ModNation Racers -- General Info and Discussion

[quote name='DaddyBoJangles']Ive heard the AI is real bad in career mode, it scares me8-[[/QUOTE]

I hope you mean GREAT !! The AI is way too good on the career mode.
If you listen to the latest Kotaku Podcast they have a producer of the game on there and even he says the Career AI is ridiculously good . He then stated they might add a feature to change the difficulty

IT IS INSANELY DIFFICULT !

Walk away from the game for a bit, and then come back. Yesterday there were a few challenges I couldn't get close to completing, and then this morning after being fresh I 1 shotted all of em'. :)

[quote name='Jmclark']If you're only on 3.15, then you HAVE to update to get on PSN. If you sign in right now, even without MNR, it will tell you that.[/QUOTE]

Let me say this again - does the game require anything higher than 3.15? Clearly PSN is broken so I'm not concerned too much about playing online. I just need to know that if I spend money on this game it will work. There's no point in buying a broken/disabled game, is there? That's why I quit using the PSP 4 years ago.

Damn, all you guys are on the East Coast :(. I'll be receiving my game today according to USPS tracking from GoHastings.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I dont know what it is but I have honestly NEVER been this pissed off at a game, once I got the 3rd world finals I cant even finish higher than 5th place. I think this is complete bullshit !! I am seriously contemplating on bringing the damn game back :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I kind of felt that way about Mario Kart at times. I don't know, hopefully I don't end up selling it sooner than expected due to frustration. That's what sucks about these cart games. I'm not even going to bother trying to Platinum this game... it's like 10x harder than LBP and time consuming with the online bs.

is it "demons souls" hard. because everyone talked up how hard that game was and while it was much more challenging than just about anything on other systems at the current time, it wasnt as bad as I was expecting. And yes, I meant bad as in good. I heard its RUBBBERRRRBANDDDINGGG action.

[quote name='DaddyBoJangles']is it "demons souls" hard. because everyone talked up how hard that game was and while it was much more challenging than just about anything on other systems at the current time, it wasnt as bad as I was expecting. And yes, I meant bad as in good. I heard its RUBBBERRRRBANDDDINGGG action.[/QUOTE]

Okay here is my problem with the game.

1. there is literally " NEVER " more than 15-20 feet between players on the career mode.

2. On every track there is a specific rival that is somewhat better than the others, and if you blow them up or something they seem to recover IMMEDIATELY and are on your ass in seconds.

3. Sometime the AI know exactly when to conserve enough boost power to enable their shield at the exact second but I always seem to run out of boost before being able to put up my shield.

4. The loading times are atrocious, hopefully they really are making a patch to fix that SOON.

5. But other than those problems with the game I would still maybe give it a 8/10 .

I posted in the trading thread, but might as well mention it here also.

I have Kratos w/ Mousetrap pre-order code + Air Raid code, and am willing to trade for any other combo (preferably non-Kratos so I can double dip ;) ). PM if interested :)

Also, still looking for more racers to race with. If you add me, just mention CAG in the friend request.

[quote name='Jmclark']Picked up the game today, but my glasses broke, so it's too tough to play the PS3 tonight. I can't wait for tomorrow thought![/QUOTE]

youre a few more lines away from having a hit country song.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Okay here is my problem with the game.

1. there is literally " NEVER " more than 15-20 feet between players on the career mode.

2. On every track there is a specific rival that is somewhat better than the others, and if you blow them up or something they seem to recover IMMEDIATELY and are on your ass in seconds.

3. Sometime the AI know exactly when to conserve enough boost power to enable their shield at the exact second but I always seem to run out of boost before being able to put up my shield.

4. The loading times are atrocious, hopefully they really are making a patch to fix that SOON.

5. But other than those problems with the game I would still maybe give it a 8/10 .[/QUOTE]

I did my first rival race tonight, and I never saw the guy in 1st place. Ever. Same thing as playing online with a coupe of my friends, we turned bots on and the highest I finished was 2nd. Never even saw the backend of the Mod in first. That AI is insane.

[quote name='Jmclark']lolwut?[/QUOTE]

older country songs used to have depressin lyrics about the bad things going on in someones life. so you have a a new game but your glasses broke so you cant play it well because you cant see anything.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you're only posting here to advertise your mod, kart, or track and to beg for ratings/downloads, create another thread for that trophy stuff so you're not clogging up this thread with that crap.[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea. Somebody do it. I haven't even opened the game- got it Tuesday- so I have nothing to share. But I'd love to check out some other people's stuff.

But I will open the game within 24 hours. I only have a small group of friends that plays this, so add MattYoung730 and please mention you're from CAG/your user name.

[quote name='Matt Young']This is a great idea. Somebody do it. I haven't even opened the game- got it Tuesday- so I have nothing to share. But I'd love to check out some other people's stuff.

But I will open the game within 24 hours. I only have a small group of friends that plays this, so add MattYoung730 and please mention you're from CAG/your user name.[/QUOTE]

Done :D Hopefully we get a lot of responses, Im interested in what some people can come up with since I lack all creativity.

I got this game and I absolutely loved it. From what I kept hearing about the loading times I thought they were going to be horrendous but they've improved the speed of them from the beta phase greatly.

Add me if you guys want to get some races in, I have a mic.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING. Also, I've completed the 3rd tour and have had to redo a few challenges, but have been doing well for the most part. I figured out a good part of the map where you can get people with the devestator easily (the part where the track splits into two and there are two of them side to side. You just have to race with the group).

I am I the only one who who thinks the game up to this point hasn't actually been that hard...? I hate the rubberbanding in the grudge matches, but it's still fun, fast, and not hard to win. You have to just do everything that you're suppose to and you don't NEED to be drifting 24/7...

well in the grudge matches, the rubberbanding is absolutely ridiculously. In the normal matches, if you play the right way, you can still kill all the AI other than the main challenger.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']how the hell can people complain about rubberbanding in a mario kart-esque game when mario kart was notorious for that shit?[/QUOTE]

Because it's apparently worse than Mario Kart Wii (the worst in rubberbanding) which is one fucking huge accomplishment!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't noticed any particularly bad rubber-band AI and haven't had trouble getting in first until the 4th tour.

Even if there is rubberbanding, the shield helps prevent most of the screw ups from happening.

[quote name='bmachine']Some of BitMob's favorite mods (so far):
http://www.bitmob.com/articles/modnation-racers-mario-iron-man-jesus-krusty-and-more

The Bride and Rorschach are awesome. I want the Jesus mod just so I can race against Santa Claus.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, those are amazing! Not that it's somebody I'd want to race as, but that Bob the Builder at the end looks DEAD-ON. Like perfect - if you told me that was designed by the show creators, I'd believe you.

I don't know if I'm late to the party on this one, but I went to download the Kevin Butler mod that Sony put up, and when I did, I found that they'd actually uploaded a second mod as well - Kevin Butler in the gym teacher outfit from the commercial that's on TV right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMqbRt4Lpk

It's got the orange shorts and the mustache and everything - it's awesome. Just do a text search for "ArtistSpotlight1" and you'll find both of the Kevin Butler mods.

Has anyone else had trouble joining casual games? Me and 2 friends tried having a casual race, but we can't all get in the same lobby. We can get in the same ModSpot fine though.

Does anyone else remember seeing a video a little while back of the folks at Naughty Dog making a Infamous/Empire City-themed track? Is that available yet?

I did a quick search and found a few user-created tracks (and some mods of Cole) but I didn't see anything from ND. Wondering if maybe I'm not searching for the right keyword.

[quote name='bmachine']Does anyone else remember seeing a video a little while back of the folks at Naughty Dog making a Infamous/Empire City-themed track? Is that available yet?

I did a quick search and found a few user-created tracks (and some mods of Cole) but I didn't see anything from ND. Wondering if maybe I'm not searching for the right keyword.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it's official, but I saw an Empire City track. It was on like the 5th page of most downloaded.

Just started playing this last night, and I think it's a lot of fun. The online integration of everything in the ModSpot is pretty neat.

I can't wait for a load time patch, and hopefully a patch to adjust the AI a bit.

P.S. Chuckie Finster Mod is AWESOME.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Because it's apparently worse than Mario Kart Wii (the worst in rubberbanding) which is one fucking huge accomplishment![/QUOTE]

this game is definitely an improvement upon mario kart... there may be some rubberbanding, however what was worse in mario kart was when you hit a jump and someone hits you with something in the middle of a jump and then you'd fall all the way down and would have to do half the lap over again. At least with this game if you're in the middle of a jump and you get hit with an item they let you're momentum carry you over. Plus you got a shield... sometimes you have to know when to race offensively (boosting) and when to race defensively (holding on to the shield).

The 'rubberbanding' is only an issue in the rival/grudge match races in career mode.

It makes it fun when it's an extra optional challenge for completing all 3 previous ones. If it was mandatory, then it would just be plain annoying.

I can't seem to get enough airtime points in the island level in career mode for an achievement. :cry:

*Sigh* Why was my thread moved in with this one? The reason I started it was to not have discussion on the game, but just PSN names of people who are playing for multiplayer purposes. Entirely killed the point of the thread, otherwise I'd of started it in here. Now to get racer names I have to sort through a lot of jibber jabber.

someone could just make a list and post it in the first post.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this game. the only thing I can fault this game about is the terrible load times. the customization is amazing and right up my alley. I actually like the level of "difficulty" and it doesn't make you restart a whole circuit like MK used to make you do. I like the way you do challenges to unlock parts/unlockables

I like how you drift.....forever....and the way you can use your shield to protect against shenanigans.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Because it's apparently worse than Mario Kart Wii (the worst in rubberbanding) which is one fucking huge accomplishment![/QUOTE]

after playing the first 6 races plus a grudge match, it just seems like the person with the grudge is "that" good. The computer seems to be absolutely pro at boost management

so, i think im pretty much done with this game already and its fucking rubberbanding AI. this shit is ridiculous. let me know when they patch the cheapness.

[quote name='8bitArtist']so, i think im pretty much done with this game already and its fucking rubberbanding AI. this shit is ridiculous. let me know when they patch the cheapness.[/QUOTE]

haha yeah I noticed your PSN profile comment about one of the circuits being rediculous. But I am with you I am sticking with Red Dead Redemption and SSFIV for now until a difficulty patch is available

yes I know I suck at game :D

actually the dash circuit comment is in reference to 3d dot game heroes. hahahaha. but seriously, the AI is worse than mario karts... and i didnt think that was ever possible. i cant even get first on the 2nd race, 3rd section, let alone do all the dumb shit to unlock the new stuff to help mod.

I'm not finding the game hard. It seems the game requires you to have GOOD lap times in order to win. It reminds me of the 150CC special cup in Mario Kart for the SNES.

someone needs to explain to me how to get a great start in this game

[quote name='kurrptsenate']I'm not finding the game hard. It seems the game requires you to have GOOD lap times in order to win. It reminds me of the 150CC special cup in Mario Kart for the SNES.

someone needs to explain to me how to get a great start in this game[/QUOTE]

what part of the game are you on kurrpt? i didnt find the rubberbanding AI to really come out until the 3rd set of races (after the mayhem tour). thats when you start getting pummeled. its almost like you cant use any of your boost for anything else but shield or else youll get destroyed.

on top of trying to do the dumb challenges so you can unlock more stuff to customize was a bad idea on UFGs part.

as for the great start boost, when the first light lights up, hold down r2 and then when the announcer says GO, you hit L1. he will say go though at different times so you gotta listen.

I'm on the 7th race so it seems you are a bit further than me.

I actually like the way you unlock collectibles in this game. It gives me more reason to replay a race, which in turn, helps me learn the track better.

I'm on the side of the fence that would rather a game be too hard than too easy :/

[quote name='Thomas96']this game is definitely an improvement upon mario kart... there may be some rubberbanding, however what was worse in mario kart was when you hit a jump and someone hits you with something in the middle of a jump and then you'd fall all the way down and would have to do half the lap over again.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I loved that part of MK. Great feeling to do it to a buddy as they think they are racing towards a first place finish.

Hey just incase people dont know how to get the Starting Boost

When at the starting line the announcer will yell " GO " or something like that whenever the light turns green. What you have to do it push the boost button when he says " GO " or whenever the light turns green. Hope that helps :D

[quote name='Jmclark']I hate how the time he says "Go" is always so different. Makes it hard to time a good start boost.[/QUOTE]

It's not really a science. I just keep my fingers on L1 and R2 until he says "GO" and then I press both down at the same time. Sometimes I'm a half-a-second late but I still get the boost start from it.

I'm on tier 4 race 4 and I haven't had a problem with any of the races and achievement other than the devastator ones. This is by far my favorite Kart racing game over Mario Kart Wii and Sonic & Sega All-Stars racing. (Which I enjoyed very much)

[quote name='bmachine']Does anyone else remember seeing a video a little while back of the folks at Naughty Dog making a Infamous/Empire City-themed track? Is that available yet?

I did a quick search and found a few user-created tracks (and some mods of Cole) but I didn't see anything from ND. Wondering if maybe I'm not searching for the right keyword.[/QUOTE]
Naughty Dog wasn't the one that was making an Infamous track, but somebody at Sucker Punch. I saw an Empire City track on there, but I didn't get the chance to try it out to see if it was the one from the Artist Spotlight video.

I just hold R2 and when I hear 'GO' I press L1, even if I'm a bit late I'll still get the boost.

Anyone know which weapons (when hit) take away the weapons you currently have, I doubt it's random.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']Anyone know which weapons (when hit) take away the weapons you currently have, I doubt it's random.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure lightning does. I don't know about the others.

The last circuit is pretty frustrating as the game throws everything at you on the last lap. I can't begin to count how many times where I was in first a short distance from the finish line only to have weapon after weapon raining down eventually draining out my shield causing me to lose.

One thing Mario Kart had going for it that MNR does not was how finely tuned the tracks were. Falling off wasn't anywhere near as frustrating; in MNR I've gotten stuck in trees, building, under bridges, behind fences, etc. And it seems like it often takes forever to get your kart to respawn.

But even with its faults, it's an entertaining game. Just beat the last circuit so I'm going to have a frustrating fun time working through whatever challenges I missed and looking for the missing tokens. I can't wait until I really get to dig into the track editor, my brother and I were having a blast just making some goofy tracks the other night.

bread's done
Back