Minimum $100 Gift Card for PS3 or XBOX @ BB

Took two systems to Best Buy yesterday...one was a Halo: Reach 360, which they could not take due to seal being broken (I opened it myself to try and fix the faulty disc drive; plus it didn't have a HDD, but I don't think they were checking for that), and they didn't accept the PS3 because I didn't have the USB cable for charging the controller, which was a huge 'WTF' to me...but I didn't put up a fuss, especially since the system suffers from YLOD, so they probably would have declined it after testing anyways (unless it magically worked for a moment).

Still, I usually have such great success taking advantage of Best Buy...$0 for $200 on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
First store wouldn't take mine because "it appeared somebody opened it".  Got it off Craigslist a year or so ago.  It definitely works, and, I do think the previous owner had opened it. 

Gonna try again at a different store.  Funny thing is, the warranty sticker is still intact.  I think somebody tried to fix the DVD drive getting stuck way back in the day (and they did a poor job of pulling the plastic tabs off in the back).

First store wouldn't take mine because "it appeared somebody opened it". Got it off Craigslist a year or so ago. It definitely works, and, I do think the previous owner had opened it.

Gonna try again at a different store. Funny thing is, the warranty sticker is still intact. I think somebody tried to fix the DVD drive getting stuck way back in the day (and they did a poor job of pulling the plastic tabs off in the back).
A chick went Jr Detective on mine too. Talking about the holographic sticker wasnt on the back above the HDMI port. Said it was on all Xboxs and PS3s. I couldnt remember if I did open it but was pretty sure I didnt in the 4 years I have had it.

Went home and researched it. Found that the sticker is under the facecover. Went right back and showed her. She did the trade in after that. I hate dealing with Gamestop and Best Buy employees.

Ok im about to go over to best buy to trade in an old ps3 and xbox 360. I just need to bring the system right? Im also including the harddrive for each since i have no use for them. No cables or anything are needed, right? Cause id rather keep my hdmis

Go to system settings then format ps3 system
Geez, how worried would you guys be if you forgot to clear your info/games/saves? I ran my PS3 over to BB to trade-in while running errands with the kids and completely forgot...crap.

Can you deauthorize a PS3 or something...

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic and panic. Just in case anyone else is in the same boat, you can call Sony for manual deactivation or deactivate all devices using these instructions: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2616

The fact that I got a defective console from Best Buy in first place, and are yet trying to make more money off me by buying it back.

That ol' "get something for nothing mentality" this joker is referring to.

today i return a xbox with no warranty stick.All i had to do was tell them that the serial number was inside on the front lip on the xbox cover. The serial number matched the number when it was turned on. easy $100! FYI, i included one controller, av cables, power brick, and 60 gb hdd. Easy peasy!! 

How would you use a Best Buy Gift Card in walmart though. I want to trade my GF xbox for a newer slim as I know it's on it's way out but all the BF xbox deals are with a bundle. I rather just buy the slim and pay less for it.
I'm pretty sure they sell those Amex gift cards that work like a credit card for $5, and you can just put the credit on there. Someone correct me if that's not the way it works though but I think someone else confirmed it earlier on in the thread

I thought I read on here about someone using their Best Buy gift card to get a Amazon gift card... how? Or am I making this up? All I saw inside Best Buy were Best Buy gift cards.

So should I waste my time?

Xbox works, but has a few bigger holes in the back from opening it up and I think the serial is missing, not sure on that. The sticker on the back is somewhat fine.

I have the box and manuals ready to go.

So should I waste my time?

Xbox works, but has a few bigger holes in the back from opening it up and I think the serial is missing, not sure on that. The sticker on the back is somewhat fine.

I have the box and manuals ready to go.
I would go for it. Sounds like its very YMMV.

So, my issue with my Xbox controllers is that I have play and charge batteries for both systems that I'm looking to take in, but neither work unless they're plugged into the play and charge cable.

Wonder if I'll have any issues. The controllers work, just the batteries have no life of their own.

I also don't have the original battery packs any more... no idea where those went.
You will be fine I turned in a controller and the simply just plugged into the the 360's USB to power it and I didn't have batteries in it. As long as you have a controller with the system it will be just fine.

Traded in a banned console today. All the rep asked for was the HD and controller, got to keep the av cables lol. She also checked to see if the seal was broken, which it was, and she still took it. So i'm happy about that. :)

PS: The controller was so screwed up. The LB didn't work and the analog stick was faulty. She didn't even check the controller.

So has anybody confirmed whether or not the kindle giftcards will work to purchase anything on amazon? I'm thinkin about buying a few of them so i can use them for black friday on amazon but i want to make sure it has been confirmed.

So has anybody confirmed whether or not the kindle giftcards will work to purchase anything on amazon? I'm thinkin about buying a few of them so i can use them for black friday on amazon but i want to make sure it has been confirmed.
They work on everything but my bestbuy only likes to carry 4 in a store. Thats cool

They work on everything but my bestbuy only likes to carry 4 in a store. Thats cool
Alright great! I had to pick up an online order 2 days ago and while i was there i checked to see if they had any kindle giftcards and they had stacks of $25 ones. Gonna go pick some up tomorrow then. Thanks for the help.

I have a black elite that I want to take in tomorrow (last day for promo). I have everything, but the hdd. Do you think I will be able to take advantage of this promo?

Went to my local Best Buy with my 360, power cable, controller (three things needed when I asked them) along with a few games.

I asked the Geek Squad staff member helping what was needed to trade-in the 360. She said the aforementioned items, not being bricked/RRODed, and that it has to have the seal.

My 360 didn't have a seal, so I was like "I'm fucked" but carried on. They rang up the games for me with their double trade value and then took off the faceplate. She looked for a second and went "Hmm, the seal's gone..."

I tried playing it off cool, which looking back was actually stupid as hell, but she went "well normally, I shouldn't allow non-sealed systems here, but I've seen other Best Buys doing so and Best Buy (meaning the company itself) really wants the 360s." She then checked the system number in the bottom (where the USBs would go, I think) and checked if the system worked. It actually had four red rings at first, but they connected it to a TV and saw that it works flawlessly.

I asked why Best Buy wanted the older systems and they said because of the motherboards and the general electronics and minerals in the systems. She said that it's hard to mine and constantly get the materials needed for newer electronics and that's the reason they were taking old systems - "to scrap them."

Satisfied, I took my $142 GC and tried the DualShock 4. Surprisingly, that was my biggest disappointment of the day :p

Damn that weak! 62 cents for a DS3? Ugh!
Gamestop gives you either 17 or 27 store credit for em.. I knows it's decent.

I have a black elite that I want to take in tomorrow (last day for promo). I have everything, but the hdd. Do you think I will be able to take advantage of this promo?
You can try. As gunnm said, it's YMMV. I tried to trade it in without it and she asked me for it, luckily i had it in the car.

I've taken 2 xboxes and 2 ps3s to my local BB.  Only one xbox was fully functional.  The slim had no hard drive in it, was taken apart, and couldn't read discs.  One of the ps3's didn't read discs but wasn't taken apart, and the other one was taken apart, super glued back together, would power on, but booted an error but lit up green.  Turns out they did not test anything, didn't even power them in.  And all I needed was the consoles and the power cords - no controllers or av cables.  Traded in Ghosts and GTA5 and walked out of there with $480 in gift cards.

I said screw it and attempted to take my last one back today.  It powers on but doesn't read dsics.  The faceplate was cracked and everything below the usb ports was missing from the faceplate.  This guy powered it up and seen that it worked and then radioed somebody and asked if he could accept it with the cracked faceplate.  No go.

So i left there and came home and posted on craigslist looking for a broken faceplate.  Found a guy with 3 "non-working" 360s.  $40 for all 3.   Two of them power up and one is red ringed.  And he only had 1 power brick.  Swapped the faceplate from the rrod.  Now I have 3 'working' xboxes to take back tomorrow for the last day of the promotion.  All I need now is 1 more power brick.  I'm too cheap to buy one from GS for $30 so i'm off to CL again hoping to find one for $10

You sir, among others, are ruining this deal for people trading in functioning consoles. Go get your douche credit and stop bragging. (I have never. ever called anyone out on CAG before but that's how much this irks me).

I've taken 2 xboxes and 2 ps3s to my local BB. Only one xbox was fully functional. The slim had no hard drive in it, was taken apart, and couldn't read discs. One of the ps3's didn't read discs but wasn't taken apart, and the other one was taken apart, super glued back together, would power on, but booted an error but lit up green. Turns out they did not test anything, didn't even power them in. And all I needed was the consoles and the power cords - no controllers or av cables. Traded in Ghosts and GTA5 and walked out of there with $480 in gift cards.

I said screw it and attempted to take my last one back today. It powers on but doesn't read dsics. The faceplate was cracked and everything below the usb ports was missing from the faceplate. This guy powered it up and seen that it worked and then radioed somebody and asked if he could accept it with the cracked faceplate. No go.

So i left there and came home and posted on craigslist looking for a broken faceplate. Found a guy with 3 "non-working" 360s. $40 for all 3. Two of them power up and one is red ringed. And he only had 1 power brick. Swapped the faceplate from the rrod. Now I have 3 'working' xboxes to take back tomorrow for the last day of the promotion. All I need now is 1 more power brick. I'm too cheap to buy one from GS for $30 so i'm off to CL again hoping to find one for $10

I've taken 2 xboxes and 2 ps3s to my local BB. Only one xbox was fully functional. The slim had no hard drive in it, was taken apart, and couldn't read discs. One of the ps3's didn't read discs but wasn't taken apart, and the other one was taken apart, super glued back together, would power on, but booted an error but lit up green. Turns out they did not test anything, didn't even power them in. And all I needed was the consoles and the power cords - no controllers or av cables. Traded in Ghosts and GTA5 and walked out of there with $480 in gift cards.

I said screw it and attempted to take my last one back today. It powers on but doesn't read dsics. The faceplate was cracked and everything below the usb ports was missing from the faceplate. This guy powered it up and seen that it worked and then radioed somebody and asked if he could accept it with the cracked faceplate. No go.

So i left there and came home and posted on craigslist looking for a broken faceplate. Found a guy with 3 "non-working" 360s. $40 for all 3. Two of them power up and one is red ringed. And he only had 1 power brick. Swapped the faceplate from the rrod. Now I have 3 'working' xboxes to take back tomorrow for the last day of the promotion. All I need now is 1 more power brick. I'm too cheap to buy one from GS for $30 so i'm off to CL again hoping to find one for $10
Wow you are one a shady mofo. Hopefully somebody spits in your burger one day. :roll:

Gamestop gives you either 17 or 27 store credit for em.. I knows it's decent.

You can try. As gunnm said, it's YMMV. I tried to trade it in without it and she asked me for it, luckily i had it in the car.

Thanks! I'll more than likely take them to GameStop then.

Haters gonna Hate. Keep sticking it to them at your BBY.

You sir, among others, are ruining this deal for people trading in functioning consoles. Go get your douche credit and stop bragging. (I have never. ever called anyone out on CAG before but that's how much this irks me).
I mean.. Its not like they're actually using the consoles for resale.. They are scrapping them. So it doesn't really matter. I'm sure BBY went into this knowing of the people who were going to take advantage. :???:

hrm two xboxs to trade and only one power cord...
Take them both. Maybe if you trade them in at the same time you'll get lucky and they'll just check if they both power on with the same cord. Good luck!

if your console is functioning there is no reason for it to be turned down no matter how many people traded in busted ass consoles.

Wow you are one a shady mofo. Hopefully somebody spits in your burger one day. :roll:
i dont eat burgers.

For real though. Best buy put this $100 bounty on consoles. I'm just wrangling them up for them and getting my reward. If their own employees are too lazy or haven't been trained right to weed out the bad systems, than that is on them. I'm taking a risk by spending my own cash knowing they can turn me down at any moment. And my local BB doesn't have prepaid visas so im stuck with either BB money or Amazon cred. Call me out all you want for trading in faulty systems. Best Buy simply does not have their shit together considering mine is accepting them with no controllers or av cables yet i'm reading that some places need them.

Gotta love how people confuse dishonesty with capitalizing.  I couldn't bring myself to turn in a broken system for a couple hundred bucks, my integrity never goes on sale. 

Anyways.  Turned in both my PS3 and 360 arcade no problems, they tested both, cashiers were both pleasant and they even helped me price match my LOZ 3DSXL. 

For real though. Best buy put this $100 bounty on consoles. I'm just wrangling them up for them and getting my reward. If their own employees are too lazy or haven't been trained right to weed out the bad systems, than that is on them. I'm taking a risk by spending my own cash knowing they can turn me down at any moment. And my local BB doesn't have prepaid visas so im stuck with either BB money or Amazon cred. Call me out all you want for trading in faulty systems. Best Buy simply does not have their shit together considering mine is accepting them with no controllers or av cables yet i'm reading that some places need them.
Do you ever think about the employee who may be affected by your immoral actions, when they trusted you to follow basic rules and basic human decency; do you ever think about the people who will buy your consoles second hand, their frustration and hassle of returning; do you ever think about what all this do to the future prospects of future trade in promos like this, and just to your karma in general?

Do you ever think about the employee who may be affected by your immoral actions, when they trusted you to follow basic rules and basic human decency; do you ever think about the people who will buy your consoles second hand, their frustration and hassle of returning; do you ever think about what all this do to the future prospects of future trade in promos like this, and just to your karma in general?
Not that I agree with trading in like 10 broken consoles, but have you seen the employees who work at Best Buy? Never helpful, too busy joking amongst each other to answer a question. They just don't give a shit. It's ridiculous really.

I would feel bad for the customer who bought it second hand, but if Best Buy isn't even checking to see if these consoles work, then that's their fault and they deserve the shit that comes with it.

It's funny how some are acting like Best Buy is doing us some favor, as if their not doing this promotion to make money.

Does this deal require you to turn in the controller too or just the console with the wiring and stuff.
Mine required the controller. They are hanging it on the "Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value" bit from the terms, I assume - at my place they didn't look up the terms to explain it to me, and my phone gets rotten reception in there so I couldn't argue with them. I guess I will go back with a controller later today.

Does anyone know if I need to have the sticker with the bar code on my DS3? GameStop wont take it without it and I want to trade that one in with my PS3 because its the oldest controller I have.

Tried to trade in my 360 today and got rejected because I didn't have the original controller that the console came with. Had a MS OEM Black controller... really best buy?

Not that I agree with trading in like 10 broken consoles, but have you seen the employees who work at Best Buy? Never helpful, too busy joking amongst each other to answer a question. They just don't give a shit. It's ridiculous really.

I would feel bad for the customer who bought it second hand, but if Best Buy isn't even checking to see if these consoles work, then that's their fault and they deserve the shit that comes with it.

It's funny how some are acting like Best Buy is doing us some favor, as if their not doing this promotion to make money.
Smh

I traded in my Arcade yesterday. No problems. In and out in a few mintes. Also, its pretty pathetic how people are trying to justify that stuff. You did something that wasn't right. At least own up to that.

bread's done
Back