MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know GST belonged in there with stevensen but that level of domination was surprising. i had a sinking feeling nog was gonna get laid out, but i still gave him a 55% chance of pulling out a decision.

i guess his ability to take damage has finally faded and his defensive skills are too low to stay in the heavyweight division. i wish he had maybe retired after couture.

Man, Velasquez was impressive. I talked a lot of shit about him after the Kongo fight, and he showed nothing special against Rothwell either, but after the fight against Big Nog, wow. He looked absolutely great.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Man, Velasquez was impressive. I talked a lot of shit about him after the Kongo fight, and he showed nothing special against Rothwell either, but after the fight against Big Nog, wow. He looked absolutely great.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly where I was with him. I even told my dad before the fight last night "Velasquez is garbage. He punches like a girl." Now I just hope a girl doesn't ever knock me the fuck out like that. For a guy who manhandled Kongo the entire fight but still couldn't put him away, Cain looked like a completely different fighter last night. Have to give credit where credit is due. He's definitely a contender now.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is exactly where I was with him. I even told my dad before the fight last night "Velasquez is garbage. He punches like a girl." Now I just hope a girl doesn't ever knock me the fuck out like that. For a guy who manhandled Kongo the entire fight but still couldn't put him away, Cain looked like a completely different fighter last night. Have to give credit where credit is due. He's definitely a contender now.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, exactly. I was talking to my dad too, actually, and we were talking about how soft his punches were. Well, something fucking changed because he showed a lot of power against Nog. He went from way overrated in my eyes to a definite contender. It's always cool to see a guy grow like that.

Hell yeah! Just bought my tickets for UFC Fight Night 21 in Charlotte! I couldn't justify $250 floor seats for a small show like this, so I went with the cheapies. Even if the seats suck, just the thought of being at a UFC event has me hyped as hell. The card actually looks pretty decent too. Can't wait! :)

Official Fight Card

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Rumored Fights

Man, Yushin Okami has fallen pretty far.

But that does look like a good card. Glad to hear you'll be getting the opportunity to see a live event, Nate!

Thanks guys! Florian is one of my favorite fighters, so I'm super stoked to get a chance to see him. I've also been a fan of Nate Quarry's since he was on TUF1. Rounding out a perfect night would be to see Roy Nelson get KTFO (although I doubt Struve can do it). Although I do find it amusing that he'll be fighting in the Bojangles Coliseum. He should feel right at home. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked into the octagon with a box of chicken, haha.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Thanks guys! Florian is one of my favorite fighters, so I'm super stoked to get a chance to see him. I've also been a fan of Nate Quarry's since he was on TUF1. Rounding out a perfect night would be to see Roy Nelson get KTFO (although I doubt Struve can do it). Although I do find it amusing that he'll be fighting in the Bojangles Coliseum. He should feel right at home. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked into the octagon with a box of chicken, haha.[/QUOTE]

the struve fight should be good. im interested to see how roy handles struves size. struve is pretty good on the ground so it shouldnt be too easy to crucifix him. either way good test for both guys.

I hope we see a good gomi.

Man, March is going to be a GREAT month for MMA:

WEC 47 - March 6th
Sengoku - March 7th
UFC: Vera vs Jones - March 21st
DREAM 13: March 22nd
Strikeforce Challengers - March 26th
UFC 111 - March 27th
UFC: Florian vs Gomi - March 31st
TUF 11: March 31st

Man, March is stacked!

Yeah I can't wait until all the March Madness gets here!!

Why is this fight on the main card

Middleweight bout: Nate Quarry vs. Jorge Rivera[1]
instead of this one?
Lightweight bout: Cole Miller vs. Andre Winner[1]
or this one?
Lightweight bout: Caol Uno vs. Gleison Tibau[1]

I really wanted Okami to fight Silva several years ago and he totally missed his chance. Sad, really.

With Gomi, Jason High, and Uno all fresh out of J-competition I'm really curious to see how things go down.

Just watched a bunch of Fedor's old fights. Man that guy is a friggin beast.

Unrelated: A lot of nights I watch Adult Swim so Cartoon Network is on when I turn my tv on in the morning and this morning when I turned it on the first thing I saw was a commercial with Bas Rutten telling kids to wash their hands. :lol:

This Strikeforce Challengers show is just terrible...and i'm not talking about the fighters. The commentators are just horrible.

[quote name='Droogs']This Strikeforce Challengers show is just terrible...and i'm not talking about the fighters. The commentators are just horrible.[/QUOTE]

Whats new?

Who the fuck thought the refs on "Challengers" tonight were qualified? Some of the worst reffing I've seen in a very long time. Aside from that, pretty crap show overall. Prangley/Amoussou was shaping up to be a good fight, so that sucked. Sarah Kaufman looked way too tentative and willing to grind out a decision against an obviously inferior opponent. She showed absolutely zero killer instinct.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Who the fuck thought the refs on "Challengers" tonight were qualified? Some of the worst reffing I've seen in a very long time. Aside from that, pretty crap show overall. Prangley/Amoussou was shaping up to be a good fight, so that sucked. Sarah Kaufman looked way too tentative and willing to grind out a decision against an obviously inferior opponent. She showed absolutely zero killer instinct.[/QUOTE]

She looked a little too worried about being submitted. I'm guesing there are probably some pretty big gaps in her ground game. She showed a decent enough sprawl though.

[quote name='Droogs']There's a few of them around here. But I can't see this catching on if the theaters don't sell alcohol.[/QUOTE]

thousands of teens will be at these. hence adults should AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

[quote name='Maklershed']
So what's up with UFC on VS? What's the point of it?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Having their fights on Versus is just another avenue to expand the promotion even further. The more it catches on the more likely we are to eventually see UFC on major network channels.

If you are talking about what's the point of the fight card...there are some pretty good match-ups on that card that are going to help determine who's in line for a title shot...I'm thinking a Jon Jones win over Vera could put him in position really soon to take on whoever is holding the light heavyweight title after Machida and Shogun battle again.

I meant, has Spike lost the rights to air UFC or is this some kind of way to cross promote WEC/mma on Versus? Why the change all of a sudden?

[quote name='Maklershed']I meant, has Spike lost the rights to air UFC or is this some kind of way to cross promote WEC/mma on Versus? Why the change all of a sudden?[/QUOTE]

its just additional programming, another avenue for more events.

Did anyone happen to catch the "big" strikeforce announcement on monday? I just remember they wouldn't stop talking about some huge announcement on the show they put on over the weekend.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Dana White used to always criticize Japanese organizations, namely PRIDE, for their "freakshow" matches and now he signs a 40something boxer with minimal MMA training? Come on.[/QUOTE]

Look, I don't think Toney is going to do anything either. But this isn't a "freakshow" move. He's just a fighter who has a strong background in one discipline and little to no training in many others. He's not the first fighter like that, and he's not the only one in the UFC who meets that criteria.

Here's a very interesting take on the signing.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/3/3/1335637/why-would-the-ufc-sign-james-toney

It certainly isn't because he's a world-class MMA fighter. So what could be the potential reasons? Let's run through the most likely possibilities:

1. Like the UFC did with Shamrock vs. Ortiz 1 and Royce Gracie vs. Hughes, the UFC will on occassion book mismatches to prove a point about the latest iteration of top-shelf MMA fighters competing when there is public misperception. In both the case of Shamrock and Gracie, there was a lingering belief among casuals that their era of competitors and their skill sets were tantamount to the most evolved, most technical fighters of the present day. White & Co. knew bettern but had to prove the most recent UFC product was the best. Boxing has had something of a resurgence or at least re-popularization of late although even without the resurgence the overall point of boxing vs. MMA (even though the odds are hardly fair) still holds sway. With the booking of the first major boxer to crossover into the MMA "big leagues", the UFC could be attempting to make an example of what is highly likely to be Toney's absymal MMA skill set.

2. The Herschel Walker effect. As White has curiously remarked (it makes perfect sense to me), ESPN and many in the traditional sports establishment still won't pay attention to MMA or the UFC, yet will when one of their favorite sons from another, more established sport gets in the mix. Toney is hardly as beloved as Walker, but the interesting mix of a former high-level boxer throwing his hat in the (ostensibly) top shelf MMA ring creates a new magic worthy of eyeballs from the same group. And if we refer to the first point, with their attention and a likely butchering of Toney at the hands of what should be a more than competent wrester, White could be killing two birds with one stone.

3. I don't find this particularly likely, but White could actually be curious about Toney's ability. Greg Savage Tweeted that Toney has been working (albeit on fundamentals) with Juanito Ibarra in recent weeks. In fact, I saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears Dana White tell Chad Dukes and Lavar Arrington Toney had been training in secret for quite some time. For anyone who takes elite-level MMA training seriously that still doesn't mean much of anything, but who knows what machinations lurk in the hearts of MMA fight promoters?

As for his ability with respect to MMA, he has none commensurate with the UFC. Even with his hands I'm curious to see what he can do. I'm sure he's got KO power, but so what? Lots of UFC heavyweights or light heavyweights do. Toney's shoulder rolling style was never really predicated on power to begin with and doesn't necessarily seem that helpful among boxing styles to translate over to MMA. He throws short punches, uses a lot of trunk movement and makes guys miss with clever slips, but if no one plans on standing within punching range, who cares? And if he presents what's sure to be sub-King of the Cage level takedowns, subpar submission defense and other requisite components of a MMA game, his former world-class hands are going to mean nothing.

We can speculate ad infinitum about what the UFC is trying to do. We'll find out soon enough. As for Toney, his motives are more transparent. Scott Christ of Bad Left Hook opines:
That's what UFC is signing. A faded, 41-year-old boxer whose mouth has long surpassed his in-ring ability, and who hasn't beaten a decent opponent in four years, not counting the Oquendo scoring debacle. He's also failed two drug tests in the last five years.
By no means is James Toney a bad boxer, even now. He's still got the sort of frustrating style that can give a lot of guys problems, and there are guys in my own boxing heavyweight top 10 I'd give him a very good chance to beat.
But will he translate to MMA? It's unlikely. I don't think he's that guy.
It's also hard to ignore that Toney has flat-out run out of boxing paydays. Part of it, as his promoter Dan Goossen says, is that a lot of guys want nothing to do with James. I buy that. Again, he's still got annoying skills, plus he's not selling to TV networks anymore, isn't worth a lot of money, and has been largely out of the spotlight since the Peter rematch. With no avenues open in boxing at age 41, UFC really might be worth a crack for James.
[UPDATE] by Nick Thomas - Dana White calls "James Toney is a legend":
"A lot of pro boxers have made a lot of noise about how they would do in mixed martial arts, but nobody on the level of a James Toney has been willing to back up his talk," said White. "He’s a legend whose boxing record speaks for itself, and he’s a guy who I’ve got a lot of respect for. Now he’s got every intention of matching that success in MMA, and I think he’s got the right attitude – let’s see if he can do it."

An opponent and date for Toney’s UFC debut has not been determined, and will be announced at a later date.​

[quote name='Droogs']Did anyone happen to catch the "big" strikeforce announcement on monday? I just remember they wouldn't stop talking about some huge announcement on the show they put on over the weekend.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know if this is the "announcement" or not, but they made their April 17th CBS card official. Henderson vs. Shields main event for the MW title, Melendez vs. Shinya Aoki for the LW title, and Mousasi vs. Mo Lawal for LHW. 3 title fights on one card is pretty nice. No sign of Fedor, though.

Signing James Toney could lead to some great stand up fights, which casual fans love to see, so I think it's a great move by the UFC, to be honest.

[quote name='JoshTX']Well, I don't know if this is the "announcement" or not, but they made their April 17th CBS card official. Henderson vs. Shields main event for the MW title, Melendez vs. Shinya Aoki for the LW title, and Mousasi vs. Mo Lawal for LHW. 3 title fights on one card is pretty nice. No sign of Fedor, though.[/QUOTE]

fedor/werdum is in may i believe on the same card with rogers/overeem.

henderson vs. shields on television? terrible idea.

they are praying for another bisping-style ko over shields but they probably won't get it.

[quote name='Maklershed']Can't wait to watch Leonard Garcia kick some ass tomorrow night. :whee:[/QUOTE]

Thats a WEC event live on Versus right Mak ?

I may watch it if I can drag myself away from BF:BC2.

[quote name='Maklershed']Can't wait to watch Leonard Garcia kick some ass tomorrow night. :whee:[/QUOTE]

Too bad he is stuck on the prelims. Hopefully his fight will still make it on air.

[quote name='benjamouth']Thats a WEC event live on Versus right Mak ?

I may watch it if I can drag myself away from BF:BC2.[/QUOTE]

Sure as hell is. C'mon its only 2 hours! :)

[quote name='Pavel6969']Too bad he is stuck on the prelims. Hopefully his fight will still make it on air.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope so too. He's one of the more exciting fighters they have. He just fires away at full strength and has an iron will*.

* see Huerta vs Garcia

[quote name='Maklershed']Sure as hell is. C'mon its only 2 hours! :)[/QUOTE]

battlefield is pretty fun, i can see the dilema.

Fedor won't be fighting on the 4/17 Strikeforce show, and Spike has put "the Best of PRIDE" on hiatus. Not so concerned about Fedor, but goddamn it, I love that Best of PRIDE show.

[quote name='benjamouth']Thats a WEC event live on Versus right Mak ?

I may watch it if I can drag myself away from BF:BC2.[/QUOTE]

I won't be watching it at all. Comcast locked Direct TV and TWC out of Versus a couple months ago (they own the channel) and I have no way of watching it or any other MMA on Vs. :bomb:

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Fedor won't be fighting on the 4/17 Strikeforce show, and Spike has put "the Best of PRIDE" on hiatus. Not so concerned about Fedor, but goddamn it, I love that Best of PRIDE show.[/QUOTE]

I was only made aware of Best of PRIDE a few weeks ago when I came across Frye vs Takayama while channel surfing. I squealed a little bit realizing PRIDE was back on cable TV. Sigh, so fleeting.

[quote name='JoshTX']I won't be watching it at all. Comcast locked Direct TV and TWC out of Versus a couple months ago (they own the channel) and I have no way of watching it or any other MMA on Vs. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

so you're stuck torrenting it the next day? :)

it was a decent event with a couple surprises, but i can tell you to skip the lic davis/taurosevius fight. nothing happens.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so you're stuck torrenting it the next day? :)

it was a decent event with a couple surprises, but i can tell you to skip the lic davis/taurosevius fight. nothing happens.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

I'm still reeling over the fact that Torres lost a 2nd fight in a row. That's not something I'd imagined could've happened. The guy previously hadn't lost a fight for something like 4 years, now hes 0-2 and suddenly people are talking that he might be washed up like Liddell or Pulver. Crazy.

well benvenidez came to rumble, that much was apparent in the first minute.
i saw a post from miguel today of him at the doctor. the gash in his forehead was epic tier sickness.

looking forward to more wec fights in the future as all the champions are in flux which can make for some hungry contenders.

fedor/barnett and fedor/overeem are the only 2 matches worth watching.

if they're not going to happen fedor has no relevance any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back