Minimum $100 Gift Card for PS3 or XBOX @ BB

Still need to decide if I want to unload my old 60gb PS3--it works great, but I know one of these days its going to kick the bucket and I doubt I'm going to be able to do to much better than $100 net for it (goes for a little more on eBay but between fees, shipping and the scam risk, just doesn't seem worth it). There are a few current gen games I'd still like to play but nothing I absolutely need to play... and if I ditched it, I could put it toward a PS4 instead... decisions, decisions...

I got a stickler at my store. Asked managers if original cables are needed. Then she started saying stuff about the holographic seal on the back by the barcode showing i never opened it. Had no idea what she was talking about or if i had opened my Xbox.

Get home and see its under the faceplate. Went back and showed her and got my $100

Side note, my Best Buy is getting 0 Tearaway for Vita this Friday and dont know how to apply my discount to preorders.

Just got back from my local BB. I traded in an old 80gig fat which came with the old playstation composite cable that I no longer have because who on earth needs them still (apologies if there actually are people who still use them). The girl there at first mentioned it needed everything to qualify but then put it through anyway at the full 100. Now I just need 300 more to buy a ps4 .. plus tax.

Traded in a 20gb Xbox 360 that had a bad disc drive (wouldnt read games). Traded in an Xbox 360 arcade as well that was purchased to replace the broken Xbox. Also traded in 40 games. By the time the clerk was done scanning all the games she was losing interest. She just checked for the cables, and controller no test to see if it even powered on.

All together i got $440.50 for my stuff and I still have an extra controller, wifi adapter, and remote I will be taking to GS for trade in.

Operation get $200 for next to nothing is complete. Found a pawn shop with 2 bricks for $7 each so $14 for $200 is great. I gave them a a 2 bricks, two av cables, 2 consoles and no controllers. They tested them, and they both turned on. He asked if the 20gb was inside the console, guess what I said. I'm happy to finally get rid of those 2 space eaters.

Success. I managed to trade in my 80GB PS3 at another Best Buy and they didn't even check to see if it worked but it indeed does work of course. Anyways I have $200 now and I just have to wait till Black Friday aka Thursday at 6PM to try and snag that 250GB X360 Black Friday Bundle.

Traded in a 20gb Xbox 360 that had a bad disc drive (wouldnt read games). Traded in an Xbox 360 arcade as well that was purchased to replace the broken Xbox. Also traded in 40 games. By the time the clerk was done scanning all the games she was losing interest. She just checked for the cables, and controller no test to see if it even powered on.

All together i got $440.50 for my stuff and I still have an extra controller, wifi adapter, and remote I will be taking to GS for trade in.
Sell the Wifi Adapter on eBay. I sold mine for 22 bucks there is a market for them there trust me.

So what do PS3 deals look like? I am adverse to getting rid of my PS3 because there are still PS3 exclusives I want to play and I still use the backwards compatibility occasionally (just packed away my PS2, moved my PS3 upstairs, and set up the PS4 by the big TV), but $100 for my 80GB fat that still works (even if I suspect it won't all that much longer given what I am hearing from other people who bought theirs a year before me) seems like a pretty good deal and having a smaller PS3 wouldn't be terrible.

It seems like someone has been picking up all the 360's and PS3's on CL in my area. Some units that you know have been sitting there forever got scooped up recently. Hmmmm...

Damn all you people with spare consoles laying around...I can't get myself to get rid of my OG 160gb and 60gb PS3/360. I'm thinking of just buying up all those cheap ps3/360s I see on craigslist...hmmm

Already traded in my Elite, really having a hard time letting go of my 60gb PS3 even though i rarely played it. It ended up being a $600 blu ray player.

I went in and traded in my launch day 360 with no problem at all. I didn't have the original video cables or the battery pack for the controller but it wasn't an issue. They just checked to make sure it powered on and showed a picture and I was good to go.

I just went in to trade in my 40Gb old school PS3. They didn't check anything and only asked me if it worked. I provided the system, AV cables, controller and power cord. I think the shelf life on first gens are coming up (if it hasn't already YLOD). The $100 gift card should come in nicely towards the Black Friday super slim bundle or you can use it towards an Amazon giftcard if they have a better deal.
Yeah, the increasing possibility of a YLOD is what is making me consider this. Problem 1: I need to find the original 80gb hdd. I swapped a 250gb into a couple years ago and I'd just as soon keep the 250gb. Problem 2: I need to try to find the original AV cable...don't want to give up my HDMI cable. Problem 3...I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the super slim. On the other hand...newer model gives me in theory more years of service than the 80gb has left. And I can either go for the $199 holiday bundle or the $149 12gb model (which with the $100 gift card means just $49 and a hard drive bracket out of pocket).

Option 2 is to trade in the 80gb; buy a pre-owned slim off cowboom; use the $100 towards a PS4 sometime next year...maybe the Infamous bundle or some other bundle this time next year.

Think I might try to hit up Blockbusters to see if I can get some of those 40gb PS3's they're liquidating. If I could get them for under $40, this could be a nice flip. 

Yeah, the increasing possibility of a YLOD is what is making me consider this. Problem 1: I need to find the original 80gb hdd. I swapped a 250gb into a couple years ago and I'd just as soon keep the 250gb. Problem 2: I need to try to find the original AV cable...don't want to give up my HDMI cable. Problem 3...I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the super slim. On the other hand...newer model gives me in theory more years of service than the 80gb has left. And I can either go for the $199 holiday bundle or the $149 12gb model (which with the $100 gift card means just $49 and a hard drive bracket out of pocket).

Option 2 is to trade in the 80gb; buy a pre-owned slim off cowboom; use the $100 towards a PS4 sometime next year...maybe the Infamous bundle or some other bundle this time next year.
TBH. I wouldn't buy any consoles from cowboom any time soon. They're about to be flooded with broken consoles etc.

Question, what do i need to trade in a 360 fat? just console, cable? Can I bring in a third pt controller if it is needed?
They ask for the stuff that would come with it if you bought it new. Console, HDD (depending on what model you say it is), power cable, power brick, AV cables and a controller. Some people in here have had success with trading in a third-party controller, others haven't. I'd say try it with a third-party controller, if you want, but be sure to have a OEM controller in your back pocket in case they turn you down.

Also, what they check is really YMMV. My Best Buy booted it to the dashboard, tested the controller, the disc drive (just to see if it opened and closed) and checked the HDD size through the dash. The lady who was helping me didn't know much about 360's so another guy had to come in at the end to pop off the faceplate to check to see if the warranty sticker was still intact and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question, what do i need to trade in a 360 fat? just console, cable? Can I bring in a third pt controller if it is needed?
This varies like crazy. Super YMMV. I did 2 20gb consoles today with no hard drives in either of them and no controllers either. More than likely you would need av cables, hard drive, brick, and console. Like I said it varies from smart employee to have no freaking clue employee. I got the best one. Make sure the console turns on, thats the biggest thing. Some don't even check it.

YMMV on controller, some people had success on 3rd party and some didn't.

Everyone go to this. They used this in store, for some reason he clicked yes on the controllers even though I didn't have them.
Remember this, if it goes under $0.01 you don't qualify for $100. Try different combos such as everything but no av cables etc. I didn't have to go through this but if they say sorry we need the brick you could tell them to click it doesn't have one.

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculator.cfm?category=game-system-consoles

I think I have an old Elite sitting in a box that I got off Craigslist a while back for $10.  I think they cracked the outside plastic though.  :/  Will have to dig it out and check on it.

I've only read a few of the comments, so sorry if it's been answered. Has anyone had any problems trading in a console that originally came with a game, with out the game?

I have the red Xbox resident evil bundle, but I traded in the game a while ago. Wondering if anyone knows something about this or is in a similar situation as my self.

I'll be doing this today. I have 2 ps3's and two 360's to get rid of. I was just thinking about how I could get rid if them this morning. Thanks op.

Can't decide if I want to trade in my PS3/360. I have some games I still haven't got to. Or I could just start fresh with PS4/One.

How many CAGs had their 360's checked for the disk tray opening? I have an old Xbox 360 Pro and the damn disk tray doesn't open without some "assistance" with my hand. Also I have the 60GB PS3 that is backwards compatible with PS1 & 2 games should I trade it in? I rarely use it and I only have one game for it.

I've only read a few of the comments, so sorry if it's been answered. Has anyone had any problems trading in a console that originally came with a game, with out the game?

I have the red Xbox resident evil bundle, but I traded in the game a while ago. Wondering if anyone knows something about this or is in a similar situation as my self.
I had no problems trading in the RE xbox without the game it would be 4.00 with game without game its .40 cents but gets bumped up to $100

Traded my launch Xbox on Sunday. Rep said she had to turn on the box to see if it booted, but she never did. She did require the headset and controller. This is definitely a YMMV situation.

Man, I was tempted to look through Craigslist to see if there were any consoles I could flip for an easy $100 GC, but there isn't a single console under $100 on my local CL, except a guy selling a BROKEN 360 for $50.  No quick flips for this guy.

Man, I was tempted to look through Craigslist to see if there were any consoles I could flip for an easy $100 GC, but there isn't a single console under $100 on my local CL, except a guy selling a BROKEN 360 for $50. No quick flips for this guy.
Yeah, same here. One person on CL has a broken 40GB phat PS3 and wants $150 for it.

How many CAGs had their 360's checked for the disk tray opening? I have an old Xbox 360 Pro and the damn disk tray doesn't open without some "assistance" with my hand. Also I have the 60GB PS3 that is backwards compatible with PS1 & 2 games should I trade it in? I rarely use it and I only have one game for it.
I also had a 360 that had disk tray issues. I was very lucky they didn't check it. I'd imagine it's a YMMV situation. As for the PS3, you can probably get a lot more than $100 if it plays ps2 games, only if you sell it on your own.

Do you need to go in with the original box? Or could I just bring my system in as is (Xbox 360 Slim) with the A/V cable, Power Brick and Official Controller? No box.

I traded in my old non-HDMI 20gb no problem.  They plugged it in to a TV and put a game in to make sure it worked. 

Going to try this with my old Halo 3 edition Elite. (I have the Slim now) I don't have the HDD for it anymore, I gave that to my sister-in-law, but I do have the box. I'd like to keep the controller though...

Going tomorrow after work. Fingers crossed!

Well they take a Phat xbox 360 if the memory card slot doesn't close and shows some wear and tear? I just found my old 60 GB Phat xbox 360, but the memory slot is broken and it looks a little beat up, but it's fully functional (Don't have original box though).

Man... wish I could dish out this Elite that's been sitting in my room. I doubt my warranty sticker is in tact cuz I had to do the RROD clamp fix on it like how many years ago. It's been solid since, just unused as I've been mostly using the newer kinect bundle one instead...

bread's done
Back