ModNation Racers -- General Info and Discussion

I have barely played the game, but I really hope you can make Stallone's 1950 Mercury Custom Coupe from the movie Cobra. At the very least, I will definitely have "AWSOM 50" on my license plate.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']One thing Mario Kart had going for it that MNR does not was how finely tuned the tracks were. Falling off wasn't anywhere near as frustrating; in MNR I've gotten stuck in trees, building, under bridges, behind fences, etc. And it seems like it often takes forever to get your kart to respawn.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to second this because it is absolutely true. They need to throw in a few more invisible walls over all the tiny fences that are so easy to get bumped over. Earlier tonight I took a turn a little too sharply and got embedded vertically in one of those wooden bridges and had to blow myself up. In the next race, I used the space warp thing and as soon as I came out it said "illegal shortcut" and reset me. Not cool!!

Occasional glitches aside though, this is my favorite kart racing game since MKDS. The gameplay feels very refined compared to Mario Kart's endless waves of shells and never getting a good item when you need it. The shield makes you feel a little more secure when you're out in front, while boosting gives you a good chance to catch up from behind. Tying the two together was really great design.

Looking forward to race night!

[quote name='metaly']Just wanted to second this because it is absolutely true. They need to throw in a few more invisible walls over all the tiny fences that are so easy to get bumped over. Earlier tonight I took a turn a little too sharply and got embedded vertically in one of those wooden bridges and had to blow myself up. In the next race, I used the space warp thing and as soon as I came out it said "illegal shortcut" and reset me. Not cool!!

Occasional glitches aside though, this is my favorite kart racing game since MKDS. The gameplay feels very refined compared to Mario Kart's endless waves of shells and never getting a good item when you need it. The shield makes you feel a little more secure when you're out in front, while boosting gives you a good chance to catch up from behind. Tying the two together was really great design.

Looking forward to race night![/QUOTE]

i really don't like it when after a jump, you end up landing on the outside of a guard rail or small gate and the game lets you keep driving and takes several seconds to realize that you're outside of the track....before they reset you. The problem is that the devs probably made the track editor first and then used that to create the tracks. So they probably didn't go back and fine tune the tracks with the invisible force fields... essentially all you're doing is racing on that empty creation field with the track created to guide you.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']The 'rubberbanding' is only an issue in the rival/grudge match races in career mode.

It makes it fun when it's an extra optional challenge for completing all 3 previous ones. If it was mandatory, then it would just be plain annoying.

I can't seem to get enough airtime points in the island level in career mode for an achievement. :cry:[/QUOTE]

If you double-tap X at the top of a ramp, you can double-jump - it lets you go a lot further, which gets you a lot more airtime points. Just make sure you're double-jumping, and using the shortcut to the giant jump off the broken pirate ship and you'll be fine.

(P.S. If you haven't found the ship yet - when you encounter the first little huts, you'll see a shortcut through them; take the path, but when it looks like it curves to the left to get back onto the main track, cut a SHARP right turn. There's a second shortcut to the right that goes through the jungle and leads to a broken ship that's been fashioned into a ramp. You MUST hit this ramp all 3 laps to get enough airtime points!)

Is anybody else pissed off about the fact that they don't send you back to the career mode menu after a race, they send you back to the little circle drive? After every race, I have to drive over to the Career mode section and wait for more load times.

Are you manually exiting back to the Modspot after each career race? Usually when I finish a career race I hit X and it takes me back to Career Central.

You can exit back to the Modspot via the circle menu, but there should also be an option to exit to Career Central.

[quote name='metaly']Are you manually exiting back to the Modspot after each career race? Usually when I finish a career race I hit X and it takes me back to Career Central.

You can exit back to the Modspot via the circle menu, but there should also be an option to exit to Career Central.[/QUOTE]

I get the option to press square to restart the race or cross to continue. :/ I'll try pressing circle next time I play and I'll update.

[quote name='Thomas96']i really don't like it when after a jump, you end up landing on the outside of a guard rail or small gate and the game lets you keep driving and takes several seconds to realize that you're outside of the track....before they reset you. The problem is that the devs probably made the track editor first and then used that to create the tracks. So they probably didn't go back and fine tune the tracks with the invisible force fields... essentially all you're doing is racing on that empty creation field with the track created to guide you.[/QUOTE]

Press select. You're welcome...

[quote name='Hilarity']If you double-tap X at the top of a ramp, you can double-jump - it lets you go a lot further, which gets you a lot more airtime points. Just make sure you're double-jumping, and using the shortcut to the giant jump off the broken pirate ship and you'll be fine.

(P.S. If you haven't found the ship yet - when you encounter the first little huts, you'll see a shortcut through them; take the path, but when it looks like it curves to the left to get back onto the main track, cut a SHARP right turn. There's a second shortcut to the right that goes through the jungle and leads to a broken ship that's been fashioned into a ramp. You MUST hit this ramp all 3 laps to get enough airtime points!)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll try this next time I play. Also, I retract my statement about the rubber-banding in the game; after getting much further into it, it's pretty bad. It's fun regardless of that though.

stop crying about the rubberbanding by the way. The career is hard, something that most games lack these days. Yes, it's kind of ridiculous at times, but people cry too much over it instead of actually getting better and tuning their karts stats to fit their driving style. The actual career mode is EASY TO BEAT. What's hard is completing every single challenge in addition to winning. Btw, the AI doesn't really rubberband as much as in the Career mode in split screen and single player mode from what I can tell...

[quote name='Access_Denied']Is anybody else pissed off about the fact that they don't send you back to the career mode menu after a race, they send you back to the little circle drive? After every race, I have to drive over to the Career mode section and wait for more load times.[/QUOTE]
+1
I got this game a few days ago. I think they nailed the driving mechanics and creation options, but the amount of time you spend trying to start your next race is making me want to go back to Mario Kart Wii.

Every time I start the game I laugh when all that initial loading just gets you to the start menu :p

I was emailed this voucher code for a free mod and kart for ModNation Racers, I don't have the game so here you go for anyone who wants it: RCN4-K3B2-LET7

[quote name='yukine']I was emailed this voucher code for a free mod and kart for ModNation Racers, I don't have the game so here you go for anyone who wants it: RCN4-K3B2-LET7
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer. Tried the code and this is the code for the Air Raid Mod, which I already have from GameSpot. Thanks though!

[quote name='mdmola']stop crying about the rubberbanding by the way. The career is hard, something that most games lack these days. Yes, it's kind of ridiculous at times, but people cry too much over it instead of actually getting better and tuning their karts stats to fit their driving style. The actual career mode is EASY TO BEAT. What's hard is completing every single challenge in addition to winning. Btw, the AI doesn't really rubberband as much as in the Career mode in split screen and single player mode from what I can tell...[/QUOTE]

when you have a dev of the game say its bad and then talk about possibly patching it, people have every right to "cry" about it.

This game is such a broken piece of shit. I've decided that if it doesn't start working properly by tomorrow, I'm getting rid of it. It's a shame, too, because the actual gameplay and customization is so fun.

I got the game on release day, but didn't get to play till 2-3 days later. I did a few single player races and had fun. The one problem was the initial loading time. How is it that every review complained about load times for races (which I'm okay with) but not the loading time when you first start the game? You sit through 45-60 seconds or so of unskippable stuff before getting to the title screen. Then you press a button. Here is what happens:

Loading... 5%... 10%... 25%... 40%... 50%... 65%... Then it takes 3 minutes- not to the second, but 3 minutes every time nonetheless- to even load up the game itself. All right. That's terribly annoying, but I can live with it, I guess.

But fast forward to last night when I tried to play online with friends. The game did not connect to the online servers. Well, it said "unable to connect". This is where it gets weird. The top mods and karts, statues of users, leaderboards, and all that worked. I could download anything I wanted in a second or two. But I was not connected according to the game. I tried for 2 hours to connect manually, and that didn't work. Finally, I went into the creation zone, came out, and was magically online.

I tried again today... same situation. This time, it connected when I clicked "connect to online", but when I went into and then exited the creation zone, I had been disconnected again. It took me 3 tries, waiting a couple minutes each time, before I could connect. So, I did a little experiment.

I attempted to connect manually 20 times. It worked only 8 times.

That's just ridiculous. I have no idea what the problem is, especially since I apparently am connected due to my ability to download things. And isn't the game supposed to sign you in automatically, anyway?

I know it's not an issue with my system, since I was able to try it on someone else's. And I know it's not just my copy. I've read dozens of posts (more exist, but I have only actually read dozens) about people with similar issues.

I just can't believe they'd release a game with so many bugs. The actual gameplay and customization is fantastic, which makes it even harder to swallow. If the game sucked, I'd just get rid of it and move on.

Well, this is the end of my rant. I hope you all have better luck than I have had.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Is anybody else pissed off about the fact that they don't send you back to the career mode menu after a race, they send you back to the little circle drive? After every race, I have to drive over to the Career mode section and wait for more load times.[/QUOTE]

instead of driving over, just hit start and use the circle menu... it was getting annoying for me too... but when you use the circle menu it takes you back to the career menu pretty fast.

[quote name='Matt Young']This game is such a broken piece of shit. I've decided that if it doesn't start working properly by tomorrow, I'm getting rid of it. It's a shame, too, because the actual gameplay and customization is so fun.[/QUOTE]

I'm not far behind you.. This is the first time that I've been so torn like this. There is a lot of "right" happening with this game, but every race is broken up by a ton of frustration.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm not far behind you.. This is the first time that I've been so torn like this. There is a lot of "right" happening with this game, but every race is broken up by a ton of frustration.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it... I let my girlfriend play too and she actually go pretty good. But she got so frustrated, she ended up spending an hour or two on the last level of the Mayhem Tour (achievements). I don't see myself keeping this game for too long... it's fun, but yeah... pretty damn annoying, and on top of that the load times adds on to it. :bomb:

lufia22 on GameFAQs did some experimenting with weapons and weapon loss and here's what he found:

lvl 1 weapons do nothing to opponent weapons
lvl 2 weapons make opponents weapons lose 1 level
lvl 3 weapons make opponents lose their weapon

Falling/environment

falling with lvl 1 = no loss
falling with lvl 2 = no loss
manually blowing yourself up (select) = loss of weapon
bomb barrel = lost 1 level (not sure about other dangerous objects)
Sideswipe = lost 1 level
You apparently don't lose weapons from hitting a mine.

There's also this about the effects of different levels of mines:

Things you might be interested in knowing about mines
lvl 1 mines = temporary (blow up a few seconds after placing)
lvl 2 = permanent mine until hit
lvl 3 = permanent proximity mine until hit

I also tried seeing if there was a limit to mines. I got up to 5 permanent mines out at once before I got tired of testing.
Mines seem to have the same effect as the corresponding weapon, except for green mines which create an oil slick.

[quote name='8bitArtist']when you have a dev of the game say its bad and then talk about possibly patching it, people have every right to "cry" about it.[/QUOTE]

1) They talked about patching the load times...

2) It's a hard game to UNLOCK everything in. The races itself are challenging, but easy to beat once you learn how to race and play strategically. Trust me I wouldn't be bullshitting you if I hadn't figured out how to win

3) The online play along with the custom maps and split screen are the most fun part of this game anyways. If you're only playing single player, you're not doing yourself a favor. It doesn't make sense to not explore the whole game then say you want to return it. There is no possible way that you can't have fun racing in that one tiki tok mountain map, lol..

I agree there is many improvements to be made, most notably loading, but people cry way too much and blaming the games rubber-banding too much. I guess that means that I can one of those to say: I beat ALL the challenges and completed the career mode because I've got the skill and drive to.

It's kind of like when you were younger and when people talked about Mario 64, they bragged about whether they got all 120 stars or not.

[quote name='mdmola']1) They talked about patching the load times...

2) It's a hard game to UNLOCK everything in. The races itself are challenging, but easy to beat once you learn how to race and play strategically. Trust me I wouldn't be bullshitting you if I hadn't figured out how to win.

It's kind of like when you were younger and when people talked about Mario 64, they bragged about whether they got all 120 stars or not.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[quote name='metaly']lufia22 on GameFAQs did some experimenting with weapons and weapon loss and here's what he found:

You apparently don't lose weapons from hitting a mine.

There's also this about the effects of different levels of mines:

Mines seem to have the same effect as the corresponding weapon, except for green mines which create an oil slick.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reposting this - very useful! I'd been wondering about a couple of those. And for anyone who hasn't tried it - that green mine oil slick is WICKED. I think of it as a "glue slick" personally, because it'll bring anyone who drives through it to a dead stop. The higher the level of weapon, the bigger the slick is, and you'll catch more opponents in it.

I know it's tough to think about NOT using a Supercharger or a Warp, but in the right situation, it's totally worth it!

[quote name='mdmola']1) They talked about patching the load times...[/QUOTE]

and the rubberband AI. just cuz you can beat it doesnt mean it isnt over doing it.

[quote name='8bitArtist']and the rubberband AI. just cuz you can beat it doesnt mean it isnt over doing it.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee if you don't crash into walls, take shortcuts, and every tactical possible in the game along with a little bit of common sense, you will be able to succeed and beat some of those harder challenges.

This game is perfect for those are who extremely experienced and have played a lot of challenging games. In regards to the single player, they definitely were not aiming for accessibility here..

[quote name='mdmola']I guarantee if you don't crash into walls, take shortcuts, and every tactical possible in the game along with a little bit of common sense, you will be able to succeed and beat some of those harder challenges.

This game is perfect for those are who extremely experienced and have played a lot of challenging games. In regards to the single player, they definitely were not aiming for accessibility here..[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I LIKE about it! Somewhere in the last decade, the term "kart racer" became synonymous with the term "kiddie game". The single-player modes in the original Mario Karts were HARD; they didn't just dumb them down so that a 7-year-old could easily beat them. I don't think that really came along until we started seeing a huge glut of licensed kart racers, because companies realized that the genre was an easy one to slap a licensed character on and make a quick buck - like "Madagascar Kartz" or "M&Ms Racing".

I'm glad to see that ModNation Racers is bringing back a lot of the old-school classic features, including driving skill and a real CHALLENGE! :applause:

[quote name='Hilarity']The single-player modes in the original Mario Karts were HARD; they didn't just dumb them down so that a 7-year-old could easily beat them.[/QUOTE]
The single-player modes in the old Mario Karts were only hard because the ai rubber-banded to the extreme. I'm all for a challenging racer, but rubber-banding is the wrong way to create difficulty.

Anyway, I've given up on Modnation Racers for now because of the load times. If they fix it in a future patch then I'll come right back, but for now I've switched over to 3D Dot Game Heroes.

[quote name='lilman']The single-player modes in the old Mario Karts were only hard because the ai rubber-banded to the extreme. I'm all for a challenging racer, but rubber-banding is the wrong way to create difficulty.[/QUOTE]

the very first mario kart for the snes had zero rubberband AI. i never played the 64 one so i cant say, but the snes didnt have any of that.

[quote name='8bitArtist']the very first mario kart for the snes had zero rubberband AI. i never played the 64 one so i cant say, but the snes didnt have any of that.[/QUOTE]
I don't remember the snes version too much, I was talking about the ones after it (n64, gc, ds). The n64 version was the most blatant rubber-bander... you could do the most perfect race of your life and it would still be impossible to blow out the competition. The n64 version had any another sneaky trick too, if you were doing too good then all your opponents would get blue shells. You'd be like "hey I'm about to win!" and then get hit by three blue shells in succession, lol. I think they finally did away with obvious rubber-banding in Mario Kart Wii.

Sorry, bit off topic for this thread... Mario Kart nostalgia :)

i think i'm done with this game- I can deal with the rubberband physics, but I don't like the weapon system. I'm pretty sure I can recoup my whole purchase price if i get it to gamestop during the 50% extra tiv deal.

I thought the load times wouldn't be so bad from what I heard people talking about, but then I got the game and wow! fuck these load times. It would be nice if they could fix them, I watch more loading then actual racing.

The loads times are pretty much why I'm not interested in the game at the moment.

I was, but man... those load times would just send me through the roof, lol.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']The loads times are pretty much why I'm not interested in the game at the moment.

I was, but man... those load times would just send me through the roof, lol.[/QUOTE]

An update is expected to come soon to fix the major load times. It is a major turn off to have such a big install but still have crappy load times. Also does anyone know if the psp version of modnation has any type of tie in to the PS3 version?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109588p1.html

In fact, a lot of people hated waiting for stuff to load, the inability to invite friends to XP races, and a few other things.

ModNation Racers is fixing those problems next week.

Yes, the much-anticipated patch that United Front Games has been talking about since the release of ModNation Racers is coming next week and it's tweaking a whole bunch of stuff so that the game feels better than ever. Just what does that include?

Slashed Load Times
Yes, there are still going to be load times, but Sony is reporting that in some cases those loads will be 50 percent faster.

Casual Difficulty FTW
A lot of folks dug the gameplay in ModNation Racers, but they were getting pwned by the game's AI-controlled opponents; those computerized bastards never gave Player 1 a break! Well, this patch introduces Casual Difficulty Mode. This should give people who just want to have some fun the chance to do so without having to worry about hurling a controller after getting sideswiped in the third lap.

Friends with XP Benefits
Racing in XP Races and Series is key to earning experience points and leveling-up online. However, as it stands, you can't invite your friends to XP outings. It kind of sucks the fun out of your multiplayer romp. Well, next week, that'll be a thing of the past. This patch allows you to invite your buddies to races and series, so go level grind!

Death to Hot Lap Cheaters
Apparently, this patch will fix a bug that allowed players to cut through tracks and post ridiculous times in the online Hot Lap section. Only a few more days to steal the spotlight, kids!

The Ultimate Collector
Player cards -- the profile showing what you've whipped up -- will now display all of you creations and not just some of them.

Get Online Faster and Stay There
United Front Games is also fixing MNR so that you'll be able to jump into online races faster than ever. The developers say that this has been done by removing "the online game room from the ModSpot." On top of that, the server's been upgraded to help get rid of those pesky disconnects people were having to deal with. We'll see how that works next week.

Attain the Unattainable (Challenges)
United Front Games has listened to all of your ranting and raving and honed in on three challenges that it agrees are just too damn tough. When you download the patch, expect different completion conditions on the Devastator takedown on Wild Run, the Devastator takedown on Modobahn and the "sideswipe three opponents on the cliff side" task on Fracture.

Free Stuff
The Tin Bucket item will be unlocked for everyone! Hooray!

[quote name='Matt Young']There's a CAG night! Wednesdays at 10 P.M. Eastern.[/QUOTE]

That's 7 my time, I'm there!

How do I get in? Who do I add? Why is Carrot Top so buff? It isn't in the OP and I skimmed the last two pages. Don't get mad! :bomb:

[quote name='Matt Young']They changed the 250,000 XP trophy to 25,000.[/QUOTE]

well that just goes to show how long its been since i played this. maybe ill start it back up now with the newly added casual difficulty.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']That's 7 my time, I'm there!

How do I get in? Who do I add? Why is Carrot Top so buff? It isn't in the OP and I skimmed the last two pages. Don't get mad! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I'm in California, too, as is randy_wrecked (PSN name; not sure if that's his CAG name). You can add me (MattYoung730), him, metaly, or any/all of several others. I don't make it to the game nights as much as some guys do.

Go here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262739&page=10

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm in California, too, as is randy_wrecked (PSN name; not sure if that's his CAG name). [/QUOTE]

That's me! I'm in NY, actually. Metaly and Freakyzeeky are in CA.

Patch has done it's job with connecting to games easier and reducing the load times.

It's playable now, hooray. But now I suck. :whistle2:(

>_>

Yeah, I thought it came out today. I told my brother to DL before he left to work.

My personal solution to long load times? Do not play the game for a really long time so you forget about it and surf the interweb while it loads. :drool:

I will say it does seem to be running smoother and faster than the first couple of days it was out.

I have been playing for about 2 weeks now and I have been enjoying it aside from it liking to respawn me back 8 spaces and respawning them in front of me...

The majority of my time has been spent in the creation section though and I need some help!

I have been done with my character and kart for almost a week now, but I can get the final parts I need.

#1 Ponytail - Apparently I need to beat a grudge match guy, but I can't even get to his grudge match because I NEVER finish first when I have completed one of the goals. Anytime I complete a goal, everyone on the track starts raping me and the game must start giving them 3 items at a time and unlimited shields from there on out because I seem to be the only one that ever runs out.
Is there another way to get this?

#2 I need some type of jacket that is more like a cloak or a cape I guess. Anything like that? I have (what I think) is a really great Black Rock Shooter, but I can't get these final pieces. I know there must be some way to make a jacket that works for her, because I have seen similar things through Google, but I can't figure out if it's more than one item or if it's something I can unlock.

Please help!

For #1, wait for the patch since it'll have an easier difficulty that will let you beat the race and possibly get the challenges more easily, as well.

bread's done
Back