Minimum $100 Gift Card for PS3 or XBOX @ BB

Mannnn still don't know if I wanna do this. I wanna jump onto next gen but I'm sure I won't be able to get an Xbone anytime soon unless I lined up for midnight launch, but it really sucks that the consoles aren't backwards compatible. I just can't give my PS3 and 360 up! Too much backlog to go through!
Same. Backlog-orama. (Only PS3 for me though.) I've been seriously contemplating taking my 80gb phat PS3 in but have ultimately decided not to do it. If I did, I would just be turning around to buy a new PS3 and I might as well just keep my original running. 1. I've already upgraded the hdd to 250gb. 2. Mine has always been a quiet one...only once have I ever heard it ramp the fan up all the way. 3. If it does finally bite the dust, I have at least 3 local shops I know of for PS3 repair (with some good yelp and google reviews). And 4. I despise the look of the Super Slim; think the slim is OK (but only available used now); but prefer the looks of the original.

Plus...even before all the PS4 failures I had no plans to buy a PS4 until at least the Infamous bundle and maybe not til this time next year.

Best Buy accepted it without checking anything lol, but the xbox works fine

they forced me to give the controller haha

but whatever man good deal.

Xbox 360 Elite For 100 bucks is pretty sweet, I wanted to upgrade to another slim anyways.

It is $4 base at GS, so with 30% toward pre-owned, it is $5.20.

Controller is $12.
Ebay the 60gb HDD if Best Buy doesn't require it with the trade in. You could probably get at least $20 for it.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many consoles you can trade in? Not that I have a horde but may be trading in 2 xboxes and a PS3 depending and the terms are not very specific.

Went to trade my second 360 today after yesterday's success, very different experience.

Yesterday the woman didn't even plug it in, told me I didn't need a controller or HDD. TODAY, I was turned away for not having a controller. Different person at the counter, gonna try again tomorrow and see if I can get it in without it.

YMMV people - I would call ahead and ask questions to be safe.

Would adding any extra accessories with it increase the value? Or should I just waltz down to the Gamestop afterwards to get rid of those things?

IE: Play & Charge kit, 250GB HDD, Remote

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to trade my second 360 today after yesterday's success, very different experience.

Yesterday the woman didn't even plug it in, told me I didn't need a controller or HDD. TODAY, I was turned away for not having a controller. Different person at the counter, gonna try again tomorrow and see if I can get it in without it.

YMMV people - I would call ahead and ask questions to be safe.
I would think the time and gas to attempt to trade in without a controller would be higher than the cost of the controller itself. I would just trade it in with the controller if I were you.

I'm also curious to know about people's experience with warranty stickers or lack thereof. Mine is a Gamestop refurb.
It's been mentioned in the thread a few times:

YMMV

They are *supposed* to check on the sticker. Some places will and some won't. Hell, some places don't even turn the consoles on. You're just going to have to try it.

Trying it today. Will let people know. Console works but obviously isn't brand new.

EDIT: I was able to trade it in. They honestly didn't even try to test it. They were more concerned about how to process the black elite with no HDD than anything.

Traded in 2 consoles, 2 different stores, 2 different experiences. The first store was anal about checking every little detail. Had to plug it in power up, make sure the tray worked, make sure it played games. They told me it had to warm up for 15 minutes before they could finish the trade? I didn't understand that. The only thing they didn't check was the seal. Everything went fine got my card and left.
Second store, walked in took 5 minutes the only thing they checked was the seal. Both consoles worked well both pre-hdmi ports, 2005 consoles.

Please excuse my question as there is 51 other pages to go through...

Is this a $100 gift card on top of the current trade in value? It seems that a 500 GB PS3 goes for $111 and I'd get another $100 with this deal?

So for anyone in NY, Long Island I just found out that you cannot trade in an xbox that you bought outside that store and you have to bring the receipt as well. I just got off the phone with  two different Long Island stores and they both said it had to be bought from their specific store and also bring the original receipt. They explained that Long Island has some specific pawn law that doesn't allow persons to sell back items to stores they didn't purchase them from. They both said I could go outside Long Island and trade it in. So I think I'm heading to a best buy in Queens!!! SMH!

So, my issue with my Xbox controllers is that I have play and charge batteries for both systems that I'm looking to take in, but neither work unless they're plugged into the play and charge cable.   

Wonder if I'll have any issues.  The controllers work, just the batteries have no life of their own.  

I also don't have the original battery packs any more... no idea where those went.

I had a great experience.  Traded in a working Xbox Arcade without a hard drive cover, and the guy didn't check to see if it even worked, he said "it works right?".  Of course it does work, I'm not the kind of person that would try and gain something for nothing. 

I did have to provide a controller.  I also traded in a bunch of old games that surprisingly still had some value on them with the 100% bonus.  Ended up with $193 on a gift card.  Nice pull.

So for anyone in NY, Long Island I just found out that you cannot trade in an xbox that you bought outside that store and you have to bring the receipt as well. I just got off the phone with two different Long Island stores and they both said it had to be bought from their specific store and also bring the original receipt. They explaine that Long Islan had some pawn law or something that doesn't accept items from outside their stores. They both said I could go outside Long Island and trade it in. So I think I'm heading to a best buy in Queens!!! SMH!
I'd call BS on that one. The Arcade i traded in was from COMPUSA back in the day and the Ct store i went to yesterday took it fine.

Traded 2 360's and 2 PS3's with controllers av cables and power cords.. In return I got 4 $100 gift cards... I'll be using them for payment on my XBox One on Friday!!!

BTW They didn't check anything. 1 360 was a self fixed red ringer, and 1 PS3 had a bad blu-ray drive.

Thanks Op.

I'd call BS on that one. The Arcade i traded in was from COMPUSA back in the day and the Ct store i went to yesterday took it fine.
Dude I don't think you read my post correctly, this only applies to Long Island, NY, because the law the BB reps stated is probably specifically for the counties of Long Island. Anywhere else you should be fine. I just wrote this to let anyone know who is in Long Island that you probably wont be able to trade in your xbox thus they don't waste their time driving to a best buy and being rejected.

Went to my local store to trade in my Slim 120G PS3.  They told me flat out that I didn't need to trade in anything other than the actual system.  I could keep the controller and all cables.  They also told me that they had done other systems and given the $100 value - such as PS2 & OG Xbox.  Not sure how true it is since OG Xbox isn't listed in their system.  I'm very tempted to go to GS and pick up one of those systems to try it, but I'm pressed for time today.

I successfully traded in my Jasper Elite sans hard drive and controller. The lady at the customer service desk didn't ask about the missing hard drive, she just inputted it as the 4 gig version. I had a wired controller from an old arcade hoping Best Buy would take it, she questioned why the console and controller were different colors. I offered to get the wireless controller out of my card, but she ended up accepting the console and letting me keep the wired controller. Also, she didn't check if the warranty seal was intact, if the console booted, she didn't even ask me if the console worked. (Yes to all three.)

Went to my local store to trade in my Slim 120G PS3. They told me flat out that I didn't need to trade in anything other than the actual system. I could keep the controller and all cables. They also told me that they had done other systems and given the $100 value - such as PS2 & OG Xbox. Not sure how true it is since OG Xbox isn't listed in their system. I'm very tempted to go to GS and pick up one of those systems to try it, but I'm pressed for time today.
seriously doubt old xbox and ps2 would work but if its true please do report in.

Went to my local store to trade in my Slim 120G PS3. They told me flat out that I didn't need to trade in anything other than the actual system. I could keep the controller and all cables. They also told me that they had done other systems and given the $100 value - such as PS2 & OG Xbox. Not sure how true it is since OG Xbox isn't listed in their system. I'm very tempted to go to GS and pick up one of those systems to try it, but I'm pressed for time today.
Holy $***, I have an OG Xbox lying around actually. It doesn't turn off unless I unplug it, and the disc drive gets stuck and needs a little push, but it works. Getting $100 for that would be awesome.

XBMC is worth more than a $100 to me...and the fact that the poster is a known ball buster.

I left my power cable at home still plugged in when I packed everything. I wanted to jump onto the highway after making the trip there for nothing. They didn't even try and power it on to see if it worked though.

Dude I don't think you read my post correctly, this only applies to Long Island, NY, because the law the BB reps stated is probably specifically for the counties of Long Island. Anywhere else you should be fine. I just wrote this to let anyone know who is in Long Island that you probably wont be able to trade in your xbox thus they don't waste their time driving to a best buy and being rejected.
hmmm, I don't have my original reciept, but I wonder they'd take it if I could find the record of it on MyRewards and print that out. Don't know if they'd accept that though.

Holy $***, I have an OG Xbox lying around actually. It doesn't turn off unless I unplug it, and the disc drive gets stuck and needs a little push, but it works. Getting $100 for that would be awesome.
The chances of you finding an employee dumb enough to do that are slim to none. In fact I'd call bs all together.

Hey guys, I've known about this for a while and have been hoping to trade in my launch xbox and snag the 250g bundle on BF.  I am unsure of stock levels though, and don't want to be stuck without an Xbox.  Does anyone have any knowledge about BF bundle availability?  The only reason I thought it might be large is because it is a multi-day sale.  I don't mind not having the newest version, and my console works fine, but I'm always nervous it's going to go caput at it's ripe old age.

XBMC is worth more than a $100 to me...and the fact that the poster is a known ball buster.

I left my power cable at home still plugged in when I packed everything. I wanted to jump onto the highway after making the trip there for nothing. They didn't even try and power it on to see if it worked though.
Ball buster?

The video went out in my xbox 360 4g slim so I turned it in for a $100 GC today. It was done at the customer service desk. They didn't have a TV for testing and didn't even turn it on or ask for the controller.  I did have the original box though so maybe that helped. I did see another xbox at the counter that was turned in packed in a plastic bag.

So for anyone in NY, Long Island I just found out that you cannot trade in an xbox that you bought outside that store and you have to bring the receipt as well. I just got off the phone with two different Long Island stores and they both said it had to be bought from their specific store and also bring the original receipt. They explained that Long Island has some specific pawn law that doesn't allow persons to sell back items to stores they didn't purchase them from. They both said I could go outside Long Island and trade it in. So I think I'm heading to a best buy in Queens!!! SMH!
Well I headed to the Best Buy in Flushing, Queens and they took it. Girl in customer service desk took out my xbox and plugged in the power and just turned it on and made sure the light went on. She kept reading her monitor every second so I'm assuming they have instructions on what to do and check, but she probably ignored everything as she didn't do much checking.

Customer Service BBY employee here. Here are some things you guys should know about the trade it. 

1) Any type of PS3/360 system is accepted.

2) No receipt is needed.

3) Must have all cords that came with the system (no controller = -$10)

4) Only test to see if it boots up. We don't connect it online to see if it's banned. 

5) The $100 is applied at the very end. The transaction will say "$1" until it's at the last stage.

6) You have to give a TON of information such as your license, work place, work address, work number, and even a fingerprint. 

If you guys have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Hey guys, I've known about this for a while and have been hoping to trade in my launch xbox and snag the 250g bundle on BF. I am unsure of stock levels though, and don't want to be stuck without an Xbox. Does anyone have any knowledge about BF bundle availability? The only reason I thought it might be large is because it is a multi-day sale. I don't mind not having the newest version, and my console works fine, but I'm always nervous it's going to go caput at it's ripe old age.

The last couple of BF's I've seen bundles throughout the entire day. I live in South Florida and we have about 7 Best Buy's within 30 minutes of each other so I don't know if that helps out the stock.

Customer Service BBY employee here. Here are some things you guys should know about the trade it.

2) No receipt is needed.

4) Only test to see if it boots up. We don't connect it online to see if it's banned.

5) The $100 is applied at the very end. The transaction will say "$1" until it's at the last stage.

6) You have to give a TON of information such as your license, work place, work address, work number, and even a fingerprint.

Except, YMMV.

My Best Buy didn't turn it on, required a controller (wouldn't give me the minus $10), and only asked for my License...didn't even ask me for my current address when I told him the one on my License was outdated. No fingerprinting, etc.

Except, YMMV.

My Best Buy didn't turn it on, required a controller (wouldn't give me the minus $10), and only asked for my License...didn't even ask me for my current address when I told him the one on my License was outdated. No fingerprinting, etc.
This was my experience as well. License only. Mine isn't stolen or banned so I don't care.

The last post from BB guys answered some of my questions - so basically i have to take everything that came when i bought my PS3.

I have two PS3s one fat and one 120GB slim one. I am planning to get rid of both, is there a limit of one per person or something?

One more question - whats the best way to transfer my saves and delete my account information. I already figured out the activate/deactivate part that can be done from the console itself.

Still going on. Just traded 40g PS3. The guy took it out of the box, made sure everything was there and handed me my $100 GF. All good!

2) No receipt is needed.

receipts are needed in some locations because of pawn laws.

bread's done
Back