Modern Warfare 2 Hacking - Is this common?

Unassuming Local Guy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I thought I'd check out MW2 multiplayer one last time before the free weekend ended. Apparently someone had hacked the match to turn down gravity and give massive bombing runs. Whatever. It happens. The match is over and suddenly I go from L13 to L70. Great, so so someone has hacked the match and ruined the carrot-on-a-stick that made the game fun. This is with less than three hours of play which, statistically speaking, would indicate this kind of behavior is pretty damn common.

So, PC MW2 players, how is it? I really enjoyed myself up until that point.

Also, can you do anything to prevent the magical level 70 upgrade?

Extremely common from all that I've heard since the game came out.

No way to avoid the lvl 70 thing either, or well any of it since it is all p2p

That game has been hacked on both sides - Console and PC - to death.

There are a series of videos that others have shown me with ridiculous 'hacks' and exploits.

Understand, that the more popular/main-stream a game is the more likely you will run into cheats and exploits.

Every game I play has at least one waller/aim botter. I just play extremely gay, using the OMA perk to get infinite tubes and claymores. My friends and I just essentially grief the cheaters and make them rage. Only fun I get out of that game anymore.

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']That's unfortunate. I have this game on the 360 as well but barely played multiplayer. Is the leveling hack present there too?[/QUOTE]

yes, at least on the 360 version I know it is there

But Infinity Ward's reason (or should I say excuse) for not using dedicated servers was to prevent hacking! :lol: What went wrong! ;)

[quote name='mogamer']But Infinity Ward's reason (or should I say excuse) for not using dedicated servers was to prevent hacking! :lol: What went wrong! ;)[/QUOTE]

They underestimated their consumers. :p

[quote name='Superstar']They underestimated their consumers. :p[/QUOTE]

No, the real reason (notice I said excuse) is that they didn't want people making their own maps so IW could sell their own.

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']That's unfortunate. I have this game on the 360 as well but barely played multiplayer. Is the leveling hack present there too?[/QUOTE]

From what I know, mind you - I don't play consoles games, yes.

I have younger family members that still play consoles and during a recent family gathering...one of the topics they were talking about were the cheaters and methods.

Don't forget the booster too.

[quote name='mogamer']But Infinity Ward's reason (or should I say excuse) for not using dedicated servers was to prevent hacking! :lol: What went wrong! ;)[/QUOTE]

This is one of the things I love about PC gaming. In the end if the public servers are full of nonsense...You can always make your own server and just play with friends and family be it via the internet and/or LAN.

Nothing prevents hacking. Not even dedicated servers

[quote name='kilm']Nothing prevents hacking. Not even dedicated servers[/QUOTE]

True, nothing prevents it, but a decent dedicated server will have very little to any cheating whatsoever.

[quote name='kilm']Nothing prevents hacking. Not even dedicated servers[/QUOTE]
But they're a hell of a lot better than P2P. That we can see by the clusterfuck that is MW2 Multiplayer.

At least some of the better servers out there have active mods and admins at nearly any time of day(definitely in the time when it's busiest), and thusly, any hackers playing will get booted and/or banned right away.

You also have to remember that during the free weekend, all the VAC banned people, all the kids interested in hacking, everyone who wants to try it without fear of getting their main account banned are doing this.

Any time a game has a free weekend the hackers come out in full force. Happens in TF 2, it happened here.

MW 2 has a problem with hacking, but free weekends just make it 40 times worse.

From my experiences with the game, Ground War is pretty much where all the hackers stay due to the higher player cap.

The only real way to avoid the leveling up hack is to just quit if you get into a real wacky game... but I mostly played DM and TDM and never encountered anything weird.

But I wouldn't have minded a leveling up hack, so I can cut through the crap and just get the weapons I want to use, but to each his own. I feel at a disadvantage at the lower levels of MW and MW 2.

Once I got punkbuster working in MW I liked it. Once I read that all that was going away I stayed away from MW2. After seeing a video in the first week of a guy camping and one end of the map and only shooting at red dots I knew I would never play the game and chances are would never pick up MW3.

I tried out the game for the first time this free weekend. In 3.3 hours of play I didn't encounter a player that was obviously hacking.

Although I myself was accused once.

What really piqued my interest was all the varied maps in the multiplayer. It makes we wonder what the single player is like despite reading all the negative reviews and comments about it.

I've got 70 hours listed for my MW2 multiplayer on Steam, and from what I've seen most of the hacking is in the ground war playlist for some reason, and I have yet to hit an instant-leveling hack. Although I tend to avoid ground war since it seems cheatier and I prefer the fewer players of mosh pit for MW2.

Have run into a few aimbots (Completely obvious "LOCKING ON TARGET" ones, not counting suspiciously good players who may just be that good) in mosh pit but it isn't unbearably common. I think the $15 map pack will do more to stop me playing than the cheaters will.

[quote name='Actionhank']I tried out the game for the first time this free weekend. In 3.3 hours of play I didn't encounter a player that was obviously hacking.

Although I myself was accused once.

What really piqued my interest was all the varied maps in the multiplayer. It makes we wonder what the single player is like despite reading all the negative reviews and comments about it.[/QUOTE]

Very action packed, light on story, too short but still fun. The only reason I'm finding to play it again are the cheese mints though.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']I've got 70 hours listed for my MW2 multiplayer on Steam, and from what I've seen most of the hacking is in the ground war playlist for some reason, and I have yet to hit an instant-leveling hack. Although I tend to avoid ground war since it seems cheatier and I prefer the fewer players of mosh pit for MW2.
.[/QUOTE]

I've read it's because Ground War has 12 - 18 players, so it's easier to get your killstreaks up quicker which is what most of these people want.

bread's done
Back