Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
^ disappointing. They need to allow preorders to be fully paid off whenever the customer wants, such as when the preorder is initially made. There would be a lot of people who would do that, especially those experienced with the MS store, and that would speed up things, marginally at least.

For any of you that picked up Halo last night at the MS store did the code for the pre-order armor come with it? I got my $25 GC but no armor code. I expected it to be in the box or on the receipt but can't find it anywhere.

[quote name='mentalward']For any of you that picked up Halo last night at the MS store did the code for the pre-order armor come with it? I got my $25 GC but no armor code. I expected it to be in the box or on the receipt but can't find it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

The codes for the Pulse Armor were on a sticker on the front of the box. I have pictures here.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Okay so I picked up my AC3 preorder today. Asked again about the $20 gift card class adn was told this. He seemed like he didn't know exactly, but at least I got this much. This is the South Coast store so it seems this is a YMMV deal, similar to the bing it on one, but most stores offered that and allowed it to be used on pts cards.

The class they have right now, "Getting to Know Your Windows Device" gets your some book. Forgot what its called, but he knew exactly what it was and said "Yeah, everyone who does the class gets the XXX book" That class was starting at 6pm, a few minutes after I came, but I didn't want to stick around for the chance I might get $20. Time is worth more, if I knew I'd get one, hell yeah I sit through it.

When I mentioned the gift card he said "Oh, that one starts at a later date, not sure when. But I think you have to have purchased a Windows 8 device for that one"

Not sure what he meant by that. Is it just a Windows 8 class? Or do you actually need to have boughten a Windows 8 device at the store? I would assume its jut implied you bought one since that would be sort of weird having people bring in their receipts.

Or I guess maybe they want you to bring in your Surface tablet to the class, thats how they know. I dont know. I want that $20 GC.

I'm still going to pick up Halo 4 there since With the bing it on and the $10 GC from AC3 it'll be $40 plus the $25 GC. Still not bad, but $20 with this deal would be even nicer

p.s. Anyone hear anything about the Halo 4 midnight events? Someone mentioned that they would be giving away $25 coupons or something in the bing it on thread. Maybe they meant they would give away prizes similar to the Dance Central 3 launch night where they had a raffle.[/QUOTE]

I got that book the 1st day of Win 8 launch at the Costa Mesa store, it's a nice book, but I enjoyed the presentation better as I had the guy to myself and got a bunch of my questions answered that have bugged me throughout the beta.

[quote name='Sway']The codes for the Pulse Armor were on a sticker on the front of the box. I have pictures here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. No sticker on my box. Hmmm...I guess I will call the store but I am sure they will be clueless.

[quote name='mentalward']Thanks for the reply. No sticker on my box. Hmmm...I guess I will call the store but I am sure they will be clueless.[/QUOTE]

Your store must have distributed the codes differently. They couldn't have somehow overlooked the pre-order codes for everyone, could they?

[quote name='Sway']Your store must have distributed the codes differently. They couldn't have somehow overlooked the pre-order codes for everyone, could they?[/QUOTE]

I called and they read the code to me over the phone. The guy asked if I was in the right line for the pre-orders last night. I was the 2nd in that line. All I can figure is that for the first few pre-orders they were pulling for the non pre-order stack that didn't have the stickers on them.

Hopefully they didn't shaft everyone on the codes. I guess there were only about 100 people there last night so it wouldn't be a total disaster if they had to read them over the phone but it will still be a pain in the ass for them.

[quote name='mentalward']I called and they read the code to me over the phone. The guy asked if I was in the right line for the pre-orders last night. I was the 2nd in that line. All I can figure is that for the first few pre-orders they were pulling for the non pre-order stack that didn't have the stickers on them.

Hopefully they didn't shaft everyone on the codes. I guess there were only about 100 people there last night so it wouldn't be a total disaster if they had to read them over the phone but it will still be a pain in the ass for them.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I was the Palo Alto store last night too. Pretty crazy when that guy and his wife both won controllers and that 2 people had their raffles drawn for the grandprize (250gb xbox +kinect) but had left early and they had to re-draw twice (what's the point of going to a midnight launch if you're not sticking around til the launch?)

Anyway, I didn't get the promo code for the pulse armor either. I'll have to call or swing by the store and complain.

[quote name='yuyak']Hey, I was the Palo Alto store last night too. Pretty crazy when that guy and his wife both won controllers and that 2 people had their raffles drawn for the grandprize (250gb xbox +kinect) but had left early and they had to re-draw twice (what's the point of going to a midnight launch if you're not sticking around til the launch?)

Anyway, I didn't get the promo code for the pulse armor either. I'll have to call or swing by the store and complain.[/QUOTE]

Good to know another CAG was there. Yeah the dude winning twice in a row was ridiculous.

When I called this morning and explained what happened they were happy to give me the code over the phone. I imagine they have had a bunch of calls today about it. Hope you are able to get the code. It shouldn't be a problem.

I picked up my copy of Halo 4 tonight. Pretty psyched that it's a legit gift card and not something that like the voucher that has an expiration. And yes, the pulse armor was on a strip of paper taped to the package.

I also spoke with the guy about these offers and if they will extend beyond holiday, and he explained that the minimum he expects MS to offer is a $10 gift card, which I'm glad to hear as well. And finally, I brought up the supposed $20 gift cards with Windows 8 training, and he said that was an incentive that was offered only for the first couple days.

Picking up my copy tomorrow, better get that code. I didn't even know it existed until a week ago as it wasn't mentioned on the preorder dummy box in store. In fact I want two codes after that crappy midnight launch.

Just to share some info to help out others, my code was on a sticker behind my $25 gift card instead of on my game case when I picked it up today.

For those of you in New Jersey, I can confirm the MS store in Garden State Plaza does not offer these classes.

Reason being is they only have a small stand in the mall, not a full blown store. All they have is Halo 4 and some surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extreme YMMV: my friend and I were just able to price match games we had bought at Microsoft Store less than 30 days ago to the current Black Friday price. I did Dance Central 3 (not preordered) and Forza Horizon (preordered). Was able to get the difference refunded to my credit card, including the Bing It On portion of it!

Still active at the Orlando store. Went in today to sit for a "Get to know Windows 8" class, got the $20 giftcard and reserved Gears of War: Judgement.

Then asked one of the 300 employees working if that $25 off $75 or more voucher was still active and he said yea, pulled out his phone, showed me some stuff on it and gave me the voucher, took less than 90 seconds

bread's done
Back