Microsoft points being converted to real money

Now that I see how much some of the stuff costs and the fact that I can only get 3 bucks from Bing I'm not liking this change.  I would have never had an issue paying 1200-1400 points for something however the 14.99 just seems to much for a download.  I know that is about what it cost before, but it just seems higher now.

Interesting article regarding price increases on the marketplace. Sorry if this is old news but I just found it.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/microsoft-to-raise-xbox-live-game-prices-by-converting-from-msp-to-real-money/44659.html

Microsoft is currently conducting a beta test of the new Xbox 360 update which will introduce a few new interesting changes to the online service, some of which may not be exactly welcomed by the community. According to various sources in the current Xbox LIVE beta program, the prices of digital content featured on Xbox LIVE will increase in price once the update rolls out thanks to Microsoft’s conversion from its digital current–Microsoft Points (MSP)–to real money.

While many gamers across the world were in favor of the change, but if this tip is indeed true, it may send a wave of dissatisfaction through the community as a whole.

The sources told Eurogamer that the update converts a user’s current pool of Microsoft Points into local, real-world currency the very moment that they try to buy something on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Additionally the source claimed that Microsoft issued no warning or notifications that this would happen.

According to the source, 1200 MSP ($14.99 USD) converted into real-world currency doesn’t translate literally into $14.99 and no longer affords a game that was previously listed as 1200 MSP.

Below you can see a general breakdown of the purported conversion rations that are claimed to be included in the upcoming Xbox LIVE update:

• 1600MSP games are now $21.99 USD; previously this was the equivalent of $19.99
  • 1200 MSP games are now $17.99; previously $14.99
  • 800 MSP games are now $12.99; an even bigger increase – previously this was $9.99
  • 400 MSP games are now $6.99; previously $4.99
As you can see, based on the claims, Microsoft will be implementing a $2-3 change in prices on Xbox LIVE Marketplace content. The tipster listed the above values for Xbox LIVE Arcade games purchased on the marketplace, but we may be able to expect raises in everything from Games on Demand titles to avatar props, themes, videos and more.

Users on Reddit have also reported similar claims with their experiences with the Xbox LIVE beta update, and hopefully Microsoft will be able to refine the values a bit so that gamers aren’t having to pay more for content next month than they would last month.

Additionally it’s curious to imagine how Microsoft will implement their Xbox LIVE Rewards structure to fit in with the new conversion, and if they will raise the proportional amount of bonus points earned for the various objectives–or if they will just avoid this by scrapping the rewards system altogether, which would spurn the Xbox LIVE community.

In any case, if enough gamers band together and let their voices be heard, we may see Microsoft set the prices back into proportion. They already backpedaled on a few of Xbox One’s hotly contested features, and it will be interesting to see if these price ranges are indeed accurate when Microsoft rolls out the update.

Via Eurogamer, Reddit

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/microsoft-to-raise-xbox-live-game-prices-by-converting-from-msp-to-real-money/44659.html#ixzz2dHeC5gJz

All this really makes me wonder if I should use my Bing points for gift cards for live now or not.  I just redeemed for 3 dollars on live today and am working toward my second 3 dollars as Bing no longer offers 5 dollars worth now.  Hell not only do you have a year to use the code, but you also only have a year to use the money.

I don't remember what I had in my account initially but after the update and after picking up content they said they added $3 to my account.

Not surprised, did anyone really think MS would do this out of the kindness of their hearts with no secret motive? They loved the point system since it allowed them to force buyers into having buy another chunck of points anytime they were down a few due to the way they utilized the point pricing system. With the real money change they weren't about to lose this advantage so this hike is just a way for them to continue doing what they were already just under the guise that they were doing it as a public service.

By the way, when did they start charging a damn tax on marketplace content? I don't use it much but had to buy some DLC today and noticed they were taxing it now.

I think that started with the change to currency.  Good thing for IL is I think they have a law on buying the cards that they wont get taxed, so if I buy a card I pay what the MSRP is and that is it then I get taxed on the games I buy on the 360.  That is why the points were the way to go.  No one had to deal with tax.  At least I don't remember hearing of it till after they converted everything.

I just did some browsing on the marketplace and all the prices look normal. i.e. $10/$15/$20.

That $3 price hike thing must be a Europe thing.

All this really makes me wonder if I should use my Bing points for gift cards for live now or not. I just redeemed for 3 dollars on live today and am working toward my second 3 dollars as Bing no longer offers 5 dollars worth now. Hell not only do you have a year to use the code, but you also only have a year to use the money.
Why not redeem for amazon gift cards and then buy ms points with those?

Last time I tried to do that Amazon was going to charge me an not use my gift cards.  I don't know if it was a glitch in the system or not.

Well that increase in cost for games hasn't played out yet. The 170 points I had at converstion became $2.50 and I could buy 2 Madden MUT packs that cost a total of 200 MS Points without having to get more. After getting an 800 point code last week, the all costume pack for UMvC 3 was still $6.74 or 540 points and I had $3.26 left over to buy 2 Madden Pro MUT packs at 120 points or $1.49 each.

No tax was charged on any of these transactions and I'm in MO. This was before Aug. 31 though so I need to research if anything has changed with a new MO law that was just passed that takes affect now.

Also if you do not put PayPal or a CC on your account the only time you can pay with what's in your MS wallet is when the cost is less than the amount of funding in there. Anything else the MS account will be greyed out until another form of payment is added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to assume so.   I have looked on Xbox.com and it doesn't say anything about how much I have, and the only way on the 360 that I have found is to start to buy something that is low enough in price so it is under the amount you have.  The price has to be lower than what you have on your account otherwise like MSUHitman said, you wont be able to see it because it will be wanting another form of payment.  

bread's done
Back