Monster Hunter PS2 - $19.99 USED at Gamestop / EB - Huge price drop!

[quote name='CaoPi']is this game even any good? SOunds so generic, cmon now Monster Hunter?!?[/QUOTE]

The game is worth every bit of the $20 that it is new. Just think of a more methodical Phantasy Star Online with monster slaying, farming and more weapons & armor than you can shake a stick at. Find a couple of friends and go at it. If anyone picks this up and wants to go online, just PM me and we'll hit the trail for the kill ;)

P.S. CaoPi, I still haven't made it to Gamecrazy yet.... Had to deal with repairmen at home today :( I'll be there tomorrow as the manager and his g/f picked me up some Atlus goodies from E3...

[quote name='CaoPi']is this game even any good? SOunds so generic, cmon now Monster Hunter?!?[/QUOTE]
The name isn't original, but I found the game really fun. It didn't get very good reviews, but if you can stand repeative action-RPG games (the Diablo kind), the battles are actually very entertaining. If you got addicted to PSO, you'll probably love it. If you prefer story-driven RPGs, then you probably won't be a huge fan of it.

About time it dropped. MH is a very fun game. It's like PSO but medievil style. Also you have to forage for stuff, cook some food and the like. Either a love it or hate it game. I loved it.

It has a single player mode but it's just like the online mode. The single player mode consists of Missions that you do. While the online mode, you meet up in a town and pick from a set of avaliable mission depending on your level and go do them with a group.

Very fun game but personally I'm waiting for MH2 on PS2. Maybe it'll come out this fall. Oh and yeah......get a keyboard if you want to play online...no voice chat.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the game if you're not going to play Online. There's only a handful of worthwhile missions, and they're very frustrating playing by yourself.

Online is a completely different story. Unlike some other games, almost everyone I meet on there is cool. The missions are more fun, and quite simply the best weapons, armor and missions are only available online. It's really like two different games, where the offline mode I'd give a 5/10 or so, and the online more like a 9 (okay maybe that's a bit high but somehow along the way I played this game for damn near 200 hours so obviously I saw something compelling there . . . )

Definitely looking forward to Monster Hunter 2 tho.

do a lot of people still play online? cause i remember playing online with resident evil and 90% of the time i was alone by myself. i've always wanted this game but the whole resident evil online thing and the reviews scared me off . if i know it'll be easy to hook up with people i may have to pick this up.

I got this game the day it came out and was very upset with it. I loved PSO, so I thought this game would be a slam dunk, but no one was ever online, and the combat seemed to be slower and sillier. Just couldn't get into it.

I agree that it's a love it or hate it game.

[quote name='figcoinc']About time it dropped. MH is a very fun game. It's like PSO but medievil style. Also you have to forage for stuff, cook some food and the like. Either a love it or hate it game. I loved it.

It has a single player mode but it's just like the online mode. The single player mode consists of Missions that you do. While the online mode, you meet up in a town and pick from a set of avaliable mission depending on your level and go do them with a group.

Very fun game but personally I'm waiting for MH2 on PS2. Maybe it'll come out this fall. Oh and yeah......get a keyboard if you want to play online...no voice chat.[/QUOTE]

the only way MH2 will most likely come out to the states is if monster hunter freedom for the PSP (Aka, monster hunter G + more - online) sells well.

[quote name='Number83']Does it have a single player campaign? Can you describe it? Thanks![/QUOTE]
Single player is more or less like the multiplayer but without any teammates. Again, think PSO. I found it fairly enjoyable in the single-player, but I wouldn't say it's worth $20 for that aspect alone. If you aren't planning on taking it online, you might want to wait until it drops to $10 or so.

On the bright side, everything you earn in single-player can be used in multiplayer, so if you're planning to get an online adaptor sometime in the future but don't have one yet, it's a good game to use to pass the time so that you're ready for the significantly more challenging multiplayer (well, depending on teammates). It should also be mentioned that online has many missions that can't be found in the single-player.

[quote name='sigmano9']do a lot of people still play online? cause i remember playing online with resident evil and 90% of the time i was alone by myself. i've always wanted this game but the whole resident evil online thing and the reviews scared me off . if i know it'll be easy to hook up with people i may have to pick this up.[/QUOTE]
During the day there's usually 400-500 people on, at night the number drops to around 100. I don't have much trouble finding other people at any time, although it can be hard getting ones around your rank (but you can always help out lower-ranked players and you'll still get some useful items from the encounter).

[quote name='Salmonday']I got this game the day it came out and was very upset with it. I loved PSO, so I thought this game would be a slam dunk, but no one was ever online, and the combat seemed to be slower and sillier. Just couldn't get into it.

I agree that it's a love it or hate it game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually kinda hate having to make the PSO comparisons because the combat and equipment system is so different. It's the same type of game, but it has quite a few big differences. The combat is actually pretty tactical once you get the hang of blocking, dodging, and using traps. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did, playing the game felt like second nature. It even got to the point where I could tell when I was going to die seconds before it was going to happen, usually because I had myself backed into a corner without any stamina left as a dragon charged me...

The game is far ahead of its time. People just dont appreciate a game unless you can level up to some obscure number. The game is all about the hunt, and getting the bounty. It is actually my favorite game of ALL time. I have the poster, the desktop background, and i've pre-ordered MHF.

I HIGHLY recommend getting this game, and look up Rokstar when you sign in. I'll help you CAG n00bs kill your first Kut-Ku.

bread's done
Back