MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
chael threw that spinning elbow ALL day in the open workouts.. its no wonder silva saw it coming from a mile away. dunno where chael got the idea he was ong bak thai warrior or even jon jones for that matter. props to chael for not pulling a koscheck though.

chael straight up said silva caught him with a good shot to the body. and apparently you've never been kneed to the sternum. while sitting on your ass up against a wall/fence where there is no space for you to fall back and minimize the impact of the blow. infact, i'd guess you've probably never been in a fight or trained in any combat sport. ever.
i wanted chael to win, but he fought that 2nd rd like a dummy and paid the price the same way faber did when he lost to mike brown.
wrestlers have no business throwing fancy elbows while standing.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Look at the picture. It's right there. Tell me how that shot doesn't connect with his face. Sonnen wouldn't have been put on queer street from a knee to his upper chest. I don't care how many title defenses Silva has. If he's going to actively cheat (got an excuse for the greasing and grabbing the shorts too?), make constant "less than 100%" excuses, and disrespect his opponents in the cage, he's a joke. Every "kind" statement he ever makes is through laughter or with that big smug ass smile on his face. He's a douchebag.[/QUOTE]

I think the knee would have been illegal if Chael hand was touching the mat and it landed in his head. When your hand is touching the mat you are considered as a grounded opponent. His hand was not touching the mat and he was fair game.

Also did anyone know why Forrrest strated sprinting out of the cage again?

[quote name='technicalstylez']chael straight up said silva caught him with a good shot to the body. and apparently you've never been kneed to the sternum. while sitting on your ass up against a wall/fence where there is no space for you to fall back and minimize the impact of the blow. infact, i'd guess you've probably never been in a fight or trained in any combat sport. ever.
i wanted chael to win, but he fought that 2nd rd like a dummy and paid the price the same way faber did when he lost to mike brown.
wrestlers have no business throwing fancy elbows while standing.[/QUOTE]

WTF does my personal experience with fighting or combat sports have to do with whether or not Anderson Silva's knee connected with Chael Sonnen's head? The fact that I grew up in a neighborhood of at least 20 boys around my age and was always getting in scraps and did some kickboxing in high school has no relevance here.

Again, look at the picture. There's no way that Silva gets his leg in/out of there without dragging it across Chael's face. Is Chael going to complain about it? For what purpose? At the end of the day, he gets a paycheck, and stands a better chance of getting another big fight if he doesn't drag the UFC's poster boy through the mud. All I'm saying is look at the picture and tell me what's happening.

I like that nobody is addressing the other illegal tactics though. Silva was shown wiping a substance on his body before the fight started, and Goldberg/Rogan even commented that Yves Lavigne had to go wipe it off. Then, Silva was repeatedly holding on to Sonnen's shorts...which he was also warned for. That's a dirty fighter, man.

i looked at the picture plenty as well as rewatched the fight several times. his knee is hitting chael's sternum. if u can't see then then u are either mistaking silvas lower leg for chael's arm or need to take an anatomy class. chael fell to the side after taking the knee which is how his head wasn't struck.
the vaseline wipedown was clear as day on camera, yves wiped it off. had no affect on the fight. the shorts holding for that punch but that had nothing to do with the outcome of the fight. and u getting in 'scraps' and kickboxing is still not the same as sitting on ur ass and getting kneed straight in the chest while sitting up against a wall. aldo grabbed the fence to avoid the takedown right before he ko'd mendes but does anyone care about that? nope. the only thing people care about is the outcome. its a fight, silva won, let it go.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']WTF does my personal experience with fighting or combat sports have to do with whether or not Anderson Silva's knee connected with Chael Sonnen's head? The fact that I grew up in a neighborhood of at least 20 boys around my age and was always getting in scraps and did some kickboxing in high school has no relevance here.

Again, look at the picture. There's no way that Silva gets his leg in/out of there without dragging it across Chael's face. Is Chael going to complain about it? For what purpose? At the end of the day, he gets a paycheck, and stands a better chance of getting another big fight if he doesn't drag the UFC's poster boy through the mud. All I'm saying is look at the picture and tell me what's happening.

I like that nobody is addressing the other illegal tactics though. Silva was shown wiping a substance on his body before the fight started, and Goldberg/Rogan even commented that Yves Lavigne had to go wipe it off. Then, Silva was repeatedly holding on to Sonnen's shorts...which he was also warned for. That's a dirty fighter, man.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']the vaseline wipedown was clear as day on camera, yves wiped it off. had no affect on the fight. the shorts holding for that punch but that had nothing to do with the outcome of the fight.[/QUOTE]

lol...is this still not actively trying to cheat though? That's necessary from the champion and so called "best MMA fighter of all time?" I'm not buying.

[quote name='technicalstylez']aldo grabbed the fence to avoid the takedown right before he ko'd mendes but does anyone care about that? nope. the only thing people care about is the outcome. its a fight, silva won, let it go.[/QUOTE]

Not everybody. I can't stand dirty fighters. Grabbing the fence is one thing...at times, that can be a reflex (though, if it happens multiple times, that's too much). But actively trying to game the rules is crossing a line. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Josh Koscheck either. I just think it's especially pathetic when it's coming from a fighter of Silva's standing.

[quote name='shotgunshine']Silva!!!![/QUOTE]

Lol nice input. In real time I really thought that knee was to the head but after the replay could see that it was to the mainly to the body and if it did touch his head on the way up I dont think it matters. The blow wasn't directed to the head so the body was the one takin all the damage. Chael had plenty of strikes that we're thrown to the back off the head from ground and pound and did not lose any points in either fight. I don't see what the deal with the shorts was though.

What was Chael doing with that spinning backwards fist, fucker missed badly, landed on his ass and Silva jumped all over him. All after that incredible pace and execution from Chael in the first round.

Im pretty disappointed in how he lost, but fuck...it is what it is.

Cant hate on silva you guys. its no fucken conincidence that he hasnt lost in years and has held the belt for so long - and probably will untill he decided to retire. Not sure if he was being sarcastic to rub it in Chael at the end of the fight or not - but its not like if Chael didnt deserve it.

chael just said in the post fight conference that anderson grabbed his shorts and he grabbed anderson's right back. u can call them both cheaters then. no one said u have to believe silva is the greatest mma fighter of all time- thats just an opinion. i would be curious to know who your best mma fighter of all time pick would be, and i hope u don't say fedor because he cheated in his fight with lindland by grabbing the ropes.

my pick is sakuraba, but i doubt u know who that is and why i would pick him.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']lol...is this still not actively trying to cheat though? That's necessary from the champion and so called "best MMA fighter of all time?" I'm not buying.

Not everybody. I can't stand dirty fighters. Grabbing the fence is one thing...at times, that can be a reflex (though, if it happens multiple times, that's too much). But actively trying to game the rules is crossing a line. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Josh Koscheck either. I just think it's especially pathetic when it's coming from a fighter of Silva's standing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Viol8tor']What was Chael doing with that spinning backwards fist, fucker missed badly, landed on his ass and Silva jumped all over him. All after that incredible pace and execution from Chael in the first round.

Cant hate on silva you guys. its no fucken conincidence that he hasnt lost in years and has held the belt for so long - and probably will untill he decided to retire. Not sure if he was being sarcastic to rub it in Chael at the end of the fight or not - but its not like if Chael didnt deserve it.[/QUOTE]

That would be crazy if next week we get pics of Silva and Chael together munching on ribs.:lol:

he practiced that spinning back elbow quite a bit at the open workouts. im sure silva took note and as a result saw it coming from a mile away. dunno y chael thought he should be doing that shit. faber pulled similar nonsense and it cost him his fight with mike brown.

[quote name='Viol8tor']What was Chael doing with that spinning backwards fist, fucker missed badly, landed on his ass and Silva jumped all over him. All after that incredible pace and execution from Chael in the first round.

Cant hate on silva you guys. its no fucken conincidence that he hasnt lost in years and has held the belt for so long - and probably will untill he decided to retire. Not sure if he was being sarcastic to rub it in Chael at the end of the fight or not - but its not like if Chael didnt deserve it.[/QUOTE]

Man, i would go to Silvas BBQ anyday. Brazilians know how to eat!.

I need to watch the fight again, second round is a bit of a blur to me right now, lol.

OH yeah: Forrest, we all know you a awkward dude, but WHAT THE fuck!

#-o

[quote name='DT778']Clean knee by Silva.

Anyone watch the post fight conference? Did Forrest explain what the hell is wrong with him?[/QUOTE]

Too much Taco Bell?

Forrest is just an idiot. It was wishful thinking but I was hoping Ortiz would knock him out and make Forrest retire as well so i dont' have to see him fight again.

[quote name='technicalstylez']chael just said in the post fight conference that anderson grabbed his shorts and he grabbed anderson's right back. u can call them both cheaters then. no one said u have to believe silva is the greatest mma fighter of all time- thats just an opinion. i would be curious to know who your best mma fighter of all time pick would be, and i hope u don't say fedor because he cheated in his fight with lindland by grabbing the ropes.

my pick is sakuraba, but i doubt u know who that is and why i would pick him.[/QUOTE]

Dude...why are you personally attacking me or my knowledge of MMA?

"I doubt you've ever been a fight..."
"I doubt you know who Sakuraba is..."

What makes these condescending asshole statements necessary?

Watching it in real time.. I was pretty much 100% positive that the knee was illegal. After playing it back and seeing the pictures. I was more than likely wrong. I say that because I can see how it could be argued either way but.. throwing that elbow and falling on your ass.. You're pretty much asking for it.

Honestly, I loved that Anderson was hugging Chael and being buddy buddy with him after the fight was done. I'm certain he did that to rub it in and I don't blame him at all. Chael has been talking shit for the past two years and Silva gets the last laugh. He took it way too far in my opinion. Talking smack about his wife, insulting Brazil, and demoralizing the Nogueira brothers (feeding a carrot to a bus anyone?) Everything worked out in the end.

Now, my post comes off as super biased but Chael Sonnen still is the only man to have ever come close to beating Silva in the UFC. Had he not thrown that stupid elbow and did what he did in the first round...? There could have been a different outcome.

Jon Jones is pretty much there as #1 P4P contender. Dude has destroyed the entire division and in way more devastating fashion as well as in less time. He is still so young that it is mind boggling to think of what he will become in the coming years. Most fighters hit their prime in the late 20's early 30's and this young man is JUST getting started. I would go as far as saying that he could possibly hold the LHW and HW belts. If the occasion ever arrives where he does move up though.. the fights will definitely not be as one sided as they currently are in LHW.

UFC 148 will go down in history as one of the weirdest nights in MMA history.

Freak injuries (Philippou's eye poke, Kim's broken rib seconds into R1 out of a trip), awful judging (Griffin, Guillard, and Nurmagomedov decisions), Cote looking C-league against a 40-year-old Le/an Asian fighter, Griffin running away from the octagon like a baby with Dana White chasing him, Griffin's unfunny/selfish post-fight interview shenanigans, and Sonnen dominating R1 then showing poor Fight IQ/unnecessary desperation by throwing a spinning backfist in R2 which lead to his demise.

Just a weird night. Even heading into the co-main event, I let people know that 148 had been a strange night with an awful card. This event had way too much hype. Dana says numbers suggest their biggest card ever. Outside of Sonnen-Silva and Mendes-McKenzie, it was just an terrible, bizarre PPV. And really, a spinning backfist?!

Kinda disappointed in the main event as it came down to Sonnen slipping and falling (albeit on a spinning move, but still). It's just one of those things that could happen to anyone given the right circumstances, and I just don't feel like the fight really allowed each fighter to showcase their skills.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Dude...why are you personally attacking me or my knowledge of MMA?

"I doubt you've ever been a fight..."
"I doubt you know who Sakuraba is..."

What makes these condescending asshole statements necessary?[/QUOTE]

dude needs to chill out. fitting the customary behavior of most internet mma posters.

Actually, I was going to say the same thing about 148 as a whole. I was really pumped up for this event because on paper, the card looked great. But if felt like every fight just didn't deliver. The Tito and Forrest fight was ok, I guess. But when you see that fight for what it was: an almost washed up fighter barely hanging on against a washed up fighter, it's just pathetic (though really...you could say the same thing about the Le/Cote fight).

I really used to like Forrest too. I just don't know what the hell happened to him. Looking at him and thinking that this guy beat Rampage and Shogun is just ridiculous. The way he fights, he looks like he could give a shit anymore. It's obvious he's not actively trying to improve. He's swinging wildly and collecting a paycheck.

It's weird, but he's the one fighter I'd seriously question of throwing fights (which I half expected to happen in this one). His approach is just so overdramatic and his reactions to getting hit look straight out of the WWE. After last night, I don't know how Dana can keep him around. If he keeps it up, the fans are going to turn on him, and then he'll be gone. That's the only reason Dana "loves this guy". He makes the UFC money. He's lucky he's got that saving his ass. I really want Bonnar-Griffin 3 now, because I really believe Stephan would kick his ass this time.

It's OK, do you like your crow cold or warmed up a bit?

silva-sonnen-knee.gif

At MOST, part of the thigh landed on Sonnen's chin. But thigh strikes aren't illegal, KNEES are. And a huge L-O-L to those who think that shorts grabbing or trying to wipe grease on his chest and arms made any difference in the fight.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']It's OK, do you like your crow cold or warmed up a bit?

silva-sonnen-knee.gif

At MOST, part of the thigh landed on Sonnen's chin. But thigh strikes aren't illegal, KNEES are. And a huge L-O-L to those who think that shorts grabbing or trying to wipe grease on his chest and arms made any difference in the fight.[/QUOTE]

Semantics. Ok...he thighed him in the face...yeah...sure... As for the other actions, it doesn't matter if it played a role in the outcome of the fight. If he's consciously trying to do things that are illegal, he's a dirty fighter. I don't know how much more simply I can put it.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can be even simpler and admit that you're blind. the knee is the closest part of his body in that strike and his knee has to connect with chael's body first before his thigh hit chael's face. if you can't understand that concept then good riddance, one less retard fan. rashad did the same shit to tito.
cry about it. i don't even like silva that much but i atleast have the common sense to respect him and his abilities. try it.

[quote name='technicalstylez']you can be even simpler and admit that you're blind. the knee is the closest part of his body in that strike and his knee has to connect with chael's body first before his thigh hit chael's face. if you can't understand that concept then good riddance, one less retard fan. rashad did the same shit to tito.
cry about it. i don't even like silva that much but i atleast have the common sense to respect him and his abilities. try it.[/QUOTE]

I thought this was directed at me the first time I read it. I was going "wut?".

lol nah man. we're good.:) good luck with that mma training thread, personally i save those posts for sherdog.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I thought this was directed at me the first time I read it. I was going "wut?".[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']lol nah man. we're good.:) good luck with that mma training thread, personally i save those posts for sherdog.[/QUOTE]

If you train, enter the thread! I know some guys in this thread train something so I thought they could talk about their training in that thread...but alas they are too silent for some reason.

Cote was cut? Too bad, he put up a good effort. Not surprised because he got beat up and taken down by Cung Le, but he's always a game guy. Will probably need to get another six wins on local circuits to get another shot as a late replacement though. He was fairly heavily favored to win so him getting beat up like that was not impressive in the least bit.

yeah im pretty sure it was a 1 fight contract w/the option to resign if he won, but ya dana said he won't be fighting in the ufc..he's their canada/french commentator though so he's still with the company and all. i've been a fan of cote's since his tear in UCC/TKO but he always seems to come up short when he needs the big win. i was cheering for cung for cultural/hometown reasons but for sure that was a fight cote should've won based on hands and cardio since cung's age+long hours on set are catching up to him. had cung transitioned into mma back in the late 90s-early 2000's when he was king of sanshou he would've been amazing to watch in the cage. im still waiting for him to pull his patented suplexes/throws and scissor kick takedown in an mma fight. would be amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oORMITBDS-I&feature=related

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Cote was cut? Too bad, he put up a good effort. Not surprised because he got beat up and taken down by Cung Le, but he's always a game guy. Will probably need to get another six wins on local circuits to get another shot as a late replacement though. He was fairly heavily favored to win so him getting beat up like that was not impressive in the least bit.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Balkion45']McKenzie Mendes not only hurt my soul, but made me look like an idiot too.[/QUOTE]

Cody McKenzie has been training with the Diaz brothers and Ronda Rousey—but he was far from ready to fight someone like Chad Mendes. That was an incredible mismatch. McKenzie probably asked for the fight, but man, if he didn't I wonder what he did to upset Joe Silva.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Actually, I was going to say the same thing about 148 as a whole. I was really pumped up for this event because on paper, the card looked great. But if felt like every fight just didn't deliver. The Tito and Forrest fight was ok, I guess. But when you see that fight for what it was: an almost washed up fighter barely hanging on against a washed up fighter, it's just pathetic (though really...you could say the same thing about the Le/Cote fight).

I really used to like Forrest too. I just don't know what the hell happened to him. Looking at him and thinking that this guy beat Rampage and Shogun is just ridiculous. The way he fights, he looks like he could give a shit anymore. It's obvious he's not actively trying to improve. He's swinging wildly and collecting a paycheck.

It's weird, but he's the one fighter I'd seriously question of throwing fights (which I half expected to happen in this one). His approach is just so overdramatic and his reactions to getting hit look straight out of the WWE. After last night, I don't know how Dana can keep him around. If he keeps it up, the fans are going to turn on him, and then he'll be gone. That's the only reason Dana "loves this guy". He makes the UFC money. He's lucky he's got that saving his ass. I really want Bonnar-Griffin 3 now, because I really believe Stephan would kick his ass this time.[/QUOTE]

Forrest Griffin is a headcase. I think, perhaps, he should retire after this Tito Ortiz win. As Dana White said in the postfight presser, "one day, you just wake up and you're old." Griffin has been "old" for a couple years now. He'd be a good "brand ambassador." What ever that entails. If they ever made Bonnar-Griffin 3, I'd also favor Stephan Bonnar. Bonnar, unlike Griffin, is a good gatekeeper at 205 and has looked good in his recent fights, like the one he had with Kyle Kingsbury.

Speaking of Patrick Cote, he looked awful. Mediocre. Terrible. Anyone better than the mid-tier of 185 should be able to beat Cung Le. Cote had a very embarrassing performance. He looked like he should be fighting on a Wild Bill's Fight Night card. Shame he got cut because I had looked forward to fading him.

People have been championing an Anderson Silva title defense against Rashad Evans. The probability for a Rashadface is somewhat high—but Chael Sonnen showed a solid blueprint to combating Silva. While I think Sonnen has a quicker shot, Evans has solid wrestling and, in general, is faster. However, I have my concerns. I would place more value in a Greg Jackson/Mike Winkeljohn-trained Evans than a Blackzillians/Mike Van Arsdale-trained Evans. Michael Johnson has looked a bit improved, but Gesias Cavalcante, Melvin Guillard, and Anthony Johnson look to be slipping. Yes, the onus is on the fighter, but the camp seems to be lacking focus or guidance.

There is no place in this universe where Rashad Evans will be able to wrestle more effectively then Olympic level wrestler Chael Sonnen. The 'Shadface would be out in two rounds, three max.

Cody McKenzie has been training with the Diaz brothers and Ronda Rousey—but he was far from ready to fight someone like Chad Mendes. That was an incredible mismatch. McKenzie probably asked for the fight, but man, if he didn't I wonder what he did to upset Joe Silva.

Yeah, that's what gave me the confidence that I had, along with his reach, and of course the guillotine. Even given the magnitude of the mismatch, I didn't think it would be that bad of a loss. Hopefully his next opponent will be a newcomer or someone that he should be able to win against fairly easily, because I'd hate to see him get cut.

Also, sorry about my inability to quote properly.

Who didn't know that Mendes was going to try and outstrike him the whole time like he did to Omigawa? Only a fool takes a guy like Cody McKenzie down.

cody's stand up is soooo bad..even dana said he had no business being in there with chad. oh and chael's team applied for an appeal with nsac per the knee.. which completely contradicts his comments at the post fight presser.

The fan inside of me connected the 8 inches of reach and work with the Diaz Brothers to a possible ability to at least make a competition with him. I knew it would be bad, I just didn't think it would be that bad. Or at least I hoped that it wouldn't be.

[quote name='Balkion45']The fan inside of me connected the 8 inches of reach and work with the Diaz Brothers to a possible ability to at least make a competition with him. I knew it would be bad, I just didn't think it would be that bad. Or at least I hoped that it wouldn't be.[/QUOTE]

Everyone makes bad plays at times, all is well! McKenzie is a threat for people who can't outstrike him like the last wrestler that he fought, but anyone who can beat him on the feet will do just that.

I don't know why, with his weak durability and no power, he doesn't work insane takedowns and Judo. He did nothing but keep kicking and got hit once to the body and crumbled. He has no toughness and no striking, he needs to be able to get it to the ground.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Everyone makes bad plays at times, all is well! McKenzie is a threat for people who can't outstrike him like the last wrestler that he fought, but anyone who can beat him on the feet will do just that.

I don't know why, with his weak durability and no power, he doesn't work insane takedowns and Judo. He did nothing but keep kicking and got hit once to the body and crumbled. He has no toughness and no striking, he needs to be able to get it to the ground.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he really does. Even in his fight with LeVesseur I recall Cody being on the wrong end of the stand up damage before it went to the ground and he secured the choke. At least next time he won't be fighting Chad Mendes.

Also, did anyone watch the Facebook prelim with Izquierdo and and Olivieira? I've been a fan of Izquierdo's striking for this fight and his last one, but his ground game and wrestling are what loses him these fights.

[quote name='Balkion45']Also, did anyone watch the Facebook prelim with Izquierdo and and Olivieira? I've been a fan of Izquierdo's striking for this fight and his last one, but his ground game and wrestling are what loses him these fights.[/QUOTE]

Didn't see it personally but I do know plenty enough about both fighters there. Neither are any good for the most part and both lose to anyone decent. Unfortunatley for Izquierdo he was the inferior fighter in this one...he could be cut.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Didn't see it personally but I do know plenty enough about both fighters there. Neither are any good for the most part and both lose to anyone decent. Unfortunatley for Izquierdo he was the inferior fighter in this one...he could be cut.[/QUOTE]

In the situation that he doesn't get released, I think a drop to featherweight and a fight with Garcia would be interesting.

[quote name='Balkion45']Also, did anyone watch the Facebook prelim with Izquierdo and and Olivieira? I've been a fan of Izquierdo's striking for this fight and his last one, but his ground game and wrestling are what loses him these fights.[/QUOTE]

Izquierdo-Oliveira was a toss-up. Izquierdo has above-average kickboxing but below-average TDD, wrestling, and grappling. On the flip-side, Oliveira has below-average SS but slightly above-average grappling and TD offense. In that situation, I usually pick the person with the better wrestling. I had Izquierdo. Dunno why. 148 is just a haze in my mind. Just a weird night.

Thanks for posting that sound clip, Viol8tor. Chael is quite the gent—beyond the personality he uses to hype fights. Another example,

33mby1h.png

And Rampage is being fed to Teixeira. If you all remember, Glover Teixeira is the dude that Shogun (or at least his management) refused to fight (for some reason). Zuffa intends to send Rampage out (see: to Bellator) on a three-fight losing streak.

Sneaking this in: I have little to say, right now, in regards to Chael Sonnen's head coach Scott McQuarry and what he's trying to do. I will say: It's interesting to hear that two NSAC members approached Chael and told him that the knee was illegal. Also interesting to hear Keith Kizer say that he thinks Silva "tried to get DQ-ed."

yeah i was never a fan of chael - going back to the first time i saw him fight in the ifc lhw tournament- til i saw his fight camp video with matt serra on the ufc youtube channel. outside of the trashtalk he seems like a genuine nice guy and he friggin owns a pizzeria..
i really hope he comes back..and sticks to wrestling instead of wannabe ong bak techniques. anyhoo, i told my buddy before the fight that i thought anderson was gonna win controversially by soccer kick/footstomps to seriously hurt chael on purpose even if it resulted in a dq, seems me and kizer are on the same wavelength.

I saw a video of that match. I love that CM Punk, an MMA fan, and Bryan Danielson, who trains at Xtreme Couture, paid tribute to Sonnen-Silva 2.

[quote name='technicalstylez']yeah i was never a fan of chael - going back to the first time i saw him fight in the ifc lhw tournament- til i saw his fight camp video with matt serra on the ufc youtube channel. outside of the trashtalk he seems like a genuine nice guy and he friggin owns a pizzeria..
i really hope he comes back..and sticks to wrestling instead of wannabe ong bak techniques. anyhoo, i told my buddy before the fight that i thought anderson was gonna win controversially by soccer kick/footstomps to seriously hurt chael on purpose even if it resulted in a dq, seems me and kizer are on the same wavelength.[/QUOTE]

Chael Sonnen is still, in my opinion, the number-two guy in the division. But, I think he retires. He sounds like a goal-oriented person. And, without a title to chase, I think he retires and finds something else to do. I see much success in any endeavor he attempts. Could you imagine if he starts his own gym or becomes another head coach for Team Quest? People would flock to him.

Two things.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/1...nderson-silva-we-could-both-lose-sponsorships

Jon Jones says that he will not fight Anderson Silva because he's afraid of losing money from sponsors, and, if he were to win, he wouldn't want to take money away from Silva. That has to be one of the weakest excuses I've heard. Georges St-Pierre. Tapped to strikes and lost to Matt Serra. Georges St-Pierre: One of MMA's highest paid fighters. Everyone will most likely lose. It's not about the loss, it's about the recovery. Fighters get paid to fight. Hopefully, Zuffa realizes the amount of money to gain from having this fight, and pushes for a Silva-Jones super-fight.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/411085/Soares-Maybe-Silva-could-make-170/

Ed Soares says that Anderson Silva could possibly make 170. So, let me get this straight: Silva refuses to fight Jones because he "hespects him." Picture big, sarcastic air quotes. But, by Soares' words, he sounds willing to fight arguably his co-leader as best fighter in the world—a mister Georges St-Pierre. If Silva attempts to pressure St-Pierre into a fight, when St-Pierre has said he'd rather not fight Silva, then that would prove my point that Silva is a bully who avoids truly competitive fights (Sonnen rematch, Jones, Machida).

[quote name='Chase']Ed Soares says that Anderson Silva could possibly make 170. So, let me get this straight: Silva refuses to fight Jones because he "hespects him." Picture big, sarcastic air quotes. But, by Soares' words, he sounds willing to fight arguably his co-leader as best fighter in the world—a mister Georges St-Pierre. If Silva attempts to pressure St-Pierre into a fight, when St-Pierre has said he'd rather not fight Silva, then that would prove my point that Silva is a bully who avoids truly competitive fights (Sonnen rematch, Jones, Machida).[/QUOTE]

Of course he'd fight GSP. He'd have a HUGE size (not to mention reach) advantage. No matter how you slice it, I don't respect anything Silva and Ed Soares do. Their heads have gotten so big, it's a wonder they were even able to make it through the doors at MGM. As Dana White admitted, Silva wants to stay at 185 so he can keep his winning streak going.

He's essentially the Randy Couture of this generation. He was fortunate to come along at a time when his division was extremely thin (I'd argue the weakest in MMA). I'm not saying he isn't talented...but it looks like he has no desire to push himself. Outside of Sonnen, he really hasn't been challenged in the UFC at all. Really, he's a lot like Fedor in that way too: avoiding the top competition to build up your legacy.

It's the same mentality we see in boxing. He's going to take fights he knows he can win from here on out and just coast to the end of his career. I fully expect to see more clowning and dancing around like an idiot in the cage. Truth be told, Anderson Silva should thank Chael Sonnen for making him relevant again after the circus fights he was taking just a few years ago. Now, we're supposed to be interested in seeing him fight Chris Weidman or Mark Munoz. *yawn* No thanks. Take a real fight or get off the main card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back