Mortal Kombat 8 (VIII) for Next-Gen to use Unreal engine!

magnawiz

CAGiversary!
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...117.htm?Page=1

(Page 2 has details about MK8)

-Will use Unreal 3 Engine
-Gritty/dirty visual look (like Gears of War)
-Everything from the previous games is being throwed down
-No 3 fighting styles
-No colorful visuals
-More darker tone
-Different control scheme
-Completely different gameplay
-November 2008 release date (aiming to that date)

This is so exciting! Finally they're doing something the tone of the game. I liked Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 but since 3, the series started become a parody of what it once was. I'd love to see a grittier MK and Unreal's engine fits perfectly!
icon_smile.gif
I'm so happy. I hope they keep some sort of humor though, but not exaggerate it. I also hope they get a new writer for the story. Anyway, I'm so excited and I can't wait to see what the fatalities will be like in this darker game! Imagine, fatalities could be an interactive mini-game where you torture your opponent like in Saw! LOL Wow. I can't wait :hot:

Everything is using the Unreal engine now....before you know it every game will resemble Gears of War.

Still, I do love MK so I'll probably get it when it comes out.

I'd take anything game informer says about MK with a grain of salt.. those guys have been wayy too loving of MK ever since Deadly Alliance. They're the only mainstream reviewer that didn't realize how horrible the last gen MKs were.

It's mostly good news though. The series needs a reinvention. Not like fighting games are relevant anyway anymore.. or like we need anything else this year except VF5..

Hehe, I have a few ideas up my sleeves for fighting games when I become some sort of game maker :O :p

Bullshit about him trashing everything.

Boon has had a hard on for Scorpion ever since the series was created... they will throw Scorpion in there, just so it still "feels" like Mortal Kombat to the general public.

And the new character designs for the last three games were boring, generic, and shitty... I'd hate to see what a game that JUST features new character designs will be like. I can't think of a decent new character in the last three games that I'd like to see more of.

Oh yeah I heard Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the only ones Boon's keeping because they're like the trademark of the series. Everything else is new. I think I also heard somewhere (Game Informer?) that they'll show Scorpion in his human form, as Hanzo. But I think that's just a rumor.

Thats a really nice read,Shaolin monks was fun beacuase you could play co-op mode with a friend,armagedon havent played yet,but i will very soon.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I thought Armageddon was supposed to be the final MK game. I guess as long as the franshise turns a profit they won't give up on it.[/QUOTE]

No, it was the last game with a real connection to the first game. Boon stated dozens of times he wanted to re-invent the franchise on new console (read: Scrap all Tobias' bullshit storylines)

A full "restart" of the franchise could be cool. The original MKs were fun, if not incredibly unique. I'd love to see them take the story seriously and bring back some of the main original cast, but with a grittier take. Of course, "grittier" sometimes just means more sex and cursing, which isn't what I think will help the game. I'd love to see something a little bit creepy/scary.

Awesome to hear it will use the Unreal engine. However, he says he was wow'd by GoW graphics(werent we all). Hopefully they do some more with it graphically since the wow factor will be long gone between the days of fall 2006 to fall 2008.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I thought Armageddon was supposed to be the final MK game. I guess as long as the franshise turns a profit they won't give up on it.[/quote]

the final last gen mk game...

its next gen time bitches!!!\

count me in on launch day!

See, the good thing about the Unreal 3 engine is that it's so versatile and you can really do whatever you want with it and have it look good and run well in terms of performance. Unfortunately for Boon, you still can't polish a turd with it.

I'm sorry guyver2077, I'm not trying to rag on you, but I just find you a hilarious person.

You have a Bill Goldberg Avatar, your location is "miami, fl Madden SUCKS!", and, in 2007, you're still a (extremely hardcore) Mortal Kombat fanboy.

Does anyone else think this isn't a smart move? Why alienate the legions of MK fans by introducing a completely different control mechanic? I don't think this is going to win any new MK fans, for sure.

Lose current fanbase + not attract any new fans = lower sales

Am I right here?

[quote name='jrutz']Does anyone else think this isn't a smart move? Why alienate the legions of MK fans by introducing a completely different control mechanic? I don't think this is going to win any new MK fans, for sure.

Am I right here?[/QUOTE]

I hate all the new characters, and at this point Boon has pretty much made every old character a fucking shallow shell of what they used to be (Jax, Reptile).

I'd rather he starts over, really puts some thought into it and make some AWESONE new characters, and I will buy it.

But the last three games had the *worst* character designs I've ever seen... they were so uninspried and generic. Kira? Kobra? Darrius? Yawn.

[quote name='jrutz']Does anyone else think this isn't a smart move? Why alienate the legions of MK fans by introducing a completely different control mechanic? I don't think this is going to win any new MK fans, for sure.

Am I right here?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there are legions any longer. Sure, DA and Deception sold well enough but I don't think there was a major following. Atleast compared to the original titles. Besides the standard MK characters (Scorpion, etc.), how many fans could recognize new characters Li Mei or Mavado from Adam? I know I couldn't.

As I said earlier, this reinvention of the franchise is an attempt by Boon to have complete control over the MK universe instead of having to fall back on Tobais' storylines. Can he do a better job? I don't know. I haven't found any real information about how much of the storylines he created rather than just using old notes.

Am I right here?[/QUOTE]

I doubt that it'll alienate that many fans. Most people who play MK are probably very casual gamers who don't have any real strategy... so it'll be a cinch for them to start using a new control scheme. As for getting new fans, they're probably banking on the new designs for the characters to help achieve that. While I doubt this game will attract new fans since people know whether they like MK or not by this point, it does offer something sorta new for those who do like the game... so I doubt it'll be a complete disaster in terms of sales.

[quote name='Roufuss']at this point Boon has pretty much made every old character a fucking shallow shell of what they used to be (Jax, Reptile)[/QUOTE]

While I agree with the Reptile accusation, I never thought much of Jax to begin with.

[quote name='jimfoley16']While I agree with the Reptile accusation, I never thought much of Jax to begin with.[/QUOTE]

He was alot better with the Bionic Arms and purple pants then he was being some kind of generic army character.

[quote name='Roufuss']He was alot better with the Bionic Arms and purple pants then he was being some kind of generic army character.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that any character is better with bionic arms and purple pants....

except Jax!
nkombat26lc3.gif

Am I right here?[/QUOTE]

I think it's a very smart move. I know I'm going to track the game's progress now, since it's all new. If it was just another game based on the MK5 engine, I would've ignored it completely.

I don't have a lot of faith that it's going to turn out well though...

[quote name='jer7583']I'd take anything game informer says about MK with a grain of salt.. those guys have been wayy too loving of MK ever since Deadly Alliance. They're the only mainstream reviewer that didn't realize how horrible the last gen MKs were.[/QUOTE]

Preach on, brother-man. They gave Deadly Alliance, what? A 9.75? For the love of god people ... a 9.75 for Deadly Alliance. That score alone was enough to get me to not renew my subscription.

bread's done
Back