MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without a doubt, Kimbo has been working hard at ATT. Really nice slams in Round 2. He seemed a little unsure how to finish once he got to the ground, but I'm sure he'll keep working. He definitely earned my respect tonight.

I can't believe that Kimbo Slice just gave one of the best slams I've ever seen.

Now, while I agree Kimbo won the fight, I don't know how that judge gave him round one.

Weird night of fights, but a very eventful and exciting night. Seeing HULK HOGAN cut a promo on UFC TV was surreal, but awesome. Kimbo-Houston varied between either being incredibly exciting and electric between the fast action and the hot crowd and being a fight where just nothing happened. Rogan saved those segments by pointing out how ridiculous it looked, but man did that ever grind the show to a halt. Kimbo showed more here than in any other fight, doing a sick suplex, an attempted guillotine, and an attempted rear naked choke.

The Jones-Hammill fight was exciting, both for the fast action in it at times and the finish that saw Jones hit an illegal elbow, get a point deducted, THEN lose because Hamill couldn't continue. The win didn't do anything for Hamill, but the loss actually may have helped Jones since he didn't come off as mad outside of like one second when he had a huge WTF!? expression on his face.

Roy Nelson winning was no real surprise given his experience, but man did he ever just rule here. Buffer calling him a KUNG FU FIGHTER, coming out to ""Fat" by Weird Al, making fun of his weight, and yet STILL coming off as a bit arrogant due to how sarcastic he was after the fight. It was a good star-making night for him. The McSweeney fight sure started out great - with THE FIRST MINUTE being taken up by the pre-fight graphic, and the Penn-Sanchez interview being constantly interrupted by the director talking before and during it was bizarre. Very TNA-riffic stuff there. Maybe Dixie's just cursed.

Chuck and Tito being announced as coaches for the next season of TUF was slightly anti-climatic not because of who was announced, but because it came out of nowhere - they just built it up for a second and then reveal that Chuck's coming out of retirement. Seemed...a little underwhelming, but I'm sure video packages will rectify that issue later on.

Screens -

Surreal

The first minute of the McSweeney fight -

Quotes -
Kimbo - If Houston Alexander is a gatekeeper, then I got one thing to say - Houston, we got a problem!
Rogan - Nelson uses that gut to his advantage!
Goldberg - There’s TNA wrestler Hulk Hogan, with TNA president Dixie Carter and former WCW president and WWE personality, Eric Bischoff.
Rogan - When are we gonna see Hulk Hogan wrestle in TNA?!
Hogan - JANUARY FOURTH, WE GO TO WAR! WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE UFC RUNS WILD ON YOU!
Goldberg - If you’re not a fan of Hulk Hogan, you’re not a fan of entertainment! HE’S A PART OF THE FAMILY HERE ON SPIKE! HULKAMANIA IS HERE TONIGHT!
Rogan - This is weird - like over a minute of just spinning around in a circle.
Rogan - I thought the fight woulda been over by now.
Goldberg - And had four replays from five different angles.
Crowd - KIM-BO! KIM-BO!
Rogan - He’s circling around him like a merry go round.
Rogan - I’ve never seen Houston follow a strategy this well, but he’s becoming…boring!
Goldberg - Who’d have thought?
Rogan - KIMBO IS DOMINATING HOUSTON ALEXANDER ON THE GROUND!
Fan - STAND THEM UP!
(Nelson comes out to “Fat”)Goldberg - Oh no he didn’t…
Rogan - Nelson lost to Arlovski, but of course, he was in side control, and well, if you know about EXC’s history in trying to get guys to fight stand-up…
Goldberg - Nelson is fat, but quick.
Rogan - Imagine how fast he’d be if he was in shape.
Buffer - THIS MAN IS A KUNG-FU FIGHTER! ROY “BIG COUNTRY” NELSON!
Rogan - Brenden going to the body…I’m not even show Nelson even feels those.
Rogan - Nelson’s cardio is another surprise - he’s a big fat guy, but he’s got great cardio.
Goldberg - You’re funny - you should be a comedian!
(after Nelson rubs his belly)Rogan - Imagine him as UFC Heavyweight champion!
Rogan - How ya doing?
Nelson - Good. A little tired. I want some Burger King now.

so i actually laughed during roys post fight.
that dude cracks me up.

i was a HUGE kimbo hater during the elitexc stint, but i was very happy to see him fight like that and get the win.

i was suprised they were acting like jones won when hamill couldnt continue. he couldnt continue due to an illegal strike, thats a dq.

hamill deserves an extra win on his record for the bisping fight anyway.

I don't see how anyone can be impressed by Kimbo. Who in the UFC can he beat? No one.

Nice win for Roy, I called it before the show even started, but it was an easy pick considering he has so much more experience than everyone else on the show.

Chuck vs. Tito 3? Good god, might be the first season I don't watch.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I don't see how anyone can be impressed by Kimbo. Who in the UFC can he beat? No one.

Nice win for Roy, I called it before the show even started, but it was an easy pick considering he has so much more experience than everyone else on the show.

Chuck vs. Tito 3? Good god, might be the first season I don't watch.[/QUOTE]

actually he can beat alexander. i say he has good fights with a number of guys especially at 205 where hes not giving up a ton of weight. I wouldnt be surprised to see him at these 210-215 catchweight fights exclusively.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I don't see how anyone can be impressed by Kimbo. Who in the UFC can he beat? No one.[/QUOTE]
Clearly he's been busting his balls and has greatly improved on his weaknesses. If he keeps working, which I assume he will, he's got nowhere to go but up.

I was pretty drunk last night at a bar, but I could have sworn ESPN showed Kimbo with those unreal slams on Sportscenter late last night.

I'm saying it now........Bones Jones will eventually become the Light Heavyweight Champion. That kid at 22yrs old
has some ridiculous athletic ability, skill, speed, and instinct. He reminds me of a younger version of Anderson Silva.

Did nobody see the KIMBO Slam? Who didn't think that was Badass? He's definitely not polished and he's
obviously not top notch contender material yet, but if you're a fight fan, you can't say that wasn't entertaining to
watch(besides the Alexander dance routine).

Edgar is also one of those guys who's a step away from title contention. That kid impresses the HELL outta me.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I don't see how anyone can be impressed by Kimbo. Who in the UFC can he beat? No one.

Chuck vs. Tito 3? Good god, might be the first season I don't watch.[/QUOTE]

How can you not be impressed by how far Kimbo has come? Sure, he's still very raw and unpolished, and he's never going to be a contender at 205, but I find it hard not to respect the guy because it is obvious how much work he has put in since his EliteXC days.

[quote name='Ronzilla']I'm saying it now........Bones Jones will eventually become the Light Heavyweight Champion. That kid at 22yrs old
has some ridiculous athletic ability, skill, speed, and instinct. He reminds me of a younger version of Anderson Silva.

Did nobody see the KIMBO Slam? Who didn't think that was Badass? He's definitely not polished and he's
obviously not top notch contender material yet, but if you're a fight fan, you can't say that wasn't entertaining to
watch(besides the Alexander dance routine).

Edgar is also one of those guys who's a step away from title contention. That kid impresses the HELL outta me.[/QUOTE]

edgar seems like a good guy, hes just to small for his style IMO. i dont think he cracks the top 5. he should drop to 145.

[quote name='paz9x']edgar seems like a good guy, hes just to small for his style IMO. i dont think he cracks the top 5. he should drop to 145.[/QUOTE]

He beat Sherk in his last fight who is obviously a Top Fighter in the LW division. Edgar is obviously smaller than most of the guys he's fought(Sherk, Veach, Maynard)
but watching his fights, you can tell he's probably one of the more talented fighters in the sense that he comes in well prepared and with a great gameplan.

IMO, I don't think his size is a detriment at all. If he chose to drop to 145, he'd end up fighting in the WEC which I doubt he would want to do just for the recognition and pay factor.
So who are you considering Top 5 in the LW division? Obviously BJ, Diego, & Florian but he's already beat Sherk, Franca, Fisher, & Griffin, so I'd say he's definitely Top 5.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']How can you not be impressed by how far Kimbo has come? Sure, he's still very raw and unpolished, and he's never going to be a contender at 205, but I find it hard not to respect the guy because it is obvious how much work he has put in since his EliteXC days.[/QUOTE]

Never said I didn't respect him. Anyone who steps into the cage gets my respect. But Kimbo has a lot of things working against him.

First off, Alexander isn't even in the UFC. He was cut by them months ago, and brought back to lose to Kimbo. Clearly the UFC doesn't think Kimbo can handle anyone currently on their roster.

Sure, Kimbo had some decent ground work, but look at who he was doing it against. Houston has ZERO ground game, and it is well known.

Weight. Kimbo can't compete with heavyweights, and he has made it known he can't/won't make the cut to Lightheavyweight. He was complaining about making the cut to 215. Maybe with some time he can bring his weight down naturally to a lower level. But even so, does anyone think he has a chance to beat anyone at LHW either?

Look, I respect the guy, and was hoping he would knock Houston out, but let's be realistic about his skills and his chances of making it to the top of the UFC. The UFC will keep him booked against other similar style fighters and milk the Kimbo train as long as they can until he losses a fight or two.

[quote name='Ronzilla']I'm saying it now........Bones Jones will eventually become the Light Heavyweight Champion. That kid at 22yrs old
has some ridiculous athletic ability, skill, speed, and instinct. He reminds me of a younger version of Anderson Silva. [/QUOTE]

Gotta agree. Would pose problems for anyone at 205. Machida and Shogun included.

Strange fights last night disappointed that Marcus got knocked out again. Edgar looked really good and should stay at LW. Kimbo has improved but doubt he will do anything in UFC. Nelson winning didn't surprise me due to the experience the guy looks like my friend Wes but can fight! I'll agree with previous Bones Jones presents problems for anyone at 205.

Chuck vs Tito will be a "who should retire now" fight.

I really liked Marcus but it's starting to look like he has a glass jaw. I hated nelson won cause he's kind of a douch. I hope chuck beats the hell ot of tito cause tito sucks and I love chuck and he REALLY needs to win a fight

Yeah, I gotta say, for the "highest rated" season of TUF ever, it was one of the most underwhelming. Ultimately, it ended up feeling like a drawn out process of giving Roy Nelson a contract. Considering he was an established fighter, after Elite XC and Affliction's demise, would anybody REALLY have been too shocked if the UFC had just signed him outright?

Of course, I'd argue that part of the reason the season was so weak was because they wanted Kimbo to actually have a chance. But then, putting him up against Roy Nelson for his first fight just seemed like a dumb move...but I still say it gives the show credibility of not even slanting the matchups. It does make me wonder though if how Kimbo would have fared had he not fought the eventual champion in his first fight.

I definitely don't think Kimbo's going to be a force in the UFC. It's too little too late for a guy his age. But he earned my respect for being a humble man who is willing to learn. That's more than I can say for the alleged "champion" who I also expect to make no impact in the UFC.

Joe Rogan's comment of picturing Nelson as the HW champ almost made me vomit. We're talking about a guy who lost his last two fights to the likes of Jeff Monson and Andrei Arlovski. Yeah, yeah, Joe Rogan. Elite XC wanted everybody to fight stand up, but Nelson is not going to be putting experienced, professional fighters in the crucifix. Not happening.

Who the hell in the HW division is Nelson going to beat? He's not going to beat Velasquez. He's not going to beat Mir. He's not going to beat Nogueira. He's not going to beat Carwin. And he sure as hell isn't going to beat Lesnar (when he finally comes back). The best fighter I could see Nelson having a chance at beating is probably Cheick Kongo, and only because his ground game is probably worse than Kimbo's.

This is probably the first season of TUF where it felt more like a straight reality show (oh wow...ex NFL players! 3rd rate fight league champion! backyard fighter!) than a talent search. I hope they take season 11 back to basics and bring in true prospects from the various MMA schools. I want to see great fighters. Not names.

I agree with you there and I'm thinking they will go back to tried and true format of filling the show with prospects(season 4 and 10 are the only I can think of that excluded the format). Chuck and Tito will be great coaches as well(as much as I hate Tito he did a great job in season 3). They're doing middleweights this time out and should be a good season.

Anyone else wish they'd go back to how they chose fights on Season 1 where they actually had teams compete in challenges?

That was actually halfway entertaining to see a bunch of dudes carrying Couture in a Lazyboy chair above their heads without dropping him in the drink.

Not exactly sure why they stopped doing that. Maybe Survivor threatened em with a lawsuit or something.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Anyone else wish they'd go back to how they chose fights on Season 1 where they actually had teams compete in challenges?

That was actually halfway entertaining to see a bunch of dudes carrying Couture in a Lazyboy chair above their heads without dropping him in the drink.

Not exactly sure why they stopped doing that. Maybe Survivor threatened em with a lawsuit or something.[/QUOTE]

Yeah definitely. I also wish they'd go back to kicking out the dudes that lost. I was confused as hell with everyone meandering around. I couldn't remember who was still in it to win it and who wasn't. :lol:

[quote name='Maklershed']Yeah definitely. I also wish they'd go back to kicking out the dudes that lost. I was confused as hell with everyone meandering around. I couldn't remember who was still in it to win it and who wasn't. :lol:[/QUOTE]

No kidding. IMO, I think they're keeping ALL the fighters in so that they can have the best chance at some drama in the house and at the gym.
Especially since drama=ratings. They're probably looking at Ratings 1st, signing the best fighter 2nd.

Anyone catch the prefight Press Conference for UFC 107? I know Diego's a HUGE underdog but I'm getting a feeling he's gonna pull off a major upset.
Plus Kongo looks at Mir like he killed his family and dipped his cat in lava lol.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Anyone catch the prefight Press Conference for UFC 107? I know Diego's a HUGE underdog but I'm getting a feeling he's gonna pull off a major upset.
Plus Kongo looks at Mir like he killed his family and dipped his cat in lava lol.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Didn't quite like Diego in the first season but he's definately earned a shot at the title but after that clay gida fight I hope he gets the title. I think Mir will beat the hell out of kongo even though I think he's good he's just not in the same league as Mir.

And on a side note, who is kenny florian blowing to get all the fights? He does'nt sck or anything but he got a title shot before diego and it seems that every other lightwieght fight is kenny florian.

What are everyone's predictions for 107?

Mine are:

BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez: Penn via Sub
Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo: Mir via Sub
Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce: Fitch via Dec
Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida: Florian via Dec
Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve: Buentello via KO

LMAO.
Kongo twiddling his thumbs with his back turned and Diego's 2 words......I mean 1 word.

[youtube]Z3Ki5wr_tVY[/youtube]​

My predictions are:
Penn over Sanchez via decision
Mir over Kongo via sub
Florian over Guida via decision
Buentello over Struve via Ko
Fitch over Pierce via decision

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://www.mmamania.com/2009/12/11/1196919/mariusz-pudzianowski-wins-his-mma

Crazy stuff[/QUOTE]

AWESOME! I've seen him in the Strongman Competitions and he's a straight BEAST. Funny thing is he beat
Najman by tapout(flying knees and rhino charges?). I just watched it and he's got some ridiculous leg kicks.
Comparable to or even better than Cro Cops lol. Interested to see some more fights. He'll definitely be the
Strongest fighter out there. Thx for that info.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://www.mmamania.com/2009/12/11/1196919/mariusz-pudzianowski-wins-his-mma

Crazy stuff[/QUOTE]

Well, his strength is impressive. But anybody with actual MMA training isn't just going to stand there and get kicked over and over again. And with kicks that wild, he'd be taken down pretty quickly. Brute strength is always an incredible attribute, but it means nothing when you're on your back.

Also, when they interviewed the guy that lost after the fight, he hardly had a scratch on him. Fedor can do more damage with one well-placed punch than this gorilla did with his barrage of wildness. Not bad for his first MMA fight (against a boxer), but he's got a long way to go.

[quote name='n8rockerasu'] Brute strength is always an incredible attribute, but it means nothing when you're on your back.
[/QUOTE]
Bob Sapp nods in agreement.

[quote name='Maklershed']I would if I had at least one buddy to watch it but every single one of my friends that gives a shit about UFC is busy tonight. :([/QUOTE]

There is a feed that never fails....PM...

DAMN! Kenny Florian DESTROYED Clay Guida! Beat the shit out of him and then choked him out. That was impressive. Really nice to see how Florian has responded since his loss to BJ. If things go as I'd like tonight, I'd love to see a TUF 1 rematch of Sanchez vs Florian for the Lightweight belt.

EDIT - Whenever I see Kenny, I always think of Ben Stiller. Tonight, he told Clay Guida...

dodgeball_xl_01--film-A.jpg

"No one makes me bleed my own blood!"

*applauds* Trainer change to Zahabi seems to have worked for Ken-Flo. Not only did Ken-Flo drop Caveman Guida, but he finished Captain Caveman with a rear-naked choke. That was very impressive.

[quote name='Chase']Fitch needs to finish his next fight so I can see Fitch-GSP 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Fitch is the person who gave GSP the hardest fight to date per GSP. It'll happen.:D

On a side note, was that Ricco Rodriguez with the Tiger Woods hat in Kongo's entourage LOL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back