MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! - "Komplete Edition" coming Feb 28th - see post 970

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
2dugw9y.jpg

[size=+2]April 19, 2011[/size]

---------------------------------------------------

[size=-2]The story begins after the events of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, but then returns to the period in which the first three games - Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, and Mortal Kombat 3 - occur. The story retells the events of the original trilogy, in an alternate timeline where Raiden receives a message from himself in the prime future where Armageddon has happened and Shao Kahn became the supreme leader of all the realms. Because of this plot, characters and scenarios present are the classic ones, bringing the old back to new and starting a new conflict.

Mortal Kombat includes 3D graphics, with gameplay solely on the 2D plane (2.5D). The developers have also stated that this is the first game in which they are making a conscious effort to create deeper gameplay for more dedicated players of the series and of fighting games in general.

Some modes that have been confirmed are the online mode, the Tag-Team fighting mode, and the Challenge Tower. The Online mode will include a King of the Hill option, where up to eight players will be able to spectate on fights and play the winner; include a rating system where spectators can rate the battles after it is over, and act as a "forum" to find out how to perform various combos or moves they see while spectating a fight.
The four player tag-team feature is completely new to the series, where two players can choose to play together. During a tag-team fight, characters can briefly come in and out of the stage and perform "assist attacks", or can perform "special entry attacks" where the tagged character can enter the stage while attacking and remain in the combat while the other character jumps out.

The Challenge Tower mode is a single player option, that Ed Boon described as "similar to an arcade ladder". It will include specific challenges of various difficulties providing currency rewards upon completion; players will have the option of using up some of this in-game currency to by-pass the more difficult challenges.[/size]

[size=+1]REVIEWS[/size]

1up - "NetherRealm Studios (has gone) above and beyond the call of duty to provide us not only the Mortal Kombat we've all been waiting for, but also laying a blueprint for what's to be expected content-wise for all future fighting games."
Rating: A-

http://www.1up.com/reviews/mortal-kombat-review

Giant Bomb - "Mortal Kombat probably contains the best collection of single-player elements of any fighting game, ever."
Rating: 5 out of 5

http://www.giantbomb.com/mortal-kombat/61-25042/reviews/

IGN - "Mortal Kombat combines the novelty of extreme violence with a great fighting engine."
Rating: 80%

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1162160p1.html

Games Radar -"A bloody good fighter that reboots and redeems the wayward series."
Rating: 80%

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/m...1041822464379342652/g-2010061085535550091/p-3

Machinima - "It’s full of kontent...violent as hell, and generally fucking awesome."
Rating: 9 out of 10

http://blog.machinima.com/insidegaming/2011/04/19/mortal-kombat-review/

-Roster-
[size=+1]Baraka • Cyrax • Ermac • Jade • Jax • Johnny Cage • Kabal • Kano • Kitana • Kung Lao • Liu Kang • Mileena • Nightwolf • Noob Saibot • Raiden • Reptile • Scorpion • Sektor • Shang Tsung • Sheeva • Sindel • Smoke • Sonya • Stryker • Sub Zero[/size]

-Unlockable Characters- (via playing through Story Mode)
[size=+1]Cyber Sub-Zero • Quan Chi[/size]

-Bosses- (not playable)
[size=+1]Goro • Kintaro • Shao Kahn[/size]

-DLC characters-
[size=+1]Skarlet • Kenshi • Rain • Freddy Krueger[/size]
Characters are 400 points each, unless you buy the Mortal Kombat "Season Pass" from the in-game downloadable content menu. This costs 1200 points and will give you all 4 characters as they become available.

-Other DLC-
[size=+1]Classic Cyrax Skin • Classic Sektor Skin • Classic Smoke Skin • Classic Noob Saibot Skin • Classic Sub-Zero (MK3) Skin • Classic Cyber Sub-Zero[/size]
These skins are free,

[size=+3]Videos[/size]

[size=+1]Announcement trailer:[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is33FDaqID0
[size=+1]Other videos:[/size]

[size=+2]Standard Edition[/size]
10pqagl.jpg

[size=+2]Kollector's Edition[/size]
2ccpj44.jpg

*Kollectible Figurines - of Scorpion and Sub-Zero that double up as video game bookends for your favorite Mortal Kombat games. Hand sculpted with high level of detail. Decorated using an artful combination of spray mask, tampo print, free spray and hand washes
*"The Art of Mortal Kombat" - a 110+ page book featuring original concept sketches and game art from the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat
*Retro Ninja costume - exclusive alternate in-game costume inspired by the original character designs (NOTE: this is supposedly an Ermac alt costume)
*Customize your Xbox LIVE avatar with Mortal Kombat costumes and challenge your friends in our new King of the Hill online mode

[size=+2]Tournament Edition[/size]
316t4qq.jpg

*Mortal Kombat Fight Stick
**High quality, authentic Suzo Happ arcade parts for the ultimate in performance.
**Designed exclusively by NetherRealm Studios
**Inspired by the wooden arcade cabinets from the golden age of gaming
**Features the classic Mortal Kombat ergonomic button layout to best optimize game play
**Memory foam underside for comfortable lap use
**Flip open lid for easy arcade part customization access and storage
*Retro Ninja costume - exclusive alternate in-game costume inspired by the original character designs (NOTE: this is supposedly an Ermac alt costume)
*Customize your Xbox LIVE avatar with Mortal Kombat costumes and challenge your friends in our new King of the Hill online mode

---------------------------------------------------​

[size=+1]Pre-order exclusives[/size]

The following were pre-order bonuses. Most are no longer available in this fashion now that the game has been released - see below for alternate options for purchasing these:

Amazon pre-order: Reptile classic costume & fatality bonus
Best Buy pre-order: Sub-Zero classic costume & fatality bonus
Gamestop pre-order: Scorpion classic costume & fatality bonus
Wal-Mart pre-order: Mileena classic costume
Toys R Us pre-order: Kitana classic costume
The classic/preorder costumes are not in the Krypt. However, you can purchase them from the in-game downloadable content menu under Klassic Skins Pack #1. This pack costs 400 points and includes the above 5 costumes, as well as Ermac's classic costume and the Jade costume that comes with the Blu-Ray discs (see below - this Klassic Skins pack is the only way to get the Jade classic costume on the Xbox 360).

[size=+1]Other exclusives[/size]
2ik2l8g.jpg

Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat: Annihilation debut on Blu-Ray on 4/19/11:
(Jade classic costume download with both films) **UPDATE: JADE CONTENT IS FOR PS3 ONLY**
Buy Mortal Kombat Blu-Ray at Amazon
Buy Mortal Kombat Annihilation Blu-Ray at Amazon

[size=+1]Related items[/size]
28ho3o2.jpg

Mortal Kombat: Songs Inspired By The Warriors: Mortal Kombat: Songs Inspired By The Warriors

Last edited by a moderator:
(reserved)
Probably my most anticipated game of this year. Definitely so at least until the holiday season.

Retailer-exclusive preorder bonuses can suck it.

If you haven't watched the Giant Bomb preview video, it's worth a look. It's in the spoiler'd "other videos" section above. I'm assuming the 360 demo will be coming within the next couple of weeks, it's still a PS3 exclusive at the moment.

I preordered collectors edition can't wait. Ive been playin the demo a bunch. Im up in the air about buying the movie for jade though.

I saw on the MK Facebook page that you can pre-order the stick separately...for the same price as the full Tournament Edition. How stupid. If nothing else someone should just buy another TE and sell the extra copy of the game & bonuses to make some of their money back. I'm considering doing that myself (will likely buy the KE since I want the bookends).

[quote name='jonathanp']Any idea when the demo comes out?[/QUOTE]

Nah, but I'm assuming it won't be long now since we're less than a month away. Maybe another week and a half? Your guess is as good as mine.

[quote name='guyver2077']Have both of them preordered anyways but the dlc is only for ps3????[/QUOTE]

Where did you see that? I guess I missed it - although it wouldn't surprise me since Midw...er, WB/Neatherrealm is being pretty buddy-buddy with the PS3 with this game. I will update the OP if that's the case though.

Is amazon going to have jade dlc? I read somewhere it was gamestop selling the movies for 20 and you get jade dlc code.

I'm in. this looks like a Street Fighter 4 type of a relaunch. I havnt played MK in a while but i remember the 2nd playing like tekken with juggles and super moves. the combo system that was introduced afterwards imo was a mistake and im glad they dropped it in the remake( although that run button on the TE stick scares me haha).

anyways i got a SF te stick so i'll most likely put block and run on the outer 2 buttons. :)

Hm. I pre-ordered my TE at gamestop online before researching the pre-order bonuses.

I've always been a Sub-Zero fan first and foremost. Long shot, but anybody want to trade their Best Buy Sub-Zero code for my Scorpion code when the game arrives? If anybody'd be up for it, PM me- but I'm guessing the vast majority of you guys did your research.

But if anybody's having second thoughts and would rather be burning somebody alive than ripping their spine out... let me know. And now... back to lurkland I go.

EDIT: Probably should have mentioned I'm getting the 360 version. Also, would consider outright buying a code but not for very much, as I am poor. :)

Sony probably made a deal with WB to get the demo early and possibly exclusively. no biggie, my preorder is locked in.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Aww.. just noticed Kano hasn't been confirmed.[/QUOTE]

DLC is the answer...and you know they're going to stack the DLC and milk it for all it's worth.

[quote name='100xp']DLC is the answer...and you know they're going to stack the DLC and milk it for all it's worth.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure I can celebrate the fact that you're right...

I'd buy it if it were reasonably priced, but I've really curbed down a lot of console DLC purchases. Where's it go when we hit next gen?

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I'm not so sure I can celebrate the fact that you're right...

I'd buy it if it were reasonably priced, but I've really curbed down a lot of console DLC purchases. Where's it go when we hit next gen?[/QUOTE]

I'm mixed on the DLC for fighting games, it works if you enjoy the game a lot and want more without having to buy a reincarnation of the original *cough* *capcom* but if it's just stretching the dollar for an alternate outfit, I seriously hope it's not going to be like 400 ms points for a new character. etc. Despite buying both map packs for Reach, I find myself playing more FF lately and grifball than actually on the maps. *shrugs*

when we hit next gen? it stays with your console...and the next gen becomes next gen. you figure most of the consoles were backward compatiable for a bit, I don't see why the next gen wouldn't be either. besides another console doesn't stop you from playing any of your old games, content, etc...and most of us have probably traded our old game away anyway for new ones.

First DLC already announced...for some reason.

Regardless, I'll buy 'em. I don't buy DLC for games I know I'm going to get rid of eventually, but I don't see getting rid of this game. Plus, the inclusion of Scarlet is pretty fucking cool...very MK-ish.

Joystiq article:
Netherrealm's Hans Lo recently revealed to CVG that two new kombatants are already in the works for post-launch DLC: Series regular Kenshi, and "Scarlet," a fully fleshed-out character based on a glitch in the old Mortal Kombat arcade machines, which turned Jade, Kitana and Milena blood red.

Lo explained, "People always thought it was a hidden unlockable character and it wasn't, it was purely a programming glitch." He added, "She's no longer a glitch - she's an actual character, and she'll be coming pretty soon post-launch."

Character select screen's been leaked. It really does contain spoilers, so don't click if you don't want to know.

6h52pjz.jpg

Why would Kano be DLC? (he's not). I really don't understand peoples' aversion to DLC characters created post launch. It's just silly. Do people band together and denounced mappacks now?

I fucking WISH people would band together and denounce map packs...and all overpriced/bullshit DLC for that matter. On a related note, this DLC makes me think there will be a "Komplete Edition" that comes out later on with all the extra characters.

Here's the key for that image in the spoilers. I'll keep it out of the OP for now, but if Neatherrealm drags their feet on announcing the roster I'll probably just add it to the first post in a week or so.

Row 1: Scorpion, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero
Row 2: Sindel, Ermac, Reptile, Kitana
Row 3: Johnny Cage, Jade, Mileena, Nightwolf
Row 4: Cyrax, Noob Saibot, Smoke, Sektor
Row 5: Sonya, Jax, Kano, Stryker
Row 6: Shang Tsung, Baraka, Kabal, Raiden
Row 7: Cyber Sub-Zero (Hidden/DLC Slot 1), Sheeva, Quan Chi, Cyber Sub-Zero (Hidden/DLC Slot 2)

I almost wonder if that's a mistake or something,
(seems like it could be Cyber-Smoke as well)
but I hope it is accurate.

Yeah, will be interested to see what the storyline is for that character, since
Sub-Zero is the brother of the original, and Noob Saibot is original Sub-Zero.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah, will be interested to see what the storyline is for that character, since
[/QUOTE]

There are two main schools of thought as to how this happened:
1) Cyber Sub-Zero is the original Sub-Zero's body, whereas Noob is the original Sub-Zero's soul.
2) Cyber Sub-Zero is the younger Sub-Zero. This makes sense since, in this alternate past, Smoke is human (both fled the Lin Kuei when they starting making cyborgs. In the original past, Sub-Zero escaped while Smoke did not.)

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah, will be interested to see what the storyline is for that character, since
[/QUOTE]

Really don't remember that. When did that happen? I guess I need to get burshed up on my MK again.

[quote name='GuardianE']There are two main schools of thought as to how this happened:
1) Cyber Sub-Zero is the original Sub-Zero's body, whereas Noob is the original Sub-Zero's soul.
2) Cyber Sub-Zero is the younger Sub-Zero. This makes sense since, in this alternate past, Smoke is human (both fled the Lin Kuei when they starting making cyborgs. In the original past, Sub-Zero escaped while Smoke did not.)
[/QUOTE]

I don't know why but I think I remember in the old cartoon the cyborgs being talked about and it was shown with Smoke not getting away. I would put a spoiler on that but it was about a cartoon that is what oever 10 years old and we all know Smoke at one time was human and then was changed into a cyborg.

Also as for the spoiler in the select screen can't you just take the image and cut out that part then save it on some image hosting site?

Happy with pretty much everyone's designs, except
Cyber Sub-Zero (Why is he even in this game?), Ermac, and Smoke (This one is by far the worst.) I also hate Reptile's but at least his ninja suit is an alt costume. I hope Smoke has one too. I'd even settle for Robo Smoke.

In regards to that leaked character select screen - I think it's pretty awesome that they got Fulgore in this game ;).

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I've been intentionally avoiding info on it but it seems to really be shaping up from what I've been reading about it recently.

[quote name='hufferstl']This game needs a QTE fatality option for local multiplayer for casual players. I hope it has one.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think that would take the fun out of button mashing trying to figure the fatality out. My favorite MK moment was pulling the Sub-Zero spine rip fatality on a friend's GEN version by pure accident!

Also, I did not know about the Meleena DLC exclusive to Wal-Mart. Already have it pre-ordered @ Amazon but that's still interesting to note.

[quote name='GuardianE']I really don't understand peoples' aversion to DLC characters created post launch. It's just silly. Do people band together and denounced mappacks now?[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that shit either. $15 for some fucking maps? Go to hell!

[quote name='KaneRobot']I fucking WISH people would band together and denounce map packs...and all overpriced/bullshit DLC for that matter. On a related note, this DLC makes me think there will be a "Komplete Edition" that comes out later on with all the extra characters.[/QUOTE]

Komplete Edition kind of gets screwy too. Do you double-dip or wait it out? This is Cheap Ass Gamer after all.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Where is my 360 demo?[/QUOTE]

I've read on other forums that people are speculating an April 12th release for the demo.

All the stages revealed. WARNING: Big image and spoiler alert....

98594171.jpg

I love the updates to a lot of the old MK stages.

Stages look beautiful. I kind of want to hold out for a lower price but I'm pretty amped up for this game.

Didn't realize it until now but this is a prequel or altered history?

[quote name='MtlTom']All the stages revealed. WARNING: Big image and spoiler alert....

98594171.jpg

I love the updates to a lot of the old MK stages.[/QUOTE]

Don't see any spoiler in that image. Hell if their is then it is not as obvious as the character select screen spoiler.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Stages look beautiful. I kind of want to hold out for a lower price but I'm pretty amped up for this game.

Didn't realize it until now but this is a prequel or altered history?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly it takes place at the end of the last game and before 3. Future Rayden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn at the end of the last game. He sends a message back to himself some time in between 2 and 3 to warn his past self about what happens.

I guess this shit is going to be the norm more and more. Ugh.

Joystiq:

Warner Bros. may be following in the (very large) footsteps of Electronic Arts and THQ when it comes to discouraging -- or at least profiting from -- the sale of used games. Joystiq has learned from a tipster that when Mortal Kombat hits shelves on April 19, its box will include an "online pass" token that must be redeemed before playing online. At present, WBIE evidently intends to do the same for its high-profile releases F.E.A.R. 3 and Batman: Arkham City. Since the latter won't feature multiplayer, though, the token would have to unlock some other (equally attractive) content.

According to an email obtained from our source, which appears intended for retailers, WBIE won't be promoting the pass -- in fact, no reference to it will appear on the game's packaging. Instead, it is apparently providing retailers with details on the pass, including how to purchase a new one if you're buying a used copy of the game. Unsurprisingly, a new pass will run 800 Microsoft Points / $10 for Xbox 360 and PS3, respectively. We've contacted WBIE for comment on this information.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I think I found an answer to my question... http://twitter.com/noobde/status/50631030100594688[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mention the retailer exclusive costumes, just unlockable alt costumes. I doubt the retailer exclusive ones will be in the Krypt...hopefully they'll be put up for download at some point, though.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That doesn't mention the retailer exclusive costumes, just unlockable alt costumes. I doubt the retailer exclusive ones will be in the Krypt...hopefully they'll be put up for download at some point, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I sorta thought about that after I posted the link up. I just asked them if the retailer exclusive costumes will be in the Krypt too. I doubt I'll get a reply, but if I do, I'll post the response in here.

bread's done
Back