Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='icysoul556']Went into the Mall of America store this evening around 6pm and the "manager" at the checkout counter there told me that "as of 2 days ago, they cannot apply the Bing It On vouchers on points cards or subscription cards". Going back tomorrow in hopes of getting someone who is more helpful letting me do this.[/QUOTE]

I got the exact same response at the Mall of America today at about 4:30pm. I repeatedly asked the manager to show me where it said that the voucher could not be redeemed for a points card. He went through a few arguments, that the register doesn't allow it to be rung up anymore, that it can't be used on Microsoft Points cards because they're equivalent to cash, that they reserve the right to not sell me any product as soon as I walk in the store, and finally that "We're giving you $25 off anything in the store, just not Microsoft Points. That's pretty generous."

Not worth it, I left after about 5 minutes of polite back and forth.

[quote name='storl026']I got the exact same response at the Mall of America today at about 4:30pm. I repeatedly asked the manager to show me where it said that the voucher could not be redeemed for a points card. He went through a few arguments, that the register doesn't allow it to be rung up anymore, that it can't be used on Microsoft Points cards because they're equivalent to cash, that they reserve the right to not sell me any product as soon as I walk in the store, and finally that "We're giving you $25 off anything in the store, just not Microsoft Points. That's pretty generous."

Not worth it, I left after about 5 minutes of polite back and forth.[/QUOTE]
Is it every microsoft store, or just mall of america?

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Anybody have any recent experience with the oak brook il store?
Plan on taking my whole family 2m night and use all thier vouchers lol[/QUOTE]

You could call them and ask

[quote name='paperchu']I love this promo!

CnMjG.jpg
[/QUOTE]
mE 2 Just be careful that they don't remember you, and if they do ask for the manager and say that was my brother who was here.

I went back to the Stanford Mall store today and took the challenge again. The guy asked me if I had already taken it and I told him that I had once before. He just smiled and as soon as I was done he said "here is your card".

Had no trouble using it for a 1600 points card. The girl ringing me up was worried that I wasn't using all $25 of the GC. When I told her that I couldn't find anything worth $5 she said, "Yeah, but you could get a 3 month xbox live sub for $25". Clearly these guys are onto the game and they don't really care. Sad that the Mall of America folk are being jerks but I imagine they have a lot more customers than the Palo Alto store.

[quote name='nhlducks35']Called the South Coast Plaza one and they said they had no 1600 points :cry:[/QUOTE]

but they are doing the $25 gift card promo?

[quote name='Ecliastee']but they are doing the $25 gift card promo?[/QUOTE]

My dad and sister did it on Saturday, so I would assume they are still doing it.

[quote name='Ecliastee']but they are doing the $25 gift card promo?[/QUOTE]

All the stores should still be doing it until 10/25. Some stores are apparently running out of subscription or point cards though. Probably due to the repeat offenders. ;)

[quote name='nhlducks35']Called the South Coast Plaza one and they said they had no 1600 points :cry:[/QUOTE]

I called earlier, and some lady said they had like 20 so I went. When I got there, I asked and they said they were out and hadn't had any since like yesterday.

[quote name='WTFD4V1D']I called earlier, and some lady said they had like 20 so I went. When I got there, I asked and they said they were out and hadn't had any since like yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 vouchers, and was hoping to go there today to get some 1600 points and maybe another voucher. I asked, and they don't know when they will get a shipment in.

Maybe I'll just buy two 4000 point cards.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']Anybody have any recent experience with the oak brook il store?
Plan on taking my whole family 2m night and use all thier vouchers lol[/QUOTE]

That's my store!!! Nice to see another CAG close...I have had no problem with that store. Very friendly, and no issues what so ever. :)

Son picked up XCOM for PC. It's mislabeled in store, and is actually 50, so 25 after coupon. They were also promoting Skype credit, good for anyone calling abroad.

Not sure if this has been posted, but the 3 month and 1600 cards are now OOS at the South Coast Plaza store. For sure, no branded cards, nothing. None in the back, nothing. I asked two people there and they both gave the same response. That they were out the whole day. When I asked when they will be getting more they both said Friday. How convenient. I hope they were being genuine and that they are actually sold out of them. If that's the case they might get some more before it expires.

Not saying they wanted to put a stop to the free 1600 pts and 3 month cards, but it sure seems that way on the timing.

Had to settle for Halo anniversary for $7 after tax. Heads up though, they take the $25 after the tax. I'm not positive, but I dont think its supposed to work like that in CA. When I use a $ off purchase coupon I usually pay tax on only the amount of money that was in the transaction. So plan to pay tax on $25 if you buy anything that has tax on it.

As a result of the pts cards being gone the store was pretty much empty. Everytime I've gone over the last week I've had to wait to do the bing challenge. This time there was nobody doing it, empty. About 10 people walking around the store.

[quote name='Rollobobo']That's my store!!! Nice to see another CAG close...I have had no problem with that store. Very friendly, and no issues what so ever. :)[/QUOTE]
sweet thx for the response. cant wait to max out on some points and get BL2 season pass and mark of the ninja.

Still bunch of 1600MS Point cards at Century City Microsoft Store in Los Angeles. Note that they were all the Halo Reach branded cards.

The store was pretty empty. Pretty normal given its a Monday night, Presidential debate, LA traffic and all.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Not sure if this has been posted, but the 3 month and 1600 cards are now OOS at the South Coast Plaza store. For sure, no branded cards, nothing. None in the back, nothing. I asked two people there and they both gave the same response. That they were out the whole day. When I asked when they will be getting more they both said Friday. How convenient. I hope they were being genuine and that they are actually sold out of them. If that's the case they might get some more before it expires.

Not saying they wanted to put a stop to the free 1600 pts and 3 month cards, but it sure seems that way on the timing.

Had to settle for Halo anniversary for $7 after tax. Heads up though, they take the $25 after the tax. I'm not positive, but I dont think its supposed to work like that in CA. When I use a $ off purchase coupon I usually pay tax on only the amount of money that was in the transaction. So plan to pay tax on $25 if you buy anything that has tax on it.

As a result of the pts cards being gone the store was pretty much empty. Everytime I've gone over the last week I've had to wait to do the bing challenge. This time there was nobody doing it, empty. About 10 people walking around the store.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering what will happen when all the preorders show up tomorrow that require points cards :)

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Not sure if this has been posted, but the 3 month and 1600 cards are now OOS at the South Coast Plaza store. For sure, no branded cards, nothing. None in the back, nothing. I asked two people there and they both gave the same response. That they were out the whole day. When I asked when they will be getting more they both said Friday. How convenient. I hope they were being genuine and that they are actually sold out of them. If that's the case they might get some more before it expires.

As a result of the pts cards being gone the store was pretty much empty. Everytime I've gone over the last week I've had to wait to do the bing challenge. This time there was nobody doing it, empty. About 10 people walking around the store.[/QUOTE]

If that is the case, then I will buy a 4000 points card. However, keep in mind two games come out tomorrow (Forza/Medal of Honor) that had 1600 points as a pre order bonus, so I would assume they would get more in stock tomorrow.

I do hope they did save them as I have forza preordered. That is what I was hoping happened, but my cynical mind just wants to think they yanked them off the shelves while yelling "Enough is enough!"

Went back in and got my third points card in Scottsdale. All seemed smooth. I've done the Bing challenge twice, my friend once. Not sure if I want to go again. I do love stocking up on free pts.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I do hope they did save them as I have forza preordered. That is what I was hoping happened, but my cynical mind just wants to think they yanked them off the shelves while yelling "Enough is enough!"[/QUOTE]

The cards they use for the preorders are different than those that you can purchase in the store. So don't fear your 1600 card will be there tomorrow.

It looks like there is gonna be a huge change in the store's video game setup. A lot of the games they had just a few days ago are being removed so they can focus on only a handful of games. So if you're looking for selection go now before they change over the game section. The new planagram only has at most 12 games for 360 and 2 pc games.

[quote name='bzchanboy']The cards they use for the preorders are different than those that you can purchase in the store. So don't fear your 1600 card will be there tomorrow.

It looks like there is gonna be a huge change in the store's video game setup. A lot of the games they had just a few days ago are being removed so they can focus on only a handful of games. So if you're looking for selection go now before they change over the game section. The new planagram only has at most 12 games for 360 and 2 pc games.[/QUOTE]

Well, than I'm going with my earlier conspiracy theory then.

Our of curiosity, I did the online challenge. From Bing, I noticed that my university lists me among its graduates (previously I was not on the list) even if they did get the year wrong.

[quote name='spiritdragon101']Scooped up a couple of points cards in University Village, WA. Really friendly people =) gonna try and go the 24/25th for a $5 after glow controller lol[/QUOTE]

haha i did the same thing. wanted a wired controller as a backup controller. its actually pretty nice and worth the 7.50 i paid after tax for it. warning, the LEDs are really bright lol.

So the mall of america wont do point cards for these? Weak, I was planning on bussing it there this week. Guess not if I cant get that.

I'm trying to weigh my options when I go tomorrow to pick up Forza. I have an extra coupon so I plan to get another one and do two transactions. I did this before as the cashier suggested I do so when I mentioned I saved an extra coupon.

These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
HP large surge $25
razer mousepad $35

I doubt they have a lot of these, but all I found interesting searching from lowest price up to under $40. Anyone see something not listed on their site but in the store?

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']sweet thx for the response. cant wait to max out on some points and get BL2 season pass and mark of the ninja.[/QUOTE]

I really wish I knew about this yesterday since I had the day off, and I'll be heading to Oakbrook tonight. What was your experience last night?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I'm trying to weigh my options when I go tomorrow to pick up Forza. I have an extra coupon so I plan to get another one and do two transactions. I did this before as the cashier suggested I do so when I mentioned I saved an extra coupon.

These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
HP large surge $25
razer mousepad $35

I doubt they have a lot of these, but all I found interesting searching from lowest price up to under $40. Anyone see something not listed on their site but in the store?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if items can be returned / exchanged :)

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I'm trying to weigh my options when I go tomorrow to pick up Forza. I have an extra coupon so I plan to get another one and do two transactions. I did this before as the cashier suggested I do so when I mentioned I saved an extra coupon.

16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
HP large surge $25
razer mousepad $35

I doubt they have a lot of these, but all I found interesting searching from lowest price up to under $40. Anyone see something not listed on their site but in the store?[/QUOTE]

I see what you did der. :lol:

[quote name='Calinks']So the mall of america wont do point cards for these? Weak, I was planning on bussing it there this week. Guess not if I cant get that.[/QUOTE]

Try picking up the points card with a 4 pack of Enloop batteries. I did this yesterday, guy that rang me up said the card by itself wouldn't work, but since I was buying a physical item it would. Got the card and batteries for $6.

[quote name='kitsunisan']Try picking up the points card with a 4 pack of Enloop batteries. I did this yesterday, guy that rang me up said the card by itself wouldn't work, but since I was buying a physical item it would. Got the card and batteries for $6.[/QUOTE]

Weird, the guy I talked to a few days ago said it couldn't be used at all on subscription cards. Haven't made it back yet, but I think I will call tonight and see if they would let it slide like you did. Can always use more eneloops :D

Thanks OP!

Went into my local MS Store, which just opened 3 mos ago and which I only found out about yesterday.

Did the Bing Challenge -- I'm pretty sure the results I was picking were Google but it said I picked "Bing." I use both search engines so I can tell the difference based upon the fonts and results .... so, I think the challenge is rigged but who cares.

He then gave me the voucher and I acted like I didn't know what I wanted to spend it on. He asked what I was into. I said I'm an Xbox guy. First thing he say is "How about some MS points cards or extra controller if you need it." "I suppose, I suppose the MS points card will have to do."

Got my free 1600 MS points card (was gonna get 2 cards, but the CAGness swept over me and didn't want to shell out the 15 bucks), and the clerk even put the lonely points card in a nice MS Store bag for me! Sweet!!

[quote name='Lordd_G']Thanks OP!

Went into my local MS Store, which just opened 3 mos ago and which I only found out about yesterday.

Did the Bing Challenge -- I'm pretty sure the results I was picking were Google but it said I picked "Bing." I use both search engines so I can tell the difference based upon the fonts and results .... so, I think the challenge is rigged but who cares.

He then gave me the voucher and I acted like I didn't know what I wanted to spend it on. He asked what I was into. I said I'm an Xbox guy. First thing he say is "How about some MS points cards or extra controller if you need it." "I suppose, I suppose the MS points card will have to do."

Got my free 1600 MS points card (was gonna get 2 cards, but the CAGness swept over me and didn't want to shell out the 15 bucks), and the clerk even put the lonely points card in a nice MS Store bag for me! Sweet!![/QUOTE]

glad it all worked out for you. i really like those MS tote bags too, works well as a lunch bag.

[quote name='icysoul556']Weird, the guy I talked to a few days ago said it couldn't be used at all on subscription cards. Haven't made it back yet, but I think I will call tonight and see if they would let it slide like you did. Can always use more eneloops :D[/QUOTE]

I guess it's all on who you deal with. I just checked my receipt, the guy's name was Brady, hopefully you can find him there.

16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
HP large surge $25
razer mousepad $35

if you dont mind, I'm going to throw this up in the OP.

[quote name='samejgink']I really wish I knew about this yesterday since I had the day off, and I'll be heading to Oakbrook tonight. What was your experience last night?[/QUOTE]
I went there this morning. The staff is nice but they wont bend the rules. I went there because my friend picked up a ticket from a co-worker. I noticed that the staff was different so I was able to redo the challege. I picked up another silver limited ed controller and a 1600 msp. I think most places are cracking down on cards. The one in Oakbrook is still letting you get 1600 msp.

[quote name='DCpinoy']glad it all worked out for you. i really like those MS tote bags too, works well as a lunch bag.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

That reminds me: I wonder if I bring those MS tote bags to the supermarket and use them as a grocery bag, will I get $.05 off my grocery order?!?!:whistle2:k

CAGness to the extreme baby!!

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Well, than I'm going with my earlier conspiracy theory then.[/QUOTE]
They took all the points and took them to the back until the "bing it on" is over. The manager must have noticed that you were costing them 40$ worth of points everyday and decided to end it. If you notice most places just say you can no longer use it on points, its just bs I was able to get points today from mine.

[quote name='Lordd_G']Thanks OP!

Got my free 1600 MS points card (was gonna get 2 cards, but the CAGness swept over me and didn't want to shell out the 15 bucks), and the clerk even put the lonely points card in a nice MS Store bag for me! Sweet!![/QUOTE]
Yeah, me too. First time I specifically picked all Google so I could be like "Ha-ha" but then it wound up being all Bing. I'm 95% sure I was picking Google results.

PSA: The South Coast store put out a small number of points cards, Dance Central branded. They rearranged the store so they are on the far right side of the game section. The employee that was there said that they were putting out a few each day until they get more in as they took down all the plain 1600 pts cards for the preorder promos this week as we suspected. But they are still selling the branded cards, just a small stack each day though. I doubt any are still there as of now, this was about an hour ago they had maybe 25-30 cards left.

I can sort of confirm what he said since I picked up my Forza preorder. You have to ask about the preorder bonuses since most of the employees are new and dont know about it. A manager has to get a stack of rubber banded pts cards, the plain 1600 ones same one you can buy at retail, but these are already scanned and activated along with the gift card.

So $35 + tax for Forza Horizon 1600 pts and $10 gift card.

I also brought my Dad with me this time since I had the day off and another pts card. I then used the last coupon I was saving in case they stopped giving out the coupons before Forza came out.

So my totals so far. (granted these are with my gf and Dad coming with me twice. I bought them lunch it was fine.)

9 x 1600 pts (2 cost $5 with the $10 preorder)
2 x 3 month
Halo Anniversary $5+tax
Forza Horizon $35+tax
$10 gift card.

$58ish after tax so far.

Planning on using that gift card on ACIII which I already put $10 down with another coupon. So $40 for that with 1600 pts and $10 GC. Use that on Halo 4 so $40 for that as well. Then I got the $25 GC to get something I guess.

Also, is there a different version of Forza for preorders like a first run LE or something? I saw someone buying a version that looked like it had some plastic sleeve on it, but it looked like Forza Horizon. I asked, but the cashier said that the LE is exclusive to gamestop. I dont know since I never looked into it before preordering. I'm guessing that was a collectors edition or something that costs more.

Also Also, that list I posted, they said they had most of those, but were sold out because of the Bing challenge. Most people just ask what's around $25 and they show them. All the 16gb flash sticks were gone,

[quote name='Ender Thy Wrath']I went there this morning. The staff is nice but they wont bend the rules. I went there because my friend picked up a ticket from a co-worker. I noticed that the staff was different so I was able to redo the challege. I picked up another silver limited ed controller and a 1600 msp. I think most places are cracking down on cards. The one in Oakbrook is still letting you get 1600 msp.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the intel. Was supply an issue? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to bother dragging a few people with me (Its a Western 'Burb Excursion kinda night!).

Also, were you able to combine the cards together or did they have to be separate purchases?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']PSA: The South Coast store put out a small number of points cards, Dance Central branded. They rearranged the store so they are on the far right side of the game section. The employee that was there said that they were putting out a few each day until they get more in as they took down all the plain 1600 pts cards for the preorder promos this week as we suspected. But they are still selling the branded cards, just a small stack each day though. I doubt any are still there as of now, this was about an hour ago they had maybe 25-30 cards left.

I can sort of confirm what he said since I picked up my Forza preorder. You have to ask about the preorder bonuses since most of the employees are new and dont know about it. A manager has to get a stack of rubber banded pts cards, the plain 1600 ones same one you can buy at retail, but these are already scanned and activated along with the gift card.

So $35 + tax for Forza Horizon 1600 pts and $10 gift card.

I also brought my Dad with me this time since I had the day off and another pts card. I then used the last coupon I was saving in case they stopped giving out the coupons before Forza came out.

So my totals so far. (granted these are with my gf and Dad coming with me twice. I bought them lunch it was fine.)

9 x 1600 pts (2 cost $5 with the $10 preorder)
2 x 3 month
Halo Anniversary $5+tax
Forza Horizon $35+tax
$10 gift card.

$58ish after tax so far.

Planning on using that gift card on ACIII which I already put $10 down with another coupon. So $40 for that with 1600 pts and $10 GC. Use that on Halo 4 so $40 for that as well. Then I got the $25 GC to get something I guess.

Also, is there a different version of Forza for preorders like a first run LE or something? I saw someone buying a version that looked like it had some plastic sleeve on it, but it looked like Forza Horizon. I asked, but the cashier said that the LE is exclusive to gamestop. I dont know since I never looked into it before preordering. I'm guessing that was a collectors edition or something that costs more.

Also Also, that list I posted, they said they had most of those, but were sold out because of the Bing challenge. Most people just ask what's around $25 and they show them. All the 16gb flash sticks were gone,

[quote name='stoned99']Did Forza come with any preorder DLC ?[/QUOTE]

no, just the plain game and no code or anything inside. I'll admit I haevn't investigate the game before release except a few reviews, but I did expect an online pass or something. Just a piece of paper about some sweepstakes, no manual, nothing.

bread's done
Back