Microsoft Announces Power Cord Replacement for Xbox

orangemage

CAGiversary!
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/0502/powercordannouncement.htm

Microsoft Announces Power Cord Replacement for Xbox

REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 17, 2005 — As a precautionary measure and out of concern for consumer safety, Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will voluntarily replace the power cords on 14.1 million Xbox® consoles worldwide.
The replacement power cords are designed to protect consumers and their Xbox consoles from rare electrical component failures that can pose a fire hazard. Fewer than one in 10,000 consoles have experienced these component failures, and, in almost all instances, any damage caused by these failures was contained within the console itself or limited to the tip of the power cord at the back of the console.

However, in 30 consoles worldwide, these failures are reported to have caused minor injury or minor property damage. In seven instances, customers reported sustaining a minor burn to their hand. In 23 instances, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet or entertainment center.

In all regions except Continental Europe, Xbox consoles manufactured before Oct. 23, 2003, require a replacement power cord. In Continental Europe, consoles manufactured before Jan. 13, 2004, require a replacement power cord.

“This is a preventative step we’re choosing to take despite the rarity of these incidents,” said Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the Home & Entertainment Division at Microsoft. “We regret the inconvenience, but believe offering consumers a free replacement is the responsible thing to do.”
To order a replacement cord, consumers should go to http://www.xbox.com and click on the Power Cord Replacement for Xbox link. Replacement cords will arrive two to four weeks after the order is placed. While waiting for the new cord to arrive, consumers should turn off their Xbox consoles when not in use.

[quote name='orangemage']While waiting for the new cord to arrive, consumers should turn off their Xbox consoles when not in use.[/quote]

Are there people that just leave their Xbox on 24/7?

But heck, I'll take a new cord. I'd hate to not do it and end up with a fire caused by my Xbox. I got mine early Jan. '04 so depending on how long mine sat on the shelf, I may not need one.

You need your serial number and manufacture date to do the form.

VH: Bill, that Xbox is smokin'!
Bill Gates: Well thanks, we spent a lot o-
VH: Uh Bill... no really it's on fire.
BG: --well, with all that processing powe- excuse me second.
VH: Billy!!!!!!!!!!

pm me if any of you have suffered pain and suffering (mental or physical) due to this irresponsible corporate activity. together we can make microsoft pay for their attempt to cut corners at the expense of our safety. i myself have suffered. last night i went to unplug my xbox and the cord was warm. it gave me an unpleasant feeling in my hand which i later had a nightmare about...i can't talk write anymore right now or i will start crying at work.

let's get this class action suit rolling.

dang...beat me by 6min...

just saw this posted on NeoWin.net.

Cant' order it at work..so I guess I'll have to wait till I get home.

Now if MS would recall all of those Thompson drives we'd be all set!

Thanks for posting OP!

I always thought the Xbox power cord was a little wonky (and the old Thompson drives blew chunks), but at least M$ is finally doing something about the power cord.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']woohoo...i qualified for one...oh wait, those bastards could've burned my house down :censored:[/quote]

Lets sue them. :beer:

wow, thanks for the news OP.

Goot thing I already told my friends about this, since they like to play Halo 2 and drink till the wee hours of the morning. Plus his room is full of clothes on the floor..... posters on the wall ........ he is fat ...... everything is on top of the xbox....... he has the vents blocked for some reason ........ he is fat ....... he lives on the second level of his apartment........ he is fat........ he drinks...... the stairs it to small to run down without getting hurt......... food wrappers from lst month's halo lan party are still there................ yeah, I am going to miss my friend! [-o

i didnt even know the thing had a born on date on the bottom- shows how often i lift mine up i guess

this took an oddly long amount of time to realize

love how it says allow 2 to 4 weeks to allow delivery . So the people who are still playing with the bad power cord this now Lets MSFT off the hook. This was the man reason i always unpluged my xbox cause the system seemed to be very hot after playing it (though my PS2 does to) i always unplug all my systems when not in use.

Even if the powerplug wasnt messed up a Power surge could blow your tv up and start a fire and that is why i alwasys unplug everything

[quote name='lupe121283']wow, thanks for the news OP.

Goot thing I already told my friends about this, since they like to play Halo 2 and drink till the wee hours of the morning. Plus his room is full of clothes on the floor..... posters on the wall ........ he is fat ...... everything is on top of the xbox....... he has the vents blocked for some reason ........ he is fat ....... he lives on the second level of his apartment........ he is fat........ he drinks...... the stairs it to small to run down without getting hurt......... food wrappers from lst month's halo lan party are still there................ yeah, I am going to miss my friend! [-o

Just saw this on the news and I've ordered my replacement cord. I've actually worried about this fire hazard before, because multiple times when plugging in my Xbox I have seen sparks around the outlet. This doesn't happen with any of my other electronics and it happens at any location I plug my Xbox in.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='lupe121283']wow, thanks for the news OP.

Oh great and here I am using my XBOX power cord on my Dreamcast too (lost the original DC cord)! Guess I'm going order a replacement.

Hey, my Xbox was manufactured in August of 2002. Wow! :shock: Thanks OP for the info, ordered mine. If it takes 2-4 weeks to get my cord when I only live about 10 miles from the MS campus I would be shocked. I think Bill Gates should deliver these cords personally to all the Xbox owners who live in Seattle and surrounding areas.

It's free im not complaining. Been working for two years abouts and has been on for over 40 hours a week at times, can't say the same for some PS2s.

Although the Cube is by far the most durable of the next gen systems.

[quote name='radjago']Now if we could only get them to replace those Thomson drives.[/quote]

Tell me about it. I'm paranoid everyday that my Thompson will completely die out on me.

I traded my 2nd Thompson in after I kept getting a "Please reconnect controller #(insert random number)" error message. My college box is a 2004 Samsung model :).

On the other hand, my box at home is a launch box, still going strong... but will need a replacement cord, :(.

Does anynody know off hand when the Halo Xbox's were made, I have one but it is to much of a pain to get to it in my media center to see the info on the bottom.

[quote name='orangemage'][quote name='vherub']anyone have a direct link to the replacement request page, it wont appear for me on the xbox.com main page[/quote]

Cheap ass link[/quote]

very much 'preciated

[quote name='ajh2298']Does anynody know off hand when the Halo Xbox's were made, I have one but it is to much of a pain to get to it in my media center to see the info on the bottom.[/quote]

Halo XBOX was manufactured in 2004, I checked it says we are unaffected. Also, how do I know what kind of Hard Drive I have?

Here's an email I had sent to me from Microsoft:

This is an unmonitored email address, please do not respond.

February 17, 2005

MICROSOFT ANNOUNCES POWER CORD REPLACEMENT FOR XBOX

Dear Xbox Customer:

I am writing to provide you with information about a free power cord replacement program for Xbox.

Microsoft has chosen to replace the power cords on Xbox consoles manufactured before October 23, 2003. Our records indicate that you may own one of these consoles.

We are providing replacement power cords because component failure in a small number of consoles - fewer than 1 in 10,000 - has caused burning inside the console or melting of the power cord where it connects to the console.

Microsoft has designed the replacement power cords to protect you and your Xbox from these component failures and a potential fire hazard.

Check the manufacture date on the bottom of your console. No action is necessary if your console was manufactured on or after October 23, 2003.

If your console was manufactured before October 23, 2003, go to www.xbox.com and click on Power Cord Replacement for Xbox to get a free replacement power cord. If you are unable to access this website, please call 1-866-271-0450.

Your new cord should arrive in two to four weeks. Until you receive and install your replacement power cord, turn off your Xbox when it's not in use.

We appreciate your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Robbie Bach
Senior Vice President, Home & Entertainment Division
Microsoft Corporation

Privacy Statement | Terms of Use

© 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. The names and logos of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.

[quote name='slidecage']love how it says allow 2 to 4 weeks to allow delivery . So the people who are still playing with the bad power cord this now Lets MSFT off the hook. This was the man reason i always unpluged my xbox cause the system seemed to be very hot after playing it (though my PS2 does to) i always unplug all my systems when not in use.

Even if the powerplug wasnt messed up a Power surge could blow your tv up and start a fire and that is why i alwasys unplug everything[/quote]
This is why I always flip the breaker on my house before I go to sleep or work.

Thanks OP, got mine ordered.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='lupe121283']wow, thanks for the news OP.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='lupe121283']wow, thanks for the news OP.

[quote name='"Supernothing"'][quote name='slidecage']love how it says allow 2 to 4 weeks to allow delivery . So the people who are still playing with the bad power cord this now Lets MSFT off the hook. This was the man reason i always unpluged my xbox cause the system seemed to be very hot after playing it (though my PS2 does to) i always unplug all my systems when not in use.

Even if the powerplug wasnt messed up a Power surge could blow your tv up and start a fire and that is why i alwasys unplug everything[/quote]
This is why I always flip the breaker on my house before I go to sleep or work.

Great Comedy today guys its completing my Friday!

bread's done
Back