Mods please lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Erm...

Reliever Luis Ayala of the Washington Nationals was hurt in the USA/Mexico game. He's done for the season.[/quote]

Sucks to hear. This is why I believe if they moved it after the WS it would work better.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Sucks to hear. This is why I believe if they moved it after the WS it would work better.[/QUOTE]

The ironic thing about what you said (although I understand your point) is that Ayala needs Tommy John, so he would've missed the season, anyway.

David wells is back to talking shit...not sure what he said, but francona feels that wells is feeling he will be left out of the starting rotation at the beginning of the year.

[quote name='ryanbph']David wells is back to talking shit...not sure what he said, but francona feels that wells is feeling he will be left out of the starting rotation at the beginning of the year.[/QUOTE]

Wells has always been a talker. I wouldn't necessarily put too much stock into what he's saying. He's just a little frustrated that the Red Sox want to be more careful with his knee than he thinks is really necessary.

[quote name='ryanbph']David wells is back to talking shit...not sure what he said, but francona feels that wells is feeling he will be left out of the starting rotation at the beginning of the year.[/quote]

From what I've read, Wells was upset about Francona talking to the media about what him and Wells had discussed in a meeting.

Apparently the discussion was about Wells not pitching until April 15th, since the Red Sox have 2 days off in the first 8 days. Francona wants to go with a 4 man rotation until then, due to the rest schedule of 4 days between starts.

This is the rotation as of now (from the article on ESPN.com):

Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Clement
Wells (not going to pitch until 4/15)

[quote name='craven_fiend']From what I've read, Wells was upset about Francona talking to the media about what him and Wells had discussed in a meeting.

Apparently the discussion was about Wells not pitching until April 15th, since the Red Sox have 2 days off in the first 8 days. Francona wants to go with a 4 man rotation until then, due to the rest schedule of 4 days between starts.

Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Clement
Wells (not going to pitch until 4/15)[/QUOTE]

Speaking of that rotation, there are rumors that Clement may be traded to Pittsburgh for Craig Wilson.

[quote name='greendj27']Speaking of that rotation, there are rumors that Clement may be traded to Pittsburgh for Craig Wilson.[/quote]

Thats their SS, right? That would be an interesting trade.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Thats their SS, right? That would be an interesting trade.[/QUOTE]

No, the SS is Jack Wilson. Craig Wilson is a C/1B with power. He'd be good for the Red Sox, as a backup catcher / 1st baseman and DH. A nice bench player with some pop.

[quote name='greendj27']No, the SS is Jack Wilson. Craig Wilson is a C/1B with power. He'd be good for the Red Sox, as a backup catcher / 1st baseman and DH. A nice bench player with some pop.[/quote]

Alright. Maybe he can catch a knuckleball. :rofl:

[quote name='craven_fiend']Alright. Maybe he can catch a knuckleball. :rofl:[/QUOTE]
He would be an interesting guy to have on the bench, possibly to take over at 1st if Lowell shits the bed and Youkilis moves back to 3rd. He can play 1B, C, and OF. He's never hit for average, usually around .260, but he has good power and good OBP numbers. But he strikes out a lot, he's got Mark Bellhorn strikeout numbers. But thats not so bad for a bench player, or your 6th hitter at best.

He came up through the minors as a catcher but has primarily played OF and 1B in the majors, he's still a reasonably decent catcher thats trying to get more at bats in Pittsburgh by being their backup catcher. I'd love to pick him up, he'd solve a lot of problems. I'd give them Clement straight up, but they'll definitely want us to eat that salary since they're at their budget now and can't take on salary, Wilson only makes about 3 mil. If we have to eat salary, then I want a prospect thrown in.

BTW, anyone watching Japan vs Korea? This is great, very entertaining game, and the unintentional humor by the announcers is pretty good, too. One players name is Bum Ho Lee, and the announcer cracks up whenever he has to say it. I thought that everybody on the Korea team was named Kim, actually most of the starting lineup is named Lee.

Giants beat Seattle 14-3, good to see Ellison and Linden got time and helped, gonna be tough to pick who is the 5th OF behind Bonds or Winn. Schmidt didn't do to bad 1 ER, 5 Hits in 5 innings.

Can't wait until April 3rd first game.

Thats my Kim! Gets taken deep, drills the next batter, throws a wild pitch and gives up a ground rule double for a run. Surprised he didn't flip off the umpire during the warning.

Hell yeah! Finally showing recognition, trying to ride this ship from being a Boston Red Sox stag party to a MLB discussion. What it do`

[quote name='ph33r m3']Hell yeah! Finally showing recognition, trying to ride this ship from being a Boston Red Sox stag party to a MLB discussion. What it do`[/quote]

Preseason discussions. Its just dominated by BoSox fans

How does the rotation look like for the Dodgers? Reading the newspapers in New York, you'd think it was still the 40's when the Cards were the western most team.

For some reason the Red Sox seem to be involved in every trade rumor. Now there is this one:

The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility.

[quote name='depascal22']How does the rotation look like for the Dodgers? Reading the newspapers in New York, you'd think it was still the 40's when the Cards were the western most team.[/QUOTE]

Not too bad know that Seo had a good WBC. I kno it is early, but he was shutting people down.
As of now looks like:
O. Perez
B. Penny
D. Lowe
B. Tomko
J. Seo
No real Ace, but if these guys stay healthy, I see 13-15 wins out of each.

[quote name='vrs1650']Not too bad know that Seo had a good WBC. I kno it is early, but he was shutting people down.
As of now looks like:
O. Perez
B. Penny
D. Lowe
B. Tomko
J. Seo
No real Ace, but if these guys stay healthy, I see 13-15 wins out of each.[/QUOTE]

haha i cant wait to see the how the mets starters fits the bill with the back of the rotation a total mystery not knowing how Heilman,Trachsel, and Zambrano are going to handle it this year... After watching Jae Seo pitch he should be the dodgers number 1 ace. He is surley better than tomko and i doubt they will slot penny at second coming back from injury...if anything Lowe should be slotted at 2.

So who is excited about the Japan and Cuba Final?

[quote name='craven_fiend']From what I've read, Wells was upset about Francona talking to the media about what him and Wells had discussed in a meeting.

Schilling
Wakefield
Beckett
Clement
Wells (not going to pitch until 4/15)[/QUOTE]
didn't wells call francona an idiot. This is the shit that happens when you try to accomadate players. First dave roberts didn't want to be a role player, even though we could have used him, we do what he wants and trade him. Then payton isn't happy, throws a fit, and we trade him. No we got wells talking shit.

[quote name='greendj27']For some reason the Red Sox seem to be involved in every trade rumor. Now there is this one:

The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility.[/QUOTE]

Well it went through, Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo & cash...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ent_id=1356543&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I just don't get where Pena fits into the Red Sox right now... and if you're looking for a future guy, why not look for a high level prospect you could get cheaper? Maybe one of you Boston guys can help explain that one.

I don't understand that deal either. Why trade away an arm for a guy that you're going to platoon? He strikes out way too much to be really productive but he does offer more protection in the lineup for Papi and Manny.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well it went through, Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo & cash...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ent_id=1356543&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I just don't get where Pena fits into the Red Sox right now... and if you're looking for a future guy, why not look for a high level prospect you could get cheaper? Maybe one of you Boston guys can help explain that one.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Boston guy, but Pena is a good prospect. I heard that they mostly wanted Pena for next year when Trot is gone, but there is also a chance they may try to traded Trot away right now.

[quote name='greendj27']I'm not a Boston guy, but Pena is a good prospect. I heard that they mostly wanted Pena for next year when Trot is gone, but there is also a chance they may try to traded Trot away right now.[/QUOTE]

Pena was a good prospect, he's more of a decent outfielder that seems to have gotten about all the development he's likely to achieve now (of course thats IMO). Unless they're planning on moving Trot for someone.. I just don't see the logic in this move for them.

Of course replacing Damon & Nixon with Crisp and Pena is pretty much giving in that they're going to need a year or two to rebuild.

Maybe they're still trying to move Manny before the end of the summer. I know the Mets still have a hard on for him but with Pedro hurt I don't think they'll give up any pitching to get him.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Pena was a good prospect, he's more of a decent outfielder that seems to have gotten about all the development he's likely to achieve now (of course thats IMO). Unless they're planning on moving Trot for someone.. I just don't see the logic in this move for them.

Of course replacing Damon & Nixon with Crisp and Pena is pretty much giving in that they're going to need a year or two to rebuild.[/QUOTE]

Pena is still only 24, so he should still improve. In my opinion they were just doing a pre-emptive strike on next offseason. They had excess pitching and were going to need an outfielder next year, so they did the deal.

Keep in mind that Pena has not even played a full season in the minors yet. He was blocked by Kearns, Dunn, and Griffey.

While I am not a fan of picking up pena, he is a decent guy to have coming off the bench, and to hit lefties. I wouldn't be suprised if we move nixon around the trade deadline. Since he gets hurt every year, and his production has dropped off, he needs to have a good 1/2 half for us to get anything for him. Several radio sports hosts don't feel the sox are really looking for this season. With a surplus of decent pitching prospect, and beckett/paplebon both being young they are looking for 2007 and beyond. Dustin Pedroia will be the starting ss/2b if not this season, next. Youkillis is at 1b, and cocco in cf. Pena will play a corner position. I hope they go after andrew jones for cf. As for catching, they used one of there several first round picks on a catcher.

As for bronson leaving, I have no problem with that. Yes he won 14 games last year, but he is very inconsistent, and we did have one of the best offenses in baseball over the past 2 seasons. The offense did help arroyo win several extra games. He has pitched like shit most of the spring, and I heard the game the other day on the radio, and the announce team were talking about the lack of sharpness on any of his pitches. He usually pays attention to runners, but let several get away on him, and he was taking a lot of time on the mound, where he usually is pretty good about the time between pitches. He is 28/29 area, and has pretty much maxed out. He will have 5 unbelievable starts, and then 3 - 4 really bad ones, and 3 - 4 avg ones. On a world series contender, he would be a #5 at best.

He was pretty much the 7th starter on this team, there was nowhere for him to play. Plus, they traded him at his peak value, Lenny Dinardo can step in and pretty much give you what Arroyo would have.

Guys like Pena don't grow on trees, he's got some power. He probably shouldn't have been in the majors yet, but they couldn't send him down. I think he'll improve and be a legit #5 hitter.

The plan here is to retool the roster with younger guys, around 24-25, that are productive now but haven't reached their full potential yet. The mandate from ownership is to compete every year, so this is as close to rebuilding as they'll get. I think they've done a good job, and they still have a few assets left to trade.

They picked up Beckett, Crisp, Pena, Youkilis is starting now, theres a bunch of young guys in the system that'll step in within 2 years, and a lot of the veterans they'll end up replacing are short term guys. Not many positions are blocked aside from catcher.

Pena could wind up playing a lot at 1st. They'll go out of their way to make sure he gets a lot of at bats. The last 2 years combined, he hit 45 home runs in 647 at bats. Mark Teixeira hit 43 home runs in 644 at bats last year. Worst case scenario is Dave Kingman. But, plate discipline comes with time. He'll always strike out a lot, but I don't think he'll be Soriano at the plate.

Maybe the Sox should've picked up a shortstop prospect instead of a guy they can only use in a platoon situation. Arroyo might have been a 7th starter but he could've eaten some innings in long relief.

[quote name='depascal22']Maybe the Sox should've picked up a shortstop prospect instead of a guy they can only use in a platoon situation. Arroyo might have been a 7th starter but he could've eaten some innings in long relief.[/quote]
Its a good move if the end up moving Nixon by the dealine. But yeah, not addressing the SS issue is a real bummer.

Hopefully they can package something at the break to bring in a decent SS and a prospect for a starter and position player.

Edit: Maybe steal Lugo or Upton away from Tampa Bay.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Its a good move if the end up moving Nixon by the dealine. But yeah, not addressing the SS issue is a real bummer.

Hopefully they can package something at the break to bring in a decent SS and a prospect for a starter and position player.[/quote]

Sounds like a great plan, but Arroyo would've gotten more value than Nixon or Pena. Unless they find a buyer for Manny, they've got a potential logjam in the outfield.

[quote name='depascal22']Sounds like a great plan, but Arroyo would've gotten more value than Nixon or Pena. Unless they find a buyer for Manny, they've got a potential logjam in the outfield.[/quote]

I don't foresee them trading off Pena any time soon, unless packaged with someone.

I see Trot, Graffinino, and Clement (or Wells) being dealt at some point. And if they're having stellar season to that point, could command something decent in return.

I know Lugo or Upton are a stretch, but theres always hope.

And as for Manny, I don't see him being moved until possibly the winter, since he seems to be back from Manny's World, for now atleast.

[quote name='depascal22']Maybe the Sox should've picked up a shortstop prospect instead of a guy they can only use in a platoon situation. Arroyo might have been a 7th starter but he could've eaten some innings in long relief.[/QUOTE]
They've got a shortstop prospect about a year (or less) away from being major league ready, Dustin Pedroia. Gonzalez is just a stopgap until he's ready.

Pena is something they don't have in the system, power at a corner position. He eliminates the need for an outfielder next year when Nixon leaves. He can play 1st if Lowell sucks. And he has legitimate potential to hit 40-50 home runs. Its not often you can get a guy like that for a fairly average 5th starter. Pena is raw and undisciplined, but thats a product of not getting at bats and not getting time in the minors to learn. He should have been in AAA the last few years, they couldn't send him down.

good point about pena and the ss situation.

The Yankees have been suspiciously quiet about making any moves. Wang pitched yesterday for AAA Columbus. 3 2/3 innings, 5 runs, 7 hits against Syracuse which I believe is Toronto's AAA team.

Word from the Mets is that Pedro is scheduled to start Saturday. It's setting up so he starts Game 2 of the season with an extra day of rest. His next start will be on April 11 again with an extra day of rest. The kid gloves will be out this entire season. Rickey Henderson is mentoring Jose Reyes. Maybe he could swipe 100 bases this year, if he gets on base at more than a .300 clip.

Final attendance figures for the WBC:

Final -- 42,696
Semis -- 83,907
Total -- 737,112 for 39 games

What the hell is up with Soriano???? Someone call Washington and tell them I'll take half of Soriano's pay to play left. Hell, I'll do practically ANYTHING for that much scratch. I wonder if he'll be eligible for unemployment.....

[quote name='ryanbph']yanks pitching is hurting...small has groin problems, mussina has looked poor , jared wright is hurt, pavano is hurt.[/quote]

Good to see their money was well spent on Wright and Pavano. Good thing the Sox didn't try to get Pavano.

Has Wright been healthy once at all? What's funny is that two of the top pitchers from the Yanks are one of their 'lowest paid' with Small and that guy they picked up from Colorado (forgot his name).

I think this year in baseball could be very interesting:

Gary Sheffield - OF - Yankees

According to the latest excerpt released from "Game of Shadows," Gary Sheffield injected testosterone and human growth hormone in January 2002.
Sheffield, who in 2003 reportedly admitted to a federal grand jury to unknowingly having used a steroid cream, also sought to maintain a relationship with Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson after Bonds and Sheffield had a falling out in 2002, according to the book's authors. Sheffield reportedly attempted to obtain the designer steroids "the cream" and "the clear" through Anderson. The report goes on to say that Anderson kept a drug calendar that documented Sheffield's use of HGH and testosterone. Mar. 22 - 6:45 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

[quote name='greendj27']The report goes on to say that Anderson kept a drug calendar that documented Sheffield's use of HGH and testosterone. Mar. 22 - 6:45 pm et
Source: ESPN.com[/QUOTE]
Those drug calendars are huge... Their steroid use was almost as meticulously documented by Anderson as their baseball stats are.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Good to see their money was well spent on Wright and Pavano. Good thing the Sox didn't try to get Pavano.[/quote]

the sox did try. They offered a tad under a million MORE then the yanks. Pavano's mother and girlfriend/wife (whatever she is) wanted him to play in NY. I was so happy, as I didn't think pavano would be a succesful AL pitcher.

[quote name='ryanbph']the sox did try. They offered a tad under a million MORE then the yanks. Pavano's mother and girlfriend/wife (whatever she is) wanted him to play in NY. I was so happy, as I didn't think pavano would be a succesful AL pitcher.[/quote]

Good thing they didn't succeed then, :rofl:

[quote name='ryanbph']the sox did try. They offered a tad under a million MORE then the yanks. Pavano's mother and girlfriend/wife (whatever she is) wanted him to play in NY. I was so happy, as I didn't think pavano would be a succesful AL pitcher.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, me too. I didn't like Pavano or Contreras when we were going after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back