MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did ya get ur ticks yet, we r n the cheap seats up top. Learned my leSson from a wrestling event i went to watch there. Sat fourth row floor seats and all Saw was assholes and elbows.

[quote name='Bmac1775']Did ya get ur ticks yet, we r n the cheap seats up top. Learned my leSson from a wrestling event i went to watch there. Sat fourth row floor seats and all Saw was assholes and elbows.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my wife and I will also be in the cheap seats. Section 117.

Cool we will be in 130, hopefully good seats. If I remember I'll hollar at ya near the date. If not u can hit me up at bmac1775 on Twitter. I know there must b more people going. I hope we sell the place out. That all gve Dana a reason to bring the big show to time Warner arena next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when are 100 level seats "cheap seats"?

EDIT: I looked at the seating chart. Everything is "100" level. Small arena?

The arena has the best name ever, too. BOJANGLES.

[quote name='Matt Young']Since when are 100 level seats "cheap seats"?

EDIT: I looked at the seating chart. Everything is "100" level. Small arena?

The arena has the best name ever, too. BOJANGLES.[/QUOTE]

It's got 11,000 seats. Not terribly small. I've seen several UFC shows that haven't pulled more than 8,000. Considering this is a UFN event, I'd say this is about right. I just really hope no dumbass Southerners boo when the fights go to the ground. I'll have to choke them out in the crowd, haha.

Also, not sure if you have them in your area, Matt, but Bojangles is a chicken & biscuits restaurant. Knowing that, I don't even know how Roy Nelson is going to be able to concentrate during his fight. If my seats were closer, I'd bring some food in and try distracting him with it so he'd get his dumbass KTFO.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']It's got 11,000 seats. Not terribly small. I've seen several UFC shows that haven't pulled more than 8,000. Considering this is a UFN event, I'd say this is about right. I just really hope no dumbass Southerners boo when the fights go to the ground. I'll have to choke them out in the crowd, haha.

Also, not sure if you have them in your area, Matt, but Bojangles is a chicken & biscuits restaurant. Knowing that, I don't even know how Roy Nelson is going to be able to concentrate during his fight. If my seats were closer, I'd bring some food in and try distracting him with it so he'd get his dumbass KTFO.[/QUOTE]

Ah, wow. It's just weird for an arena to have that many seats, but not have upper levels. And no, I'd never heard of Bojangles.

On an unrelated note, I just found out that Matt Mitrione attended high school in my hometown.

[quote name='Maklershed']Does anyone use any Fantasy MMA betting sites? I'm thinking about maybe joining mmaplayground.com. Any thoughts or other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

i was on there for awhile but the inactivity of most members of the site just eventually led me to not care enough to log on anymore.

[quote name='paz9x']its a non-title fight.[/QUOTE]

It is for the title. Rogers is getting the title shot because Fedor is renegotiating his contract with Strikeforce.

[quote name='CSKit']It is for the title. Rogers is getting the title shot because Fedor is renegotiating his contract with Strikeforce.[/QUOTE]

source?
everything I see as recent as the 19th says its a non-title fight.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']I was very impressed with JDS and Jon Jones tonight. Jones GnP is just vicious.[/QUOTE]

I really dislike elbows, they cut fights short. jds looked very good, it looked like that right jds landed when they had the inside exchange early really effected gonzaga, he looked very timid and cautious.

[quote name='paz9x']I really dislike elbows, they cut fights short. jds looked very good, it looked like that right jds landed when they had the inside exchange early really effected gonzaga, he looked very timid and cautious.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but so do punches and kicks. It wasn't like the Vera match got stopped due to a cut or something.

Edit: Yeah, I couldn't agree more about the GG/JDS fight. As soon as GG got hit, he looked different. Until he realizes he can't stand and bang with guys like Carwin and JDS, he's going to be lucky to win a fight.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Yeah, but so do punches and kicks. It wasn't like the Vera match got stopped due to a cut or something.

Edit: Yeah, I couldn't agree more about the GG/JDS fight. As soon as GG got hit, he looked different. Until he realizes he can't stand and bang with guys like Carwin and JDS, he's going to be lucky to win a fight.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think when he knocked out Cro Cop he started thinking he could stand and bang with everyone. He has decent stand up, but can't hang with top level stand-up guys(Cro-cop was a shell of his former self) .

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Yeah, but so do punches and kicks. It wasn't like the Vera match got stopped due to a cut or something.[/QUOTE]

Well, its more like punches and kicks inflict damage and elbows more often inflict injury. I dont want to see a fight end with a broken ankle, cut, broken orbital or anything besides sub, (t)ko or dec.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I honestly think when he knocked out Cro Cop he started thinking he could stand and bang with everyone. He has decent stand up, but can't hang with top level stand-up guys(Cro-cop was a shell of his former self) .[/QUOTE]

gonzaga has good stand up, hes simply very incosistent. he was fucking up werdum before he got tired and sloppy, he hammered carwin and then got sloppy. he also folds under pressure. but his stand up is solid. It seemed like he got a taste of jds and found out he was over matched. no shame, comes off as a cool guy just needs a camp to push him and help game plan.

I think GG has decent stand up, but he simply cannot expect to win fights against guys like Carwin and JDS by standing. He has to use his strength, which has always been his ground game.

Wow, Jones and JDS have been sleepers in the UFC for quite awhile now but it's time people started recognizing. JDS is a serious threat to just about anyone in the HW division and Jones is on the verge of opening up on the upper tier of the 205 division. Bring on Thiago Silva next.

[quote name='CSKit']The Fight Show with Mauro Ranallo and Alistair Overeem (9:30 mark).

HT: Hardcoresportsradio.com

This happened on March 2, 2010. If you are more than a "Casual Fan" I suggest Bloody Elbow for your MMA news.[/QUOTE]

in a march 19th interview overeem stated it wasnt a title fight, he said he thought that was because rogers was coming off a loss however strikeforce hadnt yet officially stated the title status.
edit apparently the interview was actually on march 1st.

on the 5th coker said he wouldnt say if it was a title fight or not and theyd make an annoucement in the following week.

who knows, im not sure why its even up in the air, doesnt make much sense.

[quote name='paz9x']in a march 19th interview overeem stated it wasnt a title fight, he said he thought that was because rogers was coming off a loss however strikeforce hadnt yet officially stated the title status.[/QUOTE]

You can't ask for a source then then reply without one of your own. So, where's the link? :p

[quote name='CSKit']You can't ask for a source then then reply without one of your own. So, where's the link? :p[/QUOTE]

haha no kidding right. it was on mmaplayground, hows that?
i have to go to class and i cant find the coker interview, it was on mmalive on the 5th.

[quote name='paz9x']I really dislike elbows, they cut fights short. jds looked very good, it looked like that right jds landed when they had the inside exchange early really effected gonzaga, he looked very timid and cautious.[/QUOTE]

i think they still do more good then bad. gonzaga vs. crocop for instance, crocop complained he was near blind from damage from gonzaga's elbows long before the dreaded crocopter was turned on him.

rules i want:

elbows, knees on ground, soccer kicks, stomps...that's right. real manly rules that are a cross between Pride and UFC. too bad it will never happen. if i could change any one rule, it's the fact UFC NEEDS knees on ground to stop lame wrestlefests.

It's really REALLY lame that Strikeforce is being so vague about whether or not it's a title fight. It makes me think of things like "Well, maybe it has to do with the M1 Global negotiations, and that if they don't get a deal worked out soon, it WILL be a title fight. But if they do work out a deal, it won't be a title fight, so Fedor can just fight Overeem next for the title, as opposed to potentially having to destroy Rogers again."

I listened to Coker's interview on the negotiations, and he sounds like such a pussy. How many ways can you say "I'll give them whatever they want". Dana doesn't look so crazy for not wanting to haggle with Vadim now, does he?

Coker's probably speechless because he's wondering if Overeem can dump the juice long enough to pass a drug screening. After the Barnett Affliction disaster, Coker probably doesn't want to drum up too much hype until he knows things are straight.

Speaking of Barnett, anyone see that fight with Mighty Mo? Barnett letting Mo kick him in the balls at the end of the fight was priceless. :lol:

[quote name='JoshTX']Coker's probably speechless because he's wondering if Overeem can dump the juice long enough to pass a drug screening. After the Barnett Affliction disaster, Coker probably doesn't want to drum up too much hype until he knows things are straight.

Speaking of Barnett, anyone see that fight with Mighty Mo? Barnett letting Mo kick him in the balls at the end of the fight was priceless. :lol:[/QUOTE]

All Overeem steroid talk is speculation, he's never failed a drug test unlike Barnett.

I saw the Mighty Mo/Barnett fight, it was retarded Mighty Mo should have gotten the DQ win, I'm sure FEG paid him a lot to continue though...

[quote name='JoshTX']Speaking of Barnett, anyone see that fight with Mighty Mo? Barnett letting Mo kick him in the balls at the end of the fight was priceless. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I wasn't impressed by this. After all the steroids Barnett has taken, I'd be amazed if Mo could even find his balls. It's like kicking a Ken doll.

[quote name='CSKit']All Overeem steroid talk is speculation, he's never failed a drug test unlike Barnett.
[/QUOTE]

Of course it's just speculation...he's ducked and dodged fighting in the US for the last two years where he surely would have been tested. The whole "too busy with K-1" thing being his excuse. :roll:

[quote name='JoshTX']What else has been announced for 116? This is the first fight I've heard about.[/QUOTE]

It's not announced, but this is when Lesnar will fight the winner of Mir or Carwin. Watch ESPN tomorrow, it's going to happen.

Sucks about Thiago.

[quote name='JoshTX']Of course it's just speculation...he's ducked and dodged fighting in the US for the last two years where he surely would have been tested. The whole "too busy with K-1" thing being his excuse. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Who has he ducked an dodged? What HW's has Strikeforce had that were worth fighting before 2009? Sure, he would have been drug tested, but would he have been tested?

He opted to compete in the biggest striking tournament in the world and made it to the semi's, so him saying he was busy is believable.

If you're going to criticize him for using steroids, wait for him to fail his test.

[quote name='CSKit']Who has he ducked an dodged? What HW's has Strikeforce had that were worth fighting before 2009? Sure, he would have been drug tested, but would he have been tested?

He opted to compete in the biggest striking tournament in the world and made it to the semi's, so him saying he was busy is believable.

If you're going to criticize him for using steroids, wait for him to fail his test.[/QUOTE]

He ducked both Brett Rogers and Fabricio Werdum with his "hand injury" he received in an "altercation in a bar." He then went on to compete in the K-1 tourney.

Beyond that, if we are going to talk about whether he would have been "tested" or not, he took on MMA fights with James Thompson and Kazuyuki Fujita overseas, two guys that are total cans at this point. Thompson has lost his last 5 or so fights in a row. So I really don't get the whole "Strikeforce fighters not worth it" argument.

I can't prove the steroids thing so you have me beat there, but it's what I honestly believe. Somewhere around late 06 or so the guy just exploded quicker than some of the linemen on my old HS football team. After winning the Strikeforce HW championship he friggin dissapeared and hasn't defended it since. Coker should've stripped it a long time ago. Meanwhile Alistair's overseas beating up cans, talking trash about other fighters, and kicking Filipovic in the balls. Ridiculous.

[quote name='JoshTX']He ducked both Brett Rogers and Fabricio Werdum with his "hand injury" he received in an "altercation in a bar." He then went on to compete in the K-1 tourney.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what ducking someone is? Getting a hand injury isn't ducking someone, he got into a bar fight and messed up his hand. Stupid yes, ducking no. He was previously signed to fight in K-1, if he felt he was ready to participate in the GP, that's fine, remember K-1 gloves are 12oz bigger than MMA gloves.

[quote name='JoshTX']Beyond that, if we are going to talk about whether he would have been "tested" or not, he took on MMA fights with James Thompson and Kazuyuki Fujita overseas, two guys that are total cans at this point. Thompson has lost his last 5 or so fights in a row. So I really don't get the whole "Strikeforce fighters not worth it" argument.[/QUOTE]

Overeem stated he was taking the fights in DREAM to "stay active" while competing in the GP and that 2010 would be the year for his return to Strikeforce.

If we're going to mention fighters and their records, you're going to have to be correct. Thompson while he is a can has not lost 5 straight fights, he is 1-1 in his last two beating Tengiz Tedoradze via TKO and losing to Rob Broughton via KO in a one night tournament on Jan 30th.

Fujita is in a similar spot to Thompson, while not very relevant he was just a filler fight due to contractual obligations to K-1/DREAM. It was a Dynamite!! fight (that's the name of the NYE show, notanhis opponent up until NYE, should Alistair not fight if a "worthy" opponent doesn't answer his challenge?

Prior to 2009 name one quality HW that was worth defending the title against. That's right, you can't. Until EliteXC folded Strikeforce had nothing for a roster, should Alistair fought "The Headhunter" again?

[quote name='JoshTX']I can't prove the steroids thing so you have me beat there, but it's what I honestly believe. Somewhere around late 06 or so the guy just exploded quicker than some of the linemen on my old HS football team. After winning the Strikeforce HW championship he friggin dissapeared and hasn't defended it since. Coker should've stripped it a long time ago. Meanwhile Alistair's overseas beating up cans, talking trash about other fighters, and kicking Filipovic in the balls. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you remember this but Overeem used to cut from 230lbs to make MW (Pride's 205 class) that's why he would gas after looking great for three minutes. On NYE he weighed in at 259.6, that's roughly 30lbs in 4 years. How much has Frank Mir gained in the last year, trying to bulk up for Brock Lesnar? Is Mir on steroids? He blew up faster than Overeem did.

Yes, in my opinion Coker should have stripped Overeem over a year ago but he didn't. Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery (May 15) is coming up and we'll get to see how #9 Alistair Overeem does against a serious challenger #8 Brett Rogers and your steroid suspicions will be answered.

*Rankings are based off of SB Nations Concensus Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back