MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a preview clip of Tito on TMZ two nights ago.Apparently he ran out of gas and ran down some guy to go get him some and ended up only giving him a handshake and didn't end up paying the guy for the gas.

The final WEC event on tonight.The MMA awards are coming on too starting at 7 and after that they have the preview show and then the event.Should be a great night of fights.I wonder if they'll go with the regular announce team or with Goldberg and Joe since they're merging/merged after tonight.

Picks for tonight

Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis
Dominick Cruz vs. Scott Jorgensen
Donald Cerrone vs. Chris Horodecki
Bart Palaszewski vs. Kamal Shalorus
Shane Roller vs. Jamie Varner

Can't wait for the fights to start. WEC events are always amazing (bye bye :cry:). And here are my picks:

Henderson
Cruz
Cerrone
Palaszewski
Quan
Varner

Good lord at Pettis' matrix kick.
12.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing kick.Just crazy and never seen anything quite like that before.Great main event and just so close,with 1 min and 30 seconds left I still didn't have a winner for that fight until that kick came and nearly KOed Henderson.Before the main event I was somewhat disappointed since with WEC events you almost always get at least one GREAT fight but then after seeing the main event happy to say theres the GREAT fight I was missing.Sad to see WEC gone now with there being overall less free mma events now but what a great way to end the WEC with that main event :applause:.

Pretty sure it is since its just pushing off of the fence.Even if just to do a kick and isn't grabbing it so its allowed as far as I'm aware.If it wasn't for that kick it really could have went for a decision either way but bam just so unexpected.Looks like we'll get Cruz and Faber as coaches for TUF with them beefing up their rivalry tonight.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Pretty sure it is since its just pushing off of the fence.Even if just to do a kick and isn't grabbing it so its allowed as far as I'm aware.If it wasn't for that kick it really could have went for a decision either way but bam just so unexpected.Looks like we'll get Cruz and Faber as coaches for TUF with them beefing up their rivalry tonight.[/QUOTE]

id rather see torres and faber as coaches.
Im more and more impressed with cruz everytime I see him.
His style is really entertaining.

good to see showtime really earn the name. simply incredible.

a worthy cap to a fun org that i've enjoyed over the years.

Pettis is going to become a marketing beast in the UFC, with all of his highlight reel moves they will hail him as the most exciting fan favorite of all time. Although I can't disagree too much, he's on my favorite's list right now.

P.S. Yes, I return to the MMA thread!

My picks for UFC 125 this Saturday.

Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard TKO Round 5
Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann TKO Round 2
Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva Unanimous Decision
Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim Unanimous Decision
Clay Guida vs. Takanori Gomi Unanimous Decision

Liddell Retires; ‘Iceman’ Named to UFC Executive Position

We knew it was coming but hate to not ever see him fight again. Maybe he can pull a Brett Favre :D.

Sherdog article LINK

You Da Man Iceman :applause:

I think he'd induce more of a Mark Coleman "God I wish he'd stop fighting" response than the "God I hope he dies" Brett Favre reaction if he kept on fighting.

Shame to see him go out on a three stoppage losing streak, but at the same time, I'm not surprised at all by the announcement specifically for that reason. Hopefully the office life treats him well.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I have to wonder what the actual duties of Liddell will be? The guy is punchdrunk, obviously, and is rarely even seen unless he's off partying.[/QUOTE]

On paper he's the Executive Vice President of Business Development. I'm thinking he'll be taking in a salary to mingle with company brass, show up at PR events and toe the company line. He could actually do more with the title, but I'm leaning towards him being a figurehead as a token of gratitude.

Placed my bets for tonight. Trying a new strategy of just going with my gut since I've been slipping a bit with the trying to be clinical about it.

Edgar beats Maynard
Leben beats Stann
Silva beats Vera
Kim beats Diaz

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Nice card, good fights, the Edgar/Maynard draw was very fair and I can't wait to see the third fight. :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Outside of the first round, I don't feel Maynard did enough to take the belt away. He squeaked out a 10-9 in the 3rd round, and the 5th round was basically a tie (which SHOULD go to the champion...they're not giving the belt away thanks to a 10-10 round). 47-47 was how I had it. It looks like an immediate rematch is in the cards (and definitely warranted) since the Pettis title shot is more of a formality than anything.

I hated seeing Leben lose, but it proves why champions don't fight like that. Slugfests may be "exciting" but they make for a terrible fight strategy. Considering how much Leben's ground game has improved (see: triangle against Akiyama), it's a shame he chose to just stand there like a goon and swing wildly.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Agreed. Outside of the first round, I don't feel Maynard did enough to take the belt away. He squeaked out a 10-9 in the 3rd round, and the 5th round was basically a tie (which SHOULD go to the champion...they're not giving the belt away thanks to a 10-10 round). 47-47 was how I had it. It looks like an immediate rematch is in the cards (and definitely warranted) since the Pettis title shot is more of a formality than anything.

I hated seeing Leben lose, but it proves why champions don't fight like that. Slugfests may be "exciting" but they make for a terrible fight strategy. Considering how much Leben's ground game has improved (see: triangle against Akiyama), it's a shame he chose to just stand there like a goon and swing wildly.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was just bad gameplanning for Leben to brawl with Stann. First of all, he hurt Stann in the clinch with an uppercut, but aside from that I thought Leben looked very sluggish and off. Slower then usual and Stann doesn't punch so hard that he would have dropped Leben with one punch like he did unless Leben was off on that night. Leben undedication to the sport ended up getting him knocked out IMO, he has a pending DUI case.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I don't think it was just bad gameplanning for Leben to brawl with Stann. First of all, he hurt Stann in the clinch with an uppercut, but aside from that I thought Leben looked very sluggish and off. Slower then usual and Stann doesn't punch so hard that he would have dropped Leben with one punch like he did unless Leben was off on that night. Leben undedication to the sport ended up getting him knocked out IMO, he has a pending DUI case.[/QUOTE]

His coach is saying he was pretty sick, vomiting during the pre-fight and such. I didnt see it but apparently he seemed unusual during his pre-fight interview too.

[quote name='paz9x']I read that about an hour ago, I didnt even know that was pending. That is VERY bad for sonnen, potentially career ending.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, probation and a big fine, is what will happen

[quote name='paz9x']His coach is saying he was pretty sick, vomiting during the pre-fight and such. I didnt see it but apparently he seemed unusual during his pre-fight interview too.[/QUOTE]

I read that a bit after the fight as well. Completely explains Leben's performance and hopefully the two can rematch sometime soon.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I doubt it, probation and a big fine, is what will happen[/QUOTE]

No priors I believe, and him pleading guilty should get the athlete probation and a big fine like you said, but this is not good for Sonnen. Apparently the guy's been getting himself into a lot of not-so-good stuff recently. :rofl:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']No priors I believe, and him pleading guilty should get the athlete probation and a big fine like you said, but this is not good for Sonnen. Apparently the guy's been getting himself into a lot of not-so-good stuff recently. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no priors and a non-violent crime, you get let off with slap on the wrist

Just watched the UFC last night (recorded) so here's my two cents:

Leben...I really hope you were sick...
Kim...Amazing control and striking. Totally outclassed Diaz for most of the fight but that end part is worrisome.
Guida... Hell yeah! Well played implementation of a gameplan and good job giving Gomi an out because he typically folds the first chance he gets.
Edgar... HEART OF A LION. I think he cleanly won the fight by taking rounds 2, 4, and 5 and one could even make an argument for 3. Look forward to Pettis fight.
Baroni...felt just like the Leben fight. had his opponent hurt, went to close, got ko'd. at least he's not still training with hammer house...but his jaw just can't support a career at this point.
Vera...What the hell happened in there? You were so game on the feet and then it hit the ground and lethargy and panic set in apparently. What about this "Lloyd Irvin Grappling Blueprint" you're supposed to be trained in. Watching his ground performance depressed me as there were many times he could have escaped.

I just bought tickets to UFC 128. I'll be sitting in section 7, row 23. :whee:

MAIN CARD
  • Champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans (for light-heavyweight title)
  • Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
  • Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
  • Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub*
  • Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Nate Marquardt*
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
  • Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani
  • Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau
  • Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle*
  • Nick Catone vs. Dan Miller*
  • Luiz Cane vs. Karlos Vemola*

how much did that run you?

I'm thinking Evans, Faber, Shalorus, Schaub, and Marquardt as winners.

I have to say UFC 126 looks positively nuts:

Main card

Preliminary card

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']how much did that run you?

I'm thinking Evans, Faber, Shalorus, Schaub, and Marquardt as winners.

I have to say UFC 126 looks positively nuts:

Main card

Preliminary card

[/QUOTE]

that card is going to be awesome.
torres is going to demolish banuelos
and how is ellenberger on the main card instead of the sure fire exciting fight kid/johnson is going to be?

[quote name='paz9x']and how is ellenberger on the main card instead of the sure fire exciting fight kid/johnson is going to be?[/QUOTE]

+1. How the fuck do you not put Kid on the main card?

Didn't really expect Brock to actually do it seeing as how hes a pretty private person and hates doing the rounds with the media and has his own gym just so he could stay closer to home.Out of what was then the "Big Rookie 4" Lesnar will be the first to face all of them after already facing Cain,Shane and going to be Santos.I actually think he'll have a better chance here then against the others with Santo's perceived lower takedown defense then the rest and wrestling being pretty much solely only his thing since with his age I don't think hes really going to improve that much at this point.

Not really a fan of interim belts being used like this though.Cain will be gone for only 6-8 months, and really the interim belt will only be fought for once during that period with the long layoff,maybe they'll rethink it being for an interim title.Still slightly surprised its Santos though.I thought they'd give him an easier fight to build him back up but then again there are rumors out there that Brocks wanting to leave MMA now after getting embarrassed like the last fight.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']how much did that run you?[/QUOTE]

With all the ridiculous "convenience" charges, taxes, and processing fees it was about $400 a ticket.

I'm surprised. This will be a test of Lesnar's fighting spirit. I imagine Lesnar will leave MMA if he acquires another loss. Dos Santos is a warrior for choosing to fight Lesnar. Guy has worked hard to get a title shot, and may wind up losing it.

[quote name='Maklershed']With all the ridiculous "convenience" charges, taxes, and processing fees it was about $400 a ticket.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, that is a pricey event. I just came back from Japan and went to the Dream Dynamite event and it only cost about $150 for some decent seats.

High-priced—but hopefully worth it. The card does look pretty stellar. :)

Additionally, about Lesnar-Dos Santos as coaches for TUF: Lesnar always comes off as a person who enjoys their privacy. He has been humble, in his wins and losses, after his rivalry with Mir. My guess is that Brock, nor Dos Santos, will sell the fight, and this will be one of the boring seasons of TUF. Only Mir-Lesnar could have created a boom similar to GSP-Koscheck, Hendo-Bisping, etc. That is unless Lesnar pulls a pro wrestling "heel turn."

[quote name='bobo2k4']Holy crap, that is a pricey event. I just came back from Japan and went to the Dream Dynamite event and it only cost about $150 for some decent seats.[/QUOTE]

ok i have never been more jealous of a CAG than i am right now.
WHY DIDN'T I GO TO DYNAMITE?!?

*I'm starting at AMC Pankration with Matt Hume on Monday. Maybe I can go to a Japanese event with the gym sometime.

I'll tune it for every episode of the season if I can just because of Lesnar,but it was somewhat of a lack of response or getting thrilled about it because of Dos Santos, hes definitely a top guy but he hasn't shown much charisma yet and isn't much of a ticket seller just yet.Brock will definitly do something to make people hate him for,sure of it, just going to have to wait for it lol.

Just put my bets in for tonight ...

Evan Dunham beats Guillard
Meathead beats Tim Hague
Mark Hominick beats Roop
Joey Beltran beats BlackBarry
Cole Miller beats Matt Wiman

And don't forget - the live stream goes up at 7pm est @ facebook.com/ufc (you've got to "like" ufc to see the stream apparently)

Handsome Matt Wiman!
Kicked ass!
Thanked the Troops!
Left the TV on at home so his animals could watch him fight!

MY NEW FAVORITE FIGHTER!!!!

wiman looked really good and i was surprised he won.
guillard working with jackon's has been nothing but awesome for him thus far.
i was a bit surprised at how easily hominick walked through roop.

not a bad night of fights...at least it wasn't as decision heavy as sengoku.

Anyone else slightly surprised with how most and seemingly all people/media believe Pat Barry won the fight?I picked Pat Barry for a draft with friends and even I thought he lost that fight.With Pride rules I could see Barry winning or if it were a 5 round fight and kept going on but rounds 1 and 2 seemed like Beltran's.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Anyone else slightly surprised with how most and seemingly all people/media believe Pat Barry won the fight?I picked Pat Barry for a draft with friends and even I thought he lost that fight.With Pride rules I could see Barry winning or if it were a 5 round fight and kept going on but rounds 1 and 2 seemed like Beltran's.[/QUOTE]

I was rooting for barry and was surprised he won. prior to him coming alive at the end of the third i thought he had certainly lost that fight. Throughout the fight I thought he was clearly the better fighter but was getting out worked and beltran was controlling the fight with his aggressiveness and clinch. Although, outside of the flurry that bloddied barry i didnt think beltran did anything to him.

That fight really made me a fan of beltran, that head kick he took was pretty gnarly and he never stopped coming forward. dude is a tough tough guy with a lot of heart and i appreciate that.

Anyway, i think it was a close fight, but barry did a lot of damage, he just took his time to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back