and 360 simultaneously, I'd go for the ps3 version by default...

[quote name='Thomas96']I have a gripe about 360 games... For some reason, I can spend 60 dollars on a ps3 game. in blu ray, but I can reservations about doing that for the 360 and buying a 60 dollar dvd. [/quote]I tend to buy games on their own merit rather than on the format they're pressed onto. A crap game on Blu-Ray disc is still crap; a good game on a DVD is still good. But, if I had a PS3 and a 360, and the games were identical in all their features, I'd opt for the PS3 version with uncompressed audio and textures.

[quote name='dallow']It takes more space to RENDER something at a higher resolution.
It takes much less space to render at a lower resolution, then upscale it to whatever.[/QUOTE]
Hahahahahaha, you don't know anything about technology or computers, do you?

Doom 3 takes the same amount of hard drive space on my PC whether I play the game at 320x240 or 1600x1200.

[quote name='Thomas96']I have a gripe about 360 games... For some reason, I can spend 60 dollars on a ps3 game. in blu ray, but I can reservations about doing that for the 360 and buying a 60 dollar dvd.

before the ps3 came out, I was hoping that ps3 games since being on blu ray would have more game. GTA IV on blu ray... I was hoping that the ps3 version would have a bigger, or a seperate city to roam to.

but, if MGS 4 comes out on both ps3 and 360 simultaneously, I'd go for the ps3 version by default...[/quote]I have a gripe about all PS3 and 360 games being $60 when the excuse was largely that they're in HD, when PC games have been and still are in HD and are no more expensive. See Shadowrun. But that's a whole other issue.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Hahahahahaha, you don't know anything about technology or computers, do you?

Doom 3 takes the same amount of hard drive space on my PC whether I play the game at 320x240 or 1600x1200.[/quote]

I take that back. I'm wrong.
I was thinking of movie compression.

Rendering polygons doesn't have anything to do with space as my PSX emulator can render games at much higher resolutions than they were made.

Damnit, I still hate you CoffeeEdge! :bomb:

[quote name='botticus']I have a gripe about all PS3 and 360 games being $60 when the excuse was largely that they're in HD, when PC games have been and still are in HD and are no more expensive. See Shadowrun. But that's a whole other issue.[/QUOTE]

Better yet, a lot of those PC games are $40. Maybe even the majority are.

[quote name='dallow']I take that back. I'm wrong.
I was thinking of movie compression.

Rendering polygons doesn't have anything to do with space as my PSX emulator can render games at much higher resolutions than they were made.

Damnit, I still hate you CoffeeEdge! :bomb:[/quote]

pwned?

with it still coming to the 360, I think I'll still choose the ps3 version. just because I have a ps3 and if it comes out a year earlier, I'll be of course choosing it on a system I've already got, not like I bought the system JUST for mgs4 though :]

It's the giant costs of development that make the games cost so much.

Oh no, now I'm just begging for Dr. Mario Kart to come in here and scold us!

I have both a PS3 and a 360, but if it means that I can play it on the much-more-comfortable 360 controller, get achievements, and play multiplayer without going through the giant headache that is the Playstation Network, I'll wait a year. Then again, that's only me. If we were talking about FFXIII, I'd buy it on both platforms, just to compare the experience.

As far as worthwhile PS3 games, I'm looking forward to FFXIII (obviously), Eye of Judgment, Ratchet, Lair (although I've not heard good things recently), God of War 3, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Little Big Planet, and Resistance 2 (you know it's coming). I may be missing a couple...

For the 360, there's Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, Shadowrun, Two Worlds, Too Human, Cry On, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Call of Juarez, PGR4, Overlord, Project Sylpheed, Splinter Cell: Conviction, etc.

For both platforms, and barring any differences in gameplay or exclusive content, I'll opt for the 360 version (thanks to Achievement... yes, I know I'm a whore), there's The Darkness, Tiger Woods 2008, Bladestorm,
Dark Sector, Half-Life 2, Assassin's Creed, BlackSite: Area 51, Devil May Cry 4, Madden 2008 (and 2009, 2010, 2011, etc.), Medal of Honor: Airborne, Stranglehold, GTA4, EndWar, Kane & Lynch, etc.

Overall, it still seems to be a fairly even race, with exclusives making the difference. If you're into RPG, racing, or FPS games, I'd say go for the 360. If you're into platforming or action/adventure games, the PS3 looks like it's the way to go. If you're into both, like me, you're fucked.

[quote name='Omatsei']I have both a PS3 and a 360, but if it means that I can play it on the much-more-comfortable 360 controller, get achievements, and play multiplayer without going through the giant headache that is the Playstation Network, I'll wait a year. Then again, that's only me. If we were talking about FFXIII, I'd buy it on both platforms, just to compare the experience.

As far as worthwhile PS3 games, I'm looking forward to FFXIII (obviously), Eye of Judgment, Ratchet, Lair (although I've not heard good things recently), God of War 3, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Little Big Planet, and Resistance 2 (you know it's coming). I may be missing a couple...

For the 360, there's Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, Shadowrun, Two Worlds, Too Human, Cry On, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Call of Juarez, PGR4, Overlord, Project Sylpheed, Splinter Cell: Conviction, etc.

For both platforms, and barring any differences in gameplay or exclusive content, I'll opt for the 360 version (thanks to Achievement... yes, I know I'm a whore), there's The Darkness, Tiger Woods 2008, Bladestorm,
Dark Sector, Half-Life 2, Assassin's Creed, BlackSite: Area 51, Devil May Cry 4, Madden 2008 (and 2009, 2010, 2011, etc.), Medal of Honor: Airborne, Stranglehold, GTA4, EndWar, Kane & Lynch, etc.

Overall, it still seems to be a fairly even race, with exclusives making the difference. If you're into RPG, racing, or FPS games, I'd say go for the 360. If you're into platforming or action/adventure games, the PS3 looks like it's the way to go. If you're into both, like me, you're fucked.[/quote]

Eternal Sonata is coming to PS3 as well.
And you're right, having both systems is the way to go.

[quote name='dallow']Eternal Sonata is coming to PS3 as well.
And you're right, having both systems is the way to go.[/quote]

Is it? Where'd you read that....
but anyway, I wish there were NO exclusives for any console (besides those made from the actual 1st party company lol)...would make choosing one to buy a lot easier :p

[quote name='Z-Saber']Assuming this is true (could go either way it seems), I'm excited at the possibility of playing the next MGS without having to fork over the money for a PS3.

No rant. No rave. No flaming.[/quote]

qft

PSHome will have achievements...well, trophies rather. Don't shoot the messenger!

[quote name='Spades22']Is it? Where'd you read that....
but anyway, I wish there were NO exclusives for any console (besides those made from the actual 1st party company lol)...would make choosing one to buy a lot easier :p[/quote]

If that were the case then I would have never touched the 360.
But I likes me some Dead Rising, and Gears was nice enough.

The XBOX got me with Shenmue 2, and Jet Set Radio 2.

[quote name='Apossum']PSHome will have achievements...well, trophies rather. Don't shoot the messenger![/quote]

I think they're calling them 'milestones'.
Heh.

[quote name='Apossum']PSHome will have achievements...well, trophies rather. Don't shoot the messenger![/QUOTE]

fuckING FAGGIT WAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW!!!!!

If MGS4 (or any other game) requires multiple DVDs, perhaps there will be an option to "install" the game on the harddrive so that no disc swapping is needed.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']If MGS4 (or any other game) requires multiple DVDs, perhaps there will be an option to "install" the game on the harddrive so that no disc swapping is needed.[/quote]

Better buy the $180 HDD for your 360 then.

Disc swapping isn't that big a deal.

The longer I read these posts that end up being about console wars it almost always comes down to one thing. PRICE. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a game like MGS4 can and will move some hardware but that's for people like us, who know what's up within the gaming industry.

I think we would all agree (as gamers) that every system will have a few compelling reasons to own each system (1st or 3rd party exclusives). When I see sales data that the Wii and the PS2 are selling strong that tells me something. When people post "I just saved $600" that tells me something as well. The majority want it...they just want it for less.

I think MGS4 will come to the 360 mainly so Konami can recoup their cost and make a profit. While it does hurt Sony in the short-term if it comes to fruition, I still believe Sony's biggest deterent right now is their own current buisness model.

[quote name='jkam']The longer I read these posts that end up being about console wars it almost always comes down to one thing. PRICE. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a game like MGS4 can and will move some hardware but that's for people like us, who know what's up within the gaming industry.

I think we would all agree (as gamers) that every system will have a few compelling reasons to own each system (1st or 3rd party exclusives). When I see sales data that the Wii and the PS2 are selling strong that tells me something. When people post "I just saved $600" that tells me something as well. The majority want it...they just want it for less.

I think MGS4 will come to the 360 mainly so Konami can recoup their cost and make a profit. While it does hurt Sony in the short-term if it comes to fruition, I still believe Sony's biggest deterent right now is their own current buisness model.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, MGS2 didn't sell well on the Xbox, so who knows if it'll recoup costs or make the game a little more costly.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']If MGS4 (or any other game) requires multiple DVDs, perhaps there will be an option to "install" the game on the harddrive so that no disc swapping is needed.[/QUOTE]
Blue Dragon doesn't do that, so, yeah, I wouldn't count on seeing that.

PS3, 360, Wii (could be fun)...Meh, I'm covered. Same reason I didn't get worked up last gen. It's not worth it.

And for all the fanboys for whatever system you 'represent'...what does it matter to you what platform a company releases a game on? Are you making any money on that one extra copy that sells for the PS3, or 360 or Wii?

Multi-Platofrm releases are good for the video game industry. You maximize exposure, thus increasing potential profits. If it's a good game, everyone wins. If it sucks, then it's the developer who suffers. As it should be.

Can't we all just get along?

Awesome news. We all knew it was going to happen though, I recall "Konami can't afford to have MGS4 be a PS3 exclusive" uttered many times. It looks like we were correct.

[quote name='Number83']PS3, 360, Wii (could be fun)...Meh, I'm covered. Same reason I didn't get worked up last gen. It's not worth it.

And for all the fanboys for whatever system you 'represent'...what does it matter to you what platform a company releases a game on? Are you making any money on that one extra copy that sells for the PS3, or 360 or Wii?

Multi-Platofrm releases are good for the video game industry. You maximize exposure, thus increasing potential profits. If it's a good game, everyone wins. If it sucks, then it's the developer who suffers. As it should be.

Can't we all just get along?[/QUOTE]

Your post reminded me of some lyrics I think we all need to ponder:

"
If you see a nigga and he throwin' up a set and it aint yo' set
Or it aint yo' click
I want chall niggas to tell dem' niggas like dis
I want you to get up in that muthafucka' face
And do dis shit...

[Verse 3]
Hea we go [x6]
Say nigga fuck you!
Nigga fuck you [x7]
Cuz' you don't wanna fuck wit' me
Cuz my niggas in the club will heat [2X]
"

[quote name='Number83']PS3, 360, Wii (could be fun)...Meh, I'm covered. Same reason I didn't get worked up last gen. It's not worth it.

Can't we all just get along?[/quote]

The game suffers, thus, the gamer suffers.

As a multiplatform (title) the game will never maximize the potential of the systems it appears on.
In THIS case however, Kojima will do his best to maximize the PS3 version, he's probably not even going to touch the 360 port.

I forgot to add White Knight Story to the list of PS3 games I'm looking forward to. It's one of the rare RPG's (aside from FFXIII) that look good.

Yes, you're right... Eternal Sonata is for both systems (probably). It was leaked on the ESRB's website in April as being rated T for Teen for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. That puts it squarely in the "both system" category, but leans to the 360 side due a likely timed-exclusive.

As for the PS3's "milestones" or "trophies" or whatever they end up calling them, I just can't see it being a big deal for me. On the 360, I can jump to my friend list, and immediately see everyone's gamerscore, then also view their achievements separated by game. Yes, it's possible in the PS3, but it's not convenient. I'm constantly comparing my achievements in Guitar Hero 2 to a friend's, and if I had to wait for a separate application to load, then walk to his house and search through his trophies (which can be moved and positioned however he wants), I just can't see it as something I'd want to do very often. Unfortunately, although I see huge potential in Home, I think they're missing the point with their version of Achievements.

[quote name='Chacrana']Your post reminded me of some lyrics I think we all need to ponder:

"
If you see a nigga and he throwin' up a set and it aint yo' set
Or it aint yo' click
I want chall niggas to tell dem' niggas like dis
I want you to get up in that muthafucka' face
And do dis shit...

[Verse 3]
Hea we go [x6]
Say nigga fuck you!
Nigga fuck you [x7]
Cuz' you don't wanna fuck wit' me
Cuz my niggas in the club will heat [2X]
"[/quote]

I have no idea what you just said...:)

[quote name='Number83']Multi-Platofrm releases are good for the video game industry. You maximize exposure, thus increasing potential profits. If it's a good game, everyone wins. If it sucks, then it's the developer who suffers. As it should be.[/quote]I disagree. While a multi-platform game could be great across the system, as you pointed out, they're seeking to maximize profits. Which means that they're not going to really put Wii controls that make sense and are fun, incorporate unique Xbox Live features, and really make good use of that Blu-Ray disc. Mult- platform games just end up being watered down games. They may be good in their own right, but if that game had been designed with one platform in mind, it'd like have been better.

But such has always been the case with multi-platform games. And as development costs rise, the era of the non-1st or 2nd party exclusive may be passing us by.

[quote name='Number83']I have no idea what you just said...:)[/QUOTE]

It's from Lil Jon's poetic "Put yo hood up."

But... y'know... not for everyone prolly.

[quote name='Apossum']unfortunately, MGS2 didn't sell well on the Xbox, so who knows if it'll recoup costs or make the game a little more costly.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that means they lost money by bringing it to the xbox. I mean the game was already a finished product it was just ported over (poorly at that). I could be wrong but I don't think it would have raised the overall cost.

I hope to be playing MGS4 on my 360. That would make me very happy.

Honestly I could live without it. I've played the last two in their re-release versions and enjoyed them much more than when I tried the originals. (Especially subsistence) I would gladly wait a year for a 360 double dip version.

MGS I know we have a forbidden love being an American gaming system and all, but have your fun on the PS3 first. When the PS3 makes you try things you wish you didn't (Timed exclusive, Whored in front of the press & your first dual-layer disc Blu-Ray penetration) I'll be here waiting for you. Some would say that this is sloppy seconds and to those I say "fuck off! I'll have thirds!"

I honestly don't care about it being on the 360, however even if I didn't have a PS3 I would buy one for MGS4, because lets face it. By the time it comes out on 360 the story will probably be spoiled for you people, and having a MGS story spoiled is no good.

So all I can say, is if you plan to wait for the 360 version avoid the internet :p

[quote name='whoknows']So all I can say, is if you plan to wait for the 360 version avoid the internet :p[/QUOTE]

Yep. I did that for MGS2 and 3. Didn't go near anything gaming related until I completed both of those games.

As long as we get this upgraded version on the PS3, I'll be happy. I'll probably buy both on release, like I've always done. MGS4 was definitely one of my original reasons to get the PS3, but now I've got a couple more. I also don't think I could wait a year to play it. I'm one of the few who would pay that extra $200 just to play MGS4 on release.

bread's done
Back