MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cain does have good standup (Brock also has a chin of steel though), but he's so tiny in comparison to Lesnar. Once Lesnar gets a takedown (which is inevitable) the fight will be over via prison rape.

Just a small little note.Picked up a UFC magazine and looked it at a little bit at the newstand and saw a little trivia in it that apparently the fighter with the biggest striking difference as in how many hits they can in compared to the person they're fighting and the highest on the list was Cain himself at firing off 6.1 hits for every hit he gets.Had like the top 6 but I forget the rest.Not a bright idea to stand up with him but I'm sure he knows and will impose his will on him

The thing is...if Brock is smart, he won't try to stand with anybody anymore. Like it or not, he came dangerously close to being KTFO against Carwin, and it was an unnecessary risk. This is why many people consider GSP to be a "boring" fighter...because he fights strategically and doesn't dick around in his opponent's area of strength. The quicker Brock gets the fight on the mat, the quicker he wins. That's all he should care about. Who the fuck cares if he's a good boxer? Until someone can outwrestle him, it's irrelevant.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The thing is...if Brock is smart, he won't try to stand with anybody anymore. Like it or not, he came dangerously close to being KTFO against Carwin, and it was an unnecessary risk. This is why many people consider GSP to be a "boring" fighter...because he fights strategically and doesn't dick around in his opponent's area of strength. The quicker Brock gets the fight on the mat, the quicker he wins. That's all he should care about. Who the fuck cares if he's a good boxer? Until someone can outwrestle him, it's irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Difference between Brock and GSP though is that Brock actually looks to finish while on the ground, where GSP just tries to dry hump his opponent until the bell rings.

[quote name='SEH']Difference between Brock and GSP though is that Brock actually looks to finish while on the ground, where GSP just tries to dry hump his opponent until the bell rings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the difference. :roll: Watch the Dan Hardy fight and tell me GSP didn't try to finish. Could you make a more ignorant "Hulk Smash!!!!" MMA fan comment? A-huh-huh. The difference is also GSP doesn't benchpress John Deer tractors on his ranch! Git-R-Done!!!!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, that's the difference. :roll: Watch the Dan Hardy fight and tell me GSP didn't try to finish. Could you make a more ignorant "Hulk Smash!!!!" MMA fan comment? A-huh-huh. The difference is also GSP doesn't benchpress John Deer tractors on his ranch! Git-R-Done!!!![/QUOTE]

The majority of GSP fights involve him laying on his opponent. I'm all for wrestling, but if you're going to do that, at least look for a finish. I know that a fighter goes out there to win, but they also get paid to entertain the crowd, something 95% of GSP's fights don't do.

Also, go fuck your mother.

gsp's opponents usually look pretty beat up as they raise his hand.

i definitely miss the stand up stuff he used to do, but he's no jake shields.

the hathaway fight was quite surprising and the condit fight was a good one.
i like to dvr these things so i can fast forward through all the nonsense.

[quote name='SEH']The majority of GSP fights involve him laying on his opponent. I'm all for wrestling, but if you're going to do that, at least look for a finish. I know that a fighter goes out there to win, but they also get paid to entertain the crowd, something 95% of GSP's fights don't do.

Also, go fuck your mother.[/QUOTE]

GSP tries for finishes more then people think he does, but its not like he is facing absolute bums. Though I was disappointed when he had Hardy's arm in a surefire submission but let him off the hook because he "didn't want to break his arm"

People criticize GSP for his style but hes a champion, you dont get to be and stay the champion by taking excessive risks. One errant punch can end a fight (GSP/Serra). Most of the time its the have-nots or never-wills talking about being exciting because they have to be exciting to be relevant.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Though I was disappointed when he had Hardy's arm in a surefire submission but let him off the hook because he "didn't want to break his arm"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really think that one just caught him off guard because 99% of fighters would rather tap than get their arm broken and not be able to train for 6 months. Apparently, Dan Hardy is just an idiot. Hopefully that fight will show GSP to show no mercy.

[quote name='paz9x']People criticize GSP for his style but hes a champion, you dont get to be and stay the champion by taking excessive risks. One errant punch can end a fight (GSP/Serra). Most of the time its the have-nots or never-wills talking about being exciting because they have to be exciting to be relevant.[/QUOTE]

It's this same reason I think Brock Lesnar would be stupid to ever try to stand and bang with any opponent ever again. If you're a better wrestler, wrestle. The mentality of "beating them at their own game" is how we wind up with Tim Sylvia getting KTFO by old ass Ray Mercer. Imagine if Randy Couture had this attitude when he fought Toney. "Boring" can also translate to "smart" in many cases.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I really think that one just caught him off guard because 99% of fighters would rather tap than get their arm broken and not be able to train for 6 months. Apparently, Dan Hardy is just an idiot. Hopefully that fight will show GSP to show no mercy.[/QUOTE]

GSP's probably too nice to show No Mercy. Nonetheless, he rarely has guys in that situation, so it may not come up again.

I just saw them myself today and I agree... wow.Whenever a celebrity or a WWE Diva(Besides Torrie and Sable separately) does playboy I feel somewhat disappointed seeing the goods but Arianny is glad to say just has a real great body.Person fav has to be either the one naked lifting weights or standing naked leaning against them about to pick a dumbbell up.Either way didn't disappoint.

[quote name='Matt Young']So hey, Arianny Celeste's Playboy pictures are available online now. I obviously can't post a link, but damn... wow.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Magiblaze']I just saw them myself today and I agree... wow.Whenever a celebrity or a WWE Diva(Besides Torrie and Sable separately) does playboy I feel somewhat disappointed seeing the goods but Arianny is glad to say just has a real great body.Person fav has to be either the one naked lifting weights or standing naked leaning against them about to pick a dumbbell up.Either way didn't disappoint.[/QUOTE]

Please do tell.
PM me if that's allowed. If not, you totally misunderstood me.

Looking forward to UFC 121. In a world of chick flicks, my girlfriend bought us tickets as a gift for our two year anniversary :D

Lesnar has my respect after Carwin. I can't say Cain will be bringing in anything better than Carwin (great striker/accuracy), but the size difference is going to a big difference. Lesnar has the size and strength advantage, and he's no slouch at speed and endurance.

Brock should win; I'm just hoping for a great fight.

No linky or the ban hammer gets dropped, even in the MMA thread...BTW, the pics have been on the web since the day the Playboy issue came out, so not exactly news.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Looking forward to UFC 121. In a world of chick flicks, my girlfriend bought us tickets as a gift for our two year anniversary :D

Lesnar has my respect after Carwin. I can't say Cain will be bringing in anything better than Carwin (great striker/accuracy), but the size difference is going to a big difference. Lesnar has the size and strength advantage, and he's no slouch at speed and endurance.

Brock should win; I'm just hoping for a great fight.[/QUOTE]

Lesnar, shockingly, is a bit underrated in terms of what he can do even still.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Lesnar, shockingly, is a bit underrated in terms of what he can do even still.[/QUOTE]

Well he was pretty much handed the belt, and aside from Carwin, who has come close?

The guy has a head made of rock and a lot of speed for his size. People just want to see him lose is all. Hell... I was cheering for Carwin to win; seriously, who expected a submission?

Well he was pretty much handed the belt, and aside from Carwin, who has come close?--- really... i'd say Mir did... and besides Carwin no one is near the size of the guy. he should hold the belt a long time.

[quote name='dkreegz515']Well he was pretty much handed the belt, and aside from Carwin, who has come close?--- really... i'd say Mir did... and besides Carwin no one is near the size of the guy. he should hold the belt a long time.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I think the WWF style showboating did him in on the Mir loss. I'm sure it was an eye opener.

I think people want to see Lesnar lose the title for a variety of reasons:

1) He bringing a worked Pro-Wrestling background into a legit fighting forum.
2) He's a rare breed of size, strength and ability.
3) He's relatively inexperienced in MMA.
4) He usually comes off as a dick even when he tries to be humble.
5) Dominant champions can kill interest in a division (See: Silva, Anderson) and he's too big so he can't switch classes should he clear out the division.
6) Meat Sword Tattoo

If it weren't for points 4 and 6, I'd be more of a Lesnar fan.

[quote name='ced']I think people want to see Lesnar lose the title for a variety of reasons:

1) He bringing a worked Pro-Wrestling background into a legit fighting forum.
2) He's a rare breed of size, strength and ability.
3) He's relatively inexperienced in MMA.
4) He usually comes off as a dick even when he tries to be humble.
5) Dominant champions can kill interest in a division (See: Silva, Anderson) and he's too big so he can't switch classes should he clear out the division.
6) Meat Sword Tattoo

If it weren't for points 4 and 6, I'd be more of a Lesnar fan.[/QUOTE]

People care too much about his tattoo. Obviously people so obsessed with it have other thoughts running through their head as well....

When Brock started his UFC career, I was rooting for him and was a fan because with his wrestling background I knew he could be the real deal. After the Herring fight that changed for me though, any fighter that just dominated a fighter for three rounds and then points and laughs at them losses all respect I have, I am not saying I dont respect the talent but he has been pretty classless since entering MMA. I might be able to respect him if he starts acting like a real champion(not a jackass) but it will take a few fight before that happens.

[quote name='icp_00_111']When Brock started his UFC career, I was rooting for him and was a fan because with his wrestling background I knew he could be the real deal. After the Herring fight that changed for me though, any fighter that just dominated a fighter for three rounds and then points and laughs at them losses all respect I have, I am not saying I dont respect the talent but he has been pretty classless since entering MMA. I might be able to respect him if he starts acting like a real champion(not a jackass) but it will take a few fight before that happens.[/QUOTE]

Personally I see a more changed guy in Lesnar since his illness. He seems a TON more humble and down to earth then before, though I'm sure he still thinks (and knows) he's the best heavyweight in the UFC.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Personally I see a more changed guy in Lesnar since his illness. He seems a TON more humble and down to earth then before, though I'm sure he still thinks (and knows) he's the best heavyweight in the UFC.[/QUOTE]

He is more humble, but I will have to see more of it before I believe it and start rooting for him.

Good Bellator event tonight although haven't been watching it as much as I did season 2 with all of the boring heavyweights this season.Askren vs. Lyman was a pretty good mostly grappling bout.Alvarez vs. Huerta really should have been for the title but in the end doesn't make a difference with as dominant as Alvarez looked as he simply just tore Huerta apart making it look real easy.I actually thought Huerta might win this one but came off pretty much dead wrong but I wonder of Huerta may have had a pre-existing injury coming into the fight as his legs seemed to get a tad wobbley even from the first few leg kicks and he looked slightly smaller then usual.It's kinda sad to think that hes now 1-4 in his last five fights compared to about two years ago when he seemed like a contender even though he got screwed with bad judges in the Curran fight.Frankie Edgar in the crowd supporting Eddie Alvarez.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='A Happy Panda']Finally watched this past week's Ultimate Fighter.

Marc Stevens is a retard and it was fucking HILARIOUS to see him get fuckin' choked out

LOL.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. What's been so strange to me is Koscheck seemed to pick all these intimidating, powerful guys with good wrestling (with the one exception being the only guy who has brought a victory to his team). And GSP picked guys with less experience, who don't look like they could do much, and they've been putting on a freaking clinic with their strategy and technique.

It's at the point now where I'm not even 100% convinced that the remaining fighters are the "best fighters" in the house. But GSP's team has done such a great job taking what they already know...and just enhancing it, that they're probably beating guys that they'd normally have no business beating. It's really pretty incredible. Meanwhile, you've got Koscheck's meatheads saying things like "I'll never tap!" *tap*, "He can't submit me!" *zzzzzzz*. I'm loving that GSP is owning Koscheck's ass in almost every way possible.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Couldn't agree more. What's been so strange to me is Koscheck seemed to pick all these intimidating, powerful guys with good wrestling (with the one exception being the only guy who has brought a victory to his team). And GSP picked guys with less experience, who don't look like they could do much, and they've been putting on a freaking clinic with their strategy and technique.

It's at the point now where I'm not even 100% convinced that the remaining fighters are the "best fighters" in the house. But GSP's team has done such a great job taking what they already know...and just enhancing it, that they're probably beating guys that they'd normally have no business beating. It's really pretty incredible. Meanwhile, you've got Koscheck's meatheads saying things like "I'll never tap!" *tap*, "He can't submit me!" *zzzzzzz*. I'm loving that GSP is owning Koscheck's ass in almost every way possible.[/QUOTE]

that clip of cody saying how stevens was better than him at everything but hed still just beat him, was a perfect example.

Also notice how nam is a respectful decent guy and hes the one with the win. the rest of them for the most part are morons, the bleached hair kid seems alright.

GSP is going to put an epic beating on koscheck.

I think its more or less Greg Jackson's superior coaching.It's really starting to look like it did with season 10 with Rashad Evans also bringing in Greg Jackson and his team to coach for him as well.Rampage's team went 1-7 against in the preliminaries against Rashad's team with Greg Jackson there and it looks like Koscheck is about to be the same already at 1-5.

It was real silly though lol.They know what his best move is and knew what would happen if he went for the takedown even talking about it being in his best interest to stand up but I suppose putting the pressure back on like GSP's team planned just made him go back to his roots ignoring the gameplan.

I think the last two guys that just won on GSP's team are definitely up there as the best in the house and could be semi finalist/ a finalist lol.

Who do you guys have for winning at batting? I'd go with Koscheck just for being American and thinking it isn't as big up there in Canada although from the preview clip it seems like GSP makes it pretty close.

Edit: So who do you have winning tonight at 121
My picks in bold

• Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez (for heavyweight title)
  • Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Shields
  • Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
  • Matt Hamill vs. Tito Ortiz
  • Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub - Tough pick to make but if Schaub hits that big nose it'll be all over
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
  • Ryan Jensen vs. Court McGee
  • Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor

My picks for this stacked card:

Brock - my first time ever picking him to win
Kampmann - don't know why but I wanna see Shields lose
Sanchez - YES!
Hamil - I hate Ortiz
Gonzaga - tough one for sure but Gonzaga is a funny guy

My Picks for tonight:
Cain (Puts on Flame-proof clothing. Have nothing against Brock at all... but I have a sneaking feeling Cain will shock everyone tonight and win the belt)
Shields
Sanchez
Hamill
Schaub
Spike Card:
McGee
Cote (Can't believe this is the same Cote who just 2 Years ago yesterday was Main Eventing UFC 90 against A. Silva... but I guess losing to Belcher in your 1st fight back from injury relegates you to Spike instead of PPV)

Should be a awesome night of fights!

Ugh...Jake Shields should make his nickname "The Illusionist". It's uncanny how he's able to give the impression that he's dominating a fight by doing nothing. I've never seen somebody gain mount so many times and not throw a strike or attempt a submission. It's like he has no interest in doing anything except wrestling and is just determined to win the fight based on position alone. My God he's a boring fighter.

Hahaha, love that one judge scored it for Kampmann. He must have been thinking "fuck this bullshit!" lol.

Main event time. 4 for 4 on the Main Card so far. Let's see if Cain completes the sweep!

Edit: DAMN!!!!!!!

I should start betting, i felt the 1st edgar/penn upset, i felt the fedor upset, and i felt this one.

not trying to be an after the fact douche, just saying.

edit - dos santos/cain is going to be awesome.

[quote name='homeland']Lesnar got jacked up! Why do they keep calling Cain a Mexican? He was born in California.[/QUOTE]

Heritage. By that standard, I'm going to start referring to myself as Italian, lol.

But damn that fight was amazing! I knew Carwin had the right strategy. Cain just perfected it!

[quote name='paz9x']I should start betting, i felt the 1st edgar/penn upset, i felt the fedor upset, and i felt this one.

not trying to be an after the fact douche, just saying.

edit - dos santos/cain is going to be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Well if you should start betting, I should buy a Lotto ticket tomorrow (5 for 5 Main Card 6 for 7 overall)... in fact I think I will!

Must admit, I wanted Cain to win...but really thought Lesnar would get the win...but hurrahhh...A COMER BURRITOS Y A BEBER CORONA LESNAR!!!!(EAT BURRITOS AND DRINK CORONA LESNAR)...In honor to the mexican heritage of Cain!!!....Remember he said that in the interviews in the pre shows on SPIKE!!!Now can we go back and prove that strength is not all in mma...How fast have we forgotten the allmighty FEDORRRRR...!!!!

Must admit, I wanted Cain to win...but really thought Lesnar would get the win...but hurrahhh...A COMER BURRITOS Y A BEBER CORONA LESNAR!!!!(EAT BURRITOS AND DRINK CORONA LESNAR)...In honor to the mexican heritage of Cain!!!....Remember he said that in the interviews in the pre shows on SPIKE!!!Now can we go back and prove that strength is not all in mma...How fast have we forgotten the allmighty FEDORRRRR...!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back