Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='V4oLDbOY']You can only do it once a day, and after going two days in a row the grey shirts doing it recognized me and my gf. Might be able to get away with it, but honestly its not very crowded at the store and only a few people even seem to know about this for some reason so probably easy for them to recognize you.

Forza Horizon comes out October 23rd so you can use it on that. The others you cant.

But you can do this for a preorder on ACIII or other games. There is a thread on here listing all the ones that get the preorder.

$20 1600 pts + $10 preorder - $25 bing it on = $5.

Pick up game and get $10 GC and 1600 pts

so for $55 you can get 3200 pts and a $10 GC.
For Halo 4 it would be $55 for 1600 pts and $25 GC

I wish I didn't have to work at my lab so late this week. I would have gone with my gf and just gotten a two free 3 month XBL cards each day. I dont know when I can go back so I had to save one of my bing it on coupons so I can make sure to have one on Oct 23rd to use on my Forza Horizon preorder. Just in case they stop giving them out before then.[/QUOTE]

Possible correction.

The terms of the preorder (back of preorder box), actually specifies coupons, gift cards cannot be used for final payment. I couldn't say for sure if the 25$ falls into those categories, but it would seem to.

I'm looking at the points as payment towards the season pass :)

[quote name='stoned99']Possible correction.

The terms of the preorder (back of preorder box), actually specifies coupons, gift cards cannot be used for final payment. I couldn't say for sure if the 25$ falls into those categories, but it would seem to.

I'm looking at the points as payment towards the season pass :)[/QUOTE]

Well I was told I could use it on my forza horizon preorder directly form an employee so if they give me any shit I'll just bitch and reference that as I saved my coupon and didn't use it.

Can anyone confirm that they are giving out the cards at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto? I am thinking about heading over there at lunch but would hate to waste a trip.

I tried the windows phone challenge about a month ago at the Valley Faire mall but the cheap bastards didn't give me a gift card for my trouble.

When they put in a MS store in walking distance from work I knew it would come in handy. Previously the closest was 4 hours away. I picked up Doom BFG for PC. FYI they have huge signs up everywhere (in the Austin store) advertising the $25 coupon deal. It's no secret... Thanks OP!

[quote name='mentalward']Can anyone confirm that they are giving out the cards at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto? I am thinking about heading over there at lunch but would hate to waste a trip.

I tried the windows phone challenge about a month ago at the Valley Faire mall but the cheap bastards didn't give me a gift card for my trouble.[/QUOTE]

Someone said they did it at that store in the thread somewhere I think.

[quote name='mentalward']Can anyone confirm that they are giving out the cards at the Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto? I am thinking about heading over there at lunch but would hate to waste a trip.

I tried the windows phone challenge about a month ago at the Valley Faire mall but the cheap bastards didn't give me a gift card for my trouble.[/QUOTE]

Yes they have been giving away the cards.

Valley Fair can be stingy at times, but you have to know that there was a lot and I mean a lot of people that took that phone challenge. Stanford doesn't have the same amount of traffic and is a slower store.

Thanks V4oLDbOY and bzchanboy. Yeah I was a little late on the phone challenge. Living in SF I don't get to Valley Faire that often but working in Palo Alto makes the Stanford Mall run doable over lunch. Didn't even know they had a store there until I read this thread. Thanks OP.

[quote name='dios']Anyone know if Fashion Valley in San Diego is participating in this?[/QUOTE]

Most definitely they are, they were for all of the other promo's that they've done at the stores.

Went to the Oakbrook Center store, and MAN is that place depressing! Anyways, did the challenge, google won. The weird thing is nobody approached me while I was doing the challenge. I had to ask someone for the $25 coupon. I felt a little dirty afterwards.

[quote name='bzchanboy']Most definitely they are, they were for all of the other promo's that they've done at the stores.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Will be awesome to pick up Dance Central 3 for just 25$ plus tax.

Come on Houston CAGs. Go to the galleria and tell me if this is a thing.

I stay the hell out of malls if possible but $25. :p

I guess others have already responded, but yes, they are doing it there. I've gotten 4 cards there already and they're the ones that told me I could do this every day if I wanted to. BUT, I had to ask "hey can you tell me about this Bing it on thing?" each time; they have like a 3:1 ratio of employee to customer, but they weren't actively promoting it and mostly just standing around or playing kinect.

[quote name='yuyak']I guess others have already responded, but yes, they are doing it there. I've gotten 4 cards there already and they're the ones that told me I could do this every day if I wanted to. BUT, I had to ask "hey can you tell me about this Bing it on thing?" each time; they have like a 3:1 ratio of employee to customer, but they weren't actively promoting it and mostly just standing around or playing kinect.[/QUOTE]

Just returned from the Stanford store. Pretty sure I was the only customer in there so I had no trouble picking one of the couple dozen employees to help me. (I think there was a training session going on so probably more workers were there than usual)

They have the challenge going on a machine up front so it is easy to jump right in. Getting the card was no problem. Doing my Halo pre-order was pretty funny though. The guy helping me handed me his tablet and asked me to input my info. I tried using my fingers on the touch screen but that just didn't work and I had to tap repeatedly with the stylus to get it to register the click. Overall it was a very clumsy method. I told the guy that I hoped the Surface was going to be a better solution for them. He said they aren't really supposed to complain about their equipment but everyone was looking forward to having a new point of sale system once Surface hits. I almost suggested that in the mean time he could go next door to the Apple store and borrow a couple of iPads but I didn't want to be a dick.

I was told I could use only one and I couldn't use it for the pre-order.

It was literally an Apple store if Microsoft ran it. Tons of employees with few people to help.
The door in the front didn't close properly, the tablets didn't want to scan the items and the receipt printed on the other side of the store.

Unless they run another free $$$ promo I don't think I'll be visiting again.
BB is where its at, $20 GC for anything is better than MSP, plus I get RZ points and the price match.

[quote name='mentalward']Just returned from the Stanford store. Pretty sure I was the only customer in there so I had no trouble picking one of the couple dozen employees to help me. (I think there was a training session going on so probably more workers were there than usual)

They have the challenge going on a machine up front so it is easy to jump right in. Getting the card was no problem. Doing my Halo pre-order was pretty funny though. The guy helping me handed me his tablet and asked me to input my info. I tried using my fingers on the touch screen but that just didn't work and I had to tap repeatedly with the stylus to get it to register the click. Overall it was a very clumsy method. I told the guy that I hoped the Surface was going to be a better solution for them. He said they aren't really supposed to complain about their equipment but everyone was looking forward to having a new point of sale system once Surface hits. I almost suggested that in the mean time he could go next door to the Apple store and borrow a couple of iPads but I didn't want to be a dick.[/QUOTE]

I think I might just go chance it. Get the $25 card, preorder Halo 4 for $40 and get a $25 card back. That's kind of slick. Like a free Halo 4 Season Pass.

[quote name='yuyak']I guess others have already responded, but yes, they are doing it there. I've gotten 4 cards there already and they're the ones that told me I could do this every day if I wanted to. BUT, I had to ask "hey can you tell me about this Bing it on thing?" each time; they have like a 3:1 ratio of employee to customer, but they weren't actively promoting it and mostly just standing around or playing kinect.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shadowrage']I was told I could use only one and I couldn't use it for the pre-order.

It was literally an Apple store if Microsoft ran it. Tons of employees with few people to help.
The door in the front didn't close properly, the tablets didn't want to scan the items and the receipt printed on the other side of the store.

Unless they run another free $$$ promo I don't think I'll be visiting again.
BB is where its at, $20 GC for anything is better than MSP, plus I get RZ points and the price match.[/QUOTE]

I had no problem using it on a pre-order. Like others have said though you can only put $10 toward a pre-order. So you will lose the other $15 if you don't buy something at the same time. 1600 MS points is probably your best bet.

[quote name='stoned99']Possible correction.

I'm looking at the points as payment towards the season pass :)[/QUOTE]

*Offer valid from September 4, 2012 through close of business on November 19, 2012. Other conditions with respect to preorder may apply. Gift card (in-store purchases) or Promo Code (online purchases) and 1600 Xbox Live points will be issued upon redemption of preordered product and eligibility will be verified with receipt upon redemption. No photocopies or facsimiles of receipt will be accepted. Neither Gift Card nor Promo Code may be used toward the purchase of preordered product and neither may be transferred or redeemed for cash. Other conditions on use of gift card may apply. Limit one per customer.

I'm pretty sure you can use the $25 gift card to purchase it. Just can't use the $10 gift card you get with purchasing the game to get the game. Also the Microsoft Store in Houston Texas Galleria is handing out the cards as well.

Another question is what limits are on the number of preorders for a single item. My Sons friends want me to pick up an extra 3 copies. I have already placed 2 orders on 1 email, and last night I wised up and used a different email, but I'm wondering if that was necessary. I thought I saw language online that you were limited to 5 copies for each promotion. The language above of Limit one per customer has me concerned.

Went again today with my gf. Got two 3 month XBL gold cards. Realized I should have just gotten two 1600 MSP and sold them on here, then bought a 12 month code off here as well. They retail at $25 but I doubt I'll get over $15 for them on here since 12 month codes seem to be cheap. Just wanted some free XBL gold as mine expired about a week ago.

Anyways. So far a pretty good haul. 3 x 1600 pts and 2 x 3 month live cards. I still got two coupons to use with Forza. I should have used the other one my gf got the day she did it since if you're going into the store that day to buy something you might as well get another coupon. I was just afraid they'd stop giving them out before Forza came out. I doubt it, seems like they'll do this until it expires.

This is awesome. Picked up a voucher in case I decide to get Forza Horizon. Too bad NFS most wanted and assassin's creed 3 come out after the coupon expires. May get another voucher for Dishonored but have doubts about the game.

Got 25$ off my Dance Central 3. Plus the bonus stuff from the pre-order promo microsoft has been offering. Awesome deal, thanks op.

[quote name='dios']Got 25$ off my Dance Central 3. Plus the bonus stuff from the pre-order promo microsoft has been offering. Awesome deal, thanks op.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, did you use another voucher when you preordered it to knock it off by a few bucks?

[quote name='dios']Got 25$ off my Dance Central 3. Plus the bonus stuff from the pre-order promo microsoft has been offering. Awesome deal, thanks op.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually pre-order DC3 or did you mean they are still giving out pre-order bonuses in store for games that were originally on the list but are no longer pre-orders?

They are given an allotted amount of the gc's and 1600 points so it could be possible that they hadn't sold a lot of the pre-orders and were just being nice to customers that bought it.

Gonna check out today's madness at the Valley Fair store. Today from 3-7 they are gonna have a raffle drawing every 15 minutes.

So are you guys able to do it twice in one trip or do you have to come back another day? I am going to take the bus down there which is somewhat o a ordeal but I might have to do it twice next week as this is just a great deal.

I was able to do it twice in one day. Did it right when I got to the mall, walked around and shopped then did it again before I left.

[quote name='Wario64']Just curious, did you use another voucher when you preordered it to knock it off by a few bucks?[/QUOTE]

I did pre order the game a week before it came out.

I paid the 10$ to pre order it in store and picked it up last night and used the bing it on 25$ gift card to knock off my total purchase.

They still gave me my 10$ gift card and 1600 microsoft point card as part of the pre order promo.

So for a $60 game you can preorder it with one voucher that'll take $10 off and another when you pick it up for $25 more off (assuming it's out before the voucher expires) = $25 plus tax for a $60 game?

Never mind, can't combine two vouchers for one game

[quote name='DCpinoy']I was able to do it twice in one day. Did it right when I got to the mall, walked around and shopped then did it again before I left.[/QUOTE]
Well I might have to pull this one!

Pre-ordered Halo 4 + 1600MS points

I think I may go back for another coupon and pre-order BLOPS2 another day.

Cancelling my Amazon pre-orders. Miss the days of $20 credits...what's this Amazon video credit and wallpaper garbage. haha

The salesperson was telling me that the same people were coming in every day. LOL Any of you CAGers frequenting the Century City Mall in West Los Angeles?

[quote name='henhowc']Pre-ordered Halo 4 + 1600MS points

I think I may go back for another coupon and pre-order BLOPS2 another day.

Cancelling my Amazon pre-orders. Miss the days of $20 credits...what's this Amazon video credit and wallpaper garbage. haha

The salesperson was telling me that the same people were coming in every day. LOL Any of you CAGers frequenting the Century City Mall in West Los Angeles?[/QUOTE]

Indeed I do ;), made out like a bandit at the dance central launch. I've probably gone 6 times now

[quote name='spauldingfan']Indeed I do ;), made out like a bandit at the dance central launch. I've probably gone 6 times now[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic. Have you been to any of their Midnight launches? The salespeople were trying to convince me come to their Halo 4 one but they couldn't tell me any specifics outside of "come it will be fun!" -_-

Sweet. I got a Black Ops 2 Preorder that will come with 1600MSPTs and a $10 girt card, and a 1600 point card for $5. I'm going to try to do the same with a Halo 4 preorder this week.

[quote name='henhowc']Slightly off topic. Have you been to any of their Midnight launches? The salespeople were trying to convince me come to their Halo 4 one but they couldn't tell me any specifics outside of "come it will be fun!" -_-[/QUOTE]
I think that they dress the store up in Halo stuff and customers will be playing Halo 4 (and probably Kinect) until 10PM when they can hand the game out.

[quote name='henhowc']Slightly off topic. Have you been to any of their Midnight launches? The salespeople were trying to convince me come to their Halo 4 one but they couldn't tell me any specifics outside of "come it will be fun!" -_-[/QUOTE]
yes, they are. Last year for the midnight releases they had pizza, soda, energy drinks, raffles all night ( I won a Xbox Kinect bundle) , tournaments depending on the game, demos, and since we are spoiled in la we had some signing events ( gears of war voice actors and infinity ward development team) Halo will probably be a good turn out, dance central was like fifteen people. Most people now just show up to score free swag and GC s .

[quote name='spauldingfan']yes, they are. Last year for the midnight releases they had pizza, soda, energy drinks, raffles all night ( I won a Xbox Kinect bundle) , tournaments depending on the game, demos, and since we are spoiled in la we had some signing events ( gears of war voice actors and infinity ward development team) Halo will probably be a good turn out, dance central was like fifteen people. Most people now just show up to score free swag and GC s .[/QUOTE]

Went to the Halo Anniversary launch party last year and it was pretty fun. Free pizza, soda, energy drinks, etc as well as a Halo Tournament. The attendance was relatively low (50ish people?) so the odds of winning one of the many raffles seemed good - although I didn't win any :( They were also handing out prescreening movie tickets too. I had a good time and I'll probably go again for Halo 4 launch party.

BTW, I've ended up with more 1600pts through this and the preorders. Is it possible to list in on the CAG marketplace? I haven't used the market place much and can't seem to figure out how to list points (doesn't show up via the search feature). TIA.

Thanks for the impressions guys. I may just in fact check it out. Do you have to stay the entire time to take part in the raffles?

[quote name='yuyak']
BTW, I've ended up with more 1600pts through this and the preorders. Is it possible to list in on the CAG marketplace? I haven't used the market place much and can't seem to figure out how to list points (doesn't show up via the search feature). TIA.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can list points (someone create me if I'm wrong). When I've sold points in the past I just created a thread in the Trading Forum and listed the points for sale.

[quote name='henhowc']Thanks for the impressions guys. I may just in fact check it out. Do you have to stay the entire time to take part in the raffles?

I don't think you can list points (someone create me if I'm wrong). When I've sold points in the past I just created a thread in the Trading Forum and listed the points for sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The launch party I went to they had a raffle every 15min or so. If no one claimed it when it was called, they just called a different number.

Did this today in Costa Mesa. Just got Microsoft Points because we wanted nothing else. Good to use on their weekly sales I guess.

They ran out of 1600pts and 3 month live today, had to settle for Ink, battery's and Mortal Kombat Komplete. Earlier I got the wireless steering wheel and points. Went twice today :)

[quote name='stoned99']They ran out of 1600pts and 3 month live today, had to settle for Ink, battery's and Mortal Kombat Komplete. Earlier I got the wireless steering wheel and points. Went twice today :)[/QUOTE]

Did you try asking them to see if they had more in the back? I had to do this at my local MS store. Also...sometimes people miss the Halo Reach, Dance Central themed point cards.

bread's done
Back