Minimum $100 Gift Card for PS3 or XBOX @ BB

Got the $100. $32 for GTA V (just missed the $36 deal) and a few dollars from some older games. However, they didn't accept my Skyrim Legendary Edition. I searched the game on their online database and only the regular edition came up. I wonder why that is.
you can trade it in as the regular edition, bestbuy does not differentiate between regular editions of games, and goty/special/collectors edition. you get all the same trade in value

Traded my original 20GB non-HDMI 360. They plugged it in and it immediately red-ringed (almost had a heart attack), but they took it anyway ("Eh, we took one like that yesterday"). I figured out later that it was because they didn't plug in the AV cable because it was 4 rings, not 3, but I don't think they knew that was why. They took HDD, cables, and controller too, but that may just be because I already had them in the bag.

I got denied without a controller and they wanted the OEM av cables (I had working replacement cables). I might have given them the other set I had but not giving up a controller. Was hoping for -$10 w/o controller but they wouldn't budge.

Traded my original 20GB non-HDMI 360. They plugged it in and it immediately red-ringed (almost had a heart attack), but they took it anyway ("Eh, we took one like that yesterday"). I figured out later that it was because they didn't plug in the AV cable because it was 4 rings, not 3, but I don't think they knew that was why. They took HDD, cables, and controller too, but that may just be because I already had them in the bag.
Same thing happen to me. I told them to plug in the AV cables and it worked. It was also 4 lights not 3. I told them the difference between 4 lights vs 3 but it was going over their head so I stopped talking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been a victim (though that may not be the most appropriate term by some) of having my console banned during the "Region Fiasco" (as I like to call it) a couple months back, the thing has been sitting there as a brick since I don't like earning achievements offline (thus lacking the timestamp). I heard about this deal via a friend and I figured "why not give it a shot"?.
So I brought it in a few days ago and was able to sell it just fine (dumbing down the story I had started typing here). All they did was hook it up to their TV, turn it on then off after like 10 seconds. Didn't even use my controller for anything...then they went through the checkout process. There was a minor screwup with the register at customer service, but they were able to bring it to another general register to complete the transaction.
Without the promotion, would have earned $41 but they bumped it up 59 bucks to get me to 100. It was one of those 4GB Slims you get with a Kinect, had the thing since 2010..=/ miss it but nothing can be done about that now. Couldn't sell it to Gamestop, probably wouldn't get anything worthwhile from someone online so...either let it collect dust or get rid of it (now I'm a game collector, so I'm all about holding onto my stuff...but this...different situation).
Anyways...no finger-printing, they did require ID/phone number/address...but that's about it.
Now...the "Region Fiasco" is what I call the situation where various games were showing up free on the Xbox Live Marketplace from countries that don't support a marketplace (Bosnia, Morocco, etc.). It was widespread...as far as I can tell, "condemned" over here by CAGs. Lots of controversy on whether or not people would actually get banned since the proposed incidents were by people who did other illegal crap...but then Microsoft swung that banhammer and I was one of many to lose their console. A friend of mine lost his gamertag as well...250K gamerscore and hundreds if not thousands of dollars in content lost in an instant (stuff attached to that account through the download history). I was lucky that it was only my console that suffered...needless to say, I don't bother with ANYTHING that's free in other countries now .__. screw that man. I still buy things though using my credit card in Japan, getting the Dead Rising Case Zero and Case West that way (japanese releases, stacked gamerscore yeah!) then the Metal Gear Rising VR missions DLC from the UK.
So me selling this "banned Xbox" to Best Buy might seem like a "terrible thing" to some but I had to get rid of it. I'm not buying up Xboxes for cheap and bringing them to BB. Just that one. If I could, I'd try my old Elite but it suffers the E74 error and never hits the dashboard when it is turned on. So I highly doubt they'd take it. Anyways, after I successfully sold my Xbox I told some folks who also suffered from the Region Fiasco that they can at least do something with their banned boxes now if they wished. This promotion is a great thing for me and some others...glad it came about.
Now I can use this gift card towards a PS3 bundle this Friday and catch up with all the sony games I've missed out on. Not my first time owning a PS3 but it's my first time playing one in about 4 years. I loved my PS1 and PS2...also I still have another 360 (old white model I'm currently playing on). Ahem...my rather lengthy post aside, thank you Best Buy!
Justify it any way you want, you still traded in a banned console.

Yes... you have a point. It's definitely cool that it's backwards compatible. But want to know the last time I used that feature??? Probably sometime in 2006. Also, this thing is a beast. It heats up the entire room and is entirely too loud to watch movies while the thing is on. I'm leaning towards selling it, but keep the suggestions coming ;)
Well, I have a phat 80gb with the 80% sw backwards compat...which I don't use the bc...I've never tried a PS2 game on it. But...I decided to keep mine. a - because I still have backlog-orama of games to play. b - because I'd just turn around to buy a newer PS3. c - because mine has never run as hot as many people report...in the 6? yrs I've had it I've only heard the fan on highest speed like 3 times. d - if it does YLOD there are several repair shops in my town at lesser cost than buying a new one.

However...if mine were *so* loud I might trade it...but mine is not.

Justify it any way you want, you still traded in a banned console.
You're right, though I didn't let morals stop me from doing this. Either sit on something I can never sell for much of a profit unless I find some gullible idjit or take advantage of something that other people have gotten to work for them (I heard about banned consoles being successfully sold on slickdeals). My motivation for doing this was "Microsoft banned this console, I fell victim to something everyone else had been doing for 6+ years"...and trying to spend a little bit less on something I've wanted for quite some time but bills/etc. prevent me from paying normal retail price for it. I missed out on a Gamestop promotion a little while back (any pre-owned PS3 model for $150, didn't matter how big the memory was) and I wanted to snag up this deal since it came with a game I was planning to buy anyways.

Alas, what's done is done. I miss the console for all the memories I've had with it, all the games completed under the hours burnt into it...but it was time to let go. And make some money too.

Which begs to question what exactly Best Buy is doing with all these old 360s and PS3s? Are they really turning around and selling them all as a pre-owned selection? Or are they sending them off somewhere to be...I don't know, melted down/disassembled for parts (just throwing crap out there)?

That last part may not be crap, see my previous post
Ah, I see. Just read it now...so if that's the case, anyone who brought in a banned console isn't doing any harm either. Heck probably the RROD/E74 consoles aren't a problem either if they're just going for the motherboard and minerals used to make up these consoles. Basically...for this week they've acted as a scrap-metal dealer (or whatever term they're referred to) that you bring your junk to and they pay you back a nice sum. Doesn't matter if the junk is fully operational...they want what's inside.

There's my justification, I helped Best Buy in the end!

traded in my old 20GB 360 refurb. Gave up the HDD and a wired controller along with it. The controller was old as shit though so it's fine with me. 

Thing is a ticking time bomb, glad to get $100 for it. 

I got rejected in 2 different stores for having an elite without the hard drive.
I had my harddrive and controller in a separate bag with my games I wanted to trade in just in case they asked for it.

Her: -checks console- What size is this one?

Me: Um, the 120GB one I think.

Her: Alrighty. Do you have the controller?

Me: Yep. Is that required?

Her: Yes it is.

Never inquired about the harddrive. It took them a while to inspect my console because the disc tray wasn't opening while the system was vertical. She explained that it had to open while both horizontal and vertical to be considered "fully functioning." Right when they were about to reject it, she pressed the button again and it opened. Whew.

Dude, does this guy ever shut up

he's literally just spewing up a fat story to justify his actions
If you're referring to me, then my bad...I have a tendency to type more than intended. But ultimately the bottom line is: why should it have to be justified? End of the day everyone has their own ways of being a "cheap ass gamer", if there's no policy to actually check if these things go online (or hell, even turn on) then it's the fault of Best Buy for not having employees check these things. Despite initially feeling sort of bad about it, now I'm inclined to not give a crap.

The name "cheap ass" isn't being used to its potential if someone isn't willing to actually be cheap towards the vendor. Place moral guidelines on a pedestal if you like, if you can get something for cheap or get money back for something you can't even use (to your own purposes at least) - do it.

First BBY rejected my perfectly functioning 360 because the powerbrick "made a sound" - wtf.  Went to my local, awesome BBY and they took it no problem and I used the $100 gc to pricematch the Zelda 3DS.  It was a good day.

Also the funniest thing about the above story is that his friend with the banned account stood a good chance to get a free xbone from MS with that kind of gamerscore but he decided to scum.  Scumbags gonna scum.

Turned in my slim PS3 for the $100 gift card. I gave them the console and power cable. He didnt ask for a controller. He asked me the hard drive size. He turned it on without hooking it up to a TV, checked that it didnt YLOD, shut it off and I was on my way.

I was lucky to pick up a Thanksgiving PS3 bundle at Kmart today, so with this gift card, I sort of got a brand new PS3 and two games for $100.

Between the B2G1 stacked with 30% off at Target and this $100 GC at Best buy and new PS3 at kmart........ BEST PRE BLACK FRIDAY EVER!!!!!!!

Thanks CAG !!!

Thought about taking in my 60GB BC PS3, but decided not to in the end.  It's still mint, boxed up (been using 160GB Slim), but was still working like a champ.  $100 just doesn't seem worth it for this model and in great working condition. 

Instead I think I'll send it in the near future to gophermods to have them heat-proof the thing by upgrading thermal paste on CPU/GPU, thermal pads on motherboard, and install the 19 bladed fan...possibly upgrade PSU too. 

Also...it still looks sexy after all these years. ;)

I took my ps3 in today. The line was horrendous, but I got $160 for it with a handful of games. At first the lady told me she didn't want the controllers, but then she changed her mind. I know I could have gotten more money by selling it elsewhere, but it was nice to unload all my last gen stuff at once.

Found my old 20GB Hard drive. Made sure it was wiped clean from the transfer, then took the console to Best Buy. Didn't check it to see if it worked or anything. Just did the stuff on the register, and after the usual info you have to give when trading in stuff, got a $100 gift card. I would have only gotten $10 for it outside this promotion, so getting 10 times the value is a win in my book.

Thought about taking in my 60GB BC PS3, but decided not to in the end. It's still mint, boxed up (been using 160GB Slim), but was still working like a champ. $100 just doesn't seem worth it for this model and in great working condition.

Instead I think I'll send it in the near future to gophermods to have them heat-proof the thing by upgrading thermal paste on CPU/GPU, thermal pads on motherboard, and install the 19 bladed fan...possibly upgrade PSU too.

Also...it still looks sexy after all these years. ;)
Good to hear you kept your BC PS3. Man, I wish my 80GB phat was still working. It died and that's the reason I got a slim. That was I think on its last leg and what pushed me to turn it in. If kmart didn't put the black-friday units out today I would have kept my slim until it died and bought what ever would have been out at that time.

fixed a RROD 20GB pro system today that was sutting around and traded that and my normal use non HDMI 20GB pro that was hanging on for 200 credit tonight. They didnt boot up either system at all and I had all cables, power and controllers. So strange they didnt even power on either one. Will have to pick up a 4GB system tomorrow or 250GB on BF but thank god I dont have to hear those two systems running ever again.

fixed a RROD 20GB pro system today that was sutting around and traded that and my normal use non HDMI 20GB pro that was hanging on for 200 credit tonight. They didnt boot up either system at all and I had all cables, power and controllers. So strange they didnt even power on either one. Will have to pick up a 4GB system tomorrow or 250GB on BF but thank god I dont have to hear those two systems running ever again.
The 23rd was the last day for the promotion. Sorry man, at least you got those 2 in when you did though

I actually read that in the beginning lol

no harm no foul :p

It's time to close this bread though

don't close the bread!!! I need my carbs!!

You're right, though I didn't let morals stop me from doing this. Either sit on something I can never sell for much of a profit unless I find some gullible idjit or take advantage of something that other people have gotten to work for them (I heard about banned consoles being successfully sold on slickdeals). My motivation for doing this was "Microsoft banned this console, I fell victim to something everyone else had been doing for 6+ years"...and trying to spend a little bit less on something I've wanted for quite some time but bills/etc. prevent me from paying normal retail price for it. I missed out on a Gamestop promotion a little while back (any pre-owned PS3 model for $150, didn't matter how big the memory was) and I wanted to snag up this deal since it came with a game I was planning to buy anyways.

Alas, what's done is done. I miss the console for all the memories I've had with it, all the games completed under the hours burnt into it...but it was time to let go. And make some money too.

Which begs to question what exactly Best Buy is doing with all these old 360s and PS3s? Are they really turning around and selling them all as a pre-owned selection? Or are they sending them off somewhere to be...I don't know, melted down/disassembled for parts (just throwing crap out there)?
Yea I know what you are saying and in the big picture I doubt Best Buy gives a crap about these consoles they are getting. Anything they make off of them will be a bonus. It's all part of a plan to get a bigger % of the holiday shopping money. They know this holiday season is going to be huge for video gaming, and by handing out $100 gift cards they are trying to get people to buy a PS4/Xbone and do their holiday shopping at Best Buy instead of a competitor.

I wondering when CAG Moral Police would come in and tell people how shady they are for trading crappy xboxs/ps3. Guess im never buying one used

Yea I know what you are saying and in the big picture I doubt Best Buy gives a crap about these consoles they are getting. Anything they make off of them will be a bonus. It's all part of a plan to get a bigger % of the holiday shopping money. They know this holiday season is going to be huge for video gaming, and by handing out $100 gift cards they are trying to get people to buy a PS4/Xbone and do their holiday shopping at Best Buy instead of a competitor.
I just used the BB GCs to buy Amazon GCs, so that didn't work out as they hoped!

Only sad thing about the trade ins are the consoles that do not work. From what I was informed is that the working ones go to the hospitals for cancer kids and all that after being refurbished and stuff.  Oh well.....

Glad you all got to do the deal.

I traded my /working/ Xbox 360 in, they didn't ask for HD but did want the controller.

it was one of the old fat white ones, but never had any issues with it, was time to move on, been sitting there collecting dust for better part of a year.

pc master race ect ect.

That's not a great strategy when you can just buy Amazon GCs in-store. I know 90% of people won't exchange the BB credit for that, but still.

FYI they do this, even when it's misguided, because they know that on average people spend something like three times the amount of their gift card.  Don't remember the exact number from when I was there but that's why they do this.  It's one of those things that doesn't always sound logical but is statistically backed by their metrics.

I traded my /working/ Xbox 360 in, they didn't ask for HD but did want the controller.
it was one of the old fat white ones, but never had any issues with it, was time to move on, been sitting there collecting dust for better part of a year.

pc master race ect ect.

Was this today? I'm pretty sure the promo ended but I'm trying to get my lil bro to trade in his and buy a WiiU so I can fulfill my inner Nintendo kid wishes..

There's only so much GTA you can play as a 28 year old

EldritchOnRye, on 27 Nov 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:EldritchOnRye, on 27 Nov 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:
FYI they do this, even when it's misguided, because they know that on average people spend something like three times the amount of their gift card. Don't remember the exact number from when I was there but that's why they do this. It's one of those things that doesn't always sound logical but is statistically backed by their metrics.
I know atleast three people who traded in just one console and ended up spending close to $600 that day. Even if you have to give $100 for a stepped-on console, you still make money off of a person who otherwise might not have shown up.

That's not a great strategy when you can just buy Amazon GCs in-store. I know 90% of people won't exchange the BB credit for that, but still.
most people aren't cag'ers and won't think to move their credit via amazon or pre-paid visa the 90% is more like 98%.
Plus there could be kickbacks on nextgen which could be why the promo was started.

bread's done
Back