MLB 11: The Show - March 8 - Analog Controls, Co-op, RttS 5.0, & More - Demo Out 2/22

If you don't like one aspect of The Show not getting big changes, then enjoy 2K11, as they've done nothing for the whole game. If it's just a polished version of 2K10, it's a decent game of baseball that can be enjoyed as long as you don't expect much from it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Surprised ssjmichael didn't post this in here, but for those who haven't seen it, Modell's is currently screwing themselves over by allowing videogames to be part of their spend $49+ get 40% off and free shipping sale. MLB 11: The Show for $35.99 or MLB 2K11 for $32.99.

http://www.modells.com/product/inde...Id=&kw=ps3&origkw=ps3&sr=1&s=D-StorePrice-MOD

I decided to pick up MLB 2K11 just to give me a change of pace. At least my frustrations will be new this year.[/QUOTE]

Good deal, I was going to pick it up but $26 shipping kills it for me. I hate Alaska.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you don't like one aspect of The Show not getting big changes, then enjoy 2K11, as they've done nothing for the whole game. If it's just a polished version of 2K10, it's a decent game of baseball that can be enjoyed as long as you don't expect much from it.[/QUOTE]

That's basically the view point I'm going in with. I haven't played a 2K baseball game since 2K7. I just needed a change of pace. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wow, so advanced stats are now in MLB: The Show!

... as paid DLC.

Seriously, what the hell. And the six classic stadiums DLC were in last year's game as DLC. That's lazy, and I'm not supporting Sony for that. Looks like I'm sticking with 09 again.

I like that you say that you're not biased, but continue to try to shove any negatives in our faces like we should now acknowledge MLB 11 as a terrible game on the level of MLB 2K8. You've already made your point, so what's gain from coming back once more to put your nail in the coffin?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I like that you say that you're not biased, but continue to try to shove any negatives in our faces like we should now acknowledge MLB 11 as a terrible game on the level of MLB 2K8. You've already made your point, so what's gain from coming back once more to put your nail in the coffin?[/QUOTE]

For the most part, you're right. Hopefully I'm preaching to the choir at this point. It was just sad seeing people in the Modell's deal thread thinking they could buy this game and start an online league. That might as well be false advertising. I never said The Show was a "terrible game". Just that they know jack shit about coding online play. That's all. I do hope you guys get a lot of single player enjoyment out of it at least. I won't say anything more about it in this thread.

You imply it, like always, but as long as you admit to your trolling, then I'm good. Your complaint about online play and analog/button control will still persist in 2K11, as I don't believe they regulate that stuff either.

Nice, I know what that glitch is without even loading the video. So there's been a glitch in PNC Park for three iterations (might be in 08 and earlier, as far as I know; I have 09) of The Show.

I've hit so many inside the park HR with my Pirates RTTS character because of that glitch. It's ridiculous. Seriously, at least 25.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Just got the game today, its good but I already ran into a weird glitch. [/QUOTE]

That's not a glitch, that's just Pirates Baseball.

I tried out the Move stuff for the Home Run Derby and works really well. So much so that I'm hoping that they get it fully integrated into the full game for MLB 12 since it's much easier to understand right away than the analog batting does. The only knock is that you need to bat in a lefty stance for lefty batters and righty stance for righty batters, which I understand why that's the case but that still doesn't keep it from being weird to be forced to bat in an unnatural stance. It would definitely work well for RTTS at least.

When are we finally going to be able to carry over a franchise from a previous game?? i still have not finished my season for the show 10 and i have grown fond of my team. That is the only thing stopping me from picking up show 11.

[quote name='EdoubleZ']When are we finally going to be able to carry over a franchise from a previous game?? i still have not finished my season for the show 10 and i have grown fond of my team. That is the only thing stopping me from picking up show 11.[/QUOTE]

I'd appreciate this feature too. It would probably be a nightmare when determining what data to dump and what data to update stats and roster-wise, which is the only reason you'd want to carry your team forward.

I'm playing the game for the first time ever (just got my PS3 last November), so I fired up my RTTS after a couple of exhibition games. I'm pretty sure I'm the worst-fielding shortstop ever--I'm making 5 throwing errors a game. Throw meter in the red, and it's over the first baseman's head; throw meter in the green or yellow, and the throw one-hops over there and gets dropped. Ugh. Any suggestions?

[quote name='geigerm']I'm playing the game for the first time ever (just got my PS3 last November), so I fired up my RTTS after a couple of exhibition games. I'm pretty sure I'm the worst-fielding shortstop ever--I'm making 5 throwing errors a game. Throw meter in the red, and it's over the first baseman's head; throw meter in the green or yellow, and the throw one-hops over there and gets dropped. Ugh. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

are you using the analog controls? I switched mine to buttons which I find better/easier. In RTTS you also have the ability to improve your fielding abilities by allocating your training points to the respective areas. I chose to be a first baseman so I don't have to worry too much about fielding

Depends if you're more interested in Road to the Show or just franchise mode. You can get away with 10 if you only care about franchise, but 11 is a must if you play career modes more since the changes are a big upgrade.

[quote name='ssjmichael']are you using the analog controls? I switched mine to buttons which I find better/easier. In RTTS you also have the ability to improve your fielding abilities by allocating your training points to the respective areas. I chose to be a first baseman so I don't have to worry too much about fielding[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm using analog--I'll try the buttons.

I also couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat right now, but I'm assuming that's part of the learning curve.

finally got around to playing HR Derby with the PS Move. It's really quite fun and works very well. It took some adjusting to get used to not seeing a player, and batting as a left hander but I was still able to launch some huge long balls. The accuracy was spot-on I felt. It also gave my arm quite a workout. I'd definitely like to see this as an option in regular games next year.

I like how they removed some of the unrealistic goals in RttS but I'm not liking some of the changes. The new system seems a bit out of whack to me. I get the same or less points for a seeing eye single as grounding into a double play? I routinely see "Good" ratings given for flyouts. Granted I may have hit the ball hard but it's still an out and should never be above "OK" unless it was a sac fly or a grounder that drove in a run.

Does the manager even interact with you on the field at all now? I haven't seen a hit and run called yet, no notice to run when the count is 3-2 with 2 outs (probably every baseball fan knows this but still...), never get a take or swing away sign and a suicide squeeze was called while I was on base without me getting any advance warning.

It depends on the details of the at-bat. Did you work the count or just make contact with the first pitch you saw?

They favor multiple-pitch at-bats and at least getting wood on the ball over the typical swing at everything and strike out a lot style that most people have. If you were penalized for every out you made, progress would be a lot slower since you only get hits about 3/10 of the time.

Hit and runs were goals, so they went with the rest of the goals. They rarely ever worked for me since you had to hope that you got a good pitch to hit for it to work or the runner would be thrown out every time.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It depends on the details of the at-bat. Did you work the count or just make contact with the first pitch you saw?

They favor multiple-pitch at-bats and at least getting wood on the ball over the typical swing at everything and strike out a lot style that most people have. If you were penalized for every out you made, progress would be a lot slower since you only get hits about 3/10 of the time.

Hit and runs were goals, so they went with the rest of the goals. They rarely ever worked for me since you had to hope that you got a good pitch to hit for it to work or the runner would be thrown out every time.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I work the count but I can also be a pretty free swinger...23 Ks in 100 ABs so far. The thing that bothers me is I should be getting 0 or maybe even negative for hitting into a double play. I don't care how many pitches it took for me to do so. I also shouldn't be getting 11 points for flying out when I only get 5 for a base hit that snuck through.

I am glad the unrealistic hit and runs on the first pitch are gone but I guess I was hoping for a more dynamic manager that would call things on the fly. I saw something elsewhere about signs but I have yet to notice these. If they are there, the game hasn't done a good job letting me know about them.

The full minor league rosters over at Operation Sports just got released earlier tonight. Cant wait to start my franchise with them.

So the take I'm getting is if franchise is my main mode, just wait for a price drop or wait till next year since I haven't finished a full season in MLB 10 yet, right?

bread's done
Back