MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='shotgunshine']Yeah, Jimmo sucks to watch fight. He also arguably lost the fight with Sokoudjou. Im surprised the UFC signed him to a contract.[/QUOTE]

I assume it's to hype his streak and give the boost to whoever beats him. With Perosh as his first test, it probably won't be long. Without the streak, Jimmo is the UFC's answer to the Mendoza Line at 205.

Some people say Kalib Starnes-Nate Quarry is a terrible fight. It is—but I'd rather watch that fight three times in a row than one sitting of Ryan Jimmo-Sokoudjou.

[quote name='Chase']Some people say Kalib Starnes-Nate Quarry is a terrible fight. It is—but I'd rather watch that fight three times in a row than one sitting of Ryan Jimmo-Sokoudjou.[/QUOTE]

The redeeming quality of that fight is the last minute or so where Quarry busts out the exaggerated running against a still backpedalling Kalib and all Kalib can do is be mad. Quarry channeling Rocky IV post-match was great too. It's at least memorable for being incredibad.

[quote name='shotgunshine']Yeah, Jimmo sucks to watch fight. He also arguably lost the fight with Sokoudjou. Im surprised the UFC signed him to a contract.[/QUOTE]
I thought he did lose there,pretty boring fight from both,both guys so inactive that Sokoudjou actually went 5 rounds.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Picks/predictions? Fedor/Rizzo, UFC On FX 4 and Franklin/Silva this weekend. Hmmmm.[/QUOTE]

Fedor/Maynard is no brainer there. My heart says Wandy by TKO but my head says Franklin is probably going to finish him. :(

Going out on a three fight win streak, two of which came over Monson and Rizzo. Hopefully the mob doesn't make him come back but if they don't, Fedor had a great career and is probably still the #1 P4P best MMA fighter of all time.

He will be surprised soon enough, but for now it is easy to consider him the GOAT.

Man, Clay Gudia was on some bullshit tonight. What the hell was he doing? I actually like fighters that fight smart, counter, move well etc, but there is a difference between smart defensive fighting and running. Clay pretty much ran five full rounds...very glad they gave the win to Maynard. I gave Guida the first two and Maynard the last three. How did yall score it?

[quote name='shotgunshine']Man, Clay Gudia was on some bullshit tonight. What the hell was he doing? I actually like fighters that fight smart, counter, move well etc, but there is a difference between smart defensive fighting and running. Clay pretty much ran five full rounds...very glad they gave the win to Maynard. I gave Guida the first two and Maynard the last three. How did yall score it?[/QUOTE]

This is what happens when you give an average fighter (Guida) a strategy best used by top-tier fighters (Condit, Jones). Guida, at best, has below-average SS and is primarily a grinder-type wrestler.

Guida, on his own, made Jimmo-Sokoudjou and Starnes-Quarry look like Sonnen-Silva 1. I'll have to make a note about the judging in Atlantic City. They did a very good job throughout the entire night.

A few notes from the FX 4 card:

-Very happy to see Dan Miller pick up a win. He's been through a lot.

-Supposedly, Ebersole will attempt a move down to 55. That sounds crazy for a dude his size.

-Waldburger has put on a lot of lean mass. Very noticeable difference in body composition from Hendricks fight to Ebersole fight.

-I had been busy all Friday and forgot to check the line on Hioki-Lamas. I wanted to bet big against Hioki. I can't express how great my displeasure is in not sinking in a bet.

Its funny reading people's thoughts about the fight. I've seen some that have said its a robbery, that Guida easily won while others have said it shouldn't of been that close and Gray won every round.

Agree about Dan. Very nice to see him get the W.

Ebersole would be crazy to try to make 155. Him and Waldburger had a damn good scrap. I thought Ebersole would handle him somewhat easy but he had a tough time with him.

Overall pretty fun fights for the most part. Went 8-4 on my picks. UFC 147 tonight. I think the fights will probably be good but I cant justify paying $45 for this card.

Great night of MMA and Boxing. Wandy needs to retire, he just doesn't have it anymore. :( He did almost knockout Franklin but was completely gassed after, I don't wanna see him get hurt anymore. Gladly he didn't seem that hurt in this fight and it was a good showcase of legends.

Boxing...lmao. Lopez upset of the year breaking Ortiz's Jaw and quitting. Soto-Matthysse was fantastic. Great night for fight fans. Canelo will be fighting on CBS now most likely.

I rarely play a three-fighter parlay, but found success last night (Ferreira, Bezerra, Werdum). My straight bet on Franklin also saw success. June has been kind. I scored big with Chiesa, Kampmann, and Bradley, amongst my smaller plays.

News emerging from the postfight presser is that Velasquez-Dos Santos 2 will be moved from the Toronto card. Speculation says UFC will hold a card in Rio in late-2012. Brazil is a wildcard. The judging is unpredictable and the crowd adds an extra dimension (for better or worse for the fighters).

We are two weeks away from UFC 148. The biggest fight of the year, and, perhaps, the most important fight in the last three years: Silva-Sonnen 2. Thankfully, I have two weeks to study tape. I'm either going to place a big straight bet on Sonnen or a sizable parlay involving Silva (alongside other options). I'm undecided.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZG0sNDa2JQ

"What I'm going to inside the octagon is something that's going to change the image of the sport. I'm going to beat his ass like he's never been beaten before. I'm going to make sure that every one of his teeth are broken, his arms are broken, his legs are broken. He’s not going to be able to walk out of the octagon by himself. I can guarantee that." - Anderson Silva

[youtube]Ritt8J7lt30[/youtube]

"The games are over. I'm going to beat his ass" or something like that. Silva.

edit: here's the quote
"I'm going to beat Chael like he's never been beaten before. The joke is over. There's no more talking. I know he's on the line listening, and the game is over. I'm going to beat his ass out of the UFC. He's never going to want to fight again after I'm done with him."

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like the news of him possibly coming into the fight less then 100% (yes, I know nobody fights at 100% yadda yadda) but Silva should be able to handle Sonnen.

Well, the speculation about Silva's knee is just speculation, and has been floating around for several weeks. If Sonnen has a poor weight cut, like he did against Bisping, Silva will finish him regardless of any knee injury. Originally, Brazil hosting this fight was a huge wildcard and a favor to Silva. Having this fight in Las Vegas could be a positive for Sonnen.

http://www.fightopinion.com/2012/06/25/dca-csac-retaliation-discrimination-lawsuit/

Oh, and hey, if you're not following Zack Arnold's extraordinary journalism behind the CSAC and DCA then you are missing out. Arguably, the biggest news in MMA in 2012. Everything seems to be leading to the DCA taking over and dissolving the CSAC. Giant, dark clouds overhead for combat sports in California.

True the rumors may not be true but if he is feeling good coming into the fight OR Sonnen fails at his weight cutting like he did against Bisping, there is no doubt Chael is getting KO'd. He was hurt bad the first fight a couple of times but his desperate takedowns secured him round after round. This time though hopefully Silva won't wait until the 5th round to try something.

There has been a ton of news. I'm sure you're all in the know. (Recently installed PhotoShop CS6 and actually thought of a neat layout for the opening post. We'll see if the forum formatting destroys my idea.)

But yeah, lotta news. More injuries and matchmaking. It's been a hard summer for Joe Silva. So, I'll keep things light with this video of, top lightweight talent and Strikeforce lightweight champion, Gilbert Melendez rolling with his fiance, the smoking hot Thai fighter, Keri Anne Taylor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UURuWMuSn0

I've actually talked my girlfriend into joining me for a Thai session. Next step? Grappling! Hahaha...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']He was hurt bad the first fight a couple of times but his desperate takedowns secured him round after round. This time though hopefully Silva won't wait until the 5th round to try something.[/QUOTE]

Geez...biased opinion much? RELENTLESS takedowns is more like it. Nobody drives through a man like Chael Sonnen. Even Brock Lesnar's wrestling is complete shit by comparison. It takes some pretty big balls to commit 100% to a double leg knowing your opponent could drop a knee in your face at any time. Calling those takedowns "desperate" is ignorant.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Geez...biased opinion much? RELENTLESS takedowns is more like it. Nobody drives through a man like Chael Sonnen. Even Brock Lesnar's wrestling is complete shit by comparison. It takes some pretty big balls to commit 100% to a double leg knowing your opponent could drop a knee in your face at any time. Calling those takedowns "desperate" is ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Geez...biased opiniong much? Obviously you are dangling from Mr. Sonnen's nuts if you are so passionate about that. Chael is a FANTASTIC wrestler, best in the UFC, but when he is stunned and getting bombed on the feet and shoots, that is what I call a bit desperate.

His wrestling is sick and Silva won't be able to stuff him often but Chael can't outstrike him and when he gets hurt with strikes then shoots, that isn't just a typical takedown attempt. That is done to avoid getting KO'd!

The UFC should have pushed harder to twist the arm of FOX to put this Primetime on FOX itself instead of FUEL. The FUEL audience is the wrong audience. What they need to do is gain, as fans, the viewers of FOX. Truly disappointing to see FOX seemingly sweep the UFC under the mat. This deal has yet to have any true impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARcd81xkFs

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29481/dan...atch-that-almost-wasnt-silva-vs-sonnen-ii.mma

Months ago, we had heard that Anderson Silva had been trying to back out of his fight with Chael Sonnen. Some people had their doubts. Dana White put the kibosh to the speculation by confirming that Silva did indeed try to avoid a rematch with Sonnen and, as demonstrated in a recent presser where he lost his cool, is actually angry that he has to rematch Sonnen. What type of champion ducks top contenders? After Jon Jones beats up Dan Henderson, he'll take Silva's title as the best fighter on Earth. And really, Jones, in one year, fought—and dominated—better opposition than Silva did in five years. If a Silva-Jones super-fight is ever really pressed hard, it's not difficult to figure out who would be the one to press Dana White to get out of the fight. In fact, if Silva beats Sonnen in the rematch, I expect Silva to use a "I did you a favor" line while trying to duck Jones.

Just saw that Melendez video. When you said "Thai Fighter" I was assuming she was actually a thai. :rofl:

On a (thread) related note, Tibau/Khabib should be...interesting. I have a strong feeling on that one personally.

Watched the Anderson Silva Like Water movie a couple of days ago. It was good. Next I want to see the Jon Fitch and team AKA movie, Such Great Heights.

I started a thread for those who train to discuss it with others. (dun dun duhh). It will probably flop here since most people are lazy and don't train anything at all, but we'll see. If anyone here in the thread trains stop by the thread and kickstart some discussions with questions, whatever.

Chael is just on another level. Usually, I don't like the pro wrestling antics being brought into MMA, but Chael is just hilarious. I guess it's bad for anybody who takes him seriously, but if you can recognize that he's joking the entire time, it's great.

There was a recent Fight Camp Insider episode where Matt Serra visited Team Quest in Oregon, and you can just see what a genuine, good guy Chael is. If there's anything right in the world, he'll back up the talk and become one of the most memorable champions ever on Saturday. I don't even care if Silva destroys him in a rubber match 6 months from now. I just think Chael deserves a little glory, if only fleeting, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBhVMSuBmtg

[quote name='Viol8tor']2 more days. SO HYPED!!

Saw this earlier and fucken laughed. :lol: fucken unique type of trolling man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh_eO2QoeCM&feature=youtu.be
[/QUOTE]

lol he almost slipped up in the beginning of the video. You see him about to crack a smile. While I think most of his antics are pretty funny, he's just been taking it too far. Even if he decides to be humble after a win/loss too many people will hate him for all the shit he's been talking for the past 2 years.

It's going to be pretty crazy to see an angry Anderson Silva in there. Of course Sonnen is probably going to try and have a solid game plan since Silva will probably be full of emotion. It will definitely be quite the show.

I need to watch the first half of the weigh-ins before I place my bets. And, fucking hell, Silva's focus should be in question after that cheap shot. Chael kept his focus and stood his ground. Had that been Nick Diaz on the receiving end, there would have been Nate flying over Nick's shoulder to punch Ed Soares, Nick diving on Silva. I'm still undecided between Chael and Silva. Chael is a wrestler. His mind is strong and he is focused. Chael is in Silva's head. This is what you need to ask yourself if you've done your tape study and plan to bet Sonnen-Silva:

How will Silva's anger affect him in the fight? Will he be reckless and be susceptible to the best takedowns in MMA? Will his anger lead him to pushing the pace early and assaulting Chael with just a brutal barrage?

This is one of those fights where I'm tentative because Silva could eat a TD but throw endless elbows from the bottom and open a nasty cut on Chael. Cuts are a wildcard. A nasty cut is a big reason why Antonio Silva lost to Cain Velasquez.

[quote name='Chase'] A nasty cut is a big reason why Antonio Silva lost to Cain Velasquez.[/QUOTE]
that and brown pride manhandled him.

Id have been more apt to pick sonnen if not for that bisping performance. I think if both fight to their best, silva wins almost everytime.
silva is my pick but i wont be surprised or upset whatever the outcome.

Lol yeah it's going to be a tough call. Anderson is really pissed and like you said that is probably going to get in the way of any game plan from his side. At the same time I agree with you and you just can't be certain because we've never really seen an angry Silva in there. He might just be extremely relentless until he busts him open and cuts him. That's when things get really nasty.

I haven't been this hyped for a UFC fight in such a long time. Im liking Anderson in this one, but its not insane to think Chael can pull it off. Im rooting for Silva as well but I do like Sonnen, and wouldn't mind if he won just to shake things up a bit and see these guys fight a third time.

Paz, I'd probably place another bet on Antonio Silva if he ever had a rematch with Cain. I like the matchup. Silva said he couldn't see so he couldn't do much of anything except try to survive the round. I still think Cain's chin is questionable.

I'm probably not going to bet on Silva-Sonnen. I'm emotionally compromised. And, as a dude who takes his betting seriously, the smart play would be to not bet on Silva-Sonnen.

I have yet to finalize my bets. I know some people like Fukuda—but I can't bet on Asian fighters. Fukuda has slightly above-average wrestling but strikes like Wanderlei. Chin in the air, wild punches with less technique. Philippou handled Court McGee—who I think has better hands and cardio, and comparable wrestling to Fukuda. If Philippou loses, it'll be a random, unpredicatable shot that leads to a TKO. Philippou should keep it standing and decision Fukuda.

[quote name='Chase']Paz, I'd probably place another bet on Antonio Silva if he ever had a rematch with Cain. I like the matchup. Silva said he couldn't see so he couldn't do much of anything except try to survive the round. I still think Cain's chin is questionable.

I'm probably not going to bet on Silva-Sonnen. I'm emotionally compromised. And, as a dude who takes his betting seriously, the smart play would be to not bet on Silva-Sonnen.

I have yet to finalize my bets. I know some people like Fukuda—but I can't bet on Asian fighters. Fukuda has slightly above-average wrestling but strikes like Wanderlei. Chin in the air, wild punches with less technique. Philippou handled Court McGee—who I think has better hands and cardio, and comparable wrestling to Fukuda. If Philippou loses, it'll be a random, unpredicatable shot that leads to a TKO. Philippou should keep it standing and decision Fukuda.[/QUOTE]

ive got phillippou in that fight.

bigfoot couldnt see because he got put on his back and smashed. that cut was a result of cain hammering his face through the mat. cut or not i think that fight plays out similarly the majority of the time. as far as betting, throwing some on bigfoot if a rematch were to occur would be smart, im sure hed be a significant dog, as he should be.

I don't think Sonnen is in Silva's head more then he was in the first fight. You know how sometime if you ask someone to do something they purposely do a shitty job so you don't ask them to do it again? I think that's what Silva is doing. Dana probably gave him some shit for again not helping sell the fight more so Silva, no really much of a talker, is using the chest bumping and shoulder check as his over the top way of selling the fight.
-------
Fox Deportes showed a repeat of UFC 117 earlier today. It was cool to see the Silva Sonnen fight again.

If Silva isn't dead set on ending with a submission like the first fight, Sonnen has no chance.

Really cheering for No one here, but Chales trash talking and trolling antics would go to a whole new level if he wins. I cant imagine that...:lol:

So amped, going to watch every single facebook/fox prelim fights as well. :whee::boxing:

I'd love to see Chael win, but I think Silva will handle him easily. I've got Silva TKO2.

Chael's weight cut is going to hurt him, he looked lifeless against Bisping and this cut didn't seem easy on him. He'll survive the first round by securing a takedown if he's in trouble, but Silva will overtake him in the second and finish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirty, dirty, fucking dirty! Silva was trying to cheat that entire fucking fight. First, he's rubbing vaseline all over himself before the fight, then he's grabbing Sonnen's shorts...even to the point when they were separating and he's got shorts in one hand and is punching with the other hand. Then the knee to a downed opponent. Just get the fuck out of here. Anderson Silva is trash.

They're saying it hit the body...but it looked like it clipped his chin to me. Whatever. "Most dominant champion in the history of the sport..." Hype, hype, hype. He's also the most smug looking person I've ever seen.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']They're saying it hit the body...but it looked like it clipped his chin to me. Whatever. "Most dominant champion in the history of the sport..." Hype, hype, hype. He's also the most smug looking person I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought too. Here's a picture:
MslWF.jpg

So maybe the point of the knee didn't hit his face, but still, it looked pretty vicious and looked like an attempted knee to the head. And I agree about him, so maybe he is the best pound for pound fighter, but he's not humble whatsoever.

The knee wasn't illegal, it hit his upperbody/chest area at the highest.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']They're saying it hit the body...but it looked like it clipped his chin to me. Whatever. "Most dominant champion in the history of the sport..." Hype, hype, hype. He's also the most smug looking person I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I think YOU bet on Sonnen, or just reeealy like hanging off his one ball. :rofl: He did good in the first round but got kneed and crumbled in the second. I don't mind Sonnen, I think he's a phenomenal marketer but he got destroyed in that second round.

First time he has ever been knocked out. No matter if you like Silva or not you can't say he isn't the most dominant champion in UFC history. He's like 11-0 in the UFC with mostly stoppages.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The knee wasn't illegal, it hit his upperbody/chest area at the highest.

I think YOU bet on Sonnen, or just reeealy like hanging off his one ball. :rofl: He did good in the first round but got kneed and crumbled in the second. I don't mind Sonnen, I think he's a phenomenal marketer but he got destroyed in that second round.

First time he has ever been knocked out. No matter if you like Silva or not you can't say he isn't the most dominant champion in UFC history. He's like 11-0 in the UFC with mostly stoppages.[/QUOTE]

Look at the picture. It's right there. Tell me how that shot doesn't connect with his face. Sonnen wouldn't have been put on queer street from a knee to his upper chest. I don't care how many title defenses Silva has. If he's going to actively cheat (got an excuse for the greasing and grabbing the shorts too?), make constant "less than 100%" excuses, and disrespect his opponents in the cage, he's a joke. Every "kind" statement he ever makes is through laughter or with that big smug ass smile on his face. He's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back