Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I was told stores are opening at 8am tomorrow and the $20 credit is for an HOUR long windows 8 class they will be doing throughout the day. They didn't tell me if this was a one day thing or will go for a few weeks like the bing challenge. An hour of windows talk for $20.... I think I got two of those classes in me.

I called my local MS store today and asked a question I don't think anyone has raised yet:

"If I pre-ordered a game with $10 from the bing voucher, could I switch it over to another game, or cancel it for something else?"

I put it on AC3, but I'm discovering that I care less and less about it, especially at MSRP when TRU and Kmart are selling it for $48-50 with coupons on Day 1 -- even with MS's promos. I'm thinking that I should leave it in the system and use it for a game that I'm more interested in down the road, like I would at GS.

I spoke to a rep, who arguably sounded pretty clueless, but she told me that I would have to come down to the store and speak to the manager to have it switched over or canceled and that it would probably be converted to a gift card -- I really didn't understand why this would be, but didn't question her. She also mentioned something about going online and have to cancel the pre-order that way, but this didn't add up either since I made the transaction in-store.

Either way, I'm fairly confident I can turn that $10 into something else -- maybe with some upcoming promos, it can become even better.

scored 2 more 1600 points cards today thanks to my wife wanting to go...so in total I got

Free = 4-1600 MS Points cards
$15 - Doom 3 BFG
$25 - Dance Central 3
$35 - Medal of Honor: Warfighter
$35 - Forza Horizon

Not bad at all...definitely didn't abuse the MS Points like some other people, but this should suffice a few season passes for Halo 4 and CoD

Tried to do this one last time tonight, but they closed the store early to set up for tomorrow's big launch(es). Oh well, it was a good run. Probably the best deal of 2012 so far!

Finally tested out the return process, and managed to use the credit from the return and todays bing card to get 50$ off a copy of Resident Evil 6 Archive edition, I traded my copy of plain old vanilla RE6 for 38$ at bookoff, so awesome free upgrade for me.

[quote name='stoned99']Finally tested out the return process, and managed to use the credit from the return and todays bing card to get 50$ off a copy of Resident Evil 6 Archive edition, I traded my copy of plain old vanilla RE6 for 38$ at bookoff, so awesome free upgrade for me.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, genius man. Good going.

[quote name='DCpinoy']I love this promotion and definitely one of my top deals of the year. Glad you guys are enjoying it as much as me.[/QUOTE]

Definitely! I know I never had this much fun at the freakin' Apple Store.

Definitely the best deal of the year so far for me. Second has to be the facebook Dance Central 3 deal where they gave out 400 pts per account. Got a few thousand free points using my various family member's accounts.

Final loot count (Myself going after work every day and with gf on weekend):
$25 Dance Central 3
$35 Forza Horizon
6 x 1600 pts cards
2 x 3 month codes
$5 usb charger thing
$5 Halo Anniversary

$10 gift card
$10 down on AC3 ($10 GC + 1600 pts with pickup) and Halo 4 ($25 GC with pickup)

Dad and gf got me:

6 x 1600 pts (a lot of these were spent on DC3 DLC though)
2 x 3 month codes

Total out of pocket cost: about $100 after tax and gas

I hope they do more of these type of deals to get people in the store in the future since I live so close to South Coast Plaza. I'll be there again in a heartbeat as the staff at that store was always enthusiastic about giving away free stuff.

Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.

I'm planning on stopping by again tonight, I'd like to learn some of the Win8 tricks as Win8 is about as intuitive as Brain Surgery, really hated on the new skype last night.

Yea that Surface tablet looks real nice. They did the class on tablet (connected to the large monitor). In order to get the free $99.99 music pass I think initially you had to purchase the Surface, but after some confusion they just said any purchase, so I bought a 1600 pts card and got he Xbox Music Pass, I see a few on ebay now lol

Hmmm I wonder if the Los Angeles store will be open later tonight and doing the class, if so I can do 30 mins after work for another 20 towards my Halo 4 :lol:

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Is it a gift card or voucher?

[quote name='Bioterror']Is it a gift card or voucher?[/QUOTE]

Plastic giftcard plus they gave me a big ass book on Windows 8

[quote name='spauldingfan']Anyone hear how long this ones going on for?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know as well. I'll stop by with my gf soon to do the win 8 class thing. Since its gift card it would end up making AC3 free for me if I can get two $20 GCs.

Not really interested in that Xbox music pass, but is that still going on or just Friday?

If you go to the store website, you can see a schedule. Unfortunately, the Store Events page was down when I checked. When I called my local store, they told me it looked as though it was running throughout November. If true, I definitely play on doing this right before the Halo launch.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']If you go to the store website, you can see a schedule. Unfortunately, the Store Events page was down when I checked. When I called my local store, they told me it looked as though it was running throughout November. If true, I definitely play on doing this right before the Halo launch.[/QUOTE]

Why not just do it asap? Do the gift cards expire?

So what do we need to do to get the GC? Do we need to register for a workshop?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Why not just do it asap? Do the gift cards expire?

So what do we need to do to get the GC? Do we need to register for a workshop?[/QUOTE]
Ehh, this place is a bit of a drive for me. Rather save on the gas, but you are right, sooner the better. The guy mentioned that you need to register. Not sure what the details are on that front.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Ehh, this place is a bit of a drive for me. Rather save on the gas, but you are right, sooner the better. The guy mentioned that you need to register. Not sure what the details are on that front.[/QUOTE]

You register on their site. Go to your local store and it has a schedule to register I think from what I've read on the microsoft store site.

For how long are these $20 cards good? Instead of being squeezed to buy points I'd hope to be able to save it for AssCreed 3.

[quote name='Xerxes']For how long are these $20 cards good? Instead of being squeezed to buy points I'd hope to be able to save it for AssCreed 3.[/QUOTE]

Me as well. Hoping I can use two, the one from Forza and then this one. If its a gift card it shouldn't expire. If its a coupon it will though.

Are there any signs or something advertising the $20 gift card for taking the class? I'd hate to get there, take the class, and not end up with the gift card :whistle2:s haha

I stopped by the microsoft store today and they didnt have any signs advertising the classes for the tablets and when i asked an employee all he did was shrug his shoulders and said he hasnt heard about anything involving $20 gift cards for the Tablet Training class.I did notice that they got rid of all the bing it on stations and replaced them with Surface Stations And they got rid? Or sold out of every game that wasnt an xbox exclusive game.

[quote name='MetalMegaGio']I stopped by the microsoft store today and they didnt have any signs advertising the classes for the tablets and when i asked an employee all he did was shrug his shoulders and said he hasnt heard about anything involving $20 gift cards for the Tablet Training class.I did notice that they got rid of all the bing it on stations and replaced them with Surface Stations And they got rid? Or sold out of every game that wasnt an xbox exclusive game.[/QUOTE]
where do u live

and i think its safe to assume most of the employees are clueless.
I called in about the bing challenge twice, and both times they said there were no vouchers and were giving away t shirts

Yeah, we need some more info on this for sure. I'm not going until I know its guaranteed. Hate for someone to see the thread and go down there and not get a GC.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']yeah cuz nothing is really confirmed atm
sitting thru that shit and not getting a gc would suuuuck[/QUOTE]

just updated the OP.

Just to add my $0.02: went this afternoon to the store in Orlando, FL. Store was very busy. Friend and I walked around for a minute then asked a lady that worked there about the class (not mentioning the gift card). One happened to be starting in a few minutes so we sat down in the theater they had set up (back of the store, middle area with big tv/display). Guy running the class made a last call announcement over the stores sound system, specifically mentioning getting the $20 for taking the class. Only around 5-6 people were there at the start but more trickled in over the 30 minutes it took; had maybe 20 people by the end and everyone got gift cards. They had a sign advertising they would be doing the class every half hour but when we went back maybe 45 minutes after ours ended we took a look and didn't see another one running. It was around 7:30 by that point and store was less crowded so that was probably why.

All in all, if they plan to do this the rest of the week I could see myself taking the class again for another gift card or two.

[quote name='JediJames2']Just to add my $0.02: went this afternoon to the store in Orlando, FL. Store was very busy. Friend and I walked around for a minute then asked a lady that worked there about the class (not mentioning the gift card). One happened to be starting in a few minutes so we sat down in the theater they had set up (back of the store, middle area with big tv/display). Guy running the class made a last call announcement over the stores sound system, specifically mentioning getting the $20 for taking the class. Only around 5-6 people were there at the start but more trickled in over the 30 minutes it took; had maybe 20 people by the end and everyone got gift cards. They had a sign advertising they would be doing the class every half hour but when we went back maybe 45 minutes after ours ended we took a look and didn't see another one running. It was around 7:30 by that point and store was less crowded so that was probably why.

All in all, if they plan to do this the rest of the week I could see myself taking the class again for another gift card or two.[/QUOTE]

Yea I might go back to Fl Mall today after work and get another card. Did you get that big ass book too lol

[quote name='MyPaper']Starting to think this gift card could have been just local promotion at that store. Nobody else seems to have a clue about this.[/QUOTE]

It may have been an optional promotion suggested by corporate but ultimately the decisione to hold the class and the value of the GC lies at the hands of the store managers. I haven't had a chance to go so I sent a friend to the store in the bridgewater mall in NJ, she said that they told her that she can only sign up for the class online and upon completion she would receive a $10 GC. If that is the case not sure if I am even going to bother, but thanks anyways OP.

Can't even register online. Seems like today is the last day. Guess I won't bother though it would have made a sweet deal sweeter. This one is just to uncertain.

Anyone know if South Coast Plaza is doing it?

Edit: I called them and they said that it's only if you bought a Windows 7 device after June 2nd.

[quote name='Xerxes']Can't even register online. Seems like today is the last day. Guess I won't bother though it would have made a sweet deal sweeter. This one is just to uncertain.[/QUOTE]

wait, online my store says they are going on for a while. Getting to know your windows device right?

[quote name='nhlducks35']Anyone know if South Coast Plaza is doing it?

Edit: I called them and they said that it's only if you bought a Windows 7 device after June 2nd.[/QUOTE]

How would they know if you bought one? I think they might have been confused about something else (the $15 upgrade offer is the date they told you, I dont know...) as that makes little to no sense. What about people who upgraded to win 8 or bought a win 8 device? Isn't that class/deal designed for them.

bread's done
Back