MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy Couture vs Brandon Vera: 50/50 Couture by GNP or Vera via leg kicks.
Mike Swick vs Dan Hardy: Swick via KO or swickatine
Denis Kang vs Michael Bisping: No idea, it will probably go to decision. Leaning towards kang via sub.
James Wilks vs Matt Brown: Wilks via knees i think.
Ross Pearson vs Aaron Riley: Pearson via war

Paul Taylor vs. John Hathaway: Hathaway via TKO
Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty: if Gugerty can get it to the ground he'll win via sub, otherwise Etim will win on the feet.
Paul Kelly vs. Dennis Siver: Silver via standup war
Andre Winner vs. Roli Delgado: Winner via decision
Matt Riddle vs. Nick Osipczak: Riddle via GNP
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jared Hamman: no idea, but some1s getting KOed!

Wow, nice showing from Bisping! He looked like a broken fighter in the first round, but he somehow dug deep and remembered how to fight again. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep that killer instinct and intensity going into his next fight.

Yeah seriously Bisping vs Kang was quite the match. The crowd went crazy every time Bisping went back into guard in round 1. Kang was trying to mount too much. Then the dominance in round 2 by Bisping was surprising. The commentary was ridiculous, they had a hard on for Bisping.

Btw all the matches beforehand were full of flying knees. It was like a bunch of Sagats fighting.

Damn, Dan Hardy's got crazy power. I was really pulling for Swick in that one, but he got rocked numerous times. I guess it doesn't really matter though because even though Swick wasn't able to take Hardy down, I can promise you GSP will. I don't know how Mike Swick always looks like the smaller fighter, no matter what weight class he's in. He's only an inch taller than Hardy, but he always looks so damn skinny.

Well, chalk up another "victory by holding". Don't get me wrong. Randy did exactly what he had to do to win the fight, but I just feel like this is all he's got left. He's not an exciting fighter anymore and his career is hanging by a thread. I don't see him getting far in the LH division at all. Dana better get his "Chuck Liddell Retirement Speech" ready.

EDIT - Wow, Joe Rogan even said he thought Vera should have won and that there's a serious judging problem in MMA. I think Joe's getting tired of wrestlers just getting the benefit of the doubt for having "dominant position" all the time. And he's like Randy's biggest fan, so that's really saying something.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, chalk up another "victory by holding". Don't get me wrong. Randy did exactly what he had to do to win the fight, but I just feel like this is all he's got left. He's not an exciting fighter anymore and his career is hanging by a thread. I don't see him getting far in the LH division at all. Dana better get his "Chuck Liddell Retirement Speech" ready.
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the Nog v Randy fight good? Exciting? I thought it was a hellva match (that one not this one since I haven't seen it yet...but now not sure I want to watch them)

[quote name='joshnorm']Wasn't the Nog v Randy fight good? Exciting? I thought it was a hellva match (that one not this one since I haven't seen it yet...but now not sure I want to watch them)[/QUOTE]

And who won that fight? Is the extent of your argument that Randy is a good gatekeeper? Really? I'm just saying, he was BARELY able to handle Vera. Vera knocked him down once, took him down once, and landed several brutal body kicks. The extent of Randy's "dominance" was holding him against the cage. I'm a big believer in the "controlling the fight" argument, but you still have to draw the line somewhere.

MMA judging desperately needs an overhaul. "Octagon control" is such a meaningless criteria in my mind. How about damage and effort to finish the fight? The UFC is a wrestler's dream organization.

[quote name='One4Deuce']MMA judging desperately needs an overhaul. "Octagon control" is such a meaningless criteria in my mind. How about damage and effort to finish the fight? The UFC is a wrestler's dream organization.[/QUOTE]

it really is. i think thats why you see a lot of fighters that come from other organizations struggle.
i thought randy won the first on control as there wasnt anything else to judge. the second i thought vera certainly won and i thought the 3rd was close until the vera takedown which i thought won it for vera.

tough loss for vera but outside the werdum fight i think all his losses could have gone the other way.
he looked good in this fight, i think he was a bit tentative in letting his hands and legs go because of being held against the cage for the whole round.

[quote name='seen']Extremely OTT, but I got Pacquio via 11th rnd KO or UD over Cotto.[/QUOTE]

Man this was a great fight! I'm sure some of the fighters in the UFC bought this on ppv.

[quote name='One4Deuce']MMA judging desperately needs an overhaul. "Octagon control" is such a meaningless criteria in my mind. How about damage and effort to finish the fight? The UFC is a wrestler's dream organization.[/QUOTE]

The "Octagon/ring control" is a boxing rule which they took, and really doesn't apply in MMA; I agree that they should toss that rule out and add "effort to finish your opponent from a dominant position".

[quote name='seen']Extremely OTT, but I got Pacquio via 11th rnd KO or UD over Cotto.[/QUOTE]

You were close man. Cotto lost his chances after the second knockdown. There was nothing he could do but to run away. Manny is unstoppable. Even though Mayweather and Pac-man's speeds are similar, Manny can land those insanely angled punches. Mayweather vs Pacquiao will be a great fight... just because it'll be Mayweather's first loss and it'll shut him up about claiming to be #1 P4P.

Damn, that sucks for Brock.

http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=298377

MANCHESTER - UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is seriously ill in hospital after collapsing in Canada, UFC president Dana White said Saturday.

"He's in rough shape, he's in really bad shape," White said Saturday after UFC 105.

"He is not well and he is not getting any better. . . . He's very, very sick and he's going to be out for a while. He's got a lot of problems."

Citing mononucleosis, the 32-year-old Lesnar was forced to postpone a title fight against Shane Carwin scheduled for UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. The fight was pushed back to UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but that too has been postponed.

"He's got mono and he's got something else wrong with him. I know what's wrong with him, he just doesn't want me talking about it," White said.

"He doesn't have cancer or AIDS or anything like this, (but) he's got some problems, man."

White said Lesnar was currently in a hospital in North Dakota. The six-foot-three, 265-pounder owns property in Canada, White added.
"He dropped up there and had to go to hospital," White said.

He said Lesnar may have to go to the Mayo Clinic or another top hospital "to figure out what's wrong with this guy."

"He's not going to be getting well any time soon," White said

Holy crap, Manny Pacquiao is The Juggernaut. I honestly thought Cotto's power would have played more of a factor, but Pacquiao seemingly killed his will to fight shortly after the second down.

Pacquiao-Mayweather prints money the second it's announced.

I'll say for when it happens Pacquiao UD over Floyd (TKO rnd 12 possible too). As Jim Lampley said, Manny deserves half of the take so it shouldn't be a tough negotiation. Did anyone else notice the cheesing Emanuel Stewart?

Wow, terrible news about Brock. That really sucks. Hopefully they're able to figure out what's going on and get him some treatment. Nog is out of 108, too, with a staph infection.

Tonight went the way I expected except the poor showing by Swick.

Couture won as I thought he would in the way I expected. Surprised he didn't get Vera to the ground at all with take downs (except I think for the few seconds where Vera immediately got back to his feet).

I agree the fight wasn't very exciting but I blame that on both of them. Vera has Couture in trouble twice but didn't capitalize, and in the third round he managed to get mount but did not even attempt any offense from the position allowing Couture to hip bump and then did even seem to try to get hooks in on the back.

Even though that wasn't Couture most impressive fight I think its important to look at his other fights since his return. Timmy, Gonzaga, Brock and Nog were all exciting.

[quote name='zewone']This is why I can't stand watching Couture fight. I still don't get why he is so popular.[/QUOTE]

It's cause he has been there since the start.

[quote name='zewone']This is why I can't stand watching Couture fight. I still don't get why he is so popular.[/QUOTE]

That's not really fair though. The guy is 46. Once upon a time, he had some pretty good GnP, and his takedowns were second to none. He also had an uncanny ability to get out of precarious situations (which he still displayed in his fight against Nog). My opinion going into this fight for Couture was that if he lost to Vera, he was done (it would have been three losses in a row, with the talent level sloping downward).

I feel like he eeked out this win against Vera, and while that's good enough to get him another fight, he's gotta realize that he's not going to be challenging for the belt at 205. It's not happening. I guess you could maybe put him up against the winner of the Tito/Forrest fight, but other than that, I don't see what other big names he matches up well with.

Typical Couture fight. I too thought Vera won, but Randy did have control for most of the fight, even though he literally did zero damage. Vera should have finished him in the 2nd round when he had the chance.

Glad to see Hardy win, I for one have always thought Swick was way overrated. Now of course Hardy doesn't stand a chance against GSP, but no one in that weight class does.

Was hoping for another Bisping knockout, and Kang came damn close early in the 1st, but the fight did end the way most people thought it would. Kang is overrated. But I will say I think The Count is in serious trouble against any elite strikers, the Henderson knockout took his chin.

Definitely, glad this one was free especially the boring main event. Matt Brown looked good against Wilks. Kang gassed and gave up in the second and Bisping found the will to fight again. Pearson looked good against a vet. The Swick from the last few fights didn't show up this time so Grady got it done. Couture "controlled" Vera most of the fight as I figured.

Man UFC HW is in shambles maybe we will get Cain, Carwin for the interim title?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And who won that fight? Is the extent of your argument that Randy is a good gatekeeper? Really? I'm just saying, he was BARELY able to handle Vera. Vera knocked him down once, took him down once, and landed several brutal body kicks. The extent of Randy's "dominance" was holding him against the cage. I'm a big believer in the "controlling the fight" argument, but you still have to draw the line somewhere.[/QUOTE]dont be so quick to discount randy. remember he's given the best fight to brock of any1 (i dont count the first Mir fight cause mir was dominated until he grabbed that foot). and brock is a 280lb monster.

i think the fact vera was able to prevent the takedown is more a testament to how good vera's wrestling has gotten as opposed to how bad randy's has gotten. even at 46 randy would still beat 90% of the guys at 205

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Damn, Dan Hardy's got crazy power. I was really pulling for Swick in that one, but he got rocked numerous times. I guess it doesn't really matter though because even though Swick wasn't able to take Hardy down, I can promise you GSP will. I don't know how Mike Swick always looks like the smaller fighter, no matter what weight class he's in. He's only an inch taller than Hardy, but he always looks so damn skinny.[/QUOTE]well swick was just coming off a bad concussion he got when kos swept him in training, landing on the BotH. he looked off imho.

wasn't the same swick that annihilated saunders in his last fight. maybe the concussion he got in training had him second guessing his aggression & that slowed him making him more open to counters (& being more warry of counters also because of just having a concussion).
[quote name='evildeadjedi']Definitely, glad this one was free especially the boring main event. Matt Brown looked good against Wilks. Kang gassed and gave up in the second and Bisping found the will to fight again. Pearson looked good against a vet. The Swick from the last few fights didn't show up this time so Grady got it done. Couture "controlled" Vera most of the fight as I figured.

Man UFC HW is in shambles maybe we will get Cain, Carwin for the interim title?[/QUOTE]Cain is way hyped up by the UFC. They want him to headline for a title fight for their first show in Mexico. Brock would wreck him. if the fight ever does happen it's going to be so one sided people are going to wonder how it even got made.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']It sounds as if there is a high probability Brock Lesnar's career may be over.[/QUOTE]

And now you're bringing your MLB expertise over to MMA, I see. How does "out for some time" translate to "career may be over"? Much less, having a "high probability" that that is the case?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And now you're bringing your MLB expertise over to MMA, I see. How does "out for some time" translate to "career may be over"? Much less, having a "high probability" that that is the case?[/QUOTE]

Internet tough guy are we? lol.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']:rofl: Jesus, Nate, you owned him without even trying.[/QUOTE]

lol...well, I wasn't trying to be mean, but damn. I even went back and re-read the article to make sure I didn't miss something. And while Dana was extremely vague and cryptic, I didn't see anything indicating this was the end of Brock's career. Dana said it wasn't cancer or AIDS, but maybe it's gonorrhea or something. I know Brock is married to Sable, but who freaking knows, man.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']lol...well, I wasn't trying to be mean, but damn. I even went back and re-read the article to make sure I didn't miss something. And while Dana was extremely vague and cryptic, I didn't see anything indicating this was the end of Brock's career. Dana said it wasn't cancer or AIDS, but maybe it's gonorrhea or something. I know Brock is married to Sable, but who freaking knows, man.[/QUOTE]

could be swine flu or maybe a heart conditon but t has to be some kind of disease since he said it was all through his blood or something. unless maybe its drug related.

[quote name='lokizz']could be swine flu or maybe a heart conditon but t has to be some kind of disease since he said it was all through his blood or something. unless maybe its drug related.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think people first suspected it was swine flu, but then they released the statement saying he had mono. I can't imagine him having mono AND swine flu (Jesus, that would suck!) Plus, Dana made some kind of comment that "some bad things happened to him in Canada".

I have to wonder what the hell that means. He makes it sound like Brock got a testicle ripped off by a grizzly bear, lol. Although, if it's something in his blood stream, maybe it is drug related. Anybody think THIS could be the reason he met with Shane McMahon? Maybe something from Brock's past coming back to bite him?

ufc went down pretty much the way i thought it would.

i expected couture, hardy, and brown to win.
bisping/kang and pearson/riley were pretty toss-up to me.

there was a lot of VERY technical clinch work.
i'm a cage wall kinda takedown guy myself so i was really impressed.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And now you're bringing your MLB expertise over to MMA, I see. How does "out for some time" translate to "career may be over"? Much less, having a "high probability" that that is the case?[/QUOTE]

Dana White told TMZ there's a possibility Brock may never fight again. I know the source isn't the greatest but hey.

[quote name='Scorch']I've heard it's kidney failure due to years of steroid abuse, but it's all rumors at this point.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that would really be something. Wonder why it would affect him so much faster than all the old timers who roided up 30+ years ago.

[quote name='tehweezner']Dana White told TMZ there's a possibility Brock may never fight again. I know the source isn't the greatest but hey.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, haha. I don't know why Dana would tell TMZ anything. And further more, I really don't get why Dana is so non-chalantly throwing these devastating terms around. I don't know if it's hype so when Brock does return it will be huge or what. You'd think if your biggest star was having health problems to the point of never fighting again, you'd play it a little closer to the vest.

Even when I read Dana's original comments, it just felt like he was saying too much (but without really saying anything...if that makes any sense). It seemed so strange, part of me wondered if it was made up. I wonder if we'll ever find out what's really going on with him.

Lesnar has infection in intestinal tract

BISMARCK, N.D. -- UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract.

UFC president Dana White spoke with Lesnar on Monday and said he could be released from the hospital soon. Asked if he was in a Bismarck hospital, White said, "I think he is," but did not want to say which hospital because he wanted to protect Lesnar's privacy.

White said he is encouraging Lesnar to check into the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., for further treatment.

White also said he does not know if the 32-year-old South Dakota native will fight again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4661873

Damn, hopefully he gets well and back into the octagon.

damn bacterial infection of the intestines can be brutal. not life threatening when treated but it will sap all the energy out of any1 to the point they have to struggle to function day to day.

[quote name='DT778']Lesnar has infection in intestinal tract

BISMARCK, N.D. -- UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is suffering from a bacterial infection in his intestinal tract.

UFC president Dana White spoke with Lesnar on Monday and said he could be released from the hospital soon. Asked if he was in a Bismarck hospital, White said, "I think he is," but did not want to say which hospital because he wanted to protect Lesnar's privacy.

White said he is encouraging Lesnar to check into the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., for further treatment.

White also said he does not know if the 32-year-old South Dakota native will fight again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4661873

Damn, hopefully he gets well and back into the octagon.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...interesting. I just feel like there's gotta be more to it than that. I can understand the guy being really sick and being on the shelf for quite some time. But to be so overdramatic and act like he's never going to train again and his career is over? Just feels like feeding the press to me. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it's that serious. But good God, they're making it sound like he's paralyzed and may never walk again.

[quote name='paz9x']no love for the wec event?

aldo is a fucking monster.
he did that to mike fucking brown? wow.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't know because DirecTV dropped Versus. :bomb:

[quote name='paz9x']no love for the wec event?

aldo is a fucking monster.
he did that to mike fucking brown? wow.[/QUOTE]

I DVRd it and I was real surprised to see what happened to Brown, but of course nobody is invincible. It seems like everyone seems untouchable for a while until the right person comes around. I remember before Brown beat Faber they were making Faber out to be the p4p best during WEC events.

[quote name='TURBO']I wouldn't know because DirecTV dropped Versus. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

i recently got television after 4 months without it. i specifically did not get dtv for versus.
really crappy for their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back