Missed 5 years of PC gaming, what do I need to play?

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
I just built a gaming pc for the first time in around 7 years. The last games that I wanted to pay but couldn't were Dawn of War 2 and The Witcher so I've missed probably dozens of games in that time and it's time to catch up. I have been console gaming, so not really looking for any console games. I like pretty much every genre. Excited to see your recommendations and to start hitting up eBay.

Congrats on the build! The Steam summer sale should be coming up in a couple of weeks or so and there will most definitely be dozens of games to be had for just a couple bucks each.

I don't really play enough current games to recommend much, but Killing Floor and Civilization V are my favorite PC games from the last few years.

I second the Killing Floor recommendation. For PC exclusives, I would definitely throw the STALKER series out there. Those can be had really cheap during the Steam summer sale as well. If you are into Zombies, ARMA II Combined Operations with the DayZ mod is really popular right now. For adventure games, Gray Matter is a fun adventure game as is any game from Telltale games (though I think most are available on PSN or XBLA nowadays). I would definitely jump on the humble bundle right now, you still have about a day to get it and it is 8 great games for about a buck a piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Humbe Indie Bundle if you haven't already done so. As already mentioned, the Steam Summer sale should be coming up soon.

Here's some quick recommendations that aren't on consoles (IIRC):

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Cave Story +
Diablo Series
Jamestown
Killing Floor
Legend of Grimrock
Lone Survivor
Magicka
Penumbra Series
Starcraft series
Warcraft series
Titan Quest
Total War Series
VVVVVV
Guild Wars 2
Dustforce
Ys Series
STALKER series
Baldur's Gate series
Civilization series
Sim City series
Company of Heroes series
Cryostasis
The Binding of Isaac
ARMA II
Tribes Ascend

Torchlight 2 and Krater look interesting also.

You may end up buying some multiplats anyways also since sales are pretty frequent.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I know Skyrim and Oblivion have tons of user created content, is STALKER the same?[/QUOTE]

There are mods but it definitely can't compare to the quantity of content and player following that The Elder Scrolls has.

Need? Strong words for gaming.

What genres you looking to explore?

[quote name='Megazell']Need? Strong words for gaming.

What genres you looking to explore?[/QUOTE]

I enjoy everything on PC. Not really into sports, but I like strategy, RTS, WRPG and the occassional FPS.

Loved Company of Heroes... liked the setting (WW2)... liked the campaign... liked the "no resource gathering" but instead capturing resource points (making for an aggressive multi-player experience)... great graphics, great sounds.

Love Total War: Rome (although that was more than 5 years ago)... didn't feel the same way toward Total War: Medieval 2 (bought it when it came out but never got into it and always go back to Rome instead). The Total War games offer the turn based Strategy of a civilization game (on the campaign map), the real time battles of an RTS and even a little RPG element in trying to improve your general attributes and advisors.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Loved Company of Heroes... liked the setting (WW2)... liked the campaign... liked the "no resource gathering" but instead capturing resource points (making for an aggressive multi-player experience)... great graphics, great sounds.

Love Total War: Rome (although that was more than 5 years ago)... didn't feel the same way toward Total War: Medieval 2 (bought it when it came out but never got into it and always go back to Rome instead). The Total War games offer the turn based Strategy of a civilization game (on the campaign map), the real time battles of an RTS and even a little RPG element in trying to improve your general attributes and advisors.[/QUOTE]

I loved company of heroes. When I was deployed we'd play it multiplayer, I cant wait for the new one :)

[quote name='Rosterking']Age Of Empires: III :3
Minecraft (Why has no one said this?)
[/QUOTE]

It's not a game its an addiction...I've been minecrack clean for...well nevermind I have to restart my clock again :)

Guild wars is a good one, and with the sequel not coming out for a while it would give you time to build up and enjoy it. For as old as it is the graphics really held up.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I could never get into mine craft and I'm glad for it. Thanks for the suggestions so far.[/QUOTE]

Same here, bud. I could never see the appeal.

Have you jumped into any games yet? Gotten a Steam account?

I am currently in the same situation. I use to have only PS3 exclusively so mainly I'm looking at pc/xbox exclusives.

My personal list is...

Diablo 3 (waiting for a decent sale)
Left 4 Dead 2 (should've just gotten it on GameFly, but waiting on steam)
Dayz (waiting on sale for Arma II, which version do I need?)
Starcraft 2 (waiting for sale)
Battlefield 3 (not a exclusive, but meant to be played on the pc. waiting for a decent price for premium)
Bastion
Alan Wake
Metro 2033
and plenty more that I can't think of.

On side note
My build is...
i5 2500k
Sapphire Radeon 6950 2gb
8gb 1600mhz ram
Sandisk Extreme 240gb ssd

The only issue I have with my build is that stupid command screen popping up a startup, and the graphics looking too crisp (I think it's switching from the plasma tv to lcd monitor though)

[quote name='crystalklear64']world of warcraft[/QUOTE]

LOL... if you want to catch up on games, DO NOT play WoW. You'll be tempted to just play WoW, and not anything else.

Here's what I'd recommend (apologies, I didn't read the whole thread)- get Steam, and wait for sales. They have CRAZY sales all the time, and I have so many freakin games I don't have time to play them all.

BTW, I just purchased Diablo 3 because I doubt we'll see it on sale. I waited a long time to see Starcraft on sale, never saw one, and forgot about it. Now I'll just have to wait for the "battlechest".

There are also a lot of great indie games out now.

[quote name='red flare graf']Same here, bud. I could never see the appeal.

Have you jumped into any games yet? Gotten a Steam account?[/QUOTE]

I've been playing a ton of Company of Heroes. That game is really great, scratches the WWII itch and makes it feel simulation-like without being too complicated.

Also played some Crysis Warhead just to test the rig. Not an amazing game, but fun enough.

I'm really interested in the mechanics of Metro 2033 but I'm a baby, is it scary?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I've been playing a ton of Company of Heroes. That game is really great, scratches the WWII itch and makes it feel simulation-like without being too complicated.

Also played some Crysis Warhead just to test the rig. Not an amazing game, but fun enough.

I'm really interested in the mechanics of Metro 2033 but I'm a baby, is it scary?[/QUOTE]
if you got a steam account send me a PM we can get some multiplayer going

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I just built a gaming pc for the first time in around 7 years. The last games that I wanted to pay but couldn't were Dawn of War 2 and The Witcher so I've missed probably dozens of games in that time and it's time to catch up. I have been console gaming, so not really looking for any console games. I like pretty much every genre. Excited to see your recommendations and to start hitting up eBay.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you friend....rocking a P4 3.2Ghz-ATI X800 PRO :whistle2:(

Will be building a gaming rig 8-16-12....looking for to catching up on some great pc gaming. Picked up the 2K pak at amazon for $7.50....gonna keep buying up these steam deals til I build the new rig.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I've been playing a ton of Company of Heroes. That game is really great, scratches the WWII itch and makes it feel simulation-like without being too complicated.

I'm really interested in the mechanics of Metro 2033 but I'm a baby, is it scary?[/QUOTE]
Not really scary but very, very atmospheric so you could get scared by it depending on you.

bread's done
Back