MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you crazy? the guy is 12-1. he's a top 5 middleweight. how could you be mad?

belfort beats franklin at 195 lbs and gets a shot? that made zero sense.
i still would rather see marquardt in there again instead of the blanket. anderson losing to chael would be the saddest moment for mma ever.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']are you crazy? the guy is 12-1. he's a top 5 middleweight. how could you be mad?

belfort beats franklin at 195 lbs and gets a shot? that made zero sense.
i still would rather see marquardt in there again instead of the blanket. anderson losing to chael would be the saddest moment for mma ever.[/QUOTE]
His top two victories were against Nate Quarry and Chael Sonnen and that's enough to consider him top 5 middleweight? Please.

How do they expect a guy who got easily beaten by Marquardt to go toe-to-toe with an even better stand up fighter in Silva? Maia's supposedly new-found stand up game came against a guy who never ko'd a single person in his career.

Belfort returned to the UFC already considered top class fighter and he handled Franklin easier than anyone had in the past. And Franklin is one of the best fighters out there.

A confident Chael is a good Chael. I'm unsure if Chael would beat Anderson.

Some people have said that Anderson has shown some weakness in defending takedowns, like in his fight against Travis Lutter. Two points against that idea: One, that fight happened years ago; and two, Anderson has since improved. Exhibit A: His fight against Dan Henderson.

To calculate Chael's odds against Anderson, a consideration about Anderson's fight with Hendo should be considered.

Would Chael defeat Hendo? Probably not. Hendo's wrestling may be somewhat better than Chael's--but Hendo's standing striking is much better than anything Chael has shown in the WEC or UFC. Hendo would probably TKO Chael in a late second round victory.

Anderson deftly beat Hendo. Chael would probably lose to Hendo. So, logic would say Chael would lose to Anderson. But, then again, this is MMA, and anything can happen. Gotta love that 'X' factor.

And Demian Maia will soundly lose to Anderson Silva. The only way Maia wins is if he pulls out a surprise Flying scissor heel hook. I say Anderson allows the fight to proceed to the second round 'cause Maia's a fellow Brazillian, and finishes Maia early in the second round by punch-to-the-face (KO).

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Honestly, I think Anderson finishes Maia as soon as he wants to; like a cat toying with a mouse. It'll be a sad fight.[/QUOTE]

This. My opinion is that the wrestling/BJJ game is a chess match. And nobody is going to outthink Anderson Silva. The chance of beating him lies in hitting like a freight train and catching him with one good shot. That's what Belfort brought to the table. I'm sick to my stomach from seeing an amazing talent like Vitor continuously have his career derailed by shitty luck. Hope this doesn't make him lose focus and that he's able to come back strong and soon.

maia does one thing nobody else in the entire ufc does.

pulls guard.

this is his route to victory if he's gonna win. it works for aoki.

im a big big fan of maia as a fighter and a guy. IMO he has a better shot at silva than marquardt, at least maia is better than silva at something which is more than a lot of challengers can say.

[quote name='paz9x']im a big big fan of maia as a fighter and a guy. IMO he has a better shot at silva than marquardt, at least maia is better than silva at something which is more than a lot of challengers can say.[/QUOTE]
Thales Leites was better at something too.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Thales Leites was better at something too.[/QUOTE]

eh his mma bjj is questionable IMO, hes good but his mma bjj doesnt equal his bjj credentials, again my opinion.

I see no area where marquardt is even a threat to silva. hes got a punchers chance at best.
vitor is interesting because of his speed. it is what it is. in reality theres nobody at mw on the ufc payroll that I think is a real threat to silva. people want to argue about what each fighter has done to deserve their shot more than the next guy but I dont think it matters much. its exactly like the ww and lw situations, theres nobody in either of those divisions that will actually challenge the champs.

[quote name='paz9x']eh his mma bjj is questionable IMO, hes good but his mma bjj doesnt equal his bjj credentials, again my opinion.

I see no area where marquardt is even a threat to silva. hes got a punchers chance at best.
vitor is interesting because of his speed. it is what it is. in reality theres nobody at mw on the ufc payroll that I think is a real threat to silva. people want to argue about what each fighter has done to deserve their shot more than the next guy but I dont think it matters much. its exactly like the ww and lw situations, theres nobody in either of those divisions that will actually challenge the champs.[/QUOTE]
I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just sick of seeing Silva do nothing with the title. I don't think it's fair to say no one is a challenge to Silva when he hasn't actually challenged anyone significant in two years, save for Patrick Cote with a broken leg and Thales "flop 'til you drop" Leites. I suppose Maia is better than nobody fighting Silva, but I don't see him having a chance at all. Marquardt would lose too, but he's a better all around fighter and I think would've made for an exciting fight.

Anyone else really hyped for UFC 110 this weekend?

My predictions:

Nog over Velasquez via Sub
Wandy over Bisping via TKO
Stevenson over Sotiropoulos via Dec.
Jardine over Bader via Dec.
Cro Cop over Rothwell via TKO

Valasquez over Nog via TKO
Bisping over Silva..somehow
Sotiropoulos over Stevenson via sub
Bader over Jardine via decision
Cro Cop over Rothwell via decision

bam.

if wanderlei loses to that douche ill puke. imo guys like bisping have no right trying to make their name off someone like wanderlei.
bisping wins one way. gnp. best case scenario is to see bisping get clinched and wanderlei finish him via knees. id LOVE that. go wanderlei.

nog
stevenson
jardine
rothwell

I'm more pumped for this UFC than I have been for any in a long while.

Nog via decision
Bisping over Silva TKO (Ugh)
Sotriopolus over Stevensen via RNC after a stunning strike lands
Bader over Jardine via TKO
Cro Cop over Rothwell via decision

I am hoping for another Henderson like knockout on Bisping, I have never liked that guy and was never happier than I was when Henderson killed him. But I fear Wanderlei is too far gone at this point to beat Bisping.

I'll throw my predictions out there:

Nog over Velasquez via Sub
Wandy over Bisping via TKO
Sotiropoulos over Stevenson via Dec.
Bader over Jardine via TKO
Rothwell over Cro Cop via Dec.

Looking forward to these fights (the next several UFC cards should be good too).

i think that GST (yeah i just made that up) has the reach, bjj, and wrestling skills to really frustrate stevenson. we've seen joe struggle over the last few years getting outstruck and tapped out, and i think this fight could see another example of it.

if not i predict stevenson to grind out a decision. i seriously doubt his ability to finish GST.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i think that GST (yeah i just made that up) has the reach, bjj, and wrestling skills to really frustrate stevenson. we've seen joe struggle over the last few years getting outstruck and tapped out, and i think this fight could see another example of it.

if not i predict stevenson to grind out a decision. i seriously doubt his ability to finish GST.[/QUOTE]
I think this is too big a step up for GST. well see, i seriously doubt itll be boring.

[quote name='paz9x']im really surprised at all the sot. over stevenson picks.[/QUOTE]

Home court advantage has to be worth something, right? Seriously,I think this is going to be a close fight. I really don't see any blatently lopsided fights on the main card which makes me excited. However, I am a bit biased to the Pride guys.

[quote name='seen']He did; he must know about EBM.[/QUOTE]

Oh, of course he does. As much as he Tweets? haha...he's definitely in tune with the interwebz. I'm just surprised he mentioned it on air. That was freaking hilarious.

fucking Cro Cop. He's just not the same anymore. He should end his career with this W. Despite this, it's good to have a decent fight card again.

Bader wins by decision.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Anybody got a Sopcast channel or link please PM.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Looking for one as well. PM me if you have one[/QUOTE]

Careful talking about this guys. Shrike came in here last time and told people to stop.

Google is your friend. MMA TV is not difficult to find.

well a bit tentative to start but he came around. extremely happy to see wanderlei get the win, you never know how theyll score takedowns but they definately got that one right.

[quote name='paz9x']well a bit tentative to start but he came around. extremely happy to see wanderlei get the win, you never know how theyll score takedowns but they definately got that one right.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Wanderlai definitely did more damage in that fight. If anything, you could easily argue that he stole each round at the very end. He looked really good at 185. Hopefully this breathes some life back into his career.

HOLY CRAP! Who is that man and what has he done with Cain Velasquez?!? That is not the same Cain who couldn't put Cheick Kongo away. I didn't even think he was that impressive against Rothwell. But damn! Tonight he freaking showed POWER! Now I'm impressed.

hate to see such a genuinely good guy get beat like that but yeah. that was something. nice to see cain so humble in the post fight.

so whos cain fight next? dos santos/gonzaga winner? or carwin/mir loser? I think if mir loses we get mir/velsquez.

I think it'll be Cain vs winner of Dos Santos/Gonzaga around the same time as Lesnar vs winner of Mir/Carwin. That could be around June - July.

I wanna see Junior Dos Santos vs Cain. They both have quick and powerful fists. Never would've guessed Cain knocking out Nog like that...

[quote name='paz9x']hate to see such a genuinely good guy get beat like that but yeah. that was something. nice to see cain so humble in the post fight.

so whos cain fight next? dos santos/gonzaga winner? or carwin/mir loser? I think if mir loses we get mir/velsquez.[/QUOTE]

Dana had said the winner of this fight might get Lesnar
http://mmajunkie.com/news/17980/whi...ez-winner-could-get-first-crack-at-lesnar.mma

Not sure how that would work with an interim title floating around too.

[quote name='darth007']I think it'll be Cain vs winner of Dos Santos/Gonzaga around the same time as Lesnar vs winner of Mir/Carwin. That could be around June - July.

I wanna see Junior Dos Santos vs Cain. They both have quick and powerful fists. Never would've guessed Cain knocking out Nog like that...[/QUOTE]

Velasquez definitely pushed the pace and brought it straight at Nog. That was a brutal KO. The look on Herb Dean's face when he was trying to get Velasquez off of Nog and call the fight....it looked like Dean thought Nog had just been murdered.

UFC 110 was a pretty solid card, like I figured it would be.

Biggest surprises of the night were how good George was and Big Nog gettin' laid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back