MLB 10: The Show - March 2, 2010 - Full Online Season Leagues and Online Priority!

the graphics this year are scary good... looks like watching TV... it's hard to even tell the difference. seriously.

I can't wait for this game. I bought a PS3 just for The Show 08 and have since sold my 360. This is my favorite sports game on the PS3 by a large margin and i'm not even a huge baseball fan.

[quote name='DestroVega']the graphics this year are scary good... looks like watching TV... it's hard to even tell the difference. seriously.[/QUOTE]

They're not that good.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/mlb-10-the-show-catcher-calling-the-game/

Details on how you can call the game as a catcher in RTTS mode:
Hello again everyone. This is Eddy Cramm, Senior Designer for MLB 10: The Show, and I am here today to talk about the new Catcher Calling the Game feature. Catchy name, huh? Road to the Show, since its inception has been a very well received mode because it gives the gamer a very deep, realistic, and fun alternative to the traditional career mode. The mode allows you to create the guy you want to create, in the position you want him to play. Depending on the position that you choose, you will be asked to do different things in the field that are specific to your position. Last year, as we looked back on our game, there was one position we wanted to improve upon. That was the catcher.

In MLB 09: The Show, the catcher had the same basic responsibilities as any other fielder: Field balls in your area, cover your base. The only thing unique to the catcher was the task of throwing out base stealers. But as “baseball guys,” we know that the catcher is a lot more involved than that. The catcher is a key part of every single pitch in the game. He is arguably just as responsible for the outcome of a pitch as the pitcher. So when making MLB 10: The Show, we kept that in mind.

This year, we have added “calling pitch selection” and “calling pitch location” to your RttS catcher’s responsibilities. When you are in the game defensively as a catcher, you will be responsible to select the pitch that you want thrown. The system works just like it does for selecting pitches as the pitcher does. The pitcher might shake you off, or he might accept that pitch. If he does shake you off, you choose a pitch again. If you choose the same pitch, he will figure it’s really what you want and will accept it, at this point. Once you have selected the pitch, you will be responsible to select where you want the ball thrown. You can choose any of the nine zones within the strike zone, or you can choose eight areas outside of the zone if you want the ball off the plate (four outside edges and four outside corners). Now just like in real life, this doesn’t mean the pitcher will hit his spot. It just means this is where he is aiming. The better the pitcher you have throwing to you, the more effective your location calling will be.

Adding this has really made the Road to the Show catcher more involved in the game like you would expect him to be in real life. I hope you enjoy the new Catcher Calling the Game feature when it, and the rest of MLB 10 The Show hits shelves, March 2.

Ah, I think I might bite on this now. Gamestop.com has a really good promo going on pre-order games, allowing me to lock in a price of $38 on this. That's about as good for waiting a month or two and buying it used. Even if it's not worth $60, I'd be utterly disappointed if it's not worth $38.

[quote name='icedrake523']You think it's hard to tell the difference between this game and a real baseball game on TV? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Are you really that big of a troll? Seriously! The Show the past several seasons has had the best graphics out of any sports game ever made. The characters in terms of body shape leave a little bit to be desired. This is for an engine that has to take into account the stadium, the fans, lighting, 9 men on the field, batter, 4 umps, etc etc etc etc etc.

So yes, the graphics are that great. At times last year with 09 it felt like a live broadcast especially on a HDTV. I have had friends and read stories online about people not knowing it was a videogame thinking it was an actual game. I also believe Destro is over 30. So for us old folks who grew up on the Nintendo this is life like. None of us back then could have imagined technology gettting to this point. People whose first systems were the PS2 and Xbox are just spoiled

Here is a vid of the first ever baseball game that I ever owned 22 years ago. I would have thought you were crazy if you told me that a baseball game would be so close to the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNJfAVVQFIo

MLB The Show 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKa2ogxgjI

[quote name='Wpark83']I'll be in on any league/franchise mode that starts up.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Hopefully we get something started after the game comes out. Less than 2 weeks to go!!!

[quote name='wildcpac']Are you really that big of a troll? Seriously![/quote]
How am I a troll? Because I don't think this game is the paragon of sports video games? :roll:

Judging by footage and my roommate playing 09 last year, I don't see how one could be confused between in-game footage and a live broadcast.

I'm still getting the game and looking forward to it. Maybe when I play it myself, I will see.

BTW, my first console was a Genesis, not that it's relevant to this game's graphics.

[quote name='icedrake523']How am I a troll? Because I don't think this game is the paragon of sports video games? :roll:

Judging by footage and my roommate playing 09 last year, I don't see how one could be confused between in-game footage and a live broadcast.

I'm still getting the game and looking forward to it. Maybe when I play it myself, I will see.

BTW, my first console was a Genesis, not that it's relevant to this game's graphics.[/QUOTE]

The MLB The Show series to me has offered almost perfect gameplay. No other sports game in my opinion has been able to match the real thing as well as the Show. All of the extra features are just the icing on the cake. One can spend hundreds of hours alone just doing Road to the Show and never once get bored or touch a season/franchise mode.

The graphics are the very cream of the crop. The animations, accuracy of the stadiums, players faces, lighting, shadows, etc etc etc etc are all the best out of any sports game. One can make the argument that NBA 2k10 has better character models but that is due to not having to develop 40 plus ballparks, 700 plus players, etc etc.

You are a gamer so of course you could tell off the bat that it was a video game. A non gamer would have to look twice and it has happened numerous times.

[quote name='icedrake523']How am I a troll? Because I don't think this game is the paragon of sports video games? :roll:

BTW, my first console was a Genesis, not that it's relevant to this game's graphics.[/QUOTE]

I think the differentiation here is between looking as you're walking by and intently watching. I could easily see somebody walking past the TV (especially a non gamer), hearing the commentary, and seeing a batter swing at the ball and think it might be a real game.

But if you sit and watch it for 5 minutes, sure, you'll find things that blatantly give it away as being a video game. I don't think the graphics are photo realistic, but they're close enough to fool some of the people some of the time.

Now, if the person watched you playing MLB 09, however, they'd be like "Hey! How come the guy can't check his swing?!? This isn't a real game!" haha :)

[quote name='wildcpac']You can check your swing in 09 but you cant do it on a power swing.[/QUOTE]

It's possible, sure. But the mechanic was greatly changed from 08. It didn't work nearly as well...and it didn't really work online at all. I felt the change was for the worse.

Absolutely, I've had a few non-gamers say they thought I was watching a real game and not playing a video game... even with last years game.

I'm very interested in joining a online CAG league this year. If anybody needs somebody to represent the Baltimore Orioles, I'm more than willing to fill that spot.

MLB '10: The Show is my most anticipated Winter release for 2010 and I plan to play a lot of baseball again on my PS3. I took cupcake teams to the World Series in 2008 and 2009 so for 2010, I'm going to play as a mediocre team. Hence, the Orioles.

[quote name='wildcpac']Demo is out today. 99.99999 percent likely.[/QUOTE]

I just checked and it's not up yet. I'll be going over it meticulously this year though. Really curious to see what's different from last year.

Demo SHOULD be out next Thursday. 100 percent likely.

On another note, does anyone know when the Amazon preorder bonus ends? Does it end when the game comes out March 2nd? I'm probably going to get it first week of March (no dinero right now)

[quote name='madbst']Demo SHOULD be out next Thursday. 100 percent likely.[/QUOTE]

Haha, well there's only 2 weeks till release. It's either next week or "thanks for nothin". I gotta say though, I really wouldn't even be impressed with releasing the demo one week before launch. That makes me kinda nervous. The demo was definitely up by this point last year, and I don't see much of a reason to hold it back unless it's just "not ready". SCEA better have their shit together.

Not that 2K can even be considered a viable alternative at this point, but Visual Concepts did have a full development cycle this year. Early previews have said the game looks greatly improved. It would be a mistake to snooze on the competition.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I'm very interested in joining a online CAG league this year. If anybody needs somebody to represent the Baltimore Orioles, I'm more than willing to fill that spot.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately we didn't finish the league in MLB 09, but hopefully we can this year with all of the supposed improvements to online play.

Hopefully n8 will want to run the league...

[quote name='yukine']Unfortunately we didn't finish the league in MLB 09, but hopefully we can this year with all of the supposed improvements to online play.

Hopefully n8 will want to run the league...[/QUOTE]

Well, this is a shitty MLB 10 day for me. In addition to no demo, Gamestop cancelled my order that I had locked in for $38, so I don't know when/if I'll be picking this up. The demo is going to have to really blow me away now for me to consider paying full price.

As far as running the league...I don't know. I kinda feel like I did a shitty job last year anyway. There are a lot of people in here who could do it. And with my acquisition of the game being unknown, you guys would probably be better off with somebody a little more committed anyway.

We also should think about how we want to do it this year...ie. fantasy draft or not. If not, I say we have a lottery to pick teams again. I think those are the only two ways to do it that's fair for all involved.

If nobody else volunteers, I'll take over the CAG league. If it is me, I'll listen to all kinds of ideas (fantasy draft, ect.)

If I did run a CAG MLB 10 The Show league, would you guys be interested in a Fantasy Draft because that is what I would favor. I would have some type of lottery to decide the draft order.

[quote name='Josh5890']If I did run a CAG MLB 10 The Show league, would you guys be interested in a Fantasy Draft because that is what I would favor. I would have some type of lottery to decide the draft order.[/QUOTE]

I'll give my two cents in case I am able to find a good deal on the game. Doing the fantasy draft was actually one of the best things about last year's attempt at the league. Granted...if it didn't have tons of glitches, make free agent players unuseable, and crash completely in the last 5 rounds, it would have been even more enjoyable.

But I thought the process of hand crafting YOUR personal team was really fun. I enjoyed doing the same thing in the Madden league I played in this past year. I know some people didn't play in the league because we did do a fantasy draft and they preferred everything to be realistic...but I still think it's the best way to keep everybody from fighting over the Yankees, haha. And yeah, draft lottery is the way to go. Last year, we did two lotteries. One for team selection and one for player selection.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I'm very interested in joining a online CAG league this year. If anybody needs somebody to represent the Baltimore Orioles, I'm more than willing to fill that spot.

MLB '10: The Show is my most anticipated Winter release for 2010 and I plan to play a lot of baseball again on my PS3. I took cupcake teams to the World Series in 2008 and 2009 so for 2010, I'm going to play as a mediocre team. Hence, the Orioles.[/QUOTE]

You consider a team with Wieters, Adam Jones, Markakis, Reimold, Roberts, Tejada, Luke Scott, Atkins (prob awful, but used to be decent) to be mediocre? I beg to differ..and thats coming from a Red Sox fan.

They also have a young core of top grade pitching prospects in Matsus, Tillman, and Arrieta. Dont sleep on the Orioles.

Gamestop cancelled my $38 pre-order as well. I'd be very interested in a league but I cant justify paying $60 for any sports games that wont be relevant a year from now.

Its like Gamestop doesnt want our money...

[quote name='Dahk']Gamestop cancelled my $38 pre-order as well. I'd be very interested in a league but I cant justify paying $60 for any sports games that wont be relevant a year from now.

Its like Gamestop doesnt want our money...[/QUOTE]

People sleep on the Orioles because they have to play 18 games a year against the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees. Thats at least 35 losses right there. Throw in the Blue Jays and for arguments sake, thats 45-50 losses just from playing division games.

Why did gamestop cancel your preorder? They dont want your money when they are selling the game at a loss.

38 is a loss for them? I didnt know that.

I guess they were basically selling AC2 and Darksiders for even money the past weeks they were on sale. That doesnt seem very Gamestop-like.

Back OT: I really want this game. Hopefully there will be a solid deal within a month after it releases.

[quote name='Dahk']38 is a loss for them? I didnt know that.

I guess they were basically selling AC2 and Darksiders for even money the past weeks they were on sale. That doesnt seem very Gamestop-like.

Back OT: I really want this game. Hopefully there will be a solid deal within a month after it releases.[/QUOTE]

How much do you think they pay for each new copy of a videogame in an initial order from Sony? 40? 45? Selling you a copy at 38 is losing money.

You aren't going to find that good of a deal on the game within a month. A friend of mine bought MLB 09 The Show for $55 used from gamestop in early August last year. Even if you find the game for $50 used online you are still going to have to pay for shipping. Plus this isn't the kind of game that gets put online used within 1 month because you can play it and beat it in less than 20 hours. People know that they are going to get hundreds of hours of great gameplay.

For the lazy:
Aaron Luke here to bring you the next edition of the MLB 10: The Show posts. This entry will discuss the additions made to the MLB All-Star Week festivities.

When we set out at the beginning of the year, one area we knew needed to be addressed was the addition of the Home Run Derby. As we began to dive into the feature, we thought rather than just offering it as a stand-alone feature (which it is), why not include it into all season-based modes’ MLB All-Star Week festivities. Now when you’re playing in Season, Franchise or Road To The Show, you’ll have the opportunity to play in the Home Run Derby.

When playing the Home Run Derby, you have the choice to set which players are controlled by player 1, player 2, or the CPU – except in RTTS, where you only get to control your created player. You also will have fast-forwarding abilities, in case you want to skip the CPU-controlled player’s at bats.

After tackling the Home Run Derby addition, we thought why not go all-in and include the All-Star Futures Game as well. So, we’ve done just that. Now you get the full All-Star package. The All-Star Futures Game is available in both Franchise and Road To The Show – and just the same as the derby, in RTTS you will only have the opportunity to participate if your player was selected.

As you can see, we’ve paid a lot of attention to offering you as much of the MLB All-Star Week festivities as we can. These enhancements are available in all of our season-based modes, with the exception of the All-Star Futures Game, which is available in Franchise and Road To The Show only.

Trailer: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/805/0

[quote name='wildcpac']How much do you think they pay for each new copy of a videogame in an initial order from Sony? 40? 45? Selling you a copy at 38 is losing money.

You aren't going to find that good of a deal on the game within a month. A friend of mine bought MLB 09 The Show for $55 used from gamestop in early August last year. Even if you find the game for $50 used online you are still going to have to pay for shipping. Plus this isn't the kind of game that gets put online used within 1 month because you can play it and beat it in less than 20 hours. People know that they are going to get hundreds of hours of great gameplay.[/QUOTE]

::shrugs:: I got Madden '10 for $19.xx shipped brand new from Amazon about 2 months after release.

Man I miss those video game lightning deals combined with ECA :)

[quote name='Dahk']Gamestop cancelled my $38 pre-order as well. I'd be very interested in a league but I cant justify paying $60 for any sports games that wont be relevant a year from now.

Its like Gamestop doesnt want our money...[/QUOTE]
Sell the game before it drops in value, this series actually maintains a decent value for most of the year. I sold MLB 09 for around $36.00 in November.

[quote name='Dahk']::shrugs:: I got Madden '10 for $19.xx shipped brand new from Amazon about 2 months after release.

Man I miss those video game lightning deals combined with ECA :)[/QUOTE]

Couple of things.

1. It is likely for MLB 10 to go on sale but I cannot picture it being cheaper than 45 at any point during the summer.

2. Madden is not as great as it once was. The season mode is only 16 games. 1 can get their fix of an NFL game in 20 hours and trade it in and diminish the new value.

3. The Show has a 162 game season mode that I picture most play 1 game a day over the course of 6 months. I put in a good 60 hours alone into RTTS. It's not a game you trade in immediately. Especially with the baseball season lasting til October. I can picture people trading in their games come September when Madden/NFL season starts.

[quote name='wildcpac']You aren't going to find that good of a deal on the game within a month. A friend of mine bought MLB 09 The Show for $55 used from gamestop in early August last year. Even if you find the game for $50 used online you are still going to have to pay for shipping. Plus this isn't the kind of game that gets put online used within 1 month because you can play it and beat it in less than 20 hours. People know that they are going to get hundreds of hours of great gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the RETAIL price of this game will not drop for a very long time (I preached this very same thing to others last year). But, I can also promise you that somebody will trade the game in within its first week of release. Someone just won't like it, and they'll trade it in. Happens with every new release. Between Gamestop and GoHastings, I would be pretty surprised if I wasn't find a deal on it in that timespan.

Yes, Gamestop will have it for $55, but who knows...maybe they'll actually have a decent coupon again by that time. A 20% coupon + Edge would yield a price of about $40. And GoHastings routinely has great used prices. At this point, that's what I'm aiming for. Unless the game proves to have corrected last year's shortcomings, it won't be worth more than that. To me, this was the consequence for the things I didn't like about last year's game. SCEA lost my pre-order loyalty. If I find the game used and make them lose out of the profit from the sale, then so be it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I agree that the RETAIL price of this game will not drop for a very long time (I preached this very same thing to others last year). But, I can also promise you that somebody will trade the game in within its first week of release. Someone just won't like it, and they'll trade it in. Happens with every new release. Between Gamestop and GoHastings, I would be pretty surprised if I wasn't find a deal on it in that timespan.

Yes, Gamestop will have it for $55, but who knows...maybe they'll actually have a decent coupon again by that time. A 20% coupon + Edge would yield a price of about $40. And GoHastings routinely has great used prices. At this point, that's what I'm aiming for. Unless the game proves to have corrected last year's shortcomings, it won't be worth more than that. To me, this was the consequence for the things I didn't like about last year's game. SCEA lost my pre-order loyalty. If I find the game used and make them lose out of the profit from the sale, then so be it.[/QUOTE]

Short comings? I know that the online wasn't up to par and that some of the goals in RTTS were silly but it was still the best sports game ever. I put at the very least 60 hours into RTTS and enjoyed every single minute. I am sorry but you are coming off as a very hard person to please when you talk about a couple of shortcomings with a game that did 95 percent of it great. It's even more sad that you think you are showing SCEA by buying the game used at Gamestop. SCEA has put out the best sports game and the best baseball game the last 4 years and will continue that again this year. So you rather give your money to Greedy Gamestop. That sure is showing the system.

Yes and you are right that someone will trade it in. Some big baby who thinks the hitting is too hard and even though they swung perfectly on a fastball it should be a homerun 100/100 times. I rather pay full price for a great game than have to drive over to gamestop and deal with a bunch of dorks who haggle strategy guides, videogame protection plans and pre order bs. Also are going to have to deal with others looking for the game used. I'll pass and pay full price for a game that can give me at the very least 200 hours of enjoyment over the course of the next 6-8 months.

This game is damn near impossible to find used for the first two months. Ive tried the last 2 years. Im gonna bite the bullet and get it full price this time

You bring up excellent points wildcpac.

I do know of the addiction and constant replay value as I played '08 and '09 on my ps2 religiously. Maybe I'll bit the bullet and pay full price for this one.

[quote name='wildcpac']Short comings?[/QUOTE]

*sigh* I was hoping this wouldn't be necessary, but since only one person can be right, here we go.

I'm putting this in spoilers because I know a lot of people are tired of this discussion. I'm just surprised some people are still unaware of the issues. Although, it's not surprising it's the same person who thinks the "Roid Sox" were the only team to use steroids (can't believe I'm defending Boston to put down a fellow Yankee fan...a cold day in hell, indeed).

MLB 09's Shortcomings
When the game shipped, it featured numerous bugs both online and offline.
1. Lag was horrible in online games, making many of them near unplayable
2. There was a massive glitch when playing RTTS games that caused the game to crash and sent you back to the XMB. It would also corrupt save files, forcing many to have to redo their RTTS careers.
3. The Cubs were scheduled as having all night games.
4. CPU lineups were drastically screwed up. The game did things like have David Ortiz and Todd Helton leading off. And even when you set CPU roster control to ON (meaning you control their rosters), the lineups only stuck until the game started...at which point they would revert to whatever the CPU wanted.
5. When loading saved roster files, there was some kind of glitch that swapped player's career stats. A-Rod would have Mark Teixeira's career stats, Tex would have Damon's. It was just a mess.
When doing an online league, any player who was listed on the "free agents" list in the default roster could not be used. He could be drafted, but the game would put him on your AAA squad, which you did not have access to. This caused some people to have less than 25 players.
7. When doing an online fantasy draft, the game would crash during the last 5 rounds of the draft and autocomplete the draft for you. This happened every single time. For our particular draft, the game decided to get stuck in round 23, and it took us 3-4 days for the draft to complete. Basically, it didn't finish until the person whose turn it was signed in and checked their draft board. But the player could also not make the choice himself because the game thought the draft was over and showed that you had -124:34 to make your selection. You just had to sign in to let the game autodraft for you. We had to do this for every person for 2 full rounds.

On 4/9/09, Sony announced a patch to fix these issues. This is from their official statement:
http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=308848

On behalf of the entire MLB The Show development team we would like to take this time to first thank everyone for playing MLB 09 and being so patient with us as we work through some of the issues the community has experienced. We are very aware of these problems and we would like to announce that we are indeed working on a patch to fix the most glaring offline and online bugs and glitches you have encountered in this years game. When the patch is ready for deployment we will give an update with the contents of the patch.

In meantime, we have found a work around for one of the most glaring bugs, the Road to the Show crash. If you skip all training sessions (batting and base running) during the month of September you should be fine. We know this is not ideal, however until the patch is ready for public release this will allow you to continue playing your RTTS save files (if the save file is before entering a training session). We take these issues and concerns very seriously and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Once again, thank you for your time and your patience. We will update the community as soon as the patch release date is set.
This patch fixed SOME of the problems, but created new ones. Online play was still laggy, career stats were still screwed up beyond belief, RTTS was still being worked on (but they did give that "great" workaround!) and the patch now created a problem for Franchise seasons that had already been started.

This happened because when they were fixing the Cubs "all night games" problem, they somehow added an extra game, and it crashed the system. So, every time people would reach that point in the schedule (playing as one of the two teams involved), their franchise would crash. Their only fix was to start over.

A second patch was released on 4/27/09. They were finally able to fix the RTTS crashing problem (or were they? see link:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?message.uid=42140179), but not much else. Most of the things they claimed to have fixed still didn't work right, and in fact, they ONCE AGAIN created a new problem.

In "fixing" Franchise mode and trying to prevent people's systems from crashing, they had now somehow lost the in-game replay cutscenes (including game highlights) and the ability to record videos was no longer functional. As a result, a third patch was released on 5/19/09. This patch was accompanied with a tiny note from Sony stating "Description: Replay/Highlight issue addressed."

The rest of the bugs that were never conquered were left in the game. CPU lineups never stuck properly, online lag was never corrected, and career stats from saved roster files were still screwed up.

There were other smaller bugs as well, but these were the ones that affected me and made me take notice. I'm sorry, but if you don't think that list of issues and the fact that three patches were needed is enough to lose A LITTLE faith in this series, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't like it when games use patches as a crutch for sloppy programming, and then even when they do address an issue, it creates other problems.

And this doesn't even begin to address any actual gameplay preferences which can be a matter of opinion. This is just sloppy programming. All you have to do is Google "MLB 09 patch" to see all the upset customers. But yeah, you won't see that in a game review. This is why I said "Unless the game proves to have corrected last year's shortcomings, it won't be worth more than $40." This is exactly what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']Although, it's not surprising it's the same person who thinks the "Roid Sox" were the only team to use steroids (can't believe I'm defending Boston to put down a fellow Yankee fan...a cold day in hell, indeed).
[/QUOTE]

Right. I didnt notice that this wildcpac was the same clown that bashes everything related to Boston sports. I've never seen a kid with such a massive hard-on for us.

I've lived in Mass my whole life and while I dont like New York sports teams, I do enjoy the rivalry and the interest it creates in the games played between us.

The name calling and insults are just childish though.

bread's done
Back