MLB '08: The Show - Online League League Part 2 - [Temp. PPD]

I'm not in this league, but in the other CAG MLB league. If any of you guys would like to get a few practice games in with your squad and check out their rotation, I'd be willing to give you a go. I'm 12-1(got defaulted 1 game) in the league. So it should help keep me in form and give a lot of you guys a good gauge of your own abilities.

Just PM me if interested.

[quote name='cartman58']I still want a rematch. :hot:[/quote]

We can play for fun soon... I was just kidding around with that post anyway, I don't gloat, and you are good.

I don't know where I have been, but just noticed this thread. I missed out on the first go round. Is there any chance of me getting in? I notice the numbers are already even and balanced, so if not, I'll wait for the next time.

Thanks,
Keith

Also, anyone want to play, let me know, I'm not great - generally spazz out running the bases, etc, but give it a good try. :)

my id is cusemanKeith

Make sure when you set up the league you set Quick Play or Fast Play to YES... the game is slowed down big time when you have to watch all the cut scenes online... it also adds to the lag.

What's the deal? I haven't received a league invite yet...are we waiting a bit more?

Also, I sent buddy invites on both PSN and MLB buddy lists to all.

[quote name='nyprimus4']It will start this week.[/quote]

did u see my post about Fast Play... please set it to yes, the cut scenes are infinitely annoying online

[quote name='DestroVega']did u see my post about Fast Play... please set it to yes, the cut scenes are infinitely annoying online[/quote]

true that...anything that can possibly reduce lag is a necessity with this game!

I'll need to have Carmona in my starting rotation, but I'm not sure what else I'll need to change. Sabathia may be gone if a new roster update comes out soon, heh. If anyone wants to play anytime just hit me up on the PS3 at TheUMX.

I realized the guy who is the Brewers I never actually talked to. He probably doesn't even know about this. In the other league's thread he said he would be up for a new league so I PM'ed him but he never responded. We need another NL team.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Uh I'll take the Brew Crew and drop the Angels if that is OK with everyone?[/quote]

sabathia has tempted you

fine by me, although it upsets our NL, AL applecart... well, brewers WERE in the AL, 8 years ago or whenever

everyone shouldnt be too concerned with trades and stuff though, the rosters update every week and are the current team's staffs.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Uh I'll take the Brew Crew and drop the Angels if that is OK with everyone?[/quote]
You are still the Angels unless a new CAG requests an AL team.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Even online leagues are updated once their season's start?[/quote]

yup, the roster is current, even in leagues.

I nearly shit my pants when I heard Harden got traded to the Cubs about a hour ago, but am disappointed in the players it took to get him. I just hope they can resign him long term at season's end...

Man, A's fans can't catch a break. First Zito, then Haren, and now Harden. Oakland would probably be a WS contender if they kept guys like Byrnes, Swisher, Bradley, Tejada, Dye and Giambi.

[quote name='Supreme']Man, A's fans can't catch a break. First Zito, then Haren, and now Harden. Oakland would probably be a WS contender if they kept guys like Byrnes, Swisher, Bradley, Tejada, Dye and Giambi.[/QUOTE]

I dont know, I think Bean has done a really good job, they're not a huge market team so I cant fault him for losing free agents, but Zito's well a financial liability at this point. Haren's trade, well we'll see, they got 6 prospects if I remember right so who knows, the next Harden could be somewhere in there. I think the Swisher trade was a great move as well. A few young pitchers and Ryan Sweeney (hitting nearly .300 last time I checked). I cant argue that letting Tejada and Dye go were good ideas, but they couldn't afford them.

and dont forget what they got in this trade.

Gallahger, a fairly reliable spot-starter for the Cubs this year, Murton, ~.300 hitter with a bit of pop, but trumped in Chicago by 3 better outfielders. Patterson, who i am sad to see leave since he seems like a great bench player to have, and maybe fill in for Ellis if he departs. And a supposedly great Catching prospect (but very young atm). I think they did fine, except losing Gaudin, seemed like a cherry on the top for Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Supreme']Man, A's fans can't catch a break. First Zito, then Haren, and now Harden. Oakland would probably be a WS contender if they kept guys like Byrnes, Swisher, Bradley, Tejada, Dye and Giambi.[/quote]

Bro, their payroll would be 180+ and they wouldn't be all that much better off than they are now... the only guys you could argue keeping are Haren, Byrnes and maybe Dye.

Harden is always injured and the other guys aren't amazing. And Zito was a blessing, he sucks.

Whoa, ever heard about imagining? Obviously they couldn't afford all of them. I was just observing the talent that has gone through Oakland, without keeping one of them. You can't always hope your prospects blossom into stars. You're gonna need some vets in the mix. Yeah, they do a pretty good job with the team they've got, but if you wanna be a serious contender, you can't just stock up on guys with potential. Wouldn't you be even slightly upset that your team let go three top notch pitchers?

[quote name='Supreme']Whoa, ever heard about imagining? Obviously they couldn't afford all of them. I was just observing the talent that has gone through Oakland, without keeping one of them. You can't always hope your prospects blossom into stars. You're gonna need some vets in the mix. Yeah, they do a pretty good job with the team they've got, but if you wanna be a serious contender, you can't just stock up on guys with potential. Wouldn't you be even slightly upset that your team let go three top notch pitchers?[/quote]

I understand your point. The A's have basically turned into the Pirates (or the Expos of old) in the NL. They groom talent and then have to just turn it loose. They're essentially no better than a minor league club. What I can't defend, however, is the "small market" argument. With revenue sharing and smart management, it's possible for small payrolls to keep a few of their stars and be competitive. Look at the Rockies last year.

The A's just seem content with being an 80 win ball club. When's the last time they actually made a real push at the All-Star break? Most of the time, they're cashing in their chips and setting up their October golf dates at that point. I respect Beane's model, but at some point, you have to field a team with a chance to win. Otherwise, why bother?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I guess we're waiting for Zambrano to come off the DL? haha[/quote]
And Harden. :lol:

We need a 12th. RECRUIT SOMEONE!!

[quote name='nyprimus4']And Harden. :lol:

We need a 12th. RECRUIT SOMEONE!![/quote]

Haha, that's right. The new gun for hire. How could I forget?

About a new 12th guy, wasn't there a guy a couple pages back that we had to turn away? I can shoot him a PM and see if he's still interested.

I'm so tired and lazy if someone wants to figure out a 12th (and by figure I mean PM him and give him the details) lets get this thing going.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I'm so tired and lazy if someone wants to figure out a 12th (and by figure I mean PM him and give him the details) lets get this thing going.[/quote]

Already taken care of. I went back to page 3 to confirm my recollection, and shot him a PM. Hopefully he'll actually see it (PM's seem easier to overlook since the CAG redesign). Maybe we'll know something by tomorrow, and we can get this party started.

[quote name='Supreme']Whoa, ever heard about imagining? Obviously they couldn't afford all of them. I was just observing the talent that has gone through Oakland, without keeping one of them. You can't always hope your prospects blossom into stars. You're gonna need some vets in the mix. Yeah, they do a pretty good job with the team they've got, but if you wanna be a serious contender, you can't just stock up on guys with potential. Wouldn't you be even slightly upset that your team let go three top notch pitchers?[/quote]

I couldn't be upset by any pitcher Beane has let go of other than Haren.

Harden is always hurt, Zito is awful, and Mulder and Hudson were never as good as they were again.

He made the right moves on all accounts, and one year, they will just be so loaded with good young players they will get to a World Series.

[quote name='PapiChullo']So has the league actually been setup yet? Just want to make sure I didn't miss the invite or anything.[/quote]

No, we need a new 12th guy. I've been trying to get in touch with the guy who asked if he could be in the league a couple pages back, but he hasn't responded to my PM (not that PM's are easy to spot with the new CAG anyway). I'm about to hit up the original CAG league and see if anybody in there wants another go round.

Other than that, if anybody knows someone who wants to play, feel free to send them an invite. I'm scared we're going to stall so long that the original 11 will have lost interest by the time this damn thing gets going. nyprimus, YOU'RE still interested right? You talk about being lazy, haha. I just hope you're not growing bored of this idea since you're going to be the commish and all.

Finally noticed the pm!

Sure I'm in if you still need me - tell me what to do, and I really don't care which team.

Keith

no worries - what sucks is that in that 3 minutes, I was actually replying to the pm, not the group.

If anyone else drops out, let me know.

Keith

will take this out west, ill take the dodgers, psn name is humanoidtyph0on. just got this game on tuesday so dont beat me too bad.

LOL...sorry keith. I tried to give you a couple days before I even posted about needing a new guy anywhere else. We just need to get this thing started.

Now hopefully no one disappears mid-season...

[quote name='DestroVega']I couldn't be upset by any pitcher Beane has let go of other than Haren.

Harden is always hurt, Zito is awful, and Mulder and Hudson were never as good as they were again.

He made the right moves on all accounts, and one year, they will just be so loaded with good young players they will get to a World Series.[/quote]

No love for Hudson? He's been pretty consistent in Atlanta (minus one season). When Harden is healthy, he's a solid pitcher. He'll be good for the Cubs since they wanna win now (and they can). Zito and Mulder are just ugly trainwrecks. I mean, who knew Zito would suck this bad? I'm not too upset though. Harden (and Hudson and Harden before him) leaving the AL is just good news for me.

I really don't see the A's being a WS team if they keep trading away players. It's nice to have tons of prospects, but if they all come up at the same time and are all top notch, they're gonna want fat contracts. Then they'll be forced to trade players or let em go. Regardless, you can't win with a young team, just ask the D'backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back