MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

[quote name='speedracer']You either win now or win later. Unless you can buy an entire team every year (and only two teams can do that), you have to make that choice. The Phils have a solid but aging core.[/QUOTE]

Actually more teams than 2 have the resources to do that, there just only happen to be two with both the inclination and also the intelligence to do it correctly. The Yankees and Sox (I'll assume that's who you're talking about) are hardly the only rich kids on the block.

[quote name='bvharris']Actually more teams than 2 have the resources to do that, there just only happen to be two with both the inclination and also the intelligence to do it correctly. The Yankees and Sox (I'll assume that's who you're talking about) are hardly the only rich kids on the block.[/QUOTE]

Haha, really. I get a kick out of people who act like places like Chicago or Los Angeles are "small towns" with no money. If they hired the right people, teams in those places could compete year in and year out. It's just like people forgetting that the Mets have the same benefits as the Yankees, and they've still been terrible lately. There's plenty of bad players in baseball willing to be overpaid. It takes a lot more than money to win.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Haha, really. I get a kick out of people who act like places like Chicago or Los Angeles are "small towns" with no money. If they hired the right people, teams in those places could compete year in and year out. It's just like people forgetting that the Mets have the same benefits as the Yankees, and they've still been terrible lately. There's plenty of bad players in baseball willing to be overpaid. It takes a lot more than money to win.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. As we have mentioned in these threads before, no one was really crying about money when the Yankees were getting knocked out of the playoffs early every year and didn't make it in '08. The cries about money only started when signed the big three after '08 and won in '09.

Anyway, now that Lee is off the market, I hope the Yankees do not make some awful trade. Word is, the Royals feel like they have all the leverage and want multiple top-flight prospects for Greinke. So, even if he was willing to waive his no-trade, I would not take the risk of losing top prospects just so Greinke can fall apart in New York.

To me, the best thing for the Yankees to do now is convince Andy to come back and try to load up on low-risk, high-reward guys going into Spring Training. They've already taken the first step in signing Mark Prior to a minor-league deal, but it's unlikely that's going to produce anything. But there is a surprisingly high number of All-Star level pitchers out there who will come cheap due to injury issues.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Haha, really. I get a kick out of people who act like places like Chicago or Los Angeles are "small towns" with no money. If they hired the right people, teams in those places could compete year in and year out. It's just like people forgetting that the Mets have the same benefits as the Yankees, and they've still been terrible lately. There's plenty of bad players in baseball willing to be overpaid. It takes a lot more than money to win.[/QUOTE]

The Dodgers are pretty hamstrung. Speedracer could probably detail better than I could, but McCourt's divorce has been a massive black cloud over the organization.

hey we consistently had a top 5 payroll and only have chokes and 4th place finishes to show for it.oh yeah a 1 SO away from the WS series too....so yeah again...payrolls mean barely anything if the resources aren't used right. Thanks to the Minaya regime's idiocy, it sets the Mets back another 2-3. That 2-3 years of me not caring how the season goes because at this point ill be surprised if they get anything but 4th place again this year.

cliff lee doesnt help my cause. In series with them...where the Mets have trouble hitting a fly...it will be sweeps all over the place. Man, it sucks to be shit and be in teh NL East.

At least the Mets are just rebuilding now. By the time they are getting back on their feet Lee and Halladay will be getting up in age.

I think the Yankees dodged a bullet by not getting Lee. He is going to the NL so who cares? He would be a steal for $60M over 3 years but I'm sorry, the guy has been a beast lately but he has only really had 2.5 really good years in the majors. There's no way to predict how he will pitch into his late 30s. They need to stay away from Grienke too - the guy has social anxiety issues - NYC is not the place for him.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Red Sox to sign Jenks, use him as the set-up man this year, and he'll take over as the closer in 2012.[/QUOTE]

Daniel Bard will be the Red Sox closer after Papelbon is gone, I will put money on it. I'm sure they told Jenks he'd have a chance to compete for the role, and maybe he will, but it will almost certainly be Bard (as it should be).

I like the signing though, can never have too many guys in the pen, and Jenks has certainly had some success in his career.

[quote name='DomLando']At least the Mets are just rebuilding now. By the time they are getting back on their feet Lee and Halladay will be getting up in age.[/QUOTE]

true dat. We have nothing to look forward to in the next 2-3 years so at least that gives Alderson and Co. too start building the team in a better direction than the Omar Regime.

[quote name='javeryh']I think the Yankees dodged a bullet by not getting Lee. He is going to the NL so who cares? He would be a steal for $60M over 3 years but I'm sorry, the guy has been a beast lately but he has only really had 2.5 really good years in the majors. There's no way to predict how he will pitch into his late 30s. They need to stay away from Grienke too - the guy has social anxiety issues - NYC is not the place for him.[/QUOTE]

The whole rotation itself will be in their late 30s..and their health issues will be even more for a cause of concern. Lee has chronic back problems as is. So i agree 3 years max is their window to get another championship(s)

[quote name='integralsmatic']true dat. We have nothing to look forward to in the next 2-3 years so at least that gives Alderson and Co. too start building the team in a better direction than the Omar Regime.

The whole rotation itself will be in their late 30s..and their health issues will be even more for a cause of concern. Lee has chronic back problems as is. So i agree 3 years max is their window to get another championship(s)[/QUOTE]

Some other arm will become available anyway - if not next year then the year after. The Yankees can always reload for another WS run. The single biggest killer for that franchise is going to be when Mo retires. That guy should be a unanimous first ballot HOFer. He is the best ever at one of the most important positions.

I'm just happy the Mets weren't the ones that paid for Werth. For once I'm happy they aren't doing anything this off season.

[quote name='austenwithane']While yes the Phillies paid for Lee & Halladay, it's not the same as what the Yankees do. They didn't over bid EVERY other team in the market. Actually they found two guys who took under market value (set by the Yankees I might add) to play for them. Yes - their payroll is up there, but it's merely a factor of the market. They're not driving it, just living in it.[/QUOTE]

You are crazy if you think Philadelphia is some sort of plucky small market team standing up to the big boys. They are the Yankees of the National League (I would say the Mets are since they spend big but they aren't run nearly as well). They have at least 6 or 7 guys making over $10M per year and 3 making at or near $20M. Their payroll has to be the highest in the NL right now.

[quote name='javeryh']You are crazy if you think Philadelphia is some sort of plucky small market team standing up to the big boys. They are the Yankees of the National League (I would say the Mets are since they spend big but they aren't run nearly as well). They have at least 6 or 7 guys making over $10M per year and 3 making at or near $20M. Their payroll has to be the highest in the NL right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he means the Phillies don't go after every high profile free agent year after year the way the Yankees and Red Sox do.

I couldn't find salary lists for 2011, but for 2010 Phillies were second highest with almost 142k behind the Cubs with over 142k. Alfonso Soriano was the highest paid on the Cubs making 19 mil last year, yikes!

[quote name='bvharris']Daniel Bard will be the Red Sox closer after Papelbon is gone, I will put money on it. I'm sure they told Jenks he'd have a chance to compete for the role, and maybe he will, but it will almost certainly be Bard (as it should be).[/QUOTE]

Actually meant to say he will compete for the role next season. Don't know why I said he would become the closer.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm pretty sure he means the Phillies don't go after every high profile free agent year after year the way the Yankees and Red Sox do.[/QUOTE]

I guess I can see that but the 2000s Phillies are the 1990s Yankees to me. A great group of home grown talent plus a lot of high priced free agents. They aren't as blatant about it as the Yankees are but the results are the same.

Heard a tidbit while reading an article that Ruben Amaro and co. were actually in the race in the whole time, but kept their intentions completely silent, fearful that if the Yankees knew they were involved, they would drive the price up even more than they already did.

In the end it didn't really matter, as Lee said "when you get to a certain level, enough is enough (money)"

Cubs offseason checklist:

Power hitting 1st baseman: Carlos Pena
All Star calibar set-up man: Kerry Wood
Starting pitcher: ?????
Clutch, high average middle infielder: ?????
Clutch bench bat: ?????

Excellent start, but still have some work to do.

Didn't they sign Wood for like $1.5 mill? That's a fucking steal, if so. Was he intent on returning to the Cubs or something? I cannot believe the Yankees didn't make him a deal if he was willing to go so cheap and still be a set-up man. I figured that, after the way he pitched with the Yankees, he'd be looking to get a closing gig somewhere.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Didn't they sign Wood for like $1.5 mill? That's a fucking steal, if so. Was he intent on returning to the Cubs or something? I cannot believe the Yankees didn't make him a deal if he was willing to go so cheap and still be a set-up man. I figured that, after the way he pitched with the Yankees, he'd be looking to get a closing gig somewhere.[/QUOTE]

He turned down $3.5 mil from the White Sox, and $3-4 mil from the Yankees. The Cubs also promised him a job after he retires.

Kerry Wood was excellent last year in the playoffs after a shaky start in Cleveland. Hopefully he keeps things together and can remain a solid piece. I still don't understand why the Rangers have never went out and gotten him. It would have been nice to see a hometown guy play with the big league team he grew up 15 minutes from.

Pettitte told the Yankees not to count on him returning for another season. And Cashman said the Yankees likely won't make a move for a big-time pitcher. The Yankee rotation will be awful.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Pettitte told the Yankees not to count on him returning for another season. And Cashman said the Yankees likely won't make a move for a big-time pitcher. The Yankee rotation will be awful.[/QUOTE]

Are they going to break the bank for Carmona? Zambrano? They really need a pitcher. Do they dare chance Pavano again?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Pettitte told the Yankees not to count on him returning for another season. And Cashman said the Yankees likely won't make a move for a big-time pitcher. The Yankee rotation will be awful.[/QUOTE]

Well, what it boils down to is the guys earning the big bucks need to do their freaking job. The rotation will not be a strong suit by any means, but with the lineup the Yankees have, they SHOULD be able to win plenty of games. A-Rod needs to play like a $30 million player. Teixeira needs to get his ass ready for April. Jeter needs to do whatever he possibly can to rebound and stop hitting into so many DP's. Posada needs to shut up about not catching anymore and just do his job. Granderson needs to play like an All-Star centerfielder.

On the pitching side of things, CC needs to stay the course and continue being dominant. AJ needs to get his head out of his ass. Hughes needs to step into the spotlight as a top pitcher. And Robertson and Joba need to decide if they want to play baseball for a living or go flip burgers. There's enough talent on this team to be competitive. They just need to man the hell up.

[quote name='klwillis45']Welcome to Brew City, Zack Greinke.

My team's farm system is now gutted but look at that rotation.[/QUOTE]

Yup, and now we're stuck with a pitching staff that would be lucky to have a winning week in AA ball.

Hope the SS can learn to hit at ML level and we can find a spot for the CF, after all, we're only carrying 6 outfielders at the moment. :bomb:

bread's done
Back