MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe it when I heard a judge gave Garcia that fight and then... the last judge even agreed and gave it to him as well.Was Cecil Peoples there and someone else went to a bathroom break for 15 minutes and decided to copy his scorecard?Such a bullshit decision.

that was definately one of the worst decisions Ive ever seen. I was impressed with nam, I think he belongs in the UFC.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Avoiding getting hit in the face by Dan Henderson should be a priority for every human being.[/QUOTE]

No shit. The last three fights had some really nice ko's

Not too bad of a TUF finale although would have been nice if it had a stoppage on the main card.Aside from the first fight the judges weren't too overly terrible.

Michael Johnson seemed like he he improved a good deal from when they taped TUF.His striking seemed more accurate and a lot faster then before and his takedown defense seemed improved as well however his cardio looked the same as before unfortunately.The first round I think you could even make the arguments of a 10-8 round and seemed a little more fierce then the 10-8 round that whatever judge gave to Brookins in round 2 or 3.

The Nam vs. Garcia fight has to be the worst judged fight for the year that I can think of.

[quote name='Magiblaze']The Nam vs. Garcia fight has to be the worst judged fight for the year that I can think of.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I loved hearing Rogan rip into the judges after that, calling them incompetent morons. I just need somebody to explain to me how one judge can give all 3 rounds to Nam, while another (well..two others) give 2 rounds to Garcia. In terms of scoring, that is SO FAR apart it's embarrassing. It makes it look like they weren't even watching the same fight.

If the Nevada State Athletic Commission doesn't see something wrong with that, I don't know what it's going to take. A close fight 29-28 split decision, sure...that's a difference of overvaluing a takedown or something. But one judge thought Nam won the fight convincingly and the other two thought he lost. What the hell is that?

As for the Brookins - Johnson fight, I'm happy that Brookins won but honestly, I think Johnson is closer to becoming a more complete fighter. A better striker would have put Brookins out in that first round. He's not going to get very far leaving his hands down and sticking his chin out. I swear to God, one time I saw Johnson throw a combination and Brookins actually lowered his hands. Johnson just needs to work on his cardio and he'll be a BEAST. I couldn't believe how much he's improved since the Bruce Leroy fight.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
As for the Brookins - Johnson fight, I'm happy that Brookins won but honestly, I think Johnson is closer to becoming a more complete fighter.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with this more. I have a feeling 2 or 3 years down the line Johnson will be going strong and Brookins will be fading away.

Watched video of the Phan-Garcia fight with sound off just to be sure. Goddamn that was a total bullshit decision. Two takedowns do NOT win a fight. Looked at the CompuStrike stats and seriously that's ALL Garcia got.

Standing Strikes:
Phan 122/247 (61 Power)
Garcia 66/281 (39 Power)

Ground Strikes:

Phan 17/20 (7 Power) Garcia 4/8 (ZERO POWER)

Takedowns:

Phan 0
Garcia 2/3

Dominant Positions:

Phan 1
Garcia ZERO

He even did fuck all with those takedowns on top of it.

It's OK though since we know Phan's going to get a contract anyway as evidence by him getting a win bonus despite losing. UFC would be dumb as hell not to sign Nam after this fight. It's just a shame that the judges robbed him out of the bragging rights.

Picks for UFC 124 this Saturday.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck
Sean McCorkle vs. Stefan Struve

Jim Miller
vs. Charles Oliveira - Going against the flow on this one.While Oliveira has shown really great jit jutsu and an improving stand up game but I think Miller's wrestling will be the biggest difference and will be able to grind out a decision here and hes got good enough jit jutsu where I don't think he'll get subbed.

Mac Danzig vs. Joe Stevenson - Sucks for Danzig but with this loss he'll be be 1-5 in his last six fights and even though hes kept his job so far thanks to being a TUF winner I think this just might be the one that gets him fired with the new divisions added on but maybe he can get lucky and get one more fight.

Thiago Alves vs. John Howard - Always interesting to see if Thiago will even make weight these days but I think hes got enough takedown defense to stop most of the takedowns and keep it standing.

Anyone can beat anyone else in MMA. All it takes is one good punch/kick and it's all over...just ask GSP.

That's what really makes the sport exciting is that you never REALLY know who's going to win what.

I think miller is going to control oliveira. I think oliveira is better but i see miller just out working and frustrating him. Id like to see oliveira continue his streak and move forward in the division though.

Just a heads up - no prelims on Spike tonight but there will be two free prelims on ufclive.com tonight at 9pm est. Its gonna be Bocek vs Hazelett and Doerksen vs Miller.

[quote name='Ronzilla']anybody else having problems with UFC.com Live Stream?[/QUOTE]

Working good for me. Nice picture, no lag. I'm digging this.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Nope, I think you have to have silverlight installed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Maklershed']Working good for me. Nice picture, no lag. I'm digging this.[/QUOTE]

Well it finally is working for me. Silverlights installed so I'm ok there. Probably just some heavy gridlock in my neck of the woods.

Bocek looked solid even though I only got to see about a minute of that fight.

[quote name='bobo2k4']2 great fights so far. Alves is back!!![/QUOTE]

Hell yeah man, I have always liked the guy, his last fight, hurt em, having to cut all that weight

Despite what some have said about the card, UFC 124 has been an exciting, satisfying show. If the main event rides the train of excitation, this will be one of the better cards of the year.

[quote name='Chase']Despite what some have said about the card, UFC 124 has been an exciting, satisfying show. If the main event rides the train of excitation, this will be one of the better cards of the year.[/QUOTE]

For sure dude, so far a good show.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']For sure dude, so far a good show.[/QUOTE]

Main event has been great, thus far, too. :D

Kos stuffed a couple takedowns, and struggled but took down GSP. GSP is working that jab like a pro.

GSP really impressed tonight. I'm always happy to see a guy that talks up a mad shit storm get shown up by a more humble fighter. Kiss Montreal's ass after you get yours kicked. :)

[quote name='bobo2k4']I hope this is a joke post.[/QUOTE]

:roll: KOS was rocked and ready to be KO'd in round 3 but as Dana White has mentioned the Jackson camp game-plans seem to be just grind out a win (also GSP doesn't KO people close to his size with the exception of Hughes); BORING.

Don't get me wrong KOS isn't anything special himself and talks a lot of trash and punks out (A.Johnson eye-poke comes to mind). KOS was blinded in the right eye in the 3rd round yet GSP failed to abuse that weakness.

I REALLY can't wait to see GSP gain some size and move up to challenge Anderson Silva. That will be FIGHT OF THE CENTURY. There's just nobody who can beat him in the welterweights.

[quote name='Gears24']GSP really impressed tonight. I'm always happy to see a guy that talks up a mad shit storm get shown up by a more humble fighter. Kiss Montreal's ass after you get yours kicked. :)[/QUOTE]

St-Pierre showed a lot of class by trying to calm the crowd's jeers towards Kos. He didn't have to point out how Kos played promoter, and tried to hype their fight, but he did, and seemingly got the crowd to somewhat cheer Kos.

I found myself impressed by Kos stopping GSP's early takedowns and scoring a takedown on GSP at the end of Round 1. That showed the strength of Koscheck's wrestling.

GSP, himself, had an impressive outing throughout the entire fight. I think a five-round ass-whoopin' is far more impressive than a Round 1 knockout. GSP humbled Koscheck. If GSP had knocked out Kos in Round 1, Kos could say it was a lucky punch, and so forth. He can't say that after a five-round schooling.

And I'm really glad Mac Danzig scored a victory over Joe Stevenson. I like Danzig, and after watching his UFC 124 Countdown story, found myself cheering him more than usual. I definitely want to see him improve and make something of his potential.

[quote name='Ronzilla']I REALLY can't wait to see GSP gain some size and move up to challenge Anderson Silva. That will be FIGHT OF THE CENTURY. There's just nobody who can beat him in the welterweights.[/QUOTE]

I'm uncertain if I want to see Georges St-Pierre fight Anderson Silva. Silva is 6-feet 2-inches with a 77.6-inch reach. GSP is 5-feet 10-inches with a 76-inch reach. Silva probably has longer legs. GSP is probably better at more areas than Silva. Silva's fight with Chael Sonnen has lead us to believe Silva has some level of difficulty against strong, quick wrestlers. GSP's wrestling is some of the best in MMA.

I can see Silva-GSP ending in only two outcomes. The first, GSP uses his takedowns, and grinds out a Unanimous decision win. The second, Silva catches GSP with a hard punch, and earns a TKO.

I'm interested to see who would win, and how they would win, but, honestly, I don't want to see GSP lose. Silva has been a cocky, disrespectful ass, while GSP has been modest and classy. It would be tough to see GSP lose to Silva.

I think GSP does have a great shot against Silva with his amazing wrestling, but I think Silvas naturally much larger frame would be too much. I think the power that he would hit George with would be WAY different to anything GSP has been hit with.

GSP would destroy Anderson with his wresting IMO, but I'm honestly disinterested in seeing him in more boring fights. He stood in this fight, but you can see the super passive, safe, no risk, take it slow gameplan applies not only to GSP's top control but also his striking. Working behind the jab was nice, but he rarely followed through with anything and was unwilling to finish Koscheck off, which he could have done with ease if he would have been willing to throw a few hard shots.

it's easy to criticize gsp but if millions were riding on what you did in there, you might decide being prudent is the way to go. american fans put waaay too much value on winning and not enough of entertaining. the japanese do it better in this regard.

[quote name='Ronzilla']"Pierson loses job at Toronto PD after winning his debut fight at UFC 124." That's unfortunate. If I was a Toronto citizen, I'd WANT Pierson upholding the law.

News Article LINK[/QUOTE]

mma sites picked that up a day or two ago. A bit lame, sucks for the guy. I can understand TPD's issues though.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']it's easy to criticize gsp but if millions were riding on what you did in there, you might decide being prudent is the way to go. american fans put waaay too much value on winning and not enough of entertaining. the japanese do it better in this regard.[/QUOTE]

Thats the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back