MLB 2010 Discussion Thread

Crawford off the books. looks like the yankees will pay Lee anything now.

I would have to think that the Sabathias will play a huge part in Lee coming. With family ties being so close and Cashman trying to cover up the incident involving Lee's wife....the gravy train just looks that much finer.

welcome to the Mets Boof Bonser whoo!

World Series here we come :lol:

5 million dollars to fill a team and Alderson says we are competing this year. What joke. Just say we are rebuilding and get over it. Stadium is going to be a ghost town next year with friggin high prices.

[quote name='dafoomie']Maybe you guys can pawn off Beltran to the Angels.[/QUOTE]

if the angels are willing to eat more than 10 million than im all for it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Crawford off the books. looks like the yankees will pay Lee anything now.

I would have to think that the Sabathias will play a huge part in Lee coming. With family ties being so close and Cashman trying to cover up the incident involving Lee's wife....the gravy train just looks that much finer.

welcome to the Mets Boof Bonser whoo!

World Series here we come :lol:

5 million dollars to fill a team and Alderson says we are competing this year. What joke. Just say we are rebuilding and get over it. Stadium is going to be a ghost town next year with friggin high prices.[/QUOTE]

Next year the Mets should be able to make a big splash in free agency, but you know as well as I do that the organization needs to be rebuilt from the minors up. Of course he is going to say they are going to contend. He is not going to come out and give up on a season that did not start yet. If Alderson sticks to what he is saying and builds a team around the kind of guys he likes, I am looking forward to what he can do.

Also the reports of them only having 5 mill to spend have been incorrect. He recently started that they have more room to work than that.

Not thrilled about the Crawford signing. He's a good player but not a good fit for what the Sox need. But it's not my money.....

[quote name='dopa345']Not thrilled about the Crawford signing. He's a good player but not a good fit for what the Sox need. But it's not my money.....[/QUOTE]

I'm not wild about the money either, but Carl Crawford is a 5-tool player - he would be a fit for what any team needs.

It seems pretty obvious the Sox are saying screw the luxury tax this season, and since they're under $10 million away from it now I would imagine they'll go over. I think they looked at their dropping TV numbers over the past few seasons and decided that the remedy would be to make several large splashes this offseason. It's not a terrible strategy by any means, and despite the money there's no doubt it makes the on-field product better.

Crawford
Pedroia
Gonzalez
Youkilis
Ortiz
Drew
Varitek (or whoever's catching)
Scutaro
Ellsbury

That's a damned fine line-up, money or not. If the Sox wanted to be a better team this year, I can't think of any better offensive player they could have signed.

As others have mentioned, now that Crawford is off the market, and the Red Sox have really beefed up their lineup, you can almost guarantee the Yankees' offer to Lee will completely blow away anything anyone else can put out there. Now, whether or not that brings him to New York, I guess we'll wait and see.

I like Crawford, he could have been a perfect fit in Yankee Stadium. I definitely think that was a great signing by the Red Sox. How about the Rays though? If you're one of the few Rays fans, you gotta be upset. You just lost two big hitters in your lineup (although Pena kinda sucks) and it doesn't look like they'll be making any big time free agent signings like always.

There are Rays fans?

I'm only half joking by the way. They've been good the past few years and yet games in the middle of a pennant race are half-full, it's pathetic.

Where are all the people whining about the Red Sox trying to "buy a championship"? Shouldn't they be here by now? For that matter, aren't the Nationals "ruining baseball"? ;)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Where are all the people whining about the Red Sox trying to "buy a championship"? Shouldn't they be here by now? ;)[/QUOTE]

It's not like they don't have any money coming off the books. VMart and Beltre (though he wasn't making much) are gone. Next year Ortiz, Drew, Papelbon, Scutaro, and Cameron come off the books, not an insignificant amount of money. Not to mention they're not even over the luxury tax yet, nor have they extended Gonzalez (though they should).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Where are all the people whining about the Red Sox trying to "buy a championship"? Shouldn't they be here by now? For that matter, aren't the Nationals "ruining baseball"? ;)[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to see what is said if the Yankees sign Lee.

[quote name='bvharris']It's not like they don't have any money coming off the books. VMart and Beltre (though he wasn't making much) are gone. Next year Ortiz, Drew, Papelbon, Scutaro, and Cameron come off the books, not an insignificant amount of money. Not to mention they're not even over the luxury tax yet, nor have they extended Gonzalez (though they should).[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you know logic has no place in these arguments. The Yankees missed the playoffs in 2008 with a higher payroll than when they won the World Series in 2009...AFTER signing Sabathia, Burnett, and Teixeira. Most people don't understand how contracts work, or more importantly how bad contracts can hurt your team. Sadly, Burnett has become one of those bad contracts...which is the only reason the Yanks are having to go after Lee in the first place.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Can't wait to see what is said if the Yankees sign Lee.[/QUOTE]
It'll be hilarious... The Sox and Yankees subsidize the rest of baseball, they can complain when they give back that welfare check.

I wonder how those Yankees fans feel about abusing Lee's wife now? Where do they go from here if they don't get him? They almost have to.

Sox have a stacked lineup now, only problem I with that is that about half of the probable starters are lefty and the AL East has some really good lefty pitchers like Sabathia and Price.

Crawford is a top of the order hitter which is exactly what the Sox don't need. They already have a two-time stolen base leader and an AL MVP in the 1-2 spots. A better fit would be a 20+ HR, 100 RBI hitter who either is a righty or a switch hitter, preferably plays catcher. I wonder if the Sox could have had someone like that? Hmmm....

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Can't wait to see what is said if the Yankees sign Lee.[/QUOTE]

I say feel free to sign Lee to the 7-year, $160+ million deal he'll likely command. The track record of pitchers signed to such deals is not exactly stellar.

[quote name='dopa345']Crawford is a top of the order hitter which is exactly what the Sox don't need. They already have a two-time stolen base leader and an AL MVP in the 1-2 spots. A better fit would be a 20+ HR, 100 RBI hitter who either is a righty or a switch hitter, preferably plays catcher. I wonder if the Sox could have had someone like that? Hmmm....[/QUOTE]

Crawford's a significantly better all-around player than Victor Martinez, who while I liked him quite a bit brings nothing to the table but his bat, and is a negative behind the plate. Crawford is not only the best basestealer in baseball but is also an excellent hitter and one of the best defenders in the league. Making a financial argument against the Crawford signing is fine, but to suggest that any team wouldn't need a player of that caliber is ridiculous.

Edit: Oh, and not for nothing, but Crawford's OPS last season was 7 points higher than Martinez' and is 3 years younger (and not a catcher).

Uh oh, the Yankees really showed us... They're trying to outbid the Sox for Russell Martin.

They're pretty lefty heavy but Gonzalez hits lefties well, Crawford's been OK against lefties and could do better if he'd take them the other way in Fenway, and they won't have to play Ortiz, Drew, or Saltalamacchia against lefties either.

I don't think anyone sees Victor as a full time catcher anymore anyway, or else he'd have done better.

[quote name='dafoomie']Uh oh, the Yankees really showed us... They're trying to outbid the Sox for Russell Martin.[/QUOTE]

There had been talks of getting Martin or another stopgap solution pretty much since the end of the Yankee season. The Yankees would love to DH Posada just about full-time and work Jesus Montero onto the big club slowly.

I don't see a fit for Martin in Boston unless its as an insurance policy for Saltalamacchia. The attractive thing about him is that he still has options, you can send him to AAA. He'd probably hit very well at Fenway, but he's a terrible defensive catcher.

What are the Yankees going to do now? Maybe you guys should've been nicer to the wife.

Don't worry though, Carl Pavano won't turn down 7 years.

Well can today's signing end the arguments about the Yankees buying championships.....because clearly the Red Sox(who are there) the Phillies have finally arrived lol.

While yes the Phillies paid for Lee & Halladay, it's not the same as what the Yankees do. They didn't over bid EVERY other team in the market. Actually they found two guys who took under market value (set by the Yankees I might add) to play for them. Yes - their payroll is up there, but it's merely a factor of the market. They're not driving it, just living in it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Well can today's signing end the arguments about the Yankees buying championships.....because clearly the Red Sox(who are there) the Phillies have finally arrived lol.[/QUOTE]

That Lee signing probably only makes sense to him. For less years and less money, does he really enjoy pitching in the NL that much? Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise for the Yankees (I can hope). Maybe he'll only be good for a couple years and the Yankees can sign 1 or 2 great pitchers in the next year or two with the money that was supposed to be Lee's.

[quote name='madbst']That Lee signing probably only makes sense to him. For less years and less money, does he really enjoy pitching in the NL that much? Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise for the Yankees (I can hope). Maybe he'll only be good for a couple years and the Yankees can sign 1 or 2 great pitchers in the next year or two with the money that was supposed to be Lee's.[/QUOTE]

To me, Lee wouldn't have solved all of the Yankee problems, anyway. Watching that series against Texas, they looked old, slow, and, worst of all, not hungry. Adding a great pitcher does not change all of that.

From the start, I would have preferred getting Crawford. He would have brought more speed and athleticism to the Yankees, which they really looked like they could use. I know he mostly batted 2nd down in Tampa, but if you could have gotten him to lead off, you could move Jeter back to the 2-hole. Plus, you could have Gardner batting 9th. Opposing teams would be pulling their hair out.

Of course, not getting either of the two big free agents is a mighty blow for the Yankees, especially considering the fact that the Red Sox got two great players already this offseason. I think everyone is a little premature in counting them out, though. They still have a lot of talented players on their roster, and there might still be moves out there to be made.

Wait so let me get this straight. Phillies traded Lee because he won't sign an extension, then he got traded by Seattle because they don't think he will resign with them. Now he resign with Phillies for less money?

[quote name='62t']Wait so let me get this straight. Phillies traded Lee because he won't sign an extension, then he got traded by Seattle because they don't think he will resign with them. Now he resign with Phillies for less money?[/QUOTE]

yep. i guess going 0-2 in the WS Tries really got him in to a tizzy so he pulled a LeBron.

edit: really thinking about it.....it was a great move for the phillies short term. They have a dominant pitching staff now and an offense to support it. 2012-2013 they will be dominant but when they become 35+ and still making all that money......they will start to be hurting if these guys show their age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt...dear god...

It's going to be a long year in the NL East I'm afraid.

Looks like I'll be rooting for some teams that I normally won't come playoff time just to knock off the Phillies.

Looks like the Yankees were never really a contender for Lee, and the Sox might pick up Joe Blanton from the Phillies, not sure why. Maybe as a thank you for signing Lee?

I'm actually having mixed feelings about this. I'm glad we have Lee now, don't get me wrong, but I feel the Phillies fixed what wasn't broken and so far are leaving huge holes. Let's be honest, the Phillies downfall in the playoffs was the hitting, not the pitching. Instead of filling a huge hole in right field and rebuilding a bullpen that desperately needs it, they get a 4th ace. I was perfectly fine with 3 aces, but I guess Ruben wasn't. He'd rather have a 4th rather than a stellar bullpen and a great right handed bat in the outfield. I know one thing, if the Phillies hit like they did last season and in the playoffs, we're going to be winning a ton of 3-2 games.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm actually having mixed feelings about this. I'm glad we have Lee now, don't get me wrong, but I feel the Phillies fixed what wasn't broken and so far are leaving huge holes. Let's be honest, the Phillies downfall in the playoffs was the hitting, not the pitching. Instead of filling a huge hole in right field and rebuilding a bullpen that desperately needs it, they get a 4th ace. I was perfectly fine with 3 aces, but I guess Ruben wasn't. He'd rather have a 4th rather than a stellar bullpen and a great right handed bat in the outfield. I know one thing, if the Phillies hit like they did last season and in the playoffs, we're going to be winning a ton of 3-2 games.[/QUOTE]

Their RF for next season and beyond is one of the two top prospects in all of baseball.

bigdaddybruce:

It's a sham and a mockery that Gardner didn't bat leadoff more often last season. His walk rate and speed would do much better leading off than Jeter.

People are going nuts over Cliff Lee?

The same Cliff Lee the Giants shat all over?

I'll take The Franchise/Shotgun Cain/MadBum.

[quote name='ph33r m3']People are going nuts over Cliff Lee?

I'll take The Franchise/Shotgun Cain/MadBum.[/QUOTE]

From 2008-2010, Lincecum is the only pitcher with a lower FIP, and Halladay the only pitcher to best Lee in WAR.

Lee is clearly one of the five best pitchers in baseball.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Their RF for next season and beyond is one of the two top prospects in all of baseball.[/QUOTE]

No... They've already said they're not going to play Dominic Brown full time, if at all. He's going to be competing for a spot on the roster with other people in spring training, the job is not all his by a long shot. What is expected to happen is they'll probably platoon Brown and Ben Francisco. Plus, they need 2 things. 1 A good power right handed bat and 2 Someone to protect Howard. Dominic Brown is neither.

[quote name='ph33r m3']People are going nuts over Cliff Lee?

I'll take The Franchise/Shotgun Cain/MadBum.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because one game completely negates everything else he has done...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yes, because one game completely negates everything else he has done...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even bother replying to him because he's just a Giants troll. If Cliff Lee went to the Giants he'd think he was Jesus.

[quote name='tcrash247']I wouldn't even bother replying to him because he's just a Giants troll. If Cliff Lee went to the Giants he'd think he was Jesus.[/QUOTE]

We have our lefty Jesus, his name is Barry Zito.

But in all seriousness, the pitching for the Phils wasn't a problem.

It was their offense that got shellacked by the Giants.

They lost Werth who was genuinely the only one who did anything in the playoffs.

That's what I was saying, and that's what most Phillies fans are not seeing. Everyone around here is flipping shit that we have Cliff Lee but they're not realizing that we need some fucking hitting. Werth was one of the most productive guys we had in the playoffs. So instead of replacing him with something we desperately need we're going to get more starting pitching? I don't know, maybe Ruben is doing more devious shit under the table and he'll surprise us again.

[quote name='ph33r m3']We have our lefty Jesus, his name is Barry Zito.

But in all seriousness, the pitching for the Phils wasn't a problem.

It was their offense that got shellacked by the Giants.

They lost Werth who was genuinely the only one who did anything in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

If i weren't a phils fan, i would have liked the giants. You guys caught lightning in a bottle. But its so hard to recapture that even if you get most of the same guys back.

[quote name='tcrash247']That's what I was saying, and that's what most Phillies fans are not seeing. Everyone around here is flipping shit that we have Cliff Lee but they're not realizing that we need some fucking hitting. Werth was one of the most productive guys we had in the playoffs. So instead of replacing him with something we desperately need we're going to get more starting pitching? I don't know, maybe Ruben is doing more devious shit under the table and he'll surprise us again.[/QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding, we have a person who has seen a baseball game.

What the Nats paid for Werth might go down as one of the worst deals of all-time.

Problem for the Phils is they spent their whole farm system on the Oswalt/Halladay deals so they really have nothing in ways of getting an outfielder (ie; Justin Upton)

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']If i weren't a phils fan, i would have liked the giants. You guys caught lightning in a bottle. But its so hard to recapture that even if you get most of the same guys back.[/QUOTE]

Depends if the MLB decides to stupidly let more teams in the playoffs and extend the first round to 7 games.

Granted, I'm elated as hell they won the WS, but it's the fact that Neukom/Tidrow (Giants scouting head) have changed the Giants drastically.

No more Zito/Rowand deals. It's draft pitching (MadBum/Zach Wheeler) have a stud 1B (Brandon Belt) and only work on 1-2 year deals.

Ever since Neukom took over 1.5 year ago, they haven't given out a deal past 2 years I believe.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Problem for the Phils is they spent their whole farm system on the Oswalt/Halladay deals so they really have nothing in ways of getting an outfielder (ie; Justin Upton)[/quote]
You either win now or win later. Unless you can buy an entire team every year (and only two teams can do that), you have to make that choice. The Phils have a solid but aging core. Why on earth would they put off trying to win it all now with just about every piece in place?

bread's done
Back