MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely should get the bad taste of 119 out of everyone's mouth.I got Garcia/Jung/Torres/Varner/Aldo.Could see Hominick taking a decision here though.Having to go with Varner just thanks to it being 3 rounds and Cerrone being one of the slower starters in MMA.Looks great by the end of the fight just can't seem to win those early rounds.Should be a great night of fights.

Edit: Wow Cerrone really put the pressure on for this fight.Completely dominated him at every spot and really drastically seemingly improved his wrestling showing a lot of viciousness.Roop really impressed using his range really good,didn't quite think he'd get the KO victory.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']We were talking about the fight over here, but I think Hominick lost...and the Roop headkick was very nice.[/QUOTE]

cookie-monster-wtf-is-this.jpg

Heads up: K1 World GP Final 16 featuring Ubereem tonight live from Japan 2am est on HDNET!

Also, WEC 51 was great. So many excellent fights. It really did wash away the wrongs of UFC 119. :lol: And how unstoppable is Aldo? Any chance of him being a lightweight in the UFC one day? A fight between him and Edgar would be epic and I think I'd give the edge to him. Although Edgar's boxing and take downs are no joke.

[quote name='Maklershed']Heads up: K1 World GP Final 16 featuring Ubereem tonight live from Japan 2am est on HDNET!

Also, WEC 51 was great. So many excellent fights. It really did wash away the wrongs of UFC 119. :lol: And how unstoppable is Aldo? Any chance of him being a lightweight in the UFC one day? A fight between him and Edgar would be epic and I think I'd give the edge to him. Although Edgar's boxing and take downs are no joke.[/QUOTE]

I saw somewhere either him or his manager said another 2 years or so. hes a young guy so im guessing hell move up as he matures physically.

I don't think his skills are quite there yet, but for the sake of pure speed, I'd love to see a fight between Melvin Guillard and Edgar. That fight would be like a freaking cartoon. Just a giant dust cloud with arms and legs flying out of it, haha.

I've said for awhile Aldo seems like an unstoppable machine.
Again, I have to say Manny's gameplan was totally dumb.

"Pace around...paw air...hope for bombs?"

The ONLY way Manny was gonna take Aldo was by turning the first round into a brawl and putting the ManVil on him. Leave it ALL in the first and second. There is no out-pointing someone that much more skilled at MT than you. Many should have just body/head bombed his way around that cage and hoped for the best. Worked vs. Brown, it could work vs. anyone.

Yeah at this point there's not a lot much more he can do in the WEC. Might as well jump to 155 and start taking names in the UFC. Would there be any reason that Zuffa/White/Fertitas wouldn't allow this? Maybe just to have a name in the WEC and try to bring more attention to it?

[quote name='Maklershed']Yeah at this point there's not a lot much more he can do in the WEC. Might as well jump to 155 and start taking names in the UFC. Would there be any reason that Zuffa/White/Fertitas wouldn't allow this? Maybe just to have a name in the WEC and try to bring more attention to it?[/QUOTE]

I think its good for the wec. aldo seems to be a likable guy. they need someone like that to sell their ppv's.

hes like anderson siva in that its beautiful to watch him fight, they both have a quality that gives a feeling youre watching something special.

Anyone watch K1 World GP Final 16 last night? Gokhan Saki looked incredibly impressive. His kicks were lightning fast, devastatingly powerful, and surgical. And Overeem is well .. just Overeem. Such an unstoppable monster.

Aldo did great on that fight, but what's his weakness? Apparently rumor has it he beats BJJ beasts in training and obviously his power and stand up is very good.

[quote name='Maklershed']Anyone watch K1 World GP Final 16 last night? Gokhan Saki looked incredibly impressive. His kicks were lightning fast, devastatingly powerful, and surgical. And Overeem is well .. just Overeem. Such an unstoppable monster.[/QUOTE]

saki did look very good. it was nice seeing hari get wrecked again, i cant get enough, that guys a prick.

Anyone try that EA sports MMA demo yet? I guess it's ok. Seems like the AI just goes for takedowns all the time but maybe that's because I was playing as Overeem and it was Lashley. The character models look good and the standup game is ok, the ground game still feels unnatural like it did in UFC Undisputed but I guess there really isn't any other way to do it.

Not really the "right" section, but nonetheless yes I tried the EA MMA demo and I did not like it very much. I find that UFC 2010 is better in every aspect.

i think the ground game is a lot better, but the standup suffers.

PROTIP: Turn controls to "Classic" and it handles much more like the UFC game which is nice.

one thing that interests me is the EA game lets you enable knees on the freakin' ground. so epic!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Not really the "right" section, but nonetheless yes I tried the EA MMA demo and I did not like it very much. I find that UFC 2010 is better in every aspect.[/QUOTE]

Not the "right" section? I thought this thread was for all things MMA. If it's only to discuss actual fights/fighters, I apologize.

[quote name='JoshTX']Not the "right" section? I thought this thread was for all things MMA. If it's only to discuss actual fights/fighters, I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think this is more of a real-fights kinda thread but its been slow so I don't care that some EA MMA thoughts have come into here.

Stylistically the UFC seems like they'll be throwing Nate Diaz a hardball matching him up with Dong Hyun Kim with his strong wrestling/judo.As much as I like Diaz I think I might have to just go with Dong Hyun Kim just shutting him out and keeping him on his back.Looks like it might have been made partly thanks to him running off and saying something like that everyone in the ufc uses steroids.Hopefully Dong Hyun Kim can make it to the fight without getting anoother injury and having to pull out.

Yeah but Diaz is pretty amazing on his back. He seems to manage to throw up triangles out of nowhere. At worst he's always threatening with something. Unfortunately though I don't know how many judges can identify that threatening from the bottom > just being on top.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Stylistically the UFC seems like they'll be throwing Nate Diaz a hardball matching him up with Dong Hyun Kim with his strong wrestling/judo.As much as I like Diaz I think I might have to just go with Dong Hyun Kim just shutting him out and keeping him on his back.Looks like it might have been made partly thanks to him running off and saying something like that everyone in the ufc uses steroids.Hopefully Dong Hyun Kim can make it to the fight without getting anoother injury and having to pull out.[/QUOTE]

Kim's submission defense is too good (as in, he takes 0 risk on top) and Diaz won't be able to avoid the takedown. Plays right into Kim's hand.

[quote name='Maklershed']Yeah but Diaz is pretty amazing on his back. He seems to manage to throw up triangles out of nowhere. At worst he's always threatening with something. Unfortunately though I don't know how many judges can identify that threatening from the bottom > just being on top.[/QUOTE]

This isn't Pride, even if Diaz was constantly attempting subs or beating him up off his back, he will lose. If Mousasi didn't beat King Mo, Diaz won't come close to beating Kim.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
This isn't Pride, even if Diaz was constantly attempting subs or beating him up off his back, he will lose. If Mousasi didn't beat King Mo, Diaz won't come close to beating Kim.[/QUOTE]

That fight immediately came to mind when i read maklershed's post.

Noons did better then I expected him to do.I thought he'd eventually get subbed but never happened.According to the compustrike thing oddly enough Noons threw around 200 more punches then Diaz and landed more of his hits with throwing somewhere in the 600's.Apparently Diaz and Mayhem almost got into another fight again backstage so hopefully they finally give the grudge match that everyone wanted in the first place but sadly it looks like Scott Coker may make Diaz's next match between the winner of Scott Smith and Paul Daley.

^Compustrike doesn't clearly show how the fight went. Yes Noons had more punches but a lot of them were short quick shots. A lot of the time Noons would be swinging wildly as Diaz did his patty-cake strikes to the face.

I thought Noons striking was a major disappointment; no faints, no head movement, no setting up his power shots. Diaz clearly respected KJ this fight as he seemed very hesitant at times making it a long fight.

They recently changed it to more closer to the actual fight.Here's a before and after pic from mmamania.I think GSP's style of coaching letting his fighters pick their own fights might come back to finally get him this week.

compu-error.jpg

Koscheck finally won a match.Going in I was it was about time for GSP to lose one and was thinking its about time for GSP letting his guys pick their own fights about to backfire on him.When they announced who was fighting who though had to go back on who I was picking and remembered being impressed with Spencer's fight on the first episode so went with him figuring Nam would just lose but Nam looked good himself during the fight here and had to give him both rounds.So far out of all the quarterfinalist I think I've been the most impressed with Nam so hes my early fav from all the episodes so far even though his record has shown somewhat of a suspect chin and might have a size issue as it goes on.

I havent' watched any of this season, I have no interest in the coaches fight at all, another decision win for GSP, and Dana has said that if he beats Martin Kampmann that Jake Shields will probably be getting the next title shot, another boring as hell title fight, there really aren't any challenges left for GSP at 170.

[quote name='dkreegz515']i missed a bit of the episode... what did Afro samurai do to that other dudes clothing in the washer?[/QUOTE]

replaced the laundry detergent w/ bleach.

He put bleach in Nam's fabric softener bottle, but Michael Johnson (?) used Nam's softener, and became irate.

Two weeks, two UFC shows. Good times. :)

[quote name='seen']UFC 120 will be kinda lame since it's going to be tape-delayed; even the main event isn't worthy of its billing.[/QUOTE]

I won't spoil it, but I will say it was worth the money. :rofl:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I won't spoil it, but I will say it was worth the money. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

As in "Free on SpikeTV"? lol...yeah, I was able to watch a live feed earlier. At least 121 is stacked as hell and only a week away!

Another lame UFC. I really think they'd benefit by running less PPV's. Get more exciting fights packed onto a card instead of having dudes that should be fighting on pre-lims at best on the main card.

Pumped for next weekend though. Really hope Hamill smashes Titos dumb face. Not too excited to see Shields UFC debut though since it'll most likely be a yawn-fest, just like all his other fights. Also, does anyone really see small ass Cain Velasquez winning, or even posing a threat to Lesnar? I sure as hell don't.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']As in "Free on SpikeTV"? lol...yeah, I was able to watch a live feed earlier. At least 121 is stacked as hell and only a week away![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was worth the price, which was free. Overall a pretty boring card IMO. Bisping/Akiyama was a good fight, but everything else was pretty boring. Hardy/Condit was too short to be a real good fight yet.

[quote name='SEH']Another lame UFC. I really think they'd benefit by running less PPV's. Get more exciting fights packed onto a card instead of having dudes that should be fighting on pre-lims at best on the main card.

Pumped for next weekend though. Really hope Hamill smashes Titos dumb face. Not too excited to see Shields UFC debut though since it'll most likely be a yawn-fest, just like all his other fights. Also, does anyone really see small ass Cain Velasquez winning, or even posing a threat to Lesnar? I sure as hell don't.[/QUOTE]

Hamill won't beat Tito, Karma will. :bomb: Making fun of a deaf guy, come on, Hamill's a better fighter then Tito ever was....

P.S. Lots of guy giving Velasquez a shot but I don't know how much of that is actual thought about the fight or just people riding the Cain Train?

It wasn't so bad and at least its free.For once I actually avoided spoilers of a tape delay free event and saw it as a surprise and the biggest was Carlos Condit KOing Dan Hardy.Didn't see that one coming at all and really was the first time seeing that kind of power out of him.Another surprise was Hathaway getting beat for the first time which should make some gamblers lucky gamblers pretty happy.

I wonder if they'll actually fire Tito after he loses, assuming he does which I think he will.He gets a lot of buyrates but at some point for 250k and a ppv percentage hes just not worth it.I don't think Cain poses as big of a threat as the Cain hype train would have you believe.At first glance I'd say Carwin would have been a bigger threat, but after seeing his gas tank for the first time I'd think Cain will do better for sure but don't buy them saying Lesnar will gas.He's now a natural 265er and doesn't cut weight so should have more cardio then he did in the fight with Herring and he went 3 rounds fine without any real problems but one would assume Cain will push the pace more then Herring but that might be somewhat hard to do if hes laying on his back from a stronger wrestler.

I think cain is a real threat. his stand up is sharp. its certainly interesting to me.

Thats the best Ive ever seen condit look.

anybody else laugh at the clip of bisping saying hes only ever lost one fight in his life besides the 2 bullshit decisions? what a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back