Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 3 more 1600 pts cards with my gf today. The cashier now knows us since we've come back four times now. He just says come back tomorrow. I had saved a card to use with my Forza preorder, but since you can get one when you pick it up that day my saving was pointless. Luckily the cashier said that you can use as many as you want as long as its separate transactions so I used my gf's coupon, mine, and the one I saved to get 3 cards.

So if they run out of 1600 pts save your coupon, come back the next day and get another one then buy two 1600 pts, one with each coupon.

[quote name='nas6034']What is there to buy for $25 or less besides 1600pts and 3month xbl? Anything else worth it?[/QUOTE]

Some people have gotten Halo Anniversay or Doom 3 BFG PC for $5 after coupon.

One game I wanted was Witcher 2 for $5 after coupon, but they didn't have any copies at the store I was at. Its $30 online.

I got a set of kontrol freak CQC (things that go on top of the controller sticks). They're allright and were intriguing since the top of my sticks have gotten worn down a bit. They're $10. I got them for $5 with 1600 pts. I'd say worth the $5 so far I guess. They're the shorter ones they sell, I dont like the taller ones they had.

Play and Charge kit is $20, but you can get these for under $10 online easily.

Not sure if these are sold in store as I didn't check, but there are a number of games for $20 listed online. Alan Wake, Borderlands, Portal 2 PC, Rayman origins, FF13-2. But again these can be had for cheaper online, but for free might be worth using the coupon on if they have them at the store.

16gb usb stick for $20-$25

Cases for $25 and less if you have a windows phone.

Keyboards and mice for $20-$30.

Actually a lot of stuff, that is if its sold in store as I'm just referencing their site and sorting by lowest price.

In terms of value, the 1600 pts cards seem to be the best. Or 3 month cards for free live gold.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Got 3 more 1600 pts cards with my gf today. The cashier now knows us since we've come back four times now. He just says come back tomorrow. I had saved a card to use with my Forza preorder, but since you can get one when you pick it up that day my saving was pointless. Luckily the cashier said that you can use as many as you want as long as its separate transactions so I used my gf's coupon, mine, and the one I saved to get 3 cards.

So if they run out of 1600 pts save your coupon, come back the next day and get another one then buy two 1600 pts, one with each coupon.[/QUOTE]
I went there yesterday to pick up a silver controller for 28 bucks. I wonder if I can keep going with my friend everyday. The nearest Ms store is around 30 mins from my house. Has anyone in IL gone multiple times? My friend works by there I may have her do it for everytime she gets off from work.

I just tried to do it again at my local store in IL. Employees recognized me and said I'd only get a T-shirt if I wanted to do it again. They seem to be cracking down, at this store at least. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

[quote name='SplinteredGore']I've never been to the MS store. To take this challenge do you go onto a computer there? I read that you need a smartphone to do it.[/QUOTE]
They'll take you to one of the computers there. No need for a smartphone.

[quote name='SplinteredGore']I've never been to the MS store. To take this challenge do you go onto a computer there? I read that you need a smartphone to do it.[/QUOTE]

This is different than the Windows Phone challenge. They just have computers setup for you to use. There will probably be a greeter at the door who will ask you if you've taken the challenge yet.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I just tried to do it again at my local store in IL. Employees recognized me and said I'd only get a T-shirt if I wanted to do it again. They seem to be cracking down, at this store at least. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.[/QUOTE]
Boo, I was going to send my brother again since he works in the mall. I'm going today anyway but it would have been nice to stock up on points.

Went to the Apple ...err ... I mean Microsoft store today. I was invited to do the Bing challenge but no $25 voucher. I asked about it 2-3 minutes later and they said they stopped giving it out but for today they will give $25 at checkout. I asked is there a minimum purchase and they said $25. Way to go promotions team at MSFT. BTW this was at the MS store out at Walt Whitman in Long Island, New York.

Went again to the South Coast Plaza one.

Went yesterday to get X-COM (40 after coupon) and then saw they are promoting the in-store pre-order deals like on their website. So I asked about pre-ordering Forza for Tuesday. So I assume they have set-aside 1600 point cards for that.

He scanned one coupon out of his pocket to cancel out the $10 cost, then told me to go over to the Bing challenge, get another one, and bring it back Tuesday to take another 25 off the game when I pickup. He seemed to think it would work, so I hope he's right. I'm a little concerned it won't work twice, even if it is technically 2 separate transactions.

That would make it 60-10-25=$25 for the game, the 1600 point cards, and another 10 dollar gift card.

I have an extra one that I will plan to go down to the San Diego store and pick up Borderlands 2.

Stopped by the Salem, NH store today. They didn't have anyone manning the Bing Challenge area at all. The 3 stands out front are still there, but no one with a tablet to let you do the challenge. I didn't ask if they were still doing it or not, but every other time I've been by previously they've had 2 employees doing the challenge.

[quote name='nas6034']Went to the Apple ...err ... I mean Microsoft store today. I was invited to do the Bing challenge but no $25 voucher. I asked about it 2-3 minutes later and they said they stopped giving it out but for today they will give $25 at checkout. I asked is there a minimum purchase and they said $25. Way to go promotions team at MSFT. BTW this was at the MS store out at Walt Whitman in Long Island, New York.[/QUOTE]

Boyfriend & I were there at opening today and they were out of vouchers then. They told us to just tell the cashier that we did the challenge and they took care of us. Each of us got 1600 pt cards, no $25 minimum purchase required.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I just tried to do it again at my local store in IL. Employees recognized me and said I'd only get a T-shirt if I wanted to do it again. They seem to be cracking down, at this store at least. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for saving me the trip. I'll have my friend pick one up for me. I figured they would not have let me again.

[quote name='Ender Thy Wrath']Thanks for saving me the trip. I'll have my friend pick one up for me. I figured they would not have let me again.[/QUOTE]
Glad I could help. I managed to pull it off twice, but the staff was different between the 2 days, so I think I may have just gotten lucky. Ah well, in the end I got myself XCOM at a discount along with 2x 1600 point cards for dirt cheap, so I really can't complain.

[quote name='k04sm02']Went again to the South Coast Plaza one.

Went yesterday to get X-COM (40 after coupon) and then saw they are promoting the in-store pre-order deals like on their website. So I asked about pre-ordering Forza for Tuesday. So I assume they have set-aside 1600 point cards for that.

He scanned one coupon out of his pocket to cancel out the $10 cost, then told me to go over to the Bing challenge, get another one, and bring it back Tuesday to take another 25 off the game when I pickup. He seemed to think it would work, so I hope he's right. I'm a little concerned it won't work twice, even if it is technically 2 separate transactions.

That would make it 60-10-25=$25 for the game, the 1600 point cards, and another 10 dollar gift card.

I have an extra one that I will plan to go down to the San Diego store and pick up Borderlands 2.[/QUOTE]

A bit off.

$60 for game and $20 for 1600 pts. Then -$25 bing it on on both.
So now you're down to $55 for the game and 1600 pts. -$25 on pick up tuesday, down to $30 for the game, $10 GC and 2 x 1600 pts cards.

That is if they allow us to use the coupon on the preorder. I was told it was fine, but we all know how YMMV these things are when the terms of the deals state otherwise. I believe the preorder terms or the coupon terms say that it cant be combined with any promotion. But people did do this with Dance Central 3 without much issue.

To be safe I did not preorder Forza with a bing coupon. I bet it will work fine, but I did not want to risk it so I just put the $10 preorder since the coupon does show on the transaction for the preorder. So for me it will be $35 for Forza, $10 GC and only one 1600 pts code. Just didn't want to risk not getting Forza without a discount. Even Forza for $35 is a steal frankly.

I'm a bit worried since someone mentioned the South Coast store running out of 1600 pts. I doubt they set some aside for the promotion, but I do bet they have a ton of them in the back. Just wanted to limit how many free ones they give out each day since it seems everyone who does the bing it on challenge is getting them. As others have mentioned, make sure to check for the branded 1600 pts cards, dance central, etc. I hope they get more on the shelves by tuesday, but I'll go early to make sure I can get one.

[quote name='SplinteredGore']So how many times have you guys done this? I went today and got $40 worth of points.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like multiple times depending on the store. Plus people appear to be going with friends and family and getting multiple coupons in one visit. Personally I've only gone once. Pre-ordered Halo 4 + 1600MS pts. Plan on going back before 10/25 to pre-order blops 2 and get another 1600 pts.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']A bit off.

$60 for game and $20 for 1600 pts. Then -$25 bing it on on both.
So now you're down to $55 for the game and 1600 pts. -$25 on pick up tuesday, down to $30 for the game, $10 GC and 2 x 1600 pts cards.

That is if they allow us to use the coupon on the preorder. I was told it was fine, but we all know how YMMV these things are when the terms of the deals state otherwise. I believe the preorder terms or the coupon terms say that it cant be combined with any promotion. But people did do this with Dance Central 3 without much issue.

To be safe I did not preorder Forza with a bing coupon. I bet it will work fine, but I did not want to risk it so I just put the $10 preorder since the coupon does show on the transaction for the preorder. So for me it will be $35 for Forza, $10 GC and only one 1600 pts code. Just didn't want to risk not getting Forza without a discount. Even Forza for $35 is a steal frankly.

I'm a bit worried since someone mentioned the South Coast store running out of 1600 pts. I doubt they set some aside for the promotion, but I do bet they have a ton of them in the back. Just wanted to limit how many free ones they give out each day since it seems everyone who does the bing it on challenge is getting them. As others have mentioned, make sure to check for the branded 1600 pts cards, dance central, etc. I hope they get more on the shelves by tuesday, but I'll go early to make sure I can get one.[/QUOTE]

Nope, my math is right. I only got the Bing coupon used on the initial part of the pre-order. I didn't grab a second points card, I was referring to the pre-order bonus.

My plan was to do the same thing as you and just do the coupon on the pick-up, but he didn't really give me a chance. Hope it works out. I may cover my bases and just pre-order at another store tomorrow and try again.

People preordered DC3 with the coupon and then when they went to pick up the game they used a second one? If that works I'll try with medal of honor.

[quote name='Bioterror']People preordered DC3 with the coupon and then when they went to pick up the game they used a second one? If that works I'll try with medal of honor.[/QUOTE]

I know I saw people say they used on the remaining part of the pre order, but I'm not sure about both the deposit and the remaining balance. Using 2 sounds too good to be true.

Went and did it at the Galleria in Houston. Pretty slick. Trying it again would probably be to much for me to go through and I don't know of anything in the store I'd want. That said, Got $10 on Halo 4 and 1600 card and $5. Not sure what I'd do with the $25 they'll give me for that. Also said they'll have a midnight launch. Didn't even know the mall would be open for that.

Maybe I'll go back if I'm in the area. Try and add it to the Halo 4 purchase although I bet there is a expiration date on those cards.

NOTE: They didn't have any cards, they took out a business card and scribbled on it.

I love this promo!

CnMjG.jpg

Went today and went up to the guy as he said "I've got 2 left!" Apparently they have a set amount to give out per day, because this was at 2:30pm. Got another 1600pts card and an 8GB Kingston all-metal USB drive for $7.98 today.

May try and go back during the week.

Has anyone tried preorder for Black Ops 2 in-stores? I asked a couple of them and they said they didn't think it qualified for the $10gc+1600pts because it wasn't on their print out. I pointed out that it's listed on the MSstore website. They made a note on my preorder saying that I should get a free 1600pts, but wouldn't agree to the $10gc since the website just says "coupon" and doesn't specify how much it's worth. Curious to see what will happen with this one.

[quote name='yuyak']Has anyone tried preorder for Black Ops 2 in-stores? I asked a couple of them and they said they didn't think it qualified for the $10gc+1600pts because it wasn't on their print out. I pointed out that it's listed on the MSstore website. They made a note on my preorder saying that I should get a free 1600pts, but wouldn't agree to the $10gc since the website just says "coupon" and doesn't specify how much it's worth. Curious to see what will happen with this one.[/QUOTE]

There was a display in my local store that listed Black Ops. It was also on blops2 display case.

[quote name='henhowc']There was a display in my local store that listed Black Ops. It was also on blops2 display case.[/QUOTE] Yeah, mine didn't have that. Do you happen to remember if it was indeed the $10+1600pts? Thanks!

Went into the Mall of America store this evening around 6pm and the "manager" at the checkout counter there told me that "as of 2 days ago, they cannot apply the Bing It On vouchers on points cards or subscription cards". Going back tomorrow in hopes of getting someone who is more helpful letting me do this.

[quote name='icysoul556']Went into the Mall of America store this evening around 6pm and the "manager" at the checkout counter there told me that "as of 2 days ago, they cannot apply the Bing It On vouchers on points cards or subscription cards". Going back tomorrow in hopes of getting someone who is more helpful letting me do this.[/QUOTE]

Probably because of this guy. ;) j/k

[quote name='paperchu']I love this promo!
CnMjG.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I already went once, but I am thinking about going again. I want Doom 3 BFG, but then I read that it's disappointing. Maybe points card again if my store is cool? lol

[quote name='nhlducks35']Uh oh, I hope the South Coast Plaza one has microsoft points when I go tomorrow.[/QUOTE] As someone else mentioned, keep your eyes open for Halo Reach, Dance Central, etc branded point cards. The last few times I went they were out of the generic ones (Palo Alto, CA) but had a HUGE stack of the Halo Reach ones left.

[quote name='lostdecoy']Boyfriend & I were there at opening today and they were out of vouchers then. They told us to just tell the cashier that we did the challenge and they took care of us. Each of us got 1600 pt cards, no $25 minimum purchase required.[/QUOTE]

Went to the Microsoft Store at Galleria in Houston today to take the challenge for a 3rd time this week. They were out of the Vouchers but they took $10 off MOH pre-order and $15 off 1600 xbox pts. Also my brother was with me and I asked if I could use his $25 when I come back to pick up MOH on tuesday. Had no problem as the staff signed a business card that read Bing Challenge Voucer and told me to bring it back on tuesday. I also asked if I would get the pre-order bonus 1600 pts and $10 gift card and they assured me I would.

[quote name='k04sm02']Nope, my math is right. I only got the Bing coupon used on the initial part of the pre-order. I didn't grab a second points card, I was referring to the pre-order bonus.

My plan was to do the same thing as you and just do the coupon on the pick-up, but he didn't really give me a chance. Hope it works out. I may cover my bases and just pre-order at another store tomorrow and try again.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize you only used $10 of the coupon. Preordering it by itself might be a good idea. I should have preordered it both ways, but I just went the safe route with no coupon on preorder.

Also to get the preorders with the GC and 1600 pts you might need to grab the display case and have them scan it. Someone mentioned that it was a different sku or something earlier.

[quote name='jmanereese']Went to the Microsoft Store at Galleria in Houston today to take the challenge for a 3rd time this week. They were out of the Vouchers but they took $10 off MOH pre-order and $15 off 1600 xbox pts. Also my brother was with me and I asked if I could use his $25 when I come back to pick up MOH on tuesday. Had no problem as the staff signed a business card that read Bing Challenge Voucer and told me to bring it back on tuesday. I also asked if I would get the pre-order bonus 1600 pts and $10 gift card and they assured me I would.[/QUOTE]

Forgot about the preorder stuff. Might go back in if they allowing multiples there. Grab a CoD Blops 2 preorder. Could help pay for game when it comes out. Ugh, the galleria though.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I didn't realize you only used $10 of the coupon. Preordering it by itself might be a good idea. I should have preordered it both ways, but I just went the safe route with no coupon on preorder.

Also to get the preorders with the GC and 1600 pts you might need to grab the display case and have them scan it. Someone mentioned that it was a different sku or something earlier.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the actual pre-order box f the game? That's what I had him scan, so hopefully it'll work. I think I may just go to the San Diego one today and pre-order (while putting $10 down) to make sure I get it. I'd rather spend a bit more than be out of luck.

Went to newly opened store in Huntington (Walt Whitman Mall). I had to ask for the offer. Used $25 voucher for 1600MS points and $10 Halo4 pre-order (layed out $4.99).

May return tomorrow for Forza Horizon.

[quote name='stoned99']Think I'll preorder another Forza and hopefully buy it with the coupon, then flip it to a local store that pays cash.[/QUOTE]

What store in our area pays cash?

[quote name='Enixbelmont']So i've already done this once, is it OK to try again? More than one person get turned away from the boston one?[/QUOTE]

The only people being turned down sound like they are going so often that the employees in the store now recognize them...

[quote name='icysoul556']Went into the Mall of America store this evening around 6pm and the "manager" at the checkout counter there told me that "as of 2 days ago, they cannot apply the Bing It On vouchers on points cards or subscription cards". Going back tomorrow in hopes of getting someone who is more helpful letting me do this.[/QUOTE]

fuck, I had saved my vouchers from last week (because at first I wasn't sure about stacking or not) and I just haven’t had a chance to go back till today! I'm gonna be pissed if I cant get any! Damn points hoarders ruining it for everyone...

bread's done
Back