Most expensive game you've ever bought

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Somebody was discussing this in another forum.

What's the highest price game you've ever bought? This includes pinball machines and arcade boards.

Mine would have to be a converted cart of Super Dodge Ball for the Neo Geo - $500. Worth every penny.
2nd most expensive would have to be retail price Neo Geo carts Sengoku 3, KoF 2000, 2001, Metal Slug X, SvC Chaos.

I've also bought arcade cab Xmen for $240

We have a Dracula Pinball Machine and Golden Tee arcade in the house, can't remember exactly how much we paid but it was a pretty hefty amount.

Dragon Ball Z Goku Gekitouden around 80 back in 96. Sold it and basically made the money back after playing it for a few years.

$70 SFAII for the snes either that or it was $70 for SM:RPG it's been a while.

I got a collector's edition version of Cyberbots for the Saturn off of eBay for $170 a long time ago. I sold it a year or so later little while later for about the same.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Various SNES games that came to $86 after taxes[/QUOTE]

Is that like Chrono Trigger brand new at release or somepin?

Because Ebay doesn't charge tax.

Neo-Geo home games will almost always beat out games on other systems in price. It's amazing that some of those games still retain their value even after being ported to other consoles. Or even compared to the arcade cart counterpart. Sad to think that my MVS Real Bout 2 I paid $45 woulda been hundreds if it were AES.

A few years back I got Steel Battalion for $100 when Media Play were getting rid of them, and that doesn't trump the people that paid $300 for it on release.

[quote name='Mafia']Neo-Geo home games will almost always beat out games on other systems in price. It's amazing that some of those games still retain their value even after being ported to other consoles. Or even compared to the arcade cart counterpart. Sad to think that my MVS Real Bout 2 I paid $45 woulda been hundreds if it were AES.

[/QUOTE]

The only games that could trump them are arcade boards or pinball machines.

I've heard of people paying in the upwards of 1000s for Cave Shooters at release.

I've never paid more than $60 out of pocket.

Growing up the most I can remember my parents paying for a game they bought me was $70 (I think) for Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES. Think it launched at $80, but I got it a while later on sale or after a price drop etc.

I've never bought any of the CEs as I don't like nicknacks and I don't keep games after I'm done playing them very often anyway.

I paid $100 for a mint Panzer Dragoon Saga about a year ago. Don't regret that one bit, one of the greatest games of all time.

CoD Modern Warfare Prestige edition and the DLC = $165 plus tax. but i had a lot of Gamestop promos and trade-ins so it was about 20 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']Is that like Chrono Trigger brand new at release or somepin?

Because Ebay doesn't charge tax.[/QUOTE]

Er, I've been gaming for over 20 years, so I would have bought the vast majority of my games from an actual store. SNES games were regularly $69.99 or $79.99 plus tax.

Almost paid $660+tax for MGS4.
Had the money on hand and was about to go buy it (and a PS3) but something came up at the last minute so I didn't.

Resident Evil 5 CE $90
Went in for the regular edition, came out with the CE.
Was a bit dumbfounded they had extra CE, and the line was forming so I just threw money at them. Didn't notice the price until I got out the door.
'Sal right, I enjoyed the game.

edit;
Forgot to mention GRAAAAAAAWWW for the 360.

Gamestop had the 360+Ghost Recon bundle for Christmas, paid $400ish

"No Fear" pinball machine, bought from a guy that lost his job, $1600 delivered for a machine in near mint condition. For consoles, bought some "Dragon Ball GT - Final Bout" game for about $125 and flipped it on Ebay for around $250.

Rock Band band bundle when it first came out. Though I'm confident Rock Band 3 bundle is going to cost me a pretty penny more.

I figured I have spent $500+ on Rock Band/Guitar Hero. I don't regret any single purchase, but the total is a little staggering.

I spent $80 on Dungeons & Dragons Collection for the Saturn.

Most expensive game I sold was Valkyrie Profile for $180

Though it's not really a game itself, just FOR a game, I spent $300 on an ION Rock Band Drumkit (Big fan of drumming in general). Then I found out that I can't calibrate Rock Band 2 correctly on my HDTV. That was...interesting.

I don't think I've ever spent more than $60 out of pocket myself either.

Around $120 for Castlevania Rondo of Blood for PC Engine CD. Worth every penny, even with the Virtual Console release of the game. Second place goes to the Neo Geo home cart of King of Fighters '98 at around $110.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Around $600 on WoW. I don't think I've ever gotten a better deal on a game though, $15 a month is a steal if you play enough.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's a lot for one game... Most I've ever spent on a game was 80 on a Super Nintendo game back in the day.

$250 on my NBA Jam arcade cab.. But don't really consider it a purchase since I sold my Wii bundle for $270 around the same time.

As far as actual game purchases, I think CODMW2 might be the only $60 purchase I've made in recent memory.. Preordered it a few days before launch

I spent approx. $350 (including shipping) for the Japanese Advent Children limited edition box set some years ago, which included a special copy of FFVII International. Does that count?

If not, that would be the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE, which I preordered for $100.

Money over time would have to be World of Warcraft or Rock Band DLC

$170+tax for the original Rock Band 360 bundle

$70+tax for Super Mario RPG

I've bought all the RB games ever released on my PS3, plus some extra guitars, accessories & hefty amount of DLC. All in all I figure I've spent $1100 on that stuff alone. I paid $530 for my MGS4 PS3 bundle and I think the most I've ever spent on a game was around $80 for SMRPG about 10 years back.
Oh, the Batman: AA CE, Bioshock II CE & GOWIII UE cost me $100 each.

[quote name='drooli']Bought Mass Effect 2 CE for $70. Worst decision ever.[/QUOTE]

Why i bought it for 60 new prob. one of my favs.

I paid $200 for Steel Battalion at launch (which was msrp, not $300). Don't plan on topping that.

$100 on a Metal Gear Solid Colector's Edition for the original Playstation. It came in a silver box with a dog tag, a t-shirt, the game and if memory serves me correct a soundtrack and/or an artbook.

Like an idiot I sold it to a friend after being afriad to open any of the contents for $150. I probably should have kept it because I've never seen another one like it in my life.

I also dropped $100 on my first aracde machine: a game made in 1979 by Nintendo called Space Fever.

$70 for Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64

Edit: That's a lie, it was actually $120 for Rock Band.

$100 on Beatmania IIDX 4th Style, back when it was hard to find and I had to sign up at rinkya to get it. Of course my initial investment to start playing IIDX was $250 for a JPS2, $90 for the controller, and $80 for IIDX 6th Style, so $420 total. I don't regret it at all.

I paid retail for Rock band but that shouldn't really count.

But I did pay like 80 bucks to import a the UK DC version of Shenmue 2.

I think that honor would go to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. I think the total for that game cost me a little over $80 back in the day.

I think mine would be either the Alan Wake LE or the Fallout 3 CE. I think both were 80. I didn't preoroder the Fallout 3 CE because I was on the ropes for the game and I went in to Gamestop to pick up a cheap used game for some reason. Anyways, they had a Collector's Edition of Fallout 3 there and it was the only one so I bit the bullet. Gotta love the lunchbox and pipboy bobblehead. :p

bread's done
Back